Sign in to follow this  
Clevfan4life

Our defense is #6 in rushing and #9 overall.

32 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Wonder how those defensive stats will look after getting gashed for 31 points today and what excuses will be made for the defense this week.  Can't really use they were tired because time of possesion because the Browns had a 34:30 to 25:30 edge in that stat this week so what was this weeks issue?

Tape shows a ton of over pursuit with some poor gap guessing on some gashing runs.(here is where Collins was missed again in huddle/field general at snap) Missing tackles came back.. mostly due to not wrapping them up. And man did we bite on a ton of Stafford's 1st vision reads.. 

stop telling me our defense is ranked so and so.  our overall defense SUCKS if we constantly give up 30 F'ing points a game

1 minute ago, Soju said:

stop telling me our defense is ranked so and so.  our overall defense SUCKS if we constantly give up 30 F'ing points a game

And that's the bright side of this team

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

And that's the bright side of this team

LOL!! (that deserved way more than just a laugh emoji) 

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

As for the, we have to keep Hue because we can't lose St. Greg Williams, wonder how much the Rams miss Williams this year? 

who knows, but they are ranked 16th in total defense which is worse than the Browns.

6 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

who knows, but they are ranked 16th in total defense which is worse than the Browns.

they're 7-2 and we are 0-9 and you're amazing defense just got ass fucked for 31 points.    Who fucking cares where their defense is ranked. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

they're 7-2 and we are 0-9 and you're amazing defense just got butt Shmucked for 31 points.    Who Shmucking cares where their defense is ranked. 

they're 7-2 because their offense is good. And? what's ur point? "Maybe" a 16th ranked defense paired with what appears to be a "very" good offense can get them a deep playoff run. Why does this have to be constantly explained? I could maybe understand people's antipathy if we've had consistently decent defenses over the years. But we haven't. Infact we've had some of the historically worst defense's in recent memory. I mean we're constantly in the bottom 5. So this year we're not but omg we're still not winning games so it's fine to redo the whole thing over again? that makes no fukking sense. Some of you should stop following football you don't understand the game.

Just now, Clevfan4life said:

they're 7-2 because their offense is good. And? what's ur point? "Maybe" a 16th ranked defense paired with what appears to be a "very" good offense can get them a deep playoff run. Why does this have to be constantly explained?

Because this team had a shitty offense last year and didn't do much except hire a whole new coaching staff.   Maybe our shitty offense will look better once you have someone running the offense who isn't a moron?   What is your excuse for why the defense looked like shit today?   If they're such a great defense, 24 points from the offense should be more than enough to win a game.    Guess those high rankings don't mean shit because the team is still 0-9.

Today the defense didn't hold up it's end of the deal. No debate. So let's go back to a 3-4. Fire Williams now before the seasons over and make sashi the new DC. I'm good with that, are you good with that mark?

Today the defense didn't hold up it's end of the deal. No debate.

Thanks Captain Obvious.   They aren't as good as the rankings you were so proud of.  As many of us tried to tell you.  

Just now, Mark O said:

Thanks Captain Obvious.   They aren't as good as the rankings you were so proud of.  As many of us tried to tell you.  

and as I explained to you earlier I knew full well they weren't. But they were absolutely improved over the defense's of the last several years. Of that there is no discussion. Massively improved.

and as I explained to you earlier I knew full well they weren't. But they were absolutely improved over the defense's of the last several years. Of that there is no discussion. Massively improved.

No they are not.  Not Massively improved..not even close.   Better...slightly.  Still not all that great.   Didn't look any different today than they did any other time in the last however many seasons.  Can't get off the field.  Can't get the big stop or turnover when needed.  

I think you've forgotten that we've been almost dead last in all categories for years. The short term memory of the avg browns fan in full display. "aww man I wish pettine was back, now that was  real coach and our defense was totes solid when he was here". And when Pettine was here aww man our D looked soooo much better with Horton, man I can't believe he only got a year

because I know what I'm talking about I'm telling you the last time a Cleveland Browns defense had a solid foundation was under Jauron. We had some decent players on other defense's but it all starts up front and the last time our front 4 was serviceable was under him....until this year that is.

16th ranked defense that's 28th in the league in points given up...... the only stat that matters. But who cares about points these days? After all, we're Browns fans and apparently the scoreboard doesn't really matter any more in our Bizarro World Universe. 

You're hung up on rankings.   You've already proven that those are totally misleading by saying the Browns defense (0-9) ranks higher than the Rams defense (7-2).    The only thing that matters is wins and losses.  This team doesn't win...like ever....so the defense is not that good.   Today being another example of them just getting their ass handed to them on defense, like has happened several other times this season.  A "good" defense doesn't have that happen in 1/2 the games of the season (Cincy, Indy, Houston, Detroit)...they're not that good.  Improved...sure.  A couple of decent players and maybe actual stars...maybe.  But they're not good.  The entire team is not good.  If they were...they'd have won a couple of games.

Just now, D Bone said:

16th ranked defense that's 28th in the league in points given up...... the only stat that matters. But who cares about points these days? After all, we're Browns fans and apparently the scoreboard doesn't really matter any more in our Bizarro World Universe. 

Only pretty stats matter and where a team is ranked in meaningless stats so sunshine pumpers can talk about the "process" and how the team is better now than it was 2 seasons ago and only idiots don't understand. 

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Only pretty stats matter and where a team is ranked in meaningless stats so sunshine pumpers can talk about the "process" and how the team is better now than it was 2 seasons ago and only idiots don't understand. 

I wonder how many Patriots fans sit around and talk about their offensive, defensive and special teams stat rankings? I'm betting they're talking about wins and Championships..... but what do I know.  

This defense gets no better with losing guys like Collins again..In 9 games we gave up 146 points in the 1st half..vs 91 points in the 2nd half..In the last 2 games both Vikings & Lions scored 21 in 2nd half..42 of the 91 scored..that's not like a Gregg Williams defense..

35 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Improved...sure. 

You could have just stopped right there. That's the main reason you don't let Williams go. He "improved", and in no small manner.....one of the perennially worst defense's in the NFL. Period, end of discussion. NO ONE is claiming the Browns are in the same discussion as the 85 bears so stop acting like people defending Williams are isinuating that, we're not. In one year he's made this defense "much" better, which ofc is a relative statement given that we're historically just pure utter Shiite of a defense that doesn't belong on a college field. That's the reason I bring up stats, not because they matter overall but they are a metric that shows improvement...improvement we simply cannot throw away. We let Williams go we're likely back to the bottom of the rankings because 1) a scheme change is likely because....well...just cause, it's what the browns do   and 2) it'll be another assistant to the LB'er coach who'll agree to come here.

He's an assistant coach.  No way in hell am I keep coach Huey and his shitty record just so the DC doesn't leave.    If the new coach doesn't want him...screw him...there's plenty of good coaches out there that will be looking for work.  If Williams doesn't want to stay with the new coach...then don't let the door hit you in the ass coach...  see ya..thanks for the season.    The HC has to go because he's a bad coach.  Another season won't make him a good coach.  His record speaks for itself.   1-24..2-30.    That's the bottom line in a bottom line league.   1 win and 24 losses as HC of the Browns and 2 wins and 30 losses in his last 32 as a Head Coach.  Thanks Huey but piss off...you're a lousy HC.

34 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

You could have just stopped right there. That's the main reason you don't let Williams go. He "improved", and in no small manner.....one of the perennially worst defense's in the NFL. Period, end of discussion.

While I agree that your hardcore stance of "he improved the D, so he's good coach, end of discussion, period" is technically correct, but the reality is that the improvement bar was set pretty damn low. Yes, he has improved the D when compared to what we are used to seeing 'round these parts, but that isn't saying much - if anything.

The D is still among the league's worst units in points allowed, and that stat can not be argued or rationalized as points are what the game is decided by each week. I like Greg, but in no way do I see him as a "gotta have deal breaker" in terms of what changes are coming...... At the end of the day, his defensive unit is an integral part of an 0-9 team, possible on their way to 0-16. 

its not like our defense every year over the last 5 yeas has been dead last...we've always vacillated between 'sorta bad' to 'very bad'.....the fact that for much of the year the defense has been on the 'sorta bad' end of the spectrum(but some other metrics has been worse) is hardly reason to believe that Greg Williams needs to stay.