THE BROWNS BOARD

All this nonsense talk about the run defense....

Tacosman

is just that....nonsense.

There is NO CORRELATION between run defense and value in the nfl in 2017.  Whether opposing teams average 3.0 or 3.7 ypc is completely meaningless.  Actually in a weird way if you have a mediocre to bad run defense it may help because teams may be tricked into running more on 1st down(which analytically is a bad move)....

Anyone who raves about our high ranked run defense doesn't understand analytics in the nfl today.  It's the equivalent of the rbi stat in baseball. 

5 hours ago, Tacosman said:

is just that....nonsense.

There is NO CORRELATION between run defense and value in the nfl in 2017.  Whether opposing teams average 3.0 or 3.7 ypc is completely meaningless.  Actually in a weird way if you have a mediocre to bad run defense it may help because teams may be tricked into running more on 1st down(which analytically is a bad move)....

Anyone who raves about our high ranked run defense doesn't understand analytics in the nfl today.  It's the equivalent of the rbi stat in baseball. 

So is it meaningless is they allow 5ypc? 15ypc? 20 ypc? It is far from a meaningless stat, what you maybe can question is the scale of comparison not the overall stat. 

ah. so, Taco thinks that if a rb runs for 200 yards against us in a game, that is the same as

stuffing the running game into the turf for no or little gain for much of the season....

must have been a bad Taco.

7 hours ago, Tacosman said:

Actually in a weird way if you have a mediocre to bad run defense it may help because teams may be tricked into running more on 1st down(which analytically is a bad move)....

Where the he** did you come up with this garbage?

Here's the last 10 Super Bowl winners, and their run defense ranking:

2016: New England #4

2015: Denver #3

2014: New England #9

2013: Seattle #8

2012: Baltimore #20

2011: NY Giants #19

2010: Green Bay #18

2009: New Orleans #21

2008: Pittsburgh #2

2007: NY Giants #8

They were derelict in run defense on purpose btw. Their dc's philosophy was we'll try and stop the run otw to the qb. They did that because manning scored so much so early that teams had to immediately throw the ball to keep up. 

Lemme know if that kind of offensr is lurking on this roster taco. Go on and check ill wait right here

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

ah. so, Taco thinks that if a rb runs for 200 yards against us in a game, that is the same as

stuffing the running game into the turf for no or little gain for much of the season....

must have been a bad Taco.

bad rushing vs #s? well the analytics sat nay. but the 500 total yds every game have fans that count with their front hooves saying PFFFFFTTTT!

yeah and come correct me about #s cuz i don't care. 0-8 is the only # that counts, greg williams or not.

still waiting on old douchebags to say we were great without modell as owner. when with who and what?

chirp.

Hey, I'm as frustrated and flat out angry as anyone about this team, but even I have to admit there's progress with stopping the run. Don't forget that stopping the run has killed us forever, and it's been something we've really struggled with for quite some time. Remember all of the talk about the 3-4 defense and how it wasn't designed to stop the run, and how so many fans wanted a 4-3 and blah blah blah. Well, that talk stemmed from the fact that we couldn't stop the darn run. We couldn't force punts. We couldn't get sacks because we didn't have enough 3rd and longs. 

I'm not saying our defense is a finished product. We obviously have several areas to improve upon. The Jabril Peppers pick was a severe waste and something that will haunt us for years to come. We basically got a kick returner in the 1st round. I can't even say PUNT returner because the guy fair catches the ball even when he has 15 yards of clear space. We need another CB, Free Safety, 3rd down pass rusher (Ogbah has turned into a run stuffing machine), and more depth at other positions. But our defense is in the verge of being solid. The biggest issue with the last game is that we didn't have a darn pass rusher. How many times were we ALMOST there and Keenum burned us? Heck, if Garrett was out there the entire GAME could've been different. We simply don't have enough guys that can knife their way to the qb. 

But I don't think it's fair to trivialize the stout run defense. We've made progress on an important aspect of the game, and I'm happy about it. Our defense started out AWFUL in the red zone and it hurt us early in the season. But they've buttoned it up a bit more and it's the offense that can't score and can't sustain drives. Again, please look at the number of 3 and outs our pathetic offense had in the second half. 4 or 5, right? Maybe 6? Defense can't stay rested and play well when they are perpetually on the darn field. 

26 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Talking about a good run defense on an 0-8 team, is like shining up a car that doesn’t have an engine.

actually, I think it's more like driving with flat tires on the one side...

Guys, I get that...I really do. But look at like building a car from SCRATCH. We're not repairing a vehicle. We're not shining a new car with no engine. We've got a FRAME and the run defense is tires and brakes. The pass defense, which needs help, will be another piece. But let's be honest...nothing matters until we get the engine....which is obviously the QB. 

What I DON'T understand is cutting Haden. How does that help us? Was he great? No. Was he pretty good? Yep. Why cut him? Watching Kizer play actually hurts my heart. Watching him try to score in the red zone is PAINFUL. I'm not saying to cut him, but I'm to the point where I want Kaepernick. There...I said it. 

wait... I've always said the offensive line is the engine, the wr's/rb's/te are the tires,

and the qb is the steering wheel. The offense is lacking the steering wheel and tires.

Although, the qb is probably more like the steering wheel and ignition... that's the key...

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

wait... I've always said the offensive line is the engine, the wr's/rb's/te are the tires,

and the qb is the steering wheel. The offense is lacking the steering wheel and tires.

Although, the qb is probably more like the steering wheel and ignition... that's the key...

As a Browns fan it makes me want to start inhaling the exhaust fumes.

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Here's the last 10 Super Bowl winners, and their run defense ranking:

2016: New England #4

2015: Denver #3

2014: New England #9

2013: Seattle #8

2012: Baltimore #20

2011: NY Giants #19

2010: Green Bay #18

2009: New Orleans #21

2008: Pittsburgh #2

2007: NY Giants #8

What about the pass defens ranking of them....and the overall ranking?

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

As a Browns fan it makes me want to start inhaling the exhaust fumes.

Hey lets just drown our sorrows in a bottle of pineola and tonic on the side....

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

$10 says a search shows Taco beachin' ,bout our run D last season...

thats ten bucks you would lose.

the nfl is not a running league.  the nfl is a passing league.  Not a balanced league.  

Meaningless cliches like "stop the run and run the ball" are just that....meaningless.  

you win on defense in the nfl by stopping big plays through the air and getting off the field on third down(which is a passing down in the nfl).  Do those things and you're golden.  

There arent any teams in the nfl that can really consistently run the football with their backs.  It just isn't possible.  

2 hours ago, Tacosman said:

There arent any teams in the nfl that can really consistently run the football with their backs.  It just isn't possible.  

Wut? Did u watch the cowboys last year? Zeke was a beast. If that decense was better they might have been in the SB and zeke woyld have been a huge part of that

2 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Wins and losses arent the point. When ur defense was dead last in all categories and now isnt, thats something

6 minutes into the 3rd quarter, the Cincy Bungholes hung 31 points on that Browns defense.

I don’t think they were impressed with it.

Archived