THE BROWNS BOARD

Our defense is #6 in rushing and #9 overall.

Clevfan4life

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

If we're going to count only the points allowed when the defense is on the field, it's 240 - 21 = 219 (1 pick six, 1 fumble returned to TD, 1 punt blocked). It would put us #23, just better than the New York Jets.

BUT  if you check the chart, you can see that almost every team gets points against when the defense is not on the field, so I don't think there's a reason to point out that stat, simply because that's part of the game that you have to take that into account.

It doesn't help the defense either having Kizer making 3 INTs in our own side of the field (you can check that in his situational stats), but everything is part of the game.

If those stats (pick six, INTs, etc.) say anything, is that this team still has a lot to improve.

Correct, I'm pretty sure the same criteria was used to apply to all 32 teams.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Mark (I have a shitty internet atm, I can't make a long reply with a quote:

I think that it is normal to have a young, unexperienced defense with a new coordinator, etc. to have bad games. Houston offense was on fire, and against Cincinnatti the offense was horrendous. I remember the pick that Britt allowed in the endzone and how the first two Bengals' drives I believe were 3 and outs and we only got to fail a field goal.

My biggest concern is that I think the problem is that the defense doesn't play all 4 quaters. They're not constant during the same game.

Just now, Nero said:

I think that it is normal to have a young, unexperienced defense with a new coordinator, etc. to have bad games. Houston offense was on fire, and against Cincinnatti the offense was horrendous. I remember the pick that Britt allowed in the endzone and how the first two Bengals' drives I believe were 3 and outs and we only got to fail a field goal.

My biggest concern is that I think the problem is that it doesn't play all 4 quaters. They're not constant during the same game.

I was there for the Cincy game...the defense was no existant in the first half.   21 2nd quarter points.   13 play 88 yard drive and 3 play 81 yard drive.   Game is 21-0 at halftime and over.  

And yes...I agree that they will have bad games.  The point though is that we have some here telling us the defense is awesome and you have to keep a lousy HC so that the defensive coordinator doesn't leave which is just stupid.  The defense isn't that good...these aren't hte 85 Bears.

29 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I was there for the Cincy game...the defense was no existant in the first half.   21 2nd quarter points.   13 play 88 yard drive and 3 play 81 yard drive.   Game is 21-0 at halftime and over.  

And yes...I agree that they will have bad games.  The point though is that we have some here telling us the defense is awesome and you have to keep a lousy HC so that the defensive coordinator doesn't leave which is just stupid.  The defense isn't that good...these aren't hte 85 Bears.

Nobody said they're the 85 bears. No one. Im not going into it again why its a horrendous move to retool a vastly improved defense. U just dont understand the game. At all. U see good offenses or defenses on other teams and u think its magic analytics sprinkles. You have no conception how "good football" comes about on either side of the ball. 

Ur just a casual fantasy football fan. No more no less. Oh and i never said this defense was awesome. I said it was vastly improved over last year. And the year before that. But theres things it also doesnt do well because theres serious talent deficiencies at certain positions. But williams has done with more ir kess the same players as last year warrants he goes FUKKING NOWHERE. Any fan with a modicum of football IQ understands this

31 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Nobody said they're the 85 bears. No one. Im not going into it again why its a horrendous move to retool a vastly improved defense. U just dont understand the game. At all. U see good offenses or defenses on other teams and u think its magic analytics sprinkles. You have no conception how "good football" comes about on either side of the ball. 

Ur just a casual fantasy football fan. No more no less. Oh and i never said this defense was awesome. I said it was vastly improved over last year. And the year before that. But theres things it also doesnt do well because theres serious talent deficiencies at certain positions. But williams has done with more ir kess the same players as last year warrants he goes FUKKING NOWHERE. Any fan with a modicum of football IQ understands this

Who you kidding? This defense sucks!

7 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Who you kidding? This defense sucks!

Not in all aspects. They stuffed the run the whole season and in the lions game till collins got hurt. Some games they did "ok" against the pass. Consistent qb pressure is a major deficiency tho, ive been harping on that all season. Ive stated multiple times we need to target a veteran DE in the offseason. 

23 hours ago, Mark O said:

Yep...and the Rams defense who lost the all world Greg Williams doesn't seem to have missed him one bit so far this season have they?  

They replaced him with Wade Phillips. This was in the post to which you were responding....

4 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Also, the niners & colts played an extra game than the rest of the league when this was posted. . .

image.thumb.png.0b58ba0010a713cb744c77d2a36dbc54.png

Then it's a good thing they do it on a points allowed per game basis.

5 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

I wouldnt say the defense is awesome, but I also wouldnt say the defense is the reason why the Browns have not won.

Nobody saying the def is awesome. Christ a week ago i said im glad that this def seems to have the run stopping diwn, didnt call them the 85 beats just said hey they're at least doing something well and that's something to build on. 

And becausebi know something about the game of football i know that while passing dominates the stats....if a defense can consistently stop the run that means they control the line of scrimmage. Good things can be built on that. 

Defenses that cant stop the run get wore down and then demoralized as they get blasted off the ball. Any former players know this, even if u were a kicker

On 10/30/2017 at 4:02 PM, Clevfan4life said:

You guys need to think about that before you clamor for another regime change. That's in ONE Shmucking YEAR under "coffee fetcher" Williams.

We're still 18'th in pass defense but I think that's more a product of our poor pass rush instead of on the secondary.

We still have FS issues as well as versatility issues at LB contributing to Pass D woes as well. Vs. DET Kirksey seemed far less effective in pass D than I've seen him. But, yes, a dominant pass rush makes up for a lot of shortcomings. We just don't have the horses yet to generate consistent pressure.... no ying to MG's yang.

Then there's the whole "since we do stop the run teams have to pass" thing...

But don't look at Phoollie... you'll go blind.

On 10/30/2017 at 9:50 PM, Orion said:

Yeah.  Wasn't exactly what we were looking for.  But at least it was kind of exciting. 

So exciting losses were better? ;)

I get it... the promise of being in games... of pulling games out at the end does bring a sugar high and that can be satisfying in the moment... especially when you are starving as we are now. But the great crash of 2014, plus what followed in 2015, left me feeling more empty than what I feel now.

Going to see if I can take 5 more pages of nay-saying crap...

Well... 5 pages reading time I'll never get back. But two things were gleaned...

1. If he made these kinds of posts in the Old Tavern, then Mark O would have kicked himself enough to ban himself. Nonetheless I gave you an honesty point along the way for being honest when you said, "I have no idea how to fix it." ... or something to that effect.
  2. I've somehow missed a brother-in-arms...
On 10/31/2017 at 12:34 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Funny how the two people on this forum who have executed organizational change at the C-suite level [Tour and myself] realize that it's a long tough slog with many factors and milestones along the way.

Hey bro...

As we know you set a dashboard to measure progress... you don't stare at the bottom line waiting to see a change. Just the thing this thread (and more than a few others) end up being about.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

As we know you set a dashboard to measure progress... you don't stare at the bottom line waiting to see a change. Just the thing this thread (and more than a few others) end up being about.

True, but when the driver keeps steering the car into the rails every game day, it's hard hitting your head on the dashboard.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... 5 pages reading time I'll never get back. But two things were gleaned...

1. If he made these kinds of posts in the Old Tavern, then Mark O would have kicked himself enough to ban himself. Nonetheless I gave you an honesty point along the way for being honest when you said, "I have no idea how to fix it." ... or something to that effect.

I realize that.   I guess losing when I thought we would actually see progress in the form of wins can even break down an optimist.   Maybe it's the $1000 trip I took to Cleveland to have the game be over at halftime when our defense decided not to play the 2nd quarter, and the offense didn't play much of the game at all.  

In my opinion...something needs to change in the offseason.  This level of losing shouldn't happen and something has to change. 

Well... I can loan you some...

... optimism that is...

I'll even throw in the knowledge that I dropped ~$5k on a London loss... of course that also got me to 10 wonderful days in France... on the wife. ;)

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

... optimism that is...

I'll even throw in the knowledge that I dropped ~$5k on a London loss... of course that also got me to 10 wonderful days in France... on the wife. ;)

While it was still a loss....the London game was at least entertaining for a bit more than half the game.   

I'll find some optimism in time for the game Sunday....we'll see how long it lasts during the game.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And to create that dashboard we have to determine: First, what metrics to display.. second, for each metric: the numerator/denominator, the data source(s) to be used, and if that metric isn't gathered yet a specific number of data points to create the baseline from which we can measure improvement.  I like 8 data points minimum, 20 would be the engineered solution.  And once we have all that we need to determine how to report it.. I like showing the raw stats left-to-right and % change, using red/yellow/green in the same column as the %.

This forum can't even agree on how we could know we've finished the project, let alone tease out goals along the way that would show progress..

[Is it done when we draft a QB with next year's 1? Is it done when he throws 30TD's in a year because then he'd finally have WR weapons even though the record that season would of course be 5-11? Is it done when we have a RB who has 1100 yards who isn't named Peyton?]

Until then, somehow there's an open bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra right in front of me!

Yup... yup... yup... yup... and... yup.

10 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Until then, somehow there's an open bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra right in front of me!

Never had it... less "peaty" than everyday GlenL? I don't appreciate peat. More of an Oban/Glenmorangie guy, myself.

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

This level of losing shouldn't happen and something has to change. 

Nobodys disagreeing with u on that point. But us guys that have paid attention to the defense and can see pieces falling in place with a DC that's honestly done a he k of a job with major talent gaps at jey positions, we dont want to see that torn up and back to square 1. We've done this for like 8 straight years now. 

If haslem says we're getting a new HC but willuams has to stay....ok fine

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

I'll find some optimism in time for the game Sunday....we'll see how long it lasts during the game.

Its the jags so might as well tivo figure skating so at halftime u can score brownie points with the wifey by switching over. Hey Honey lets watch 8 people in a row do the same Sheet to diff music

Just now, Clevfan4life said:

Its the jags so might as well tivo figure skating so at halftime u can score brownie points with the wifey by switching over. Hey Honey lets watch 8 people in a row do the same Sheet to diff music

I don't need to score brownie points with my wife.   And she watches football.  All day on Sunday...every Sunday.

21 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Brownie points tho can be squiireled away for a rainy day. Has the wife ever given u the "forbidden entrance"? 

Reminds me of a guy I was in a carpool with once. He told me he went to a female MD and during the checkup she insisted she needed to check his prostate which he said was uncomfortable letting a woman doctor do. I said, "So let me get this straight. You'd rather have a guy with his finger up your butt than a woman? Sit on the other side of the car buddy!"

Get a boyfriend Cleve.:PLOL!

25 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Reminds me of a guy I was in a carpool with once. He told me he went to a female MD and during the checkup she insisted she needed to check his prostate which he said was uncomfortable letting a woman doctor do. I said, "So let me get this straight. You'd rather have a guy with his finger up your butt than a woman? Sit on the other side of the car buddy!"

Get a boyfriend Cleve.:PLOL!

He was uncomfortable with a woman checking his prostate? Wtf was wrong with him? Can u imagine hiw "on the ball" men would be with their prostate checkups if their proctologists looked like this?

831585c2b6f4622b7bf3632dcb9f3476--alpha-

38 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

lol... similar story here, but I was the wise-butt...

After the check I asked her, "Was it good for you, too?"

Never took an appointment of mine again...

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

... optimism that is...

So, you were "on" her the whole time?  

And you didn't even take a trip to Rutland.

B)

22 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

He was uncomfortable with a woman checking his prostate? Wtf was wrong with him? Can u imagine hiw "on the ball" men would be with their prostate checkups if their proctologists looked like this?

831585c2b6f4622b7bf3632dcb9f3476--alpha-

I have a new lady doctor.  She is not totally unlike this....except she does button up more.  She didn't do a prostate exam....but she did schedule me for a colonostomy (sp?)  in January.

Archived