THE BROWNS BOARD

"With the First Pick of the 2018 Draft, the Browns Select..."

Brownsdon'tknowwhy

Just now, hoorta said:

I'll be tuned in Ag. & besides if you're scouting- Saturday 4PM EST FOX USC- Colorado (Darnold). 8PM EST FOX Oklahoma- TCU (Mayfield). Next Saturday you get a double whammy- USC- UCLA Darnold vs Rosen. Break out the Doritos and beer. 

Since I think those two are the best on the field, I'll record that USC-UCLA game.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/05/31/calvin-ridley-alabama-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

I hope the Browns second pick is high enough to get Ridley. If he's already gone, well...

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/08/03/minkah-fitzpatrick-alabama-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

and with the very first pick in the draft.... I think that has been explained already... lol

Some are saying we should draft Rudolph........ has good speed known as a bit of a Dasher and can be a good Dancer in the pocket .... I wonder if he can handle defenses when they go all out Blitzen .... 

He would be perfect in Cleveland along with all the other misfit toys at Hue's disposal

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Writeup on Washington from Walterfootball: They rate him as 16th best WR

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/OklahomaState_logo.gif

OklahomaState_logo.gif James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2018): 3-5.

11/4/17: Washington has caught 45 passes for 1,005 yards with eight touchdowns this season. He is a deep-threat receiver with a lot of production in his college spread attack, which takes advantage of a lot of weak defenses.

Some team sources told me they graded Washington as a mid-rounder. Washington has a running back build and is not really twitchy. He is deceptively fast, but that is build-up speed rather than first-step explosiveness. Sources also say that he has good hands, but doesn't really make players miss after the catch. One team source said they graded Washington as a late fourth-rounder.

7/17/17: Over the past few seasons, Washington has been a big-play threat for the Cowboys. He put 71 receptions for 1,380 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2016, including a record-setting game against Pittsburgh (9-296-2) and a domination of Colorado cornerback Chidobe Awuzie in the bowl game (9-171-1). As a sophomore, Washington snagged 53 passes for 1,087 yards with 10 scores. Washington has decent size and can stretch teams vertically with speed.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#Wv6CWQb4f5wG6WLj.99

Well....from this, this guy would seem to be an analytics proponents dream.  He puts up all kind of production numbers.

And all I am saying is that based on my non professional opinion....he seems to really do well.   But, sure....a person with an eye for talent  (in other words....no on on the Browns staff)  would have to do a proper assessment of him.  "Right now I would not just accept this Walter football review...because it varies.  Look at this from CBS:

RK PLAYER POS POS RK SCHOOL CLASS HT WT
6 James Washington WR 2 Oklahoma State Sr 6-0 205
11 Courtland Sutton WR 0 Southern Methodist Soph 6-4 215
17 Deontay Burnett WR 0 Southern California Jr 6-0 170
33 Anthony Miller WR 0 Memphis Sr 5-11 190
39 Christian Kirk WR 4 Texas A&M Jr 5-11 200
52 Marcell Ateman WR 0 Oklahoma State Sr 6-4 220
59 Deon Cain WR 3 Clemson Jr 6-1 210
64 Simmie Cobbs Jr. WR 0 Indiana Jr 6-4 220
67 Dante Pettis WR 10 Washington Sr

6-1

They have Washington as the #6 overall best prospect.....and #1 WR

And Look at CBS Top Ten.....see who is at #1 overall:

2018 TOP NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS
1 Mason Rudolph QB 2 Oklahoma State Sr 6-5 230
2 Minkah Fitzpatrick FS 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 201
3 Saquon Barkley RB 2 Penn State Jr 5-11 223
4 Quenton Nelson OG 1 Notre Dame Sr 6-5 329
5 Derwin James SS 1 Florida State Soph 6-3 211
7 Bradley Chubb DE 3 NC State Sr 6-4 275
8 Orlando Brown OT 5 Oklahoma Jr 6-8 360
9 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo DE 0 Oklahoma Sr 6-1 242
10 Mike McGlinchey OT 1 Notre Dame Sr 6-8 312
12 Bryce Love RB 0 Stanford Jr 5-10 191

7 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

My buddy who's a ucla guy says Darnold sucks (go figure) and that ucla sucks so bad it's hard to know with  rosen. If he had decent guys around him,  he'd have some  really killer stats compared to now

The little I saw of Darnold (I've got today's game taping for a better look) he's light years ahead of where Kizer was @ Notre Dame. 

7 hours ago, LBC mike said:

We have to pull the trigger this year on a qb in the first round and a wr.

QB si, WR? Depends if Gordon hasn't been suspended yet by April. Almost want a CB with that second first rounder. 

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I like Calvin Ridley , Bama

So do I. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And Look at CBS Top Ten.....see who is at #1 overall:

2018 TOP NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS
1 Mason Rudolph QB 2 Oklahoma State Sr 6-5 230
2 Minkah Fitzpatrick FS 1 Alabama Jr 6-1 201
3 Saquon Barkley RB 2 Penn State Jr 5-11 223
4 Quenton Nelson OG 1 Notre Dame Sr 6-5 329
5 Derwin James SS 1 Florida State Soph 6-3 211
7 Bradley Chubb DE 3 NC State Sr 6-4 275
8 Orlando Brown OT 5 Oklahoma Jr 6-8 360
9 Ogbonnia Okoronkwo DE 0 Oklahoma Sr 6-1 242
10 Mike McGlinchey OT 1 Notre Dame Sr 6-8 312
12 Bryce Love RB 0 Stanford Jr 5-10 191

Har, no other QB prospect in the top 10? Really?    Cal will be so upset Allen isn't there... 

Of course I don't like this listing either.  To paraphrase a famous line from the Wizard of Oz, I do believe in the Heisman jinx, I do believe in the Heisman jinx.... http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

And having a guard #1 prospect? nuts, but Rudolph is nowhere to be seen..  https://www.si.com/2018-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-top-players

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Cal will be so upset Allen isn't there... 

LOL. Not at all ! There are plenty of disagreements about Allen.   I look at stats as more of a tie-breaker, not a given set

of standards that qbs have to meet. Darnold is a player, but his fumbles drop him on my good qb list. That that mean he

doesn't sense pressure? That he is so dumb he can't learn to hold onto the ball in traffic? Small hands? Doesn't take to coaching...

or means not much really?  It's hard to use the "doesn't have a solid cast around him so..." excuse for that....I just don't know.

16 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since I think those two are the best on the field, I'll record that USC-UCLA game.

Welcome to the dark side! Once you go Pac 12, you'll never go back .

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Welcome to the dark side! Once you go Pac 12, you'll never go back .

Nah-I called Dak from NFL, Jr. (SEC).

BTW-A&M RS Fr. Starkel had over 400 yd. passing and 4 TDs 21of 30 against N.M. in one half. Far cry better than that QB from Wyoming against the same team. Passes were on the money even when dropped. Two intentionally thrown away. J. Allen is a joke. He needs to really show against a weak AF defense tonight.

the bs mountain gets higher and higher. You can't draft freshmen, Ag. Allen btw, did get hurt - that happens when

the oline is not competitive, and wr's aren't the best. Wyoming already had a three TD lead.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

the bs mountain gets higher and higher. You can't draft freshmen, Ag. Allen btw, did get hurt - that happens when

the oline is not competitive, and wr's aren't the best. Wyoming already had a three TD lead.

I was just fooling around with the RS freshman, though he did demonstrate superior progressions and an accurate arm with the ability to get it downfield. Maybe 2019 when he becomes eligible. BTW he is the one that got us the huge lead against UCLA before breaking an ankle at the end of the 1st half. The true freshman just could not move the team and disaster ensued.

I did see the injury to Allen on the double pass play in the 1st half and wondered why his coach didn't catch it right away. Shoulder separation maybe?

Allen showed serious toughness, but you are correct - he wasn't moving his arm, yet stayed in the game. He loves the game alright - but I thought when he took that big hit, and wasn't moving his arm, the coach would bring him to the sidelines. Allen covered it up the best he could, but after one more pass that went feebly to the ground, it was over. One of his faults is trying to make every single pass play a great play.

But comparing stats is bullhockey. Starkel may very well be a star prospect later. But he has Christian Kirk, who I think will be the new Antonio Brown, something like him anyways. Kirk will surely go in the first round of the draft. Allen doesn't have anyone like that, not even close. He also has Keith Ford - Allen doesn't have that either.

The last 3-4? years, Tex AM has had three offensive linemen selected in the first round of the NFL draft. Right now, though, I can't say they have a solid oline, but Kirk helps with that. I just don't get comparing offensive stats and using that as a solid indicator of the quality of the qb.

Therefore, Starkel has a dynamic, outstanding wr to throw to. Allen - doesn't have that.

http://www.thepress.net/sports/national/croome-texas-a-m-s-kirk-has-big-night-for/article_b1a64f87-ebba-5a5d-8b71-51d72c1859b0.html

As an aside, Ridley, for Alabama...had 5 receptions for a freaking 171 yards. I like Ridley and Kirk as a second pick overall

for the Browns. They are both what the Browns don't have at all. and need, desperately.

and speaking of qb's, First Look has some interesting perspectives on some players:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814722/article/first-look-scouting-wyoming-qb-josh-allen

4 hours ago, BaconHound said:

That would be a gutsy move.  Taking a QB in the first round seals the fate of the front office either way.

So would passing over another QB who was worth the pick.

Saw real hope for Kizer today. Still some time left in the season to verify.

I can still see spending a high pick, acquiring a vet via trade or FA , e.g. Alex Smith, and keeping Kizer.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

So would passing over another QB who was worth the pick.

Saw real hope for Kizer today. Still some time left in the season to verify.

I can still see spending a high pick, acquiring a vet via trade or FA , e.g. Alex Smith, and keeping Kizer.

They've been able to pass on talented players with zero consequences thus far.

2 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

They've been able to pass on talented players with zero consequences thus far.

One, you don't know that. There has been turnover in the scouting department.

But assuming you are correct, patience and the simple fact that no FO is perfect only buys so much time.

Every year the pundits say that the upcoming draft doesn't have the talent that previous drafts had. Mark Miller from BR claims this draft is the 2nd worse in the last 10 years, ahead of only the 2013 draft.  Personally, I'm not impressed with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.  I haven't seen enough of Josh Allen to have an opinion.

Despite a perceived lack of quality at the QB position, the likelihood is that - because of need - as many as six QBs get taken in the first round.  If that is indeed the case and the Browns are drafting 1st and 7th (Houston's pick) I'd be fine with taking Derwin James, Safety out of FSU and arguably the best player in the draft, and then taking a QB with the 7th pick.  If the Browns have a definite favorite at QB, trade up to take him 2nd or 3rd. 

This doesn't guarantee that the QB position would be solved for the Browns, but it would probably guarantee that the Browns' defense has its safeties for the next five years.

Archived