THE BROWNS BOARD

The... I am batting (maybe alone) for the front office thread

LondonBrown

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Sounds like War's argument is- let me get this straight- the plan is working until it's proven it doesn't work. He needs to put a number of losses and years on it so we can see how much losing he'll tolerate. 

While we pin our hopes on a FO that can’t draft worth a fucc.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Let’s hope it never happens again.

I don't have a problem with thinking outside the box, per se.

I do, though, question the competency of the current front office, whose creation is a great example of "thinking outside the box".

46 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's probably a reason NFL teams haven't hired a lawyer and a baseball guy to run their teams.

Nor have the Browns but don’t let that get in the way of a good soundbite

Just now, LondonBrown said:

Nor have the Browns but don’t let that get in the way of a good soundbite

I wrote it.

Nobody actually heard me say that Sashi Brown is a lawyer and Paul DePodesta is a baseball guy.

I'm in the FO's camp, let's see it through plus several of the losses are solely on Hue. McCown can't win in Cleveland then starts winning with the Jets which all the pundits had listed as the worst team in the NFL before the start of the season? He doesn't create a rookie QB friendly game plan till the 7th game of the season, yeah Hue shares some of the blame. Plus if he had balls he'd order his DC Gregg Williams to bring Peppers back to the line of scrimmage where his strengths lie.

The video linked in the tweet below raises some great points about the FO and team from 49:30 onwards

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Sounds like War's argument is- let me get this straight- the plan is working until it's proven it doesn't work. He needs to put a number of losses and years on it so we can see how much losing he'll tolerate. 

I believe he said to me that it's at least 3 years. 

You’re not alone, London. 

This team is only a few key pieces away, which sounds crazy with how much losing they’re doing, but we must understand 

a. How crazy young this team 

b. Teams this young, with such limited veteran leadership, need to learn how to win. 

c. Kids making kid mistakes will lose to grown men who have been around the block (every team the browns will face this year). 

It really hinges on one thing: can this FO find the franchise QB. If they can hit on 3 of their first five picks this year including QB, this team is playoff bound in 2019. This defense is a few key pieces and some maturation away from being seriously good. This offense is a QB and some maturation away from being more than good enough to win. Either way, I’m not going to let millionaires running around chasing a ball ruin my life. 

23 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I believe he said to me that it's at least 3 years. 

I don't think we are going to get to see how wargo and London would act if the Browns are still circling the drain record-wise come this time next year, with this current organization as it is currently set up.

4 minutes ago, RoyceRolls said:

It really hinges on one thing: can this FO find the franchise QB. If they can hit on 3 of their first five picks this year including QB, this team is playoff bound in 2019. This defense is a few key pieces and some maturation away from being seriously good. This offense is a QB and some maturation away from being more than good enough to win. Either way, I’m not going to let millionaires running around chasing a ball ruin my life. 

The offense needs not only a QB but it needs receivers who can get open and probably a good RB as well.   Defense is closer for sure.  

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

I don't think we are going to get to see how wargo and London would act if the Browns are still circling the drain record-wise come this time next year, with this current organization as it is currently set up.

I don’t think Haslam will stand pat with this team next year.

He could tweak the coaching staff (namely add an OC), or possibly add a football guy to the FO.

But I could only imagine what the attendance would look like next year, if we keep the same staff, and winless midway through the season.

Haslam has never shown patience as an NFL owner, and I don’t think he’s going to change anytime soon.

8 minutes ago, RoyceRolls said:

You’re not alone, London. 

This team is only a few key pieces away, which sounds crazy with how much losing they’re doing, but we must understand 

a. How crazy young this team 

b. Teams this young, with such limited veteran leadership, need to learn how to win. 

c. Kids making kid mistakes will lose to grown men who have been around the block (every team the browns will face this year). 

I think you have described where I am at better than I ever have.  

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

The offense needs not only a QB but it needs receivers who can get open and probably a good RB as well.   Defense is closer for sure.  

Josh Gordon is coming back, Coleman is coming back, Njoku, Duke, Devalve, whoever gets drafted. If that isn’t enough then we haven’t answered the QB question.  The right Qb Will be able to open things up for duke, dayes, whoever gets drafted in the 5th round, and the run game will be just fine.  

Of course they need to make good picks on the offensive side of the ball, but none of them come close to the importance of a QB. 

7 minutes ago, RoyceRolls said:

Josh Gordon is coming back, Coleman is coming back, Njoku, Duke, Devalve, whoever gets drafted. If that isn’t enough then we haven’t answered the QB question.  The right Qb Will be able to open things up for duke, dayes, whoever gets drafted in the 5th round, and the run game will be just fine.  

Of course they need to make good picks on the offensive side of the ball, but none of them come close to the importance of a QB. 

Who in the building knows a good QB?

18 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Who in the building knows a good QB?

That’s a really good question. Hopefully at some point the FO realizes they can’t keep adding 20 new players a year to the roster and they just get the top Qb prospect. Either that or they luck into a franchise guy like Seattle, New England, Dallas, Washington, Oakland etc. 

my guess is they’ll keep swinging on mid round guys until one sticks or they’re fired, we will see which one comes first. 

Edit: the good news is that using 2nd 3rd 4th round picks means they can cycle through quickly and not have to waste multiple years on a bad pick just because he was a first rounder. Might as well use one 2nd and one 5th on the QB position every year until they have their guy 

I go back and forth on the FO and probably will continue to flip-flip, but right now I see a few things:

A- Hue is not a good head coach. He seems unable to put his offense in good situations and does not utilize his best weapons.  He calls plays how HE wants to call plays, rather than adapting to the strengths/weaknesses of his players. And hes a terrible game manager.

B- Williams is the exact opposite. While unpopular to move Peppers so far back, we really have given up far less big plays in the passing game this year compared to years prior.  He is the real deal and this D has a chance to be great. But please dont talk about making him our HC... even interim.

C- The FO has minimized the importance of experience. When they are making cuts and see the younger player is performing equally to the vet they have ALWAYS cut the vet.  The problem is instincts that guys in year 1-3 just havent developed.  Even if that only shows up on 1-2 plays a game, that can make a huge difference in Ws and Ls.

D- Other than Wentz, I dont think this FO has missed on a franchise QB.  Im not sold on Watson yet and Dak came out of nowhere. Give the Eagles credit for their gutsy move. These guys realized they needed TONS of talent for a QB to have a chance to succeed and Wentz was kind of a risky pick anyway. Its a shame none of those WRs have worked out,  but in reality if you hit on 50% of your draft picks then you're extremely lucky.

In all, Im 100% against Hue staying but I can see the FO pulling this off. With a better coach and 3-4 vets on the roster (kicker included- thats 2-3 Ls itself) I think we'd be seeing more progress.  Id give them 1-2 more years to build the roster and allow them to find a new HC and OC to get the most out of these young players before I go back to the carousel of reboots... oh and they NEED to get a QB.... like fast. 

PS- my plan for QB is to draft the top prospect at #1 or 2 AND make a HUGE push for Cousins. We have the picks and $$ to add both this coming year. Why not reinvent that position group with Cousins, rookie stud, Kizer... 

Just my $0.02.  Hate away...

1 hour ago, thenew23 said:

I go back and forth on the FO and probably will continue to flip-flip, but right now I see a few things:

PS- my plan for QB is to draft the top prospect at #1 or 2 AND make a HUGE push for Cousins. We have the picks and $$ to add both this coming year. Why not reinvent that position group with Cousins, rookie stud, Kizer... 

Just my $0.02.  Hate away...

Only things about Cousins. Teams that think they're only a QB away will make a big splash for Kirk. Like Denver? Doubtless the Redskins will do everything they can to keep him on top of it. If you were Cousins where would you rather play? He might well take a little less to play for a team that has real playoff potential, not a year down the road.  I don't think the Browns will be able to say they're that close- yet. We're not getting him as a one year rent-a-player either. It's going to be a multi-year contract on the high side of $100 million. It's going to turn into a bidding war deluxe. Yeah, in our dream world it would be great to have Cousins for four years, while our #1 overall draft pick sits and watches ala Green Bay with Favre and Rodgers. Finally if the current FO is 1\2 intact, doubt they will show much interest. Cousins turns 30 next year, and we're on a youth and build through the draft mode. 

10 hours ago, Mark O said:

We have 5 picks in the first two rounds, more than enough to fill the gaps we have both sides of the  ball. Then they have to gain experience playing together. I'm pretty sure that 3 years is the  minimum to see anything different, but I (and others) have been talking 3-5 years, like it or not. It takes time to turn talented youngsters into full blown monster teams that people fear to play. It's just hell getting from here to there. Nobody likes it and it's hard to be a believer when you're climbing out of the bottom of the well and can  only see a little light at the top.

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We have 5 picks in the first two rounds, more than enough to fill the gaps we have both sides of the  ball. Then they have to gain experience playing together. I'm pretty sure that 3 years is the  minimum to see anything different, but I (and others) have been talking 3-5 years, like it or not. It takes time to turn talented youngsters into full blown monster teams that people fear to play. It's just hell getting from here to there. Nobody likes it and it's hard to be a believer when you're climbing out of the bottom of the well and can  only see a little light at the top.

The problem is that when you look up Sashi pisses down into the well. He could use the toilet but traded down to just using the well.

There's probably a reason NFL teams haven't hired a lawyer and a baseball guy to run their teams.

Except, of course NFL teams have hired lawyers to run their teams.  I checked it out and like  5 current NFL GMs have law degrees....including some successful teams. 

14 hours ago, Mark O said:

Well....would Gordon and Coleman be those guys?  

And whatever happened to Matthew Dayes?

And defense need DBs....a good shutdown corner.   (but do you trust this FO to not pick another Justin Gilbert?)

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

5 picks, first two rounds....so what do we take?   A QB? WR? RB?  DBs....OT?     I think the answer is:  yes to all.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I totally agree, however, we've had that the last 3 or 4 years and we traded those assets away (down).

To us fans (me anyway), the fix is simple. It should be to Haslam as well....tell this FO to DRAFT playmakers or else you aren't employed any longer. Quit trading away the present for the future, cash in these picks in 2018. IF Haslam does that, there really is no reason to fire anybody.

50 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Jesus...folks are losing their minds around here...

1-23 tends to do that Tour,   Yuckaneers 2-26 over two seasons. Um, 4 more in a row surpasses that level of suckitude. 

I think we expected bad, but historically bad? Z said it best- a win or two this year would have quieted the racket calling for another blow up. 

14 minutes ago, hoorta said:

1-23 tends to do that Tour,   Yuckaneers 2-26 over two seasons. Um, 4 more in a row surpasses that level of suckitude. 

I think we expected bad, but historically bad? Z said it best- a win or two this year would have quieted the racket calling for another blow up. 

I'm not even that wound up with 1-23.  I'm more upset with 

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 7.11.53 PM.png

Archived