THE BROWNS BOARD

Houston Astros...food for thought perhaps

LondonBrown

The Houston Astros just won their first World Series after recently suffering three straight 100+ loss seasons from 2011-2013 under GM Jeff Luhnow. Rather than fire him he was given a new contract in 2014 and three years later here they are.

I found a screenshot of his wiki page on twitter rather interesting....which will not doubt annoy some of you (most of whom can’t @ me for discussion rather they call me names buried in other threads, pathetic) as this isn’t baseball etc etc blah blah analytics doesn’t work. Despite vast amounts of data proving otherwise and every nfl organisation having an analytics department.

Anyhoo, here’s the passage I found interesting, especially the bottom paragraph.....get your pitchforks ready 

41B879E8-7C2D-4F3A-AD88-AEDE9C8F5B50.jpeg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

The Houston Astros just won their first World Series after recently suffering three straight 100+ loss seasons from 2011-2013 under GM Jeff Luhnow. Rather than fire him he was given a new contract in 2014 and three years later here they are.

I found a screenshot of his wiki page on twitter rather interesting....which will not doubt annoy some of you (most of whom can’t @ me for discussion rather they call me names buried in other threads, pathetic) as this isn’t baseball etc etc blah blah analytics doesn’t work. Despite vast amounts of data proving otherwise and every nfl organisation having an analytics department.

Anyhoo, here’s the passage I found interesting, especially the bottom paragraph.....get your pitchforks ready 

41B879E8-7C2D-4F3A-AD88-AEDE9C8F5B50.jpeg

Altuve isn't a corey coleman. George Springer isn't a Peppers. Morton is more skilled then Njoku, but you can't compare baseball and football. Good for the Astros.

Yep they alluded to it last night in talking about the 3 100 loss seasons in a row while accumulating a lot of young high draft choices. Big Papi in particular spoke of those highly drafted young kids who developed into the great players they thought and then they went and dropped in baseball's equivalent to a QB, Verlander.. But they also talked about the presence their old veteran on the team even though he wasn't used much in the playoffs-Carlos Beltran. Now how did we spell McCown?

Image result for bring me another dodger meme

1 minute ago, RoyceRolls said:

When people make the moneyball reference, I wonder if they’ve actually seen the movie. A good chunk of that film is dedicated to the fans and media pissing and moaning about how math doesn’t belong in sports. We’re right on track

Math can help. But it can't account for human nature and gut instinct. 

3 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I am sure that GM also had some people in house who could ID talent. I don't think anyone has an issue with the idea of accumulating picks to acquire young talent. The IDing of the talent due to the lack of a good scouting dept is the problem. They got lots of swings and turned them into lots of misses.

Solution: let’s get a bunch of new talent IDers who we know will just jump at the chance to get fire in two years! Right?

Baseball =/= Football

You would’ve been one of the guys deriding moneyball when it was first come up with. 

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

He also has a baseball background. We have a math professor running a football team. Maybe lumberjacks should pilot airliners too?

I still say, if given the opportunity I can be the captain of a nuclear submarine.

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

He also has a baseball background. We have a math professor running a football team. Maybe lumberjacks should pilot airliners too?

Some skills are transferable in certain managerial positions others are not. The more specific the tasks (like evaluating college to professional talent in a specific sport) the more specialized the managers must be. 

Another example would be a specific computer skill or engineering requirement you can NOT just throw anyone in there and expect top notch results just because they might be book smart.

Time to get it right in Cleveland, Ohio. ;)

Don’t forget SI had a “meet your 2017 World Series champs” issue in 2014. They could do that for us with 2020 but none of you have the patience to see it through that far. 

So instead, we can just pat ourselves on the back because we win 4 games/year. Sweet!

2 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Don’t forget SI had a “meet your 2017 World Series champs” issue in 2014. They could do that for us with 2020 but none of you have the patience to see it through that far. 

So instead, we can just pat ourselves on the back because we win 4 games/year. Sweet!

Because theres no fucking way in hell this team is even a playoff contender in 2020 the way things are going.    Improvement and building is one thing.   From where I sit. This team isn't any better than last years team, not significantly enough to let these assclowns continue to make decisions.   They don't make  good decisions.  They pass on playmakers in order to get more future draft picks. 

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Because theres no Shmucking way in hell this team is even a playoff contender in 2020 the way things are going.    Improvement and building is one thing.   From where I sit. This team isn't any better than last years team, not significantly enough to let these assclowns continue to make decisions.   They don't make  good decisions.  They pass on playmakers in order to get more future draft picks. 

Even if you were right about that, which you’re not whatsoever, there is zero evidence that scrapping everything would produce better results. 

6 minutes ago, wargograw said:

And who did they say would be the 2017 WS champs back there in 2014?

The IDing of the talent due to the lack of a good scouting dept is the problem. They got lots of swings and turned them into lots of misses.

How can this be the case already, after 1.5 years?? 

No way can that be judged at this time. And yes, I know what the record is. 

7 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Even if you were right about that, which you’re not whatsoever, there is zero evidence that scrapping everything would produce better results. 

How am I not right?  The team is 0-8.   That's not an improvement over last years 0-8 at the same point. 

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

How can this be the case already, after 1.5 years?? 

No way can that be judged at this time. And yes, I know what the record is. 

The Browns are swimming in WR talent  after all of those picks spent on them. I mean, they could probably trade a few because they are unneeded.

Sashi’s wife probably does the shopping so he doesn’t spend 80 bucks on moldy bread and spoiled milk.

16 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The Browns are swimming in WR after all of those picks spent on them. I mean, they could probably trade a few because they are unneeded.

Sashi’s wife probably does the shopping so he doesn’t spend 80 bucks on moldy bread and spoiled milk.

Sashi probably keeps trading his wifes expensive bread to his neighbors everyday for fresher bread, then trading even more bread till he has an army of mediocre bread.

Just now, Tacosman said:

NO NO NO NO....you  DONT get it.

The very nature of building a team in baseball and the nfl is different in just about every way.  it's apples and oranges.  Applying the 'moneyball' principles in baseball and the nfl look

totally different.

And no doubt that was the widely regarded opinion when analytics first entered baseball....

14 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

NO NO NO NO....you  DONT get it.

The very nature of building a team in baseball and the nfl is different in just about every way.  it's apples and oranges.  Applying the 'moneyball' principles in baseball and the nfl look

totally different.

Unless you can explain the exact reasons its different, you're just talking out of your butt.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And who did they say would be the 2017 WS champs back there in 2014?

Houston....

4 hours ago, Mark O said:

How am I not right?  The team is 0-8.   That's not an improvement over last years 0-8 at the same point. 

So because they’re 0-8 now they won’t do anything in 2020? You really think that’s a logical case?

Just now, wargograw said:

So because they’re 0-8 now they won’t do anything in 2020? You really think that’s a logical case?

At the present rate of improvement??  No they won't.   1-15 last season has "improved" to 0-8 this season.   But according to you, we're supposed to be patient and trust the guys in the front office who keep missing on star players.  Got it.   So we should be patient and let Kizer keep playing.  Don't draft a QB next year.  He needs at least 3 years to prove that he is an inaccurate passer. 

Archived