LondonBrown

The... I am batting (maybe alone) for the front office thread

I will start this by saying that I still completely do, 100%, agree with the current front office approach to changing the Browns. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I know that lots here will either stop reading through disillusion or plain anger, but it is how I feel.

After 2015 the Browns tore this entire football club down, and I mean down, completely. It wasn’t just a regime change like has happened in the NFL ad nauseam, it was a deliberate wipe out of almost everything that had been before. I bet they even changed the toothpaste in dressing rooms.

As of the start of the 2016 draft the Browns were an expansion team, the fans don’t believe that, but it IS what they believe in Berea, even if they’d never admit it publicly.

So, onto what they’ve done since, start by admitting to yourself that no FO is ever going to hit on every pick, every trade, every waiver or every cut. It doesn’t happen here and it doesn’t happen in NE. The problem here is when you tear it all down every decision is magnified, why cut Haden and watch TY Hilton get 254 yards in one game? That’s because it is IRRELEVANT. One big play, or two, or three, is not why Haslam put this FO in place and it isn’t why Podesta is here to apparently ruin his reputation.

This is and was a 3, 4 or 5 draft “process”, I don’t care how many of you hate that word, but it is a fact. It’s an expansion team. They have already put together a good defense you can see it on the field. If the offense keeps them off it they will be even better, which brings me to the main issue, our offense. The line is fixed already if all fit, no question.  

We don’t have a QB right now, they know it and the fans certainly know it. But guess what?.... they aren’t stuck with what they have, they will draft one next year like they have the last two because they know that you can never stop looking. Shoving a second and a third on one and yet keeping lots of picks was deliberate, they took chances.

The roster is getting better, and once they hit the QB, a lot will be in place. They are doing what they set out to do two years ago. And I hope Jimmy lets them they carry on with it.      

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

if they had sht to donwith getting rid of mccown they need completely routed in the offseason. God how we could use a vet like him right now. Something tells me it was an analytics move, which mccown promptly proved wrong with his play in NY

I felt they needed a veteran QB to help mentor Kizer, and to play while he sits and learns and matures. Others on here scoffed at the idea and said "that wouldn't do anything we don't need one, he needs to learn on the job" I think the results say otherwise.

I think it was the FO that dictates the plethora of bad picks and cuts. Seems like the MO is "cut everyone at 30 or older"

It's like Children of the Corn - NFL version

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, wargograw said:

It was a mistake, but not an unforgivable one.

Maybe ur right, maybe they thought ossweiler would start anyway so why keep mccown. Just yet again we somehow end up making the butt backwards mistake. And mccown goes and plays pretty damn well for the jets. He's like the 12th highest rated qb ir something like that, i mean ffs 

1 - 23. How can you not love this FO?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

We have turned it around, the wrong way.  Sorry.  Fire em all.

• Like 1

So all these other teams that turn it around in a year or 2 are wrong? Teams suck, 2 years later they're good. 

But nooooooooooiooooooooooooooooooooooooo not the Browns!

I call BS!

1 hour ago, flyingfooldoug said:

So all these other teams that turn it around in a year or 2 are wrong? Teams suck, 2 years later they're good. 

I call BS!

If you could not see this season unfolding like this with near zero QB experience then you haven't been paying attention. Let's just see how it all plays out through next year.................................................oh wait..........................................did I just say wait till next year?:rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If you could not see this season unfolding like this with near zero QB experience then you haven't been paying attention. Let's just see how it all plays out through next year.................................................oh wait..........................................did I just say wait till next year?:rolleyes:

I expected to see some young player's that show flashes of becoming legit playmakers and stars. Average to below average is about it and all the flashes seem to be screw ups instead of solid play.

Fire DePodesta and hire someone from the NHL.....why not we hired him from baseball

Move Sashi back where he belongs .... to the HR department, ... let him draft on the first pick game and not a real one...

Bring in a FOOTBALL man to run a FOOTBALL team .....

Fire the quarterback whisperer ......

Well, it may not be the method per se.....but it is certainly the execution of the method. 

You can input all the analytics you want into this situation.    YOu still have to evaluate and pick proper talent after you have applied the analytics.  And this group wouldn't know talent if it came up and gave them a forearm shiver.

Yeah this FO is great.. 1-23

Passed on Wentz, 

Passed on JuJu Smith-Scheuster

Drafted 4 WRs in 2016 and they are all garbage, except for the oft-injured Corey Coleman

These guys are geniuses..

I'm in on this opinion that, for the most part, I think the front office has done a good job. this team has talent. It is starting to show especially on the defensive side. But you can't tear things to the ground like they did and rebuild in 1.5 years. It's not going to happen. The only organization that I can remember that has ever done anything similar to this was the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys (went 1-15 his first year). This front office has missed on a few things but so has EVERY single front office including the magnificent patriots. I think there has been a learning curve for the front office but for the most part, they have won just about every trade they have made for players. Their evaluations of their own players during FA have been spot on (looking at you Pryor, Benjamin, Schwartz, etc). You can't fully analyze their draft day trades until it's all said and done, IMOP.

Where have they missed: Wentz/Watson (I will be the first to admit I never thought Wentz would be this good. Watson is making rookie mistakes but getting away with it because he has weapons and a coach who is adapting his gm ), but these trades are still playing themselves out, Veteran leadership in the qb room (mccown would have been great for Kizer), Kenny Britt and elite WR's. They have hit on most of their draft picks- no organization is going to hit on every single one plus everyone can be a great hindsight GM- to help build a foundation, they traded for and signed Collins. This FO is very young in the grand scheme of things and I think they are learning as they go, making their own rookie mistakes. This may sound like a negative, but I think they are willing to make the necessary changes and adapt unlike some more experienced FO's (banner). IMOP, they made it very clear that year 3, 2018, was the year they expected to really start to be competitors. These first two years were simply building the foundation for years to come. Haslam HAS to give them all a 3rd year. No plan is going to work if you keep making changes so fast. No organization can reset fast enough. Personally, I think Hue has blown more games than this front office. he wants to blame them, but I can think of at least 3 games THIS year they should have won but because of his bad play calling and game management they have found a way to lose.

Now, just because I do not want everyone fired does not mean changes can't be made. Here is what I think should happen: Bring in Manning as Director of Player Operations, President, whatever title. He becomes the final voice in the room with ultimate veto power. Let him evaluate the qb's in this years draft and see how they compare to a year 2 of Kizer. Make Jackson bring in an OC. Spend $$ on an elite WR (Watkins, Adams, Robinson, Landry), bring back Pryor for a nominal price, and sign CB (trumaine Johnson). Draft Barkley, Then the best players on the board with the rest of your draft picks. No trades in the draft

Finally, Kizer looked good on Sunday against the Vikings but it's hard to win when your receivers drop passes and the team consistently hurts themselves with turnovers and penalties. He may have finally turned the corner and realized he does not need to force the ball especially in the redzone. At what point do we give a qb a chance to develop? 8 games...that's it? If that's the case, Manning would have been thrown to the curb right away (28 INT in yr 1). Goff would have been tossed aside. I think Kizer has potential, but he needs to develop. Hue is not helping him either by calling a game to his strengths either. It would have been helpful for a veteran qb to be in the room but I'm not sure there is anyone else like that on the market. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, domcucch1994 said:

Yeah this FO is great.. 1-23

Passed on Wentz, 

Passed on JuJu Smith-Scheuster

Drafted 4 WRs in 2016 and they are all garbage, except for the oft-injured Corey Coleman

These guys are geniuses..

Except for?   I am not sure at this point I would make Coleman an exception from the "garbage" designation.

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Except for?   I am not sure at this point I would make Coleman an exception from the "garbage" designation.

Ya, for the guy we took instead of..... Looks like bust to me.

11 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I will start this by saying that I still completely do, 100%, agree with the current front office approach to changing the Browns. I know that’s an unpopular opinion and I know that lots here will either stop reading through disillusion or plain anger, but it is how I feel.

After 2015 the Browns tore this entire football club down, and I mean down, completely. It wasn’t just a regime change like has happened in the NFL ad nauseam, it was a deliberate wipe out of almost everything that had been before. I bet they even changed the toothpaste in dressing rooms.

As of the start of the 2016 draft the Browns were an expansion team, the fans don’t believe that, but it IS what they believe in Berea, even if they’d never admit it publicly.

So, onto what they’ve done since, start by admitting to yourself that no FO is ever going to hit on every pick, every trade, every waiver or every cut. It doesn’t happen here and it doesn’t happen in NE. The problem here is when you tear it all down every decision is magnified, why cut Haden and watch TY Hilton get 254 yards in one game? That’s because it is IRRELEVANT. One big play, or two, or three, is not why Haslam put this FO in place and it isn’t why Podesta is here to apparently ruin his reputation.

This is and was a 3, 4 or 5 draft “process”, I don’t care how many of you hate that word, but it is a fact. It’s an expansion team. They have already put together a good defense you can see it on the field. If the offense keeps them off it they will be even better, which brings me to the main issue, our offense. The line is fixed already if all fit, no question.  

We don’t have a QB right now, they know it and the fans certainly know it. But guess what?.... they aren’t stuck with what they have, they will draft one next year like they have the last two because they know that you can never stop looking. Shoving a second and a third on one and yet keeping lots of picks was deliberate, they took chances.

The roster is getting better, and once they hit the QB, a lot will be in place. They are doing what they set out to do two years ago. And I hope Jimmy lets them they carry on with it.      

I agree 100%

9 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Maybe ur right, maybe they thought ossweiler would start anyway so why keep mccown. Just yet again we somehow end up making the butt backwards mistake. And mccown goes and plays pretty damn well for the jets. He's like the 12th highest rated qb ir something like that, i mean ffs 

You know he’d be hurt if he were with us too, and meanwhile we’d lose one of the guys we currently have. 

4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I call BS!

Who among them has been bad for as long as the Browns have? I’ll hang up and listen. 

55 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

When healthy, this guy catches the ball and moves the chains.. but breaking his hand twice has me concerned.. 

Who knows if he can be the WR we drafted him to be. A gamebreaker.

If he cant play a full season next year, then I will call him a bust..

4 minutes ago, wargograw said:

You know he’d be hurt if he were with us too, and meanwhile we’d lose one of the guys we currently have. 

Who among them has been bad for as long as the Browns have? I’ll hang up and listen. 

The Saints, Buccaneers, and Texans were atrocious for years (decades in the case of Bucs and Saints). Yet, they used traditional methods to get out of the hole.

Anyone that still believe in this regime is a fool or has had a cranial lobotomy..Really?.. still supporting this Sheet show.. God help your poor soul.

12 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

This is and was a 3, 4 or 5 draft “process”, I don’t care how many of you hate that word, but it is a fact. It’s an expansion team.    

Not in today's NFL.

If you have a winning HC & FO they can stay together for many years, but there's not an NFL owner out there that will tolerate 3-5 years of suckage.

12 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

My concern with supporting the front office is these are the guys who said Wentz isn't a top 20 QB.   Now thats a major screw up it would certainly seem.   I just don't see how a team at 1-23 can "stay the course" when its' likely to be 1-31 or at best 2-30 or 3-29 over a 2 year period.   The same guys who didn't think  Wentz was good enough are making the decision this year on what QB to draft, how can anyone possibly believe that they will get it right this time since they passed on Wentz and Watson?

49 minutes ago, wargograw said:

That's the point. And using non football people to pick the players has only made it worse. 0-8,. 1-15.

1-31. They own their record.

• Haha 1