THE BROWNS BOARD

Ideal Draft Pick (at this point)

MLD Woody

Decent amount of draft talk, so I figured I'd join in. My question:

Who is your ideal Draft pick for the Browns, based on what we know now?

My pick is Derwin James. While I think Peppers can learn that center fielder role, I think he would be much more productive closer to the LOS. That means we would need a true FS, and that's what James is. He's incredibly versatile, and will be one of the top picks this draft. Pairing James, Peppers and a creative DC gives us countless options and schemes on D. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what we know now, I take the highest rated QB.

Based on what I hope - The Browns signing a big time vet QB like Cousins, then I would like the best offensive skill position player. 

^ No names I know, but I'll leave that for the part time college scouts that reside on this board...... Looking forward to looking back (that was Yogi Berra like) at this post come next April.

Trade down for picks lower in the draft and for some more picks in rounds one and two next year.

That WILL be the scenario, based on experience, if this FO is to continue to be in control next year.  

So, that means start looking for prospects that are rated in the teens and 20s.

Guys like Mike McGlintchey OT Notre Dame    or Dean Cain WR Clemson or Jaire Alexander CB Louisville  or Luke Falk QB Wash. St. 

That sort of thing....rather than the top prospects.

And, by the way.....whose extra pick do we have for next year?   OK, I checked it out....they have their own in round one plus the Texans.  They have their own in round 2, plus the Texans and the Eagles. 

Texans could win their division....so that will be low....in the 20s probably.  And the Eagles could win the SB....that pick from them that we have may be #64...or in the 60s somewhere. 

(And yes....of course....we know that the Browns are the instruments of their own destruction....have traded the rights to both Wentz and Watson....who are leading those two teams probably both to playoff berths)

I think Lamar Jacksonis going to be viewed as the top QB prospect when it's all said and done. Say what you will, but the guy has a skill set that is EERILY similar to Mike Vick, and the type of game that is quickly becoming more of the norm in the NFL. He's honestly a more polished RG3 without the injury concerns.

Sign Cousins, sign a tackle to eventually replace Joe Thomas (That is, if he can make it back..)

Draft Saquon Barkley. Kid is a scoring machne. 230lbs and runs a 4.3 40. We need a running game.

Draft a CB with our 2nd 1st pick, and go WR, FS, LB for the next 3 picks. We can find good talent in the 2nd at those positions

Hope to god that Josh Gordon and/or Corey Coleman can return in 2018 and play a full season..

I have to agree with mudfly that it's a shame we have so many promising (to varying degrees) strong safeties on this team and no FS. Those were just wasted picks as long as they're on the bench (we can worry about depth later).

20 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Decent amount of draft talk, so I figured I'd join in. My question:

Who is your ideal Draft pick for the Browns, based on what we know now?

My pick is Derwin James. While I think Peppers can learn that center fielder role, I think he would be much more productive closer to the LOS. That means we would need a true FS, and that's what James is. He's incredibly versatile, and will be one of the top picks this draft. Pairing James, Peppers and a creative DC gives us countless options and schemes on D. 

Everyone on this board knows I'm an FSU boy, and I still live in Tallahassee.  Derwin is cut from a different cloth, and even though it's been a tough year for my boys, he's been pretty awesome.  We're basically down to our 4th string QB, and he's a TRUE freshman.  We lost our first string QB to injury, our 2nd string when a drunk fat girl kept hitting him and he knocked her out, and then the #1 QB prospect in the universe when he kept snorting coke.  4th string QB = disaster.

I haven't seen Lamar Jackson at all.  But people were getting their panties in a bunch about watson too.  Talking about he's rg4... He'll get injured right away... Can't make plays in the NFL.. Noodle arm,  not a pocket passer Etc. He's looked awesome so far.  

No need to scout buckeyes... We all know that the Browns will never pick any of them ever.  

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Pls tell me ur not insinuating we should scout barrett, ur not doing that right? Right?

F no.  Barrett isn't an NFL qb. But they always have studs at about 8 different positions in every single draft.  We get to see most of them making plays against us every weekend.  

Barkley or bust. Crowell isn't the answer at RB, face it. He's an over performing 6th rounder that is basically average at best. He trips over his own feet- CONSISTENTLY. I root for Crowell but he is a backup RB. Barkley-Crowell-Duke-and a FB and that is a good stable. 

Just now, PoeticG said:

Barkley or bust. Crowell isn't the answer at RB, face it. He's an over performing 6th rounder that is basically average at best. He trips over his own feet- CONSISTENTLY. I root for Crowell but he is a backup RB. Barkley-Crowell-Duke-and a FB and that is a good stable. 

Hue plays favorites, and he loves Crow. That's why dukes not a 3 down back. I'm literally so sick of crows runs for one yard or no game. It isn't fooling anyone.

Take Barkley with the 1st first round pick and the best LT to replace Thomas. Or if you have to... flip those but make sure to move up enough to get Barkley. 

1 minute ago, stillmotion said:

Hue plays favorites, and he loves Crow. That's why dukes not a 3 down back. I'm literally so sick of crows runs for one yard or no game. It isn't fooling anyone.

The "GoOd" part about our FO is they ARE numbers guys and Crowell is a FA next year. We are gonna make him walk just like Pryor and just like Haden, if he doesn't take a substantial pay reduction. Barkley is better AND younger AND Cheaper...

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

The "GoOd" part about our FO is they ARE numbers guys and Crowell is a FA next year. We are gonna make him walk just like Pryor and just like Haden, if he doesn't take a substantial pay reduction. Barkley is better AND younger AND Cheaper...

if hue stays, i bet we resign crow to a 3 year deal.

7 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I think Barkley would make a better TE than RB. He could go after passes the way he went after rebounds.   Oh....wait... Wrong Barkley?

You prefer this one:

d07cbarkley-in-drag-thumb-400xauto-33088

Love barkley but can we pass on qb's that are at least right now in their respective carreers way better than wentz? I mean u guys cry about not taking wentz when he was some d2 ginger throwing all over nobodys.....but guys playing legit d1 ball, nahh?

obviously if we could somehow convince an established vet to come here, like cousins but yeah that aint happenin, than Shmuck yeah u take barkley with the 1st and ur putting an instant run game behind ur qb

Give me Hogan at QB. Barkley and Duke at RB, Gordon, Coleman and Pryor at WR. Njoku and DeValve at TE, hell even Telfer. Playoffs. 

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Take Barkley with the 1st first round pick and the best LT to replace Thomas. Or if you have to... flip those but make sure to move up enough to get Barkley. 

We shouldn’t have to use a first rounder on Joe’s replacement. 

Derwin? Saw him once early and he was nothing special. Has he come on as the season's rolled by?

7 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Give me Hogan at QB.

You can have him...

Interesting Walterfootball takes & comments. Have us going with LamarJackson as #1 overall now. I'm not sure I like the "ball placement" comment however. They have the Giants picking up Rosen for E.M. to groom.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

And here's their list of WRs for 2018 draft

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019WR.php

And safeties

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018S.php

On 10/25/2017 at 3:36 PM, domcucch1994 said:

Sign Cousins, sign a tackle to eventually replace Joe Thomas (That is, if he can make it back..)

Draft Saquon Barkley. Kid is a scoring machne. 230lbs and runs a 4.3 40. We need a running game.

Draft a CB with our 2nd 1st pick, and go WR, FS, LB for the next 3 picks. We can find good talent in the 2nd at those positions

Hope to god that Josh Gordon and/or Corey Coleman can return in 2018 and play a full season..

I can promise you Barkley doesn't run a 4.3.  

edit:

If we take Jackson #1 overall then this franchise Shmucking deserves to pack it up and fold.  

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I can promise you Barkley doesn't run a 4.3.  

edit:

If we take Jackson #1 overall then this franchise Shmucking deserves to pack it up and fold.  

Honestly man, the idea of drafting a dude like Lamar used to scare the crap outta me. But it's time to at least start noticing that these freak athletes and not "prototype" QB's are becoming successful, and even franchise, level QBs. Tyrod Taylor, Watson, Prescott, Wilson, etc etc. 

I'm not even saying I want the guy, but he's a damn good player.

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Honestly man, the idea of drafting a dude like Lamar used to scare the crap outta me. But it's time to at least start noticing that these freak athletes and not "prototype" QB's are becoming successful, and even franchise, level QBs. Tyrod Taylor, Watson, Prescott, Wilson, etc etc. 

I'm not even saying I want the guy, but he's a damn good player.

Hue seeing the earth move with RG3 should scare most on here with Lamar. Saw Lamar in Raleigh & NC State's Ryan Finley just out pro'd Lamar in the pocket that night..Lamar seemed to give up on trusting his arm to open receivers for his feet that night..Not a good idea at next level..Good size, Freak Athletic fits Lamar from my seats thou.. 

Archived