THE BROWNS BOARD

QBs the Browns could have picked

The Gipper

OK, some of you pilgarlics want to talk about "Lost Opportunities" in the form of QBs the Browns failed to draft.  Well, here is a thread on it, so you can wallow in it.  Here is a list of QBs that the Browns could have drafted over the years, but missed opportunities to do so.  For like the last 50 years, I am only going to look at Hall of Famers.  After about 2000...I will look at some others:

1955 John Unitas.   The Browns passed on him 9 times (and so did everyone else).  Not one of the players the Browns chose before Johnny U was taken made a single Pro Bowl appearance.  The best player was a guy named Bobby Freeman...and he was not that much.

1956 Bart Starr. Similar, or maybe worse.   The Browns drafted 18 players before Starr was taken.  But a couple of those weren't so bad:  Paul Wiggin, to DE for the Browns.  And Willie Davis.  HOF Willie Davis....but the Browns compounded their mistake by trading Davis to the same Packers Starr played for...and there is where he made his HOF career.

1957 Sonny Jurgenson.  Browns drafted 4 players before Sonny was taken....But...one of those was a guy named Jim Brown. So, not so bad there.  Another was a QB named Milt Plum.  A good QB...made a couple of Pro Bowls...but didn't have the HOF career as did Jurgenson.  The other two players the Browns chose before Sonny were non entities.

1964 Roger Staubach.  The Browns drafted 7 players this year before Staubach was selected by the Cowboys.  Two of these were Hall of Famers Paul Warfield and Leroy Kelley.  The other 5 were non entities.  Recall that Staubach lasted so long in the draft because he had a 5 year Naval committment ahead of him...but the Cowboys were willing to wait.  Perhaps it would have been nice if the Browns had decided to wait as well.

1968. Ken Stabler.  He was #52.   Browns chose two players ahead of when he was chosen.  Marvin Upshaw and John Garlington.  Garlington a serviceable LB...but no Pro Bowls.

1973.  Dan Fouts.  #84 pick.  Browns chose 5 players ahead of him.  The best was Greg Pruitt...who made 5 Pro Bowls.  But none of the other players made a single Pro Bowl.  (But hell!!! we had Mike Phipps!)

1979  Joe Montana #82 pick   He went in round 3 so every team passed him up twice.  Browns however used two picks on Willis Adams and Sam Clampham. Ugh. But we did have Brian Sipe about in the middle of his prime.

Part Two....Post 1980 picks on next post

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

OK, some of you pilgarlics want to talk about "Lost Opportunities" in the form of QBs the Browns failed to draft.  Well, here is a thread on it, so you can wallow in it.  Here is a list of QBs that the Browns could have drafted over the years, but missed opportunities to do so.  For like the last 50 years, I am only going to look at Hall of Famers.  After about 2000...I will look at some others:

1955 John Unitas.   The Browns passed on him 9 times (and so did everyone else).  Not one of the players the Browns chose before Johnny U was taken made a single Pro Bowl appearance.  The best player was a guy named Bobby Freeman...and he was not that much.

1956 Bart Starr. Similar, or maybe worse.   The Browns drafted 18 players before Starr was taken.  But a couple of those weren't so bad:  Paul Wiggin, to DE for the Browns.  And Willie Davis.  HOF Willie Davis....but the Browns compounded their mistake by trading Davis to the same Packers Starr played for...and there is where he made his HOF career.

1957 Sonny Jurgenson.  Browns drafted 4 players before Sonny was taken....But...one of those was a guy named Jim Brown. So, not so bad there.  Another was a QB named Milt Plum.  A good QB...made a couple of Pro Bowls...but didn't have the HOF career as did Jurgenson.  The other two players the Browns chose before Sonny were non entities.

1964 Roger Staubach.  The Browns drafted 7 players this year before Staubach was selected by the Cowboys.  Two of these were Hall of Famers Paul Warfield and Leroy Kelley.  The other 5 were non entities.  Recall that Staubach lasted so long in the draft because he had a 5 year Naval committment ahead of him...but the Cowboys were willing to wait.  Perhaps it would have been nice if the Browns had decided to wait as well.

1968. Ken Stabler.  He was #52.   Browns chose two players ahead of when he was chosen.  Marvin Upshaw and John Garlington.  Garlington a serviceable LB...but no Pro Bowls.

1973.  Dan Fouts.  #84 pick.  Browns chose 5 players ahead of him.  The best was Greg Pruitt...who made 5 Pro Bowls.  But none of the other players made a single Pro Bowl.  (But hell!!! we had Mike Phipps!)

1979  Joe Montana #82 pick   He went in round 3 so every team passed him up twice.  Browns however used two picks on Willis Adams and Sam Clampham. Ugh. But we did have Brian Sipe about in the middle of his prime.

Part Two....Post 1980 picks on next post

Dude, with all due respect. Why waste the time?  he 2017 Browns are 0 - 7 and have no QB WRs or TEs worth a good gas pass. Who cares about Unitas?

More important are the guys they passed on just with this new regime compared to the total ineffective junk we have drafted, with a couple nice exceptions. The big issue is, what will we do to make things better going forward?

Next up:  1980 and after:

Note....the Browns were NOT in any position to take any of the HOF QBs that came out in the 80s.   They had NO first round pick at their disposal in the 1983 QB rich draft that gave us Elway, Kelly and Marino.   Steve Young was taken with the #1 pick in the USFL Supplemental draft...and Browns could not grab him.  Troy Aikman was #1 pick in the 1989 draft...ergo, no chance at him.  So we move to the 1990s:

1991.  Brett Favre  #33   Before he was taken the Browns took Eric Turner...a very good pick, and Ed King OG  a bad pick.

After Favre it is all "speculation"...but in a lot of cases it is good speculation. 

1998 Peyton.   Browns were on "hiatus" this year with no chance to take him. 

1999  Donovan McNabb.  #2.   Daunte Culpepper #11 McNabb...borderline HOF candidate. Culpepper, solid QB for years.  Instead we took Couch

2000 Tom Brady.  #199  Certainly well know story.....the potential GOAT....that every team including the Browns...and the team that took him passed on multiple times.

2001  Drew Brees #32.  Browns took Gerard Warren at #3 instead.   Just on pick after they took Quincy Morgan at #33.

2004 Ben Roethlisberger #11.  Browns took Kellen Winslow II at #6 instead.  (Eli and Phillip Rivers off board before Browns could pick)

2005 Aaron Rodgers #24   Browns took Braylon Edwards at #3 instead. (to me...this is THE biggest Shmuckup of the 21st century.  Browns needed a QB...but passed on Rodgers, as did many based on what?)

2011  Andy Dalton #35, Colin Kaepernick #36.   Instead took Phil Taylor at #21. Browns probably better off with either QB.

2012 Ryan Tannehill #8.   Instead took Trent Richardson. Say what you want about Tannehill...he would have been better than TR.  But then here is where things get really funky:

.........Russell Wilson round 3, Kirk Cousins round 4.  Instead, Browns take Brandon Weeden at #22

2014  Derek Carr #36  and  Teddy Twatwater   #32.  Instead we take both Justin Gilbert and Johhny Manziel.  While Bridgewater has been hurt...his prospects going forward are still better than any of the guys we chose.

2015.   Does Trevor Siemian count.  7th round pick?  Better choice than Cam Erving who we took at #19.  We still had Shelton at #12

2016. Carson Wentz.  #2  Dak Prescott  4th round. Browns could have taken Wentz but traded down for Corey Coleman. And every team several times could have had Prescott.

2017   Mitch Trubisky and DeShaun Watson.  I don't think we need to delve further into this...as we shall see.

So, there is the misery you all want to wallow. Go ahead....get filthy.

9 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Dude, with all due respect. Why waste the time?  he 2017 Browns are 0 - 7 and have no QB WRs or TEs worth a good gas pass. Who cares about Unitas?

More important are the guys they passed on just with this new regime compared to the total ineffective junk we have drafted, with a couple nice exceptions. The big issue is, what will we do to make things better going forward?

Why do you waste your time on all the fuhucking cowpoop you waste your time on.  I will waste my time on what I feel like wasting it on. 

Besides....your attitude is exactly what I have been saying.....but Oh so many others on here would not let this issue go.  So, I slammed them in their face with it......and gave the right treatment to it. 

For me the big issue with passing on Wentz (who I wasn't convinced would be able to make the leap from a small school) is that the guys who are paid to evaluate talent said that he's not a top 20 QB in their opinion.   That has been proven to be so incredibly wrong, that seriously someone or someones need to be fired for being so bad at their job.

5 minutes ago, Mark O said:

For me the big issue with passing on Wentz (who I wasn't convinced would be able to make the leap from a small school) is that the guys who are paid to evaluate talent said that he's not a top 20 QB in their opinion.   That has been proven to be so incredibly wrong, that seriously someone or someones need to be fired for being so bad at their job.

Yea, but what about Stabler? :P

16 minutes ago, Mark O said:

That has been proven to be so incredibly wrong, that seriously someone or someones need to be fired for being so bad at their job.

Not that I agree the verdict is in as yet, but a miss that big would likely carry job consequences... for the Scout(s) who made that assessment. It's all part of the process.

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not that I agree the verdict is in as yet, but a miss that big would likely carry job consequences... for the Scout(s) who made that assessment. It's all part of The Process.

FIFY ;)

41 minutes ago, Mark O said:

EXACTLY!!!

Mike

55 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

2001  Drew Brees #32.  Browns took Gerard Warren at #3 instead.   Just on pick after they took Quincy Morgan at #33.

2004 Ben Roethlisberger #11.  Browns took Kellen Winslow II at #6 instead.  (Eli and Phillip Rivers off board before Browns could pick)

2005 Aaron Rodgers #24   Browns took Braylon Edwards at #3 instead. (to me...this is THE biggest Shmuckup of the 21st century.  Browns needed a QB...but passed on Rodgers, as did many based on what?)

2016. Carson Wentz.  #2  Dak Prescott  4th round. Browns could have taken Wentz but traded down for Corey Coleman. And every team several times could have had Prescott.

2017   Mitch Trubisky and DeShaun Watson.  I don't think we need to delve further into this...as we shall see.

So, there is the misery you all want to wallow. Go ahead....get filthy.

I highlighted 2001 for a reason Gip. That draft was a close second in the all-time screwup department.  We whiffed on LaDanian Tomlinson and Richard Seymour for good measure on top of Brees. 

& if the Hoorta had been doing the drafting, we would have had Rothlisberger, Wentz, or probably Trubisky on top of it. I'm still waiting for that phone call to scout QBs for the Browns.... Sure as hell not "It's a sin if we draft Quinn", Geriatric We-done, Johnny Juicer, "Too Slow" Trent Richardson. I have a strong suspicion (hated that pick) Rocket Arm Kizer will join the bust parade. 

We could have even more fun Gip listing the WRs we whiffed on. Willis Adams, Greg Little (production), Mohammed MassiveDrop, and Brian Slowbiski immediately come to mind....  

57 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I highlighted 2001 for a reason Gip. That draft was a close second in the all-time screwup department.  We whiffed on LaDanian Tomlinson and Richard Seymour for good measure on top of Brees. 

& if the Hoorta had been doing the drafting, we would have had Rothlisberger, Wentz, or probably Trubisky on top of it. I'm still waiting for that phone call to scout QBs for the Browns.... Sure as hell not "It's a sin if we draft Quinn", Geriatric We-done, Johnny Juicer, "Too Slow" Trent Richardson. I have a strong suspicion (hated that pick) Rocket Arm Kizer will join the bust parade. 

We could have even more fun Gip listing the WRs we whiffed on. Willis Adams, Greg Little (production), Mohammed MassiveDrop, and Brian Slowbiski immediately come to mind....  

Well, I just limited this thread to the QBs that we "missed" on.   If we were to go through all the other positions, we could be here all week.

And yes, this thread is meant to be somewhat of a joke.....to pull the wings off everyone who is crying, moaning and whining about why the Browns didn't pick so and so and whatshisname and Mr. Blahblahblahblahblah.  There ain't nothing we can do it about it....be it missing on John Unitas or DeShaun Watson.   So, to me, anyone obsessing about that is merely doing this:

Hogan>Wentz/Trubisky

Trust me on this one.

Yes... He does. He threw the ball fine. He admitted that he was letting the DL affect his throwing by running around with their arms up. And the Defense was giving him a look that he had never seen before. He's young, 24 and really still a rookie. Give him a break, once he's playing with some confidence he'll inspire this team to greatness.

I watched the Texans game... I also watched the Ravens and Jets games where he orchestrated the only scoring drives we had. I also remember him getting us to overtime and Hue deciding to go for it... I 'member- do you 'member dat?

Just now, PoeticG said:

Yes... He does. He threw the ball fine. He admitted that he was letting the DL affect his throwing by running around with their arms up. And the Defense was giving him a look that he had never seen before. He's young, 24 and really still a rookie. Give him a break, once he's playing with some confidence he'll inspire this team to greatness.

God.....that big bad defense ran around with their arms up and poor Kevin couldn't handle it so we should give him and his noodle arm another chance to try and throw 5 INT"s in a half this time.   Give it a rest and go back to telling us that Josh Gordon is coming back and how great Trent Richardson is and leave this one alone.  You're embarrassing yourself. 

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

I watched the Texans game... I also watched the Ravens and Jets games where he orchestrated the only scoring drives we had. I also remember him getting us to overtime and Hue deciding to go for it... I 'member- do you 'member dat?

Both losses...so who cares.  No clue what you're talking about for the game he got us to overtime and why that is something we should be blowing him over.   Cody Concussler got us to OT last week...how did that turn out? 

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I don't usually bitch about someone hijacking my threads....but I am here.

Fuhuck off with your Hogan talk.  You want to talk Hogan....start your own Goddamned thread about him. Delete all your stupid posts on this thread about Hogan....and stick to the subject of this thread.   And no...Hogan is NOT part of the subject of this thread. So get your shite off my lawn.

5 hours ago, nickers said:

This image should be shoved right into Dee's Pud pullers and Sushi's face!

The only way possible for Sushi and DePud  to keep their jobs is to draft a genuine, porcupine, bonafide NFL franchise QB in 2018. Book it. And Kizer isn't it either.  

25 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The only way possible for Sushi and DePud  to keep their jobs is to draft a genuine, porcupine, bonafide NFL franchise QB in 2018. Book it. And Kizer isn't it either.  

You think they are going to be around to do that?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

You think they are going to be around to do that?

Odds- 50%.  :)   

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

What a couple of losers. 

Nah get over it, a couple of WINNERS rubbing it in our face. 

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

In total agreement...

1979  Joe Montana #82 pick   He went in round 3 so every team passed him up twice.  Browns however used two picks on Willis Adams and Sam Clampham. Ugh. But we did have Brian Sipe about in the middle of his prime.

Everybody missed out on that skinny legged QB from Notre Dame but that's what the draft is all about.  You don't see as many big misses like there used to be with today's cottage industry in all things sports. It's just that the BROWNS futility except maybe for Sipe and Kosar is just highlighted after a lifetime of big misses.

Archived