THE BROWNS BOARD

"Read a lot into it. Quinn on track to be the starter"

OconRecon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For continuity sake

We need to name a starting QB sooner than later ,all this indecision at QB has a negative effect on an offense and this bullshit has been going on for way to long.

Pick Quinn and stick with it.

WHOEVER IT MAY BE........as long as its Quinn

There, fixed that for ya

Considering both guys are getting the same number of reps in practice, I can't see Quinn's getting tired to the point that DA has to step in for him as a strong point.

Surely you're not so obtuse as to miss obvious sarcasm...

And...uh...yeah. There's a reason why you have a bunch of QBs in OTAs and camp.

haven't heard anything on Anderson. that's because both media days fell on Quinn days.

Sounds like Quinn threw one right to Don Carey on defense too. I thought Quinn knew Daboll's offense inside and out? He must be having problems reading defenses.

Wrong. OBR just tweeted it was Richard Bartel.

And Don Carey saying:

doncarey - LOL i was getting ready to twitt my excitement for the INT i got today but everyone beat me to the punch... yall or on ya game man... thanks

22 minutes ago from web

This has been a very interesting thread...I feel my football knowledge is pretty solid, I'm probably a bit old school for the modern game with instant stats and the game being analized with stats up the ying yang... I think fantasy football has made a lot of experts out of the modern fan... With the crunching of statistical trends,what is needed to win jumps out at you and you'd have to be blind and a bit stupid not to recognize them...

Please don't take this in a negative way, I have a lot of respect for many of the posters on this board, Shep, Riffer, Roach & Zombo quickly come to mind, and I think this is the most entertaining site on the web....

Like I said, I'm old school, attended my 1st Browns game in 1953 and was lucky enough to have lived through the Browns dynasty years... Very similiar to the Steeler years of the 70's..... I listened to the Browns NFL championship game in 1964 on the radio in Weirton West Virginia... I remember making the trip to Cleveland with some frat brothers to celebrate their title ( The super bowl of my generation) a day or two later..

I've been in my share of locker rooms, at least enough to recognize what it takes to be a winner... Speaking of the Steeler years, I remember Bradshaw, who was accused of being so dumb he couldn't spell cat even if you spotted him a c and a t..... I also remember Swann & Stallworth making a ton of highlight reel catches that went on the stat sheet as a catch or TD for Bradshaw... You could say that those receivers along with Franco, "immaculate reception" Harris, Rocky Blier and others in that high powered offenses put Bradshaw in the HOF...

I see a lot of Bradshaw in DA with the only thing missing is the supporting cast.... Truth of the matter is, great QB's make the play when the play has to be made... Kosar did it, Sipe did it---- It's what great QB's do... Now don't start yelling DA couldn't do it, he sucks, kick him to the curb----remember receivers make the QB and visa versa.......

On the other hand , I see a bit of Kosar in Quinn.... Kosar beat you with his skills along with his mind....I say bit because I haven't seen Quinn play in a meaningful game... Keep in mind I missed last season and only read of Quinns performance in the 3 games that he started..... Personally I think his time has come and he should be under center come opening day... I want to see if he can make the play when the play has to be made...

The beauty of this competition is, if Quinn can't cut it, we still have DA.... I like our odds this year.....

ps. Guaranteed I make a tailgate this fall....

peace

T.Dawg

Another aspect of all this is the Mangini factor. This guy is huge on earning your roster or starting spot and competition, and that includes QB.

It would look pretty hypocritical of him to just hand the job to Quinn without giving off at least the facade that it's a fair competition.

DA will have to seriously outplay Quinn to start, and does anybody really think that will happen in Daboll's offense? This isn't Chud in Big Arm Love fresh off a Phillip contract and starting announcement. Also, guys get hurt and Quinn could go down in camp. Would you rather have DA feeling he was the backup at that point or actually had a shot for the job?

Everything Mangini does is well thought out and thorough, so he's doing just as he should and it's par for his course.

I totally agree.... I can't fathom Anderson starting... The only way that is possible is if he completely out plays Quinn... It would have to be by leaps and bounds.... I'm good with that....

The little I've seen of Quinn he's impressed me... I like his football make up and seriously, whats not to like about him... He can be the face of my franchise as long as he wins...

The offense that I think I'll be seeing this season appears to fit Quinns game quite well.... Lets run with it and put together multiple winning seasons and playoff appearances.... Once again, I want the QB job to be won or lost, on the field....

DA's not stupid either... It's a business and I'd bet money that he worked on his weaknesses in the off season... I would imagine that he did a lot of film work and probably consulted with people that could improve his game.....He knows quite well what the game is all about and in addition if he plays lights out this season he has a 7.5 million plus contract as his prize...

Quinn will be given every opportunity to win or lose the job... He's no dummy either and knows what the stakes are for him financially.... Quinn starts and I hope he's fantastic....

peace

T.Dawg

Another point, there are still teams that could use an upgrade in their Qb position... Good news coming out from Berera about DA increases the chances that we get a can't refuse offer for his services....

Mangini is out of the Belicheck (sic???) mold and deception is a trait that he may have picked up... Ratliff on the roster makes a trade that much more possible....

It wouldn't surprise me though if DA was on the squad the entire year.... Next years contract isn't guaranteed and he'd be good insurance...

peace

T.Dawg

Guest Aloysius
Another aspect of all this is the Mangini factor. This guy is huge on earning your roster or starting spot and competition, and that includes QB.

It would look pretty hypocritical of him to just hand the job to Quinn without giving off at least the facade that it's a fair competition.

Good point, but I think it's more than that. With Mangini, you're getting a guy who kept four quarterbacks on last year's opening day roster because he didn't want to risk putting Brett Ratliff or Erik Ainge on the waiver wire, but then watched his own team crumble as the veteran QB he gave up on led another team to the playoffs. Considering that most people believe that Favre was the reason Mangini ended up losing his job, it makes sense that the big guy would put a lot of focus on finding the right young QB to build around in Cleveland.

That, I think, explains the interest in Sanchez. Mangini reportedly spent four hours watching film with him, which seems a little much for even the most intricate of smokescreens. Ultimately, Mangini wasn't intrigued enough to draft the guy, but the Belichick disciple within him made sure to do his due diligence...and then some.

I think the same applies with DA. If he doesn't finish the season as our starter, he won't be back in 2010, so this will be Mangini's only chance to get a good read on him. Sure, he's got a lot of ugly film, but there also were a ton of team issues that Zombo's catalogued in other threads. The folks at the OBR reported that some within the new regime don't think Derek was put in a position to succeed last year because he's a guy who needs to be working within a solid system. When that structure isn't there, he forces a lot of throws, with the result not being too pretty.

While most fans are eager to see what Brady can do, I bet that Mangini's also interested in making sure he's not trading or cutting another successful quarterback. So if DA significantly outplays Quinn, he'll be the opening day starter. And if that happens, it shouldn't exactly be a stake to the heart of Quinn fans. The guy's signed for three more years; he's got plenty of time to impress Mangini.

So if DA significantly outplays Quinn, he'll be the opening day starter. And if that happens, it shouldn't exactly be a stake to the heart of Quinn fans. The guy's signed for three more years; he's got plenty of time to impress Mangini.

If Quinn doesn't win the gig and isn't in position to get his 11 mil, him and his agent will be working for a trade immediately.

This is do or die time for Quinn in Cleveland.

Don't understand your comment Lums..... Quinn will be given every opportunity to win or lose the QB job!!!!!! Maybe I should of stated the obvious, currently Quinn is the unofficial #1 QB on the team.... Like it or not, he's in the drivers seat and it's his job to win or lose.... He's been given the opportunity first and has to rise to the occasion.... Nothing negative about your boy, it's just the way it is......

peace

T.Dawg

Maybe I should of stated the obvious, currently Quinn is the unofficial #1 QB on the team....

I fear you are falling into the hole of OBR/Grossi/shep and their issues regarding jumping to conclusions based on hearsay and other assumed facts. To some of those guys, Quinn could pee on the practice field turf and they'd tell you it means he's a leader and on the inside track to get the job. You gotta keep on your toes or you'll be swimming in a sea of their bullshit.

Fact is, as Mangini says, there is no #1 at the moment. And reps are split evenly because he wants to have a QB competition. When people like RifferX try to tell you that he thinks the QB competition is a facade, remember that he just says that because he wants it to be a facade, not because it is.

And here's another juicy tidbit: "Currently" Quinn is working with the backups while Anderson is taking reps with the 1st team. [FACT] And according to shep that means DA would get the nod if there was a game on Sunday.

To the hypothetical question, what if Anderson is amazing in preseason and Quinn is dreadful? You mean like Quinn was amazing and everybody else was dreadful prior to the 2007 season?

no because they'd probably both be playing in similar parts of the game, against 1st and 2nd stringers.

as you may or may not recall [blocked out of your memory?], in 2007 Quinn played in mop up time vs the cut list and threw check-downs.

Good to hear you haven't given up on that old conspiracy theory against Quinn though. You're very persistent.

Archived