LondonBrown

The... I am batting (maybe alone) for the front office thread

19 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I will start this by saying that I still completely do, 100%, agree with the current front office approach to changing the Browns. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I know that lots here will either stop reading through disillusion or plain anger, but it is how I feel.

After 2015 the Browns tore this entire football club down, and I mean down, completely. It wasn’t just a regime change like has happened in the NFL ad nauseam, it was a deliberate wipe out of almost everything that had been before. I bet they even changed the toothpaste in dressing rooms.

As of the start of the 2016 draft the Browns were an expansion team, the fans don’t believe that, but it IS what they believe in Berea, even if they’d never admit it publicly.

So, onto what they’ve done since, start by admitting to yourself that no FO is ever going to hit on every pick, every trade, every waiver or every cut. It doesn’t happen here and it doesn’t happen in NE. The problem here is when you tear it all down every decision is magnified, why cut Haden and watch TY Hilton get 254 yards in one game? That’s because it is IRRELEVANT. One big play, or two, or three, is not why Haslam put this FO in place and it isn’t why Podesta is here to apparently ruin his reputation.

This is and was a 3, 4 or 5 draft “process”, I don’t care how many of you hate that word, but it is a fact. It’s an expansion team. They have already put together a good defense you can see it on the field. If the offense keeps them off it they will be even better, which brings me to the main issue, our offense. The line is fixed already if all fit, no question.  

We don’t have a QB right now, they know it and the fans certainly know it. But guess what?.... they aren’t stuck with what they have, they will draft one next year like they have the last two because they know that you can never stop looking. Shoving a second and a third on one and yet keeping lots of picks was deliberate, they took chances.

The roster is getting better, and once they hit the QB, a lot will be in place. They are doing what they set out to do two years ago. And I hope Jimmy lets them they carry on with it.      

The problem with the FO is that they sacrificed finding a franchise QB for everything else.  There were many people here, including myself, who were in on Wentz, to me that was better than trading down for picks, would you rather have Wentz or all the players acquired in trading that pick away? I bet just about every browns fan would take Wentz. Would you rather have DeShaun Watson or Peppers and the Texans first next yr? Right now I bet most fans would take Watson. The further away you pick a QB from the first round the less likely he will be a franchise QB, you are more likely to find that guy in the first. So far this FO with with 4 1st round picks has drafted zero QBs. Maybe Kizer gets right, I truely hope he does, but things aren't looking all that promising to this point. The value this FO has put on the QB position has been borne out by this teams play.

Carson Wentz is not the only QB on planet earth. There are other drafts there are other players and we have boatload of picks. 

1 minute ago, LondonBrown said:

Carson Wentz is not the only QB on planet earth. There are other drafts there are other players and we have boatload of picks. 

I'd agree with you if the front office was a part of the organization we have faith in.  You can have 20 picks but if you don't hit on them, they are useless.  On a 1-15 team you'd think a first round pick would be a consistent starter and producer.  Sashi & Co have yet to pick one.  Now many say "it's early" or "guys have been hurt" but those are rationalizations in a bottom line business and ones that were not afforded to other GMs and coaches.

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

For the last 2 years we have heard we have a boat load of picks but if you don't use them properly it doesn't mean anything. I would rather have a franchise QB than the picks. Its harded to find a quality QB then it is to find a quality WR or CB or LB or whatever. At what point do you pull the trigger on the QB how often can you kick the can down the road?

39 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

And railing for a 1-23 organization is what??

Well, considering as I’ve said repeatedly over he last two years that I’d wait until the 2018 season  to judge...

16 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Well, considering as I’ve said repeatedly over he last two years that I’d wait until the 2018 season  to judge...

The amount of patience we as fans have is astounding. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

The younger the fan, the more patience they have......... I remember going to bed the night of January 11, 1987 and thinking "Well, today really sucked, but by the time I'm my dad's age, the Browns will have a couple of Super Bowl wins".

I am now approaching my Dad's age at that time - 50 in three weeks, and now honestly wonder if I will ever see another Browns playoff game again...... and I'm not trying to be funny either, as I seriously don't know if I will ever see one before my lights go out.

I get that the younger dudes are more "wait until next year, and you'll see" - hell, I was there too.............. but, be careful what you wish for, as 'next year' never comes and in the blink of an eye, you're past the 1/2 way point of your time on this planet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, domcucch1994 said:

Yeah this FO is great.. 1-23

Passed on Wentz, 

Passed on JuJu Smith-Scheuster

Drafted 4 WRs in 2016 and they are all garbage, except for the oft-injured Corey Coleman

These guys are geniuses..

Come on dude you forgot the 2 big time free agent WR that they signed in the last 2 years ROFLMFAO

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, D Bone said:

The younger the fan, the more patience they have......... I remember going to bed the night of January 11, 1987 and thinking "Well, today really sucked, but by the time I'm my dad's age, the Browns will have a couple of Super Bowl wins".

I am now approaching my Dad's age at that time - 50 in three weeks, and now honestly wonder if I will ever see another Browns playoff game again...... and I'm not trying to be funny either, as I seriously don't know if I will ever see one before my lights go out.

I get that the younger dudes are more "wait until next year, and you'll see" - hell, I was there too.............. but, be careful what you wish for, as 'next year' never comes and in the blink of an eye, you're past the 1/2 way point of your time on this planet. 

I was born in 89 and i'm hungry for ever to see us win NOW.

13 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The Saints, Buccaneers, and Texans were atrocious for years (decades in the case of Bucs and Saints). Yet, they used traditional methods to get out of the hole.

When exactly did the Texans do this? If you're referring to now, well they've had a pretty decent team since about 2010. If you're going to count 2013 as some kind of "hole" that they got out of then you have no interest in actual analysis here. 

The Saints have been mediocre for years. Not great but not terrible. Yeah they're really good this year. When was this hole though?

The Bucs built the team before Winston got there. 

7 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

4,6 and 7 get us a lot of postseason play, don’t they?

Remember that awesome 4 win season where we made it to the AFC Championship? How about that 5 win season where we almost won the Super Bowl?

Clamoring for a “football guy” because he can get us to 4 wins is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

People really value their 4 wins around here. It's astonishing. I've even caught people saying outright that they'd take 4 wins a year over the potential wins of this FO. Really weird.

4 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Huh? On a thread where 95% of posters want to fire people you're saying we have patience?

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, it may not be the method per se.....but it is certainly the execution of the method. 

You can input all the analytics you want into this situation.    YOu still have to evaluate and pick proper talent after you have applied the analytics.  And this group wouldn't know talent if it came up and gave them a forearm shiver.

^^^Garrett was a no brainer. +1. 

8 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Holmgren (30+ years NFL experience) - 5-11, 4-12, 5-11

Lombardi (30 years NFL experience)  - 4-12

Farmer (former player, 10 years NFL experience) - 7-9, 3-13

Yeah, having a "football guy in charge" really made a ton of difference...

I swear to God, you guys are dumb as hell.

That failed TC, so we put a lawyer and a baseball guy in charge- BRILLIANT!!!   If that doesn't work try the NHL (or NBA) next for talent evaluators.... 5-11 this year is a pipe dream,  if that comes to pass I'll damn near be dancing in the street I'll be so happy.  

5 hours ago, D Bone said:

Exactly- and I predate 1964. I'm running out of "next years"-fast. I mean like how totally disgusting is it to see- teams like the Panthers make the SB, go into the pits, retool and get there again while the Browns continue to suck, and suck bad is a testament it's not impossible to turn a franchise around in less than-what is it now going on 20 years?  The millenials have no F**cking clue on what it was like to have a team that was in playoff contention every year. To their credit, they've stuck with this doo-doo show longer than would reasonably been expected. Us oldsters know this is a bad, bad team. Hell, the 1999 and few years after expansions Browns didn't look this lousy, and the dysfunctionality of the entire organization at this point is truly breathtaking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, wargograw said:

People really value their 4 wins around here. It's astonishing. I've even caught people saying outright that they'd take 4 wins a year over the potential wins of this FO. Really weird.

LALALALA potential doesn't mean crap War. I value 4 wins over ZERO got it? that's the damn object of the game. If this was like European soccer, the Browns would get relegated to the minor league. 

"The Process" is going to get tweaked- you know the buzzword is continual process improvement- and there's a hell of a lot at this point that needs improving. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Exactly- and I predate 1964. I'm running out of "next years"-fast. I mean like how totally disgusting is it to see- teams like the Panthers make the SB, go into the pits, retool and get there again while the Browns continue to suck, and suck bad is a testament it's not impossible to turn a franchise around in less than-what is it now going on 20 years?  The millenials have no F**cking clue on what it was like to have a team that was in playoff contention every year. To their credit, they've stuck with this doo-doo show longer than would reasonably been expected. Us oldsters know this is a bad, bad team. Hell, the 1999 and few years after expansions Browns didn't look this lousy, and the dysfunctionality of the entire organization at this point is truly breathtaking. 

How many years must we wait? It's one thing to be impatient, and another to see lack of progress. Literally chickens could make better draft picks, it's been proven. They've done a great job at saving Jimmy money, and a shitty job of producing an NFL offense. I get it's a "process", but how about the FO addressing us fans this bye week and explaining the plan. Are we getting a quarterback? Or are they going to sign Charlie Whitehurst for next season and draft a one armed sleeper quarterback in the 7th round.

/// also

on moneyball and DePo - the year after leading the Dodgers to their first playoff win in 16 years, he was fired after the 2005 club finished with its worst record in 11 years.

I have friends in LA that told me they cheered when Depo was fired from the Dodgers, and that moneyball was cowpoop. What's next? Jimmy hires a milkman and a bar maid to run the front office?

I may not be the best at math, and jimmy might know how to run a business, but he has no clue about an NFL franchise. I wonder what he was promised with this F.O. , what was delivered, and if Hue and Sashi/Depo even see eye to eye about things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wargograw said:

When exactly did the Texans do this? If you're referring to now, well they've had a pretty decent team since about 2010. If you're going to count 2013 as some kind of "hole" that they got out of then you have no interest in actual analysis here. 

The Saints have been mediocre for years. Not great but not terrible. Yeah they're really good this year. When was this hole though?

The Bucs built the team before Winston got there.

War, you are showing your age.

Think further back. The Bucs and Saints were absolute jokes for years. They both built teams using traditional methods and won championships. The Texans were hot garbage their first 7-8 years or so. 

None of them salted the Earth and then tried to rebuild.

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

I'm with you D Bone (one year younger). My dad is gone now and I know he thought he would see at least one Super Bowl (back in 1987). I'm not sure we will get to see one. Now I see how well they handled the McCarron trade and am convinced that they are complete idiots. We are never going to win with the people that we have evaluating talent.  

It's hilarious... These millenials just don't get what its like around here during playoff time when the browns are involved...I'm sick of waiting....

36 minutes ago, nickers said:

It's hilarious... These millenials just don't get what its like around here during playoff time when the browns are involved...I'm sick of waiting....

I went through my entire adolescence and beyond with the Browns being in the playoffs.

From the time I was 12 until I was 20 the Browns only missed the playoff 2 years.....and were in it 7 times.   And this was before the expanded playoff system.

And then in the decade when I was between 28-38, they were in the playoffs again for like 7 out of those 10 years. 

But they have only been it the playoff twice since 1989.....

So, it seems to me that yes, practically 2 generations of Browns fans have gone without having the Browns be a decent, playoff team.

But I certainly remember how crazy it was...and how it could be the same again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I went through my entire adolescence and beyond with the Browns being in the playoffs.

From the time I was 12 until I was 20 the Browns only missed the playoff 2 years.....and were in it 7 times.   And this was before the expanded playoff system.

And then in the decade when I was between 28-38, they were in the playoffs again for like 7 out of those 10 years. 

But they have only been it the playoff twice since 1989.....

So, it seems to me that yes, practically 2 generations of Browns fans have gone without having the Browns be a decent, playoff team.

But I certainly remember how crazy it was...and how it could be the same again.

Gip.. Those two seasons the Browns made the playoffs.. At least to me felt like frauds.. Especially Butch Davis's squad...

5 minutes ago, nickers said:

Gip.. Those two seasons the Browns made the playoffs.. At least to me felt like frauds.. Especially Butch Davis's squad...

The 1994 team was legit...built from the ground up and even won a playoff game and was going to be a contender for awhile if not for the move.   Butchs' team was pretty good too.   Only a Dennis Dropcutt butterfingers moment away from beating the squeelers in Pittsburgh.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

War, you are showing your age.

Think further back. The Bucs and Saints were absolute jokes for years. They both built teams using traditional methods and won championships. The Texans were hot garbage their first 7-8 years or so. 

None of them salted the Earth and then tried to rebuild.

Exactly the 'Aints (as their fans called them at the time) started the tradition of wearing paper bags on their heads to games. FWIW- looked it up, the Saints first season was 1967. (also the first year of the SB, though it wasn't called that then) They won the Super Bowl in 2009. The Browns as well as the Lions are the only two remaining "old" teams that have never been. & at the rate of progress we're currently seeing- our first visit to the promised land isn't coming anytime soon. 

IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME ALREADY!!!! 

Cheezburger Image 3057568512

How some of you can look at a defense that is finally building something after years of being in the bottom 5, after only one year of our current DC, and say this isnt moving fast enough for me blah blah. This is why we cant have nice things. 

Ur impatience ensures the rebuild bever happens. Pgh thanks u all, the browns remain 2 easy wins on the schedule

20 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

How some of you can look at a defense that is finally building something after years of being in the bottom 5, after only one year of our current DC, and say this isnt moving fast enough for me blah blah. This is why we cant have nice things. 

Ur impatience ensures the rebuild bever happens. Pgh thanks u all, the browns remain 2 easy wins on the schedule

Because this team hasn't been relevant in a decade.   Just one shit show after another.   I'm happy you're excited our 0-8 defense has nice rankings.   Those of us who have been fans for a long time (40+ years in my case) are tired of waiting around when teams go from the dumpster to contenders in just a couple years.    Speaking for myself...the last few years have finally broken me as a fan.   I still watch and want them to win every week, but the days of me caring or getting even remotely upset are long gone.   It will take a lot of good play on the field to get me to care about this shit sandwich of a franchise like I used to.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

I believe everyone has acknowledged improvement on the defense. The problem is the offense is horrendous and the front office is ran by a gaggle of autistic kids.

6 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Because this team hasn't been relevant in a decade.   Just one Sheet show after another.   I'm happy you're excited our 0-8 defense has nice rankings.   Those of us who have been fans for a long time (40+ years in my case) are tired of waiting around when teams go from the dumpster to contenders in just a couple years.    Speaking for myself...the last few years have finally broken me as a fan.   I still watch and want them to win every week, but the days of me caring or getting even remotely upset are long gone.   It will take a lot of good play on the field to get me to care about this Sheet sandwich of a franchise like I used to.

You're speaking for me also Mark, and I go back all the way to the days of Jim Brown. The Titans disaster that I drove 200 miles to see finally did it. I've always said I'd burn my season tickets rather than sell them to a fan of another team- but I finally got so fed up I told my lifelong pal Don (who's the ticket holder of record) screw it- dump those seats for whatever you can get, I'm not wasting my time anymore this season going to games. Our 20 yard line lower deck netted us 40 cents on a dollar. It's not just me that got worn out spending 24 hours of my weekend and six hours of driving up for the games, Don only has a 12 mile drive from Independence to the stadium, and he's not bothering going either. 

Canton Mike is boycotting too, and I hope Jimmy looks at a half empty stadium that's filled mostly with fans from the other team to realize- your team has essentially become unwatchable. 

And to those that say there's bight spots- sure there are. It's like way back in my Grandpa's day before they starting using chlorine at the sewage station. Seeing a tomato plant growing in a pile of crap, and saying- wow, ain't that pretty!!!!!  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You're speaking for me also Mark, and I go back all the way to the days of Jim Brown. The Titans disaster that I drove 200 miles to see finally did it. I've always said I'd burn my season tickets rather than sell them to a fan of another team- but I finally got so fed up I told my lifelong pal Don (who's the ticket holder of record) screw it- dump those seats for whatever you can get, I'm not wasting my time anymore this season going to games. Our 20 yard line lower deck netted us 40 cents on a dollar. It's not just me that got worn out spending 24 hours of my weekend and six hours of driving up for the games, Don only has a 12 mile drive from Independence to the stadium, and he's not bothering going either. 

I'd have a hard time going if i lived back there, even if I had tickets.  I've turned down free tickets to watch them play the Chargers, I'd rather stay home so I can watch the other games at the same time and not be stuck with the Browns.  

Next year's trip to Cleveland is all about going to see OSU play for me.  I've never seen the Buckeyes play in person, so I'm coming back for an early season game where I can get tickets without needing a 2nd mortgage on my house.  If the Browns are home the same weekend as the OSU game that works best for me, I'll go see them play too, otherwise, I'll just come back to see OSU play.