THE BROWNS BOARD

QBs the Browns could have picked

The Gipper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

1979  Joe Montana #82 pick   He went in round 3 so every team passed him up twice.  Browns however used two picks on Willis Adams and Sam Clampham. Ugh. But we did have Brian Sipe about in the middle of his prime.

Everybody missed out on that skinny legged QB from Notre Dame but that's what the draft is all about.  You don't see as many big misses like there used to be with today's cottage industry in all things sports. It's just that the BROWNS futility except maybe for Sipe and Kosar is just highlighted after a lifetime of big misses.

Listening to Louis Riddick on NFL Live yesterday...

Reminded viewers that he said Goff was the next Montana... and he is looking the part this year.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

1979  Joe Montana #82 pick   He went in round 3 so every team passed him up twice.  Browns however used two picks on Willis Adams and Sam Clampham. Ugh. But we did have Brian Sipe about in the middle of his prime.

Everybody missed out on that skinny legged QB from Notre Dame but that's what the draft is all about.  You don't see as many big misses like there used to be with today's cottage industry in all things sports. It's just that the BROWNS futility except maybe for Sipe and Kosar is just highlighted after a lifetime of big misses.

No one thought that the slight of build, mediocre arm strengthed Montana would turn out so good.   Even Sipe himself....a 13th round pick?   was much better than thought.  Browns had Sipe on board...and Joe didn't seem to really be an upgrade from him.  They were of similar stature and of similar arm strength.

This may be a case of right place, right time.   What if, for instance, Sipe had gone to play for Bill Walsh in his West Coast Offense?  Sipe may in fact have fit in perfectly there.....and he may have become the big time championship winning QB that Montana became.

Butterfly effect and all that.

On 10/24/2017 at 10:59 PM, hoorta said:

Odds- 50%.  :)   

Nah get over it, a couple of WINNERS rubbing it in our face. 

Nah. Making a sign to troll a team you're not even playing is pretty gay. 

15 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

6-1. One who loses is a loser. It appears that the Browns have a monopoly on that sort of thing.

I thought you were tougher than what you're showing lately, man.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

Nah. Making a sign to troll a team you're not even playing is pretty gay. 

I thought you were tougher than what you're showing lately, man.

The playcalling and game time decisions coupled with the disaster at WR and the progress that QBs are having that the FO passed on have sapped any confidence I had in the decision makers for the team. The losing is just the cherry on top. You can watch the Browns move the ball up the field and like clockwork Hue will malfunction and try to get cute with a play that falls flat while the offense is in some semblance of rhythm. The offense is already undisciplined and gets a boatload of penalties. Don't make it worse by trying to be a wise guy when the red zone is coming up.

It is great that Sashi and Co. gather a lot of assets. But they had better show a better ability to capitalize on it. I am open to eating crow next year if everyone is still in place but they start putting some wins together. As it stands, I don't see how that is possible. 

7 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The playcalling and game time decisions coupled with the disaster at WR and the progress that QBs are having that the FO passed on have sapped any confidence I had in the decision makers for the team. The losing is just the cherry on top. You can watch the Browns move the ball up the field and like clockwork Hue will malfunction and try to get cute with a play that falls flat while the offense is in some semblance of rhythm. The offense is already undisciplined and gets a boatload of penalties. Don't make it worse by trying to be a wise guy when the red zone is coming up.

It is great that Sashi and Co. gather a lot of assets. But they had better show a better ability to capitalize on it. I am open to eating crow next year if everyone is still in place but they start putting some wins together. As it stands, I don't see how that is possible. 

So your concern is with our lack of offensive talent even though it can move the ball ip the field often enough to make you mad about how Hue blows it? 

I don’t think you can have that one both ways. 

5 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Hue Mentality

"Our gameplan is working and we are in a pretty good rhythm."

*Red Zone approaches*

"No one will expect this double reverse flea flicker."

I get it. I just don’t see how your solution is “let’s scrap the whole thing and waste another two years learning another coach’s system” (and dump Greg Williams while we’re at it) as opposed to Hue just becoming a better RZ playcallef. 

For the millionth time it doesn't matter who they drafted at qb the o line sucks butt.  They would suck regardless who they got fix the line and the team will win a qb will not fix the browns the 20 or so they have had should prove that. 

7 hours ago, wargograw said:

So your concern is with our lack of offensive talent even though it can move the ball ip the field often enough to make you mad about how Hue blows it? 

I don’t think you can have that one both ways. 

I get it. I just don’t see how your solution is “let’s scrap the whole thing and waste another two years learning another coach’s system” (and dump Greg Williams while we’re at it) as opposed to Hue just becoming a better RZ playcallef. 

My concern is with the lack of WR help after having gone heavy on them during a draft. They turned into a ton of wasted picks on a team that can’t afford to squander shots at acquiring talent. This front office seems to have better luck sifting through practice squads for guys like Treggs than they do with actual picks. 

As for Hue, I don’t think he will pull some miracle turn around. If the guy isn’t pulling it together with a head on the block scenario unfolding, Hue never will.

52 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

My concern is with the lack of WR help after having gone heavy on them during a draft. They turned into a ton of wasted picks on a team that can’t afford to squander shots at acquiring talent. This front office seems to have better luck sifting through practice squads for guys like Treggs than they do with actual picks. 

As for Hue, I don’t think he will pull some miracle turn around. If the guy isn’t pulling it together with a head on the block scenario unfolding, Hue never will.

Exactly. The FO took a bunch of shots at WR hoping to find another Antonio Brown or Martavius Bryant in the lower rounds. & it looks like Coleman to date is pretty fragile. I have doubts he's ever going to be a legit #1 anyway. 

5 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Again, 3 of those picks were 4th round plus. I'm disappointed none of them hit too, but it happens. If you're expecting the FO to hit on every single pick (as the statement "can't afford to squander shots at acquiring talent" would indicate), you're going to be disappointed. 

I'd rather spend 50% of the millions we'd waste buying out Hue and his staff on giving him what he needs to improve in this area. But I know most just want their pound of flesh and have no patience. 

2 hours ago, wargograw said:

Again, 3 of those picks were 4th round plus. I'm disappointed none of them hit too, but it happens. If you're expecting the FO to hit on every single pick (as the statement "can't afford to squander shots at acquiring talent" would indicate), you're going to be disappointed. 

I'd rather spend 50% of the millions we'd waste buying out Hue and his staff on giving him what he needs to improve in this area. But I know most just want their pound of flesh and have no patience. 

A first rounder and yes, 3 4th round picks. All in the same draft. All misses. No one expects them to hit on every pick. But missing that badly all at the same position in the same draft has to be some sort of statistical anomaly or they could benefit from bringing in someone with football smarts. 

The coaches salary doesn't count against the cap. I could give a hot Sheet about whether or not Hue gets paid. Jimmy is already stealing money from the fans. 

As for patience, you are talking about a fan base that isn't asking for the world. The team went from 1-15 and is looking like it is going 0-16. I think a reasonable expectation of 3-4 wins in year two of a rebuild would be feasible. It shows progress in the win column. Not with Hue running the show.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

You're making my point. You'd rather just scrap everything and grab a new lottery ticket than actually try to build on what we're already doing and fix what's wrong. That's a grave error, in my opinion.

In fact if I were Jimmy I'd tell Hue that he needs to participate in hiring an OC because it is obvious he needs game day help so he can spend more time actually working as a HC and not a micromanager. Take the pressure off him and keep him away from deciding when it's time to yank a QB. There is no one in the bullpen who is going to do better, so leave him in no matter what save injury.

And why is it most of us knew ahead of time that this year was all about putting together a real defense and that the offense would struggle? We all knew the QB situation would be dire with a very difficult learning curve. This season should not be a surprise other than seeing some bad coaching errors. The man is under pressure and he needs help. The setup now brings on a coaching cave-in. Change the set-up before blowing up the team even yet again.

You could probably make a list like this for any team, and going back to the 50s and Johnny Unitas is pointless. But it is true that the Browns are the very worst at drafting and developing talent. Saying they suck would be an insult to organizations that actually do suck. It would be nice to have Wentz but he might be pummeled to death before an o-line would be assembled to protect him. If they end up with something from the picks they got for him, maybe it won’t be so bad, but it does look awful at this point. It’s like the 62 Mets over and over again......

48 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But the good news is the '62 Mets eventually became the 1969 Miracle Mets who won the WS. 

The '62 Mets were godawful because they were an expansion team.

The Browns expansion season was 18 years ago.

Years.

Ago.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The '62 Mets were godawful because they were an expansion team.

The Browns expansion season was 18 years ago.

Years.

Ago.

True dat, but regardless of how they got that way that was the closest comparison I could find. Maybe the Pirates, who stunk for 20 years.   

I wonder if the Browns front office would be too awful to be saved by the Force?

44 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

True dat, but regardless of how they got that way that was the closest comparison I could find. Maybe the Pirates, who stunk for 20 years.   

I wonder if the Browns front office would be too awful to be saved by the Force?

The Force, an army of priests, all the luck of the Irish and the end of the world might be needed to turn this around.

It almost should be impossible for the Browns to have been this bad for this long.

I sometimes look back to the 1989 season opener... The Browns annihilated the Steelers 51-0 at Three Rivers Stadium. I'm pretty sure some Steelers fan, practiced in the fine art of voodoo, in a fit of rage put a curse on the Browns in retaliation. It would explain the last 28 years of Browns football.

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Force, an army of priests, all the luck of the Irish and the end of the world might be needed to turn this around.

It almost should be impossible for the Browns to have been this bad for this long.

I sometimes look back to the 1989 season opener... The Browns annihilated the Steelers 51-0 at Three Rivers Stadium. I'm pretty sure some Steelers fan, practiced in the fine art of voodoo, in a fit of rage put a curse on the Browns in retaliation. It would explain the last 28 years of Browns football.

I have often thought that they should fire everyone who is drafting for them and give the job to the janitor or the secretary, and have them pick the next highest rated player on CBS Draft Prospects or whatever, each time their turn comes to draft. If you have a team that has won 1game in a season and a half, whatever position is played by the next guy up, you probably have a need there. Probably would not turn out worse than they have been doing and might turn out better.

5 hours ago, Buck The Frowns said:

I have often thought that they should fire everyone who is drafting for them and give the job to the janitor or the secretary, and have them pick the next highest rated player on CBS Draft Prospects or whatever, each time their turn comes to draft. If you have a team that has won 1game in a season and a half, whatever position is played by the next guy up, you probably have a need there. Probably would not turn out worse than they have been doing and might turn out better.

I understand that I'm a slapdick who posts on two message boards about the Browns and Indians. I have no clue how the salary cap works, who the LG on Eastern Kentucky is, or what a 3 gap DTackle is.

All than being said, I am 100% confident I could have drafted better in the first two drafts of the "new" Browns (1999/2000) with my Sporting News Draft Guides as my only tool. Those were atrocious.

I believe some of the QB we did draft could play but when you have a new coach every year or every other year and each coach is telling you different things...................Maybe we had the right qb and the wrong coach. Our QB is not calling plays it is our moron of a coach.  Just about every teammate said Johnny Football was a great player, just about all of them, what we seen was him not being able to play the way he wanted to, a coach who told him he wanted him to take a sack instead of running the ball, I am not saying JM was the answer at all or Anderson or Quinn or Mcoy I am only saying at some point we have to blame the coach for well not being able to coach.

Archived