THE BROWNS BOARD

"Read a lot into it. Quinn on track to be the starter"

OconRecon

He says "don't believe Mangini's 'don't read a lot into Quinn starting this week'. It says a lot Quinn started this week and shows the coaches feel he worked harder this off season. Brady Quinn is on track to be the starter".

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as im concerned Lums and friends can bemoan the fact that BQ will likely be our starter all they want..mangini says not to read into it much but if you look at mangini when he tried to smooth it over he was way less then convincing...this is very significant and pretty much dictates that at this point only brady quinn can beat out brady quinn...;)

I believe BQ gets his shot. I think physically there is not a HUGE difference. Both will be able to make plays. I think BQ will take better care of the football and master the playbook better than DA. I hear from an avid Jets fan that the QB we got in the trade (Brent Ratliff) would have likely won the Jets QB job, (if they stayed with who they had), at some time during the year and was upset they traded him to us. I think that if a starting QB goes down somewhere before the season starts..... The value on DA goes up and he goes bye bye. Ratliff becomes the backup, Otherwise DA will be a good backup and hopefully we can figure out how to keep Ratliffe on the roster or get him to the practice squad without losing him.

That being said. Too too much can happen before September to count one guy in or out at this point.

He says "don't believe Mangini's 'don't read a lot into Quinn starting this week'. It says a lot Quinn started this week and shows the coaches feel he worked harder this off season. Brady Quinn is on track to be the starter".

Reminds me of when Clayton said Bill Cowher is on track to be the Browns coach

Again....I think some on here are like dogs and Lums is the Master.

Many of you call him out before he even says a word.

Weird how you always seem to come running to point this out.

I'm wondering who is the dog...or maybe you're his master.

New rumor. Ballpeen is Lums puppet master.

Weird how you always seem to come running to point this out.

I'm wondering who is the dog...or maybe you're his master.

New rumor. Ballpeen is Lums puppet master.

I have only said it once before, and the best I recall is you replied after Lum, so the comment doesn't even apply to you.

Wish I understood the dog-owner blurbs. I don't get it. We're engaging in the #1 football board practice, debating a quarterback "competition." It's what we do.

'Peen, you do a lot of good stuff here. I think this one is a miss.

It isn't to call people dogs my friend. It just seems odd people who seem to not like the guy are almost conditioned to be preemptive in their actions, or that is simply their motivation.....I understand some like smack talk on a message board.

Who cares....Lums likes Anderson and isn't afraid to say so. Maybe the motivation is he doesn't like Quinn...again...so what

I agree with many....unless Quinn really fouls up somehow or Anderson finds something new, Quinn will be under center opening game.

It isn't to call people dogs my friend. It just seems odd people who seem to not like the guy are almost conditioned to be preemptive in their actions, or that is simply their motivation.....I understand some like smack talk on a message board.

Who cares....Lums likes Anderson and isn't afraid to say so. Maybe the motivation is he doesn't like Quinn...again...so what

I agree with many....unless Quinn really fouls up somehow or Anderson finds something new, Quinn will be under center opening game.

Lums loves anderson...i like anderson just not as much as i like bq i think DA could be a very good qb with a lot of work and a few years to grow he suffered under very poor coaching with scherer...with mangini da will not stare down and will scan and read the field or he wont play period..;)

I like lums he adds some funny to this board during offseason and during season...hehehehe

Now you understand.

It isn't that i don't think Lums isn't formidable, but he is pretty one tracked in his view....and that being the case, there really isn't much point debating the point.

I guess the point to me is debate is engaging in conversation trying to sway anothers opinion. This isn't like my old college debate team where someone is grading the value of the argument where point, counterpoint is important. This is simply making a point. If after a while you see the point is never going to be made, it goes from debating a point to bickering a position.(I should take my own advice in the political forum ;) )

Anyway...I might not go so far as to say Quinn is a lock for the starting position. i like to gamble every now and then, and think more in terms of odds and percentages....Quinn at this point is about 85% certain of being the guy for at least the next year.

The way I see this is Dabolls offense is as Shep describes it as more of a New Englandish/Weiss type offense....That requires a Cerebral QB...An offense predicated on running the ball...and WR's executing timing routes and patterns...Quinn has been here "Studying" the offense while Drive Assasin was on holiday driving the lil white rock around the holy land......As far as Im concerened...I havent seen anything heady about DA's play at QB...nada,zip,zilch...And judging by DA's demeanor...One gets the sense he really doesnt want to be here....and thats fine by Me....

Peen, your smarter than this, or so I thought.

It isn't a simple hatred of Quinn or love of DA that gets lumnuts the hate he receives here.

It's the fact that he is a charlatan, a fraud, a bogus fan. He loves the Browns no more than your average steeler fan, and his loyalty for this team goes as far as Anderson is under contract. The second he is moved Lum will no longer be a "fan" of the cleveland Browns.

So we pile on him at every chance, because it's a bit like high school when a poser comes up and tries to hang with the cool kids, but everybody knows the kid is as big a dork as they come.

Hang on to those highschool years Inspecta. Are the "cool kids" always the cool ones years later?

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: Lumbergh.

· View this post

· Un-ignore Lumbergh

I love the ignore list...love it

best part is, every single one of them is SO worth ignoring too. worthless, garbage posts.

the only reason that queer isn't banned, is because he's the board admin's alter ego.

Let me see how Quinn performs against the Steelers...

Thats the test that will put all this "expert" foolishness to bed once and for all...

It's hard to spin a performance against the Steelers---either you have or you don't....

peace

T.Dawg

And so far we know DA's record and performance against them. I guess Tim Couch has it.

On Anderson spending the entire off season away - Got a link?

Weren't there photos of Quinn and Anderson lifting posted a while back? Wasn't there a link or two with reports that Anderson was making the right moves by being a regular at Berea? It'd be curious to see where Anderson admits he's spent the entire off season playing golf. There is the post below stating he's visited home, played some golf and went to the Masters (what's that, 4 days?), but "entire"?

Give me a QB that can beat the steelers and he gets my vote... Bernie beat em' and even if we lost it was still a good game.... These embarassments that we've been on the receiving end of sure do suck....

To beat em' you have to out play them, out think them and out coach them.... Quinn could possibly fit that bill and he needs a chance to show it... Let teh games begin...

peace

T.Dawg

Give me a QB that can beat the steelers and he gets my vote... Bernie beat em' and even if we lost it was still a good game.... These embarassments that we've been on the receiving end of sure do suck....

To beat em' you have to out play them, out think them and out coach them.... Quinn could possibly fit that bill and he needs a chance to show it... Let teh games begin...

peace

T.Dawg

Man I hope so. 4-12 last season sucked, but it would have been like being 8-8 if we'd been able to beat PITT once or twice.

Then again, winning one against the Steelers might have saved RACs job. Guess it's a good thing we didn't.

So now we're concerned that Anderson hung out with his wife in his home town, played some golf and attended a major sporting event in the offseason?

What a slacker!

It's the offseason. Heal your body and your mind. I'm sure he kept up with his film studies and workouts.

Again ... this board is trying to hate this 25yo kid when there is nothing to hate about him.

I hope he did whatever had to do to become a focused, healthy, prepared football player for the Cleveland Browns this year.

Zombo

Zombo you hit the bull's eye...

The day of the off season of driving cabs, selling insurance, running a bar or restaurant are gone with the dinosaurs...

Most NFL players took off a few weeks then began their off season training program... Some did it in Berera, some with other NFL players, some in private programs...

I'm also amazed at the hatred thrown toward this kid... With some posters its as if he slept with their significant other...There have been multiple factors contributing to his poor won - loss record (thats what its all about, isn't it).....

By all logic, Quinn should be under center come opening day... I hope he lives up to his billing and performs in the mold of Sipe & Kosar...

However, with the injury rate of todays QB's, Anderson is a good insurance policy if needed... Hasn't the mood here stated more than once that the prior coaching staff sucked and the new regime will "coach them up" this year???? I guess we have to include DA in that assesment....

I just don't understand the hate for DA... I just don't get it>>>>

peace

T.Dawg

Honestly, a good amount of the perceived ill will towards DA on this board is the direct result of the entity, human or otherwise, known as "Lumbergh".

I'm as guilty as the next guy of letting Lum's insanity affect my perception of DA.

So, to offset the Lum Bias effect, I just go back to this simple statement:

DA had his chance and failed, for reasons well documented. And now BQ deserves his shot.

It's that simple right now.

But I agree with Zombo, daddbull and shep that DA is still a valuable commodity and by all accounts a decent guy. I

(I've been making the commodity argument since DA's first big game. I was one of the few that was all for trading him as early as the mid-point of '07 simply on the cost-benefit analysis.)

I don't hate Derek Anderson and have never slagged the kid at all. He's by all accounts a good guy and I would pick him over Charlie Frye every Sunday for a million years. He has a big arm and throws a gorgeous ball quite effortlessly.

I think there are a lot of things, all well discussed, that prevent him from being a true franchise quarterback in this league like Manning, Brady, Brees, Favre, and even Ryan, Rivers, Rodgers and a lot of others. There are holes in the mental aspect of the game and in his demeanor that haven't changed in the past eight years. Frankly, he would've made more sense in about 1975.

In today's NFL, he just doesn't work. Bombs don't happen often and beating sophisticated defenses with any consistency requires a really smart guy and about a 65% completion percentage with very few picks.

Indeed; could not agree more the kid throws a TON of picks and I have a feeling does not have the grey matter to lead an NFL squad on the field

beating sophisticated defenses with any consistency requires a really smart guy and about a 65% completion percentage with very few picks.

Ok, well so far Quinn has completed 49.5% of his passes. As far as who's smarter, it's hard to say, but I haven't seen Anderson pick a fight with a 300 lb. lineman or rally for John McCain.

I like everything about Anderson except for his maddingly inconsistent accuracy on easy routes. He's tall enough, strong enough, smart enough, nice enough, enough of a leader ... he just needs to pass the football better.

And if Quinn passes the football better he'll get the job. He has the inside track. He just needs to go out an do it. No use talking about it until he does.

Zombo

It was my understanding that Quinn simply had enough of Smith's loud mouth; you never stand down to a bully and Smith seems every part of the fat ass bully that we all knew back in the day

DA simply drives me nuts with his penchant of INT(s) and blown medium level throws...we shall see

It was my understanding that Quinn simply had enough of Smith's loud mouth; you never stand down to a bully and Smith seems every part of the fat ass bully that we all knew back in the day

Yeah, I don't really know what happened there and I don't think it matters. My point is to show that it's just as easy to pick on Quinn as this board picks on Anderson. If you want to find fault with a guy, it's an easy thing to do. Lums has everyone whipped up into a frenzy around here.

I look forward to it being settled on the football field. Mangini is going to play the better player, and we'll know who that is soon enough, no need to bash the other guy, he's a Brown and we may need him.

The fact that Anderson is from Oregon and goes back there during his time off shouldn't bother anyone. Brian Sipe was from San Diego and he always went back there, is still back there, and we love him.

The fact that Anderson can't hit a guy 10 yards away half the time ... THAT'S why it is Quinn's job to lose.

Zombo

Zombo, you know better than that. Quinn had ONE healthy outing and posted a 104 passer rating. Midway through the first quarter of his next start, in sub-zero weather, he broke his finger.

All we have is some good preseason performances, the SF cameo in 2007, and the Denver game as far as Brady Quinn Without a Broken Finger. That's it.

You really can't establish somebody's norm in 4.5 quarters of healthy regular season play, but he completed about 70% of his passes in that time and didn't turn the ball over. He also had two TD passes dropped.

Can Quinn put up the numbers you almost always need to win in this league? I believe Clayton says it's 63% and edging close to a 2/1 TD/INT ratio. He backed it up with some bottom line wins and losses stuff, too. This league is dominated by precision passing and defense. The answer: We don't know yet. But we pretty well know Anderson can't.

Quinn's intelligence, natural leadership, and workaholic nature leads you to believe he'll handle the mental part of this VERY sophisticated game way better than Anderson. But we won't know until we know. We agree on that.

My strong opinion: Anderson is NOT a leader. He's way too laid back for that. He might be a good guy and well liked... but if Marino and Unitas are the extremes, DA is at the opposite end. While Quinn got a high 20s Wonderlic, DA got a 17, which is below acceptable level for a QB. I don't think he's stupid... I just don't think he's a rapid processor. That's why he goes to his first option about 90% of the time.

He may not be lazy but he's far from a workaholic film junkie type like Manning or Quinn. He strikes me as the George Bush of quarterbacking: Maybe he WOULD be okay to have a beer with, but I don't want him leading the country/team.

I think you're jumping to conclusions about both Anderson and Quinn. Quinn is an NFL novice that has to prove himself. One good game against Denver's defense tells me nothing. He has to prove himself over the course of a season, I think he'll get that opportunity. As for Anderson not being a leader, that goes against everything I have seen and heard from teammates. Again, I think his problem is the passing of the football.

Wonderlic ... whatever. It's an interesting tool for scouting, but Charlie Frye got a 38 and Dan Marino got a 13. I think Frye took more stupid sacks in one game than Marino did in his career.

Anderson and Quinn are both smart enough, big enough , strong enough, etc. to play in this league ... whoever passes the football better will be our QB. That shoud be Quinn. Unless DA's golf swing has transformed his "short game" in the NFL.

Zombo

Shep, you have some good points in this thread. DA can throw it as well as anybody, and he is accurate even on the short and intermittent stuff during drills and practice. He'll tear up just about anybody in 7 on 7's and when he is wearing that red jersey in training camp he can still look good in full on contact scrimmages. The problem is, you can throw all that out the window come game time against real defenses.

The guy is worthless if the primary is covered, and a lot of it is related to his big feet and poor footwork. Once he is out of his rhythm it's over and at that point it's impossible to predict where the ball is going. I just don't think this is something that he will ever figure out, it's not in his makeup. Last season was just so tough to judge anybody, but the bottom line is I saw him reverting back to the same old issues he's always had. The guy is not a playmaker in the sense he can smartly keep drives alive with his feet, buying time hitting guys in stride for YAC, etc. When the pressure comes he is going to chuck it up to the primary, always has and probably always will. He doesn't have near what Quinn does in the intangibles department that moves the chains, and I don't need to see anymore of Quinn to know that. You can roll about 30 QB's in the league out there that are better than DA at that stuff, and certainly Quinn is one of them.

My main concerns with Quinn are downfield accuracy and staying healthy, I'm pretty sure the rest of his game is just fine and especially is conducive to this offense.

Archived