THE BROWNS BOARD

"With the First Pick of the 2018 Draft, the Browns Select..."

Brownsdon'tknowwhy

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

One, you don't know that. There has been turnover in the scouting department.

But assuming you are correct, patience and the simple fact that no FO is perfect only buys so much time.

I know they could've drafted Mack, Bosa, Wentz or Watson and chose not to.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BaconHound said:

I know they could've drafted Mack, Bosa, Wentz or Watson and chose not to.

Mack is not in the Sashi time frame.... so there's that. But for the record, I wanted him, too... badly. I could not believe he fell to us.

As for Bosa, Wentz and Watson.... I had questions about all them, so I guess I am fired as well. However, there was no consensus on here for any of them prior to their Drafts. It has only formed in hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Mack is not in the Sashi time frame.... so there's that. But for the record, I wanted him, too... badly. I could not believe he fell to us.

As for Bosa, Wentz and Watson.... I had questions about all them, so I guess I am fired as well. However, there was no consensus on here for any of them prior to their Drafts. It has only formed in hindsight.

My bad on Mack.

Unfortunately for as much tape as you watch you shouldn't be as qualified to make draft decisions as the front office of an NFL team.  The front office is evaluated on players they select and players they don't.  There is a huge difference between the Browns passing on Dak & Wilson and allowing Philly to move up to take Wentz or Houston to move up and take Watson.

15 hours ago, BaconHound said:

My bad on Mack.

Unfortunately for as much tape as you watch you shouldn't be as qualified to make draft decisions as the front office of an NFL team.  The front office is evaluated on players they select and players they don't.  There is a huge difference between the Browns passing on Dak & Wilson and allowing Philly to move up to take Wentz or Houston to move up and take Watson.

Well... you are right of course about the amount of tape I watch. While I think it's pretty high for an amateur, it's nothing compared to what I'd see were doing so was my profession. That said... where I chose to specialize, an area of positions where I have at least a limited playing background, the OL, I think my takes, which often run counter to mainstream thinking, stack up pretty well with the Pros. Problem is there is a very limited number of folks who want to discuss the OL to any depth, so I branch out for conversation to QBs, RBs, etc.

Scouts tend to positionally "specialize" as well, but not to the extent that they are blind to any kid catching their eye.

Please explain your "huge difference". I honestly do not see it. Spotting/ missing talent at any position in any round seems like the same process to me. The stakes are higher the earlier in the draft you are picking, raising the required certainty level... but that's the game isn't it?

23 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

1st pick? His initials are "QB".

And beyond that?  

Some say who shot JR.  Some say SD...Carmen San Diego.   Some say JA....Junior Achievement  Some silly people even say BM...Bowel Movement.

I say that MR is as good a bet as any.  And I love the holidays:

Archived