THE BROWNS BOARD

1st time in Cleveland

cmalone

I am hoping someone can help me out.  I am a lifelong Browns fan from Iowa.  I've been though the ups and downs and still wear my Metcalf jersey every Sunday.  For my sons birthday in November we booked a trip to Cleveland to watch his basketball team (Calvs) on Friday night and my Browns on Sunday.  I've always wanted to sit in the Dawg Pound and intend to for the game against the Jags.  My question is, my kids are 14 and 12, should my wife and kids sit with me and is it kid friendly in the pound?  Any advice for the Cavs game or anything else we should do while we are there?  We fly in on the 17th landing at 10am and leave Sunday the 19th at 8pm.  Thanks in advance, GO BROWNS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, cmalone said:

I am hoping someone can help me out.  I am a lifelong Browns fan from Iowa.  I've been though the ups and downs and still wear my Metcalf jersey every Sunday.  For my sons birthday in November we booked a trip to Cleveland to watch his basketball team (Calvs) on Friday night and my Browns on Sunday.  I've always wanted to sit in the Dawg Pound and intend to for the game against the Jags.  My question is, my kids are 14 and 12, should my wife and kids sit with me and is it kid friendly in the pound?  Any advice for the Cavs game or anything else we should do while we are there?  We fly in on the 17th landing at 10am and leave Sunday the 19th at 8pm.  Thanks in advance, GO BROWNS

I haven't sat in the 100 level 'Pound for a long time, so can't help you there. The 200 Level was pretty tame a few years ago. Staying downtown or out by the airport? The Great Lakes Science Center and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are right next to the stadium. With the wife & kids you may not want to Tailgate- been to plenty of other cities, and us Clevelanders know how to party before a game- but IMHO it's not too wild for your kids age. Adult beverages are OK, as long as you're 1\2 discreet about it. The big Tailgates are in the Muni Lot, Burke Airport, and "The Pit" off of West 3rd.  If you think that's something you want to do, go to our Tailgate Forum, and contact Top Dawg (Steve) he holds a pretty decent bash over in the Burke lot. 

I'll let some of the other locals comment on good places to eat. If you're like me, visiting another town you don't want to dine at chain places available anywhere. And with the family you're probably not going to want to drop a ton of money eating at places like the Iron Chef's nationally famous Lolas.   

Just now, hoorta said:

I haven't sat in the 100 level 'Pound for a long time, so can't help you there. The 200 Level was pretty tame a few years ago. Staying downtown or out by the airport? The Great Lakes Science Center and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are right next to the stadium. With the wife & kids you may not want to Tailgate- been to plenty of other cities, and us Clevelanders know how to party before a game- but IMHO it's not too wild for your kids age. Adult beverages are OK, as long as you're 1\2 discreet about it. The big Tailgates are in the Muni Lot, Burke Airport, and "The Pit" off of West 3rd.  If you think that's something you want to do, go to our Tailgate Forum, and contact Top Dawg (Steve) he holds a pretty decent bash over in the Burke lot. 

I'll let some of the other locals comment on good places to eat. If you're like me, visiting another town you don't want to dine at chain places available anywhere. And with the family you're probably not going to want to drop a ton of money eating at places like the Iron Chef's nationally famous Lolas.   

Thanks for the info.  We are staying by the airport and plan to uber our way around.  I would be interested in some tailgating and will check the forum out.  If there are other places you feel would be better to sit please advise, we haven't purchased the tickets for the games yet. (or if there is a favorable place to purchase tickets for both events) Thanks again

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Another question, we are currently scheduled to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn by the airport, would be we better off staying down town?

11 minutes ago, cmalone said:

Thanks for the info.  We are staying by the airport and plan to uber our way around.  I would be interested in some tailgating and will check the forum out.  If there are other places you feel would be better to sit please advise, we haven't purchased the tickets for the games yet. (or if there is a favorable place to purchase tickets for both events) Thanks again

FWIW... A number of years ago I flew in for a game and joined these guys for a tail gate.

Some of the most fun I've ever had! Everybody was great, welcoming, hospitable.

Awesome to put faces to the names.

Don't let this galoots fool ya.

They're some of the nicest people you'll meet.

23 minutes ago, cmalone said:

Cavaliers? Check out cavs flash seats.

Browns tickets? LOL, they (us season ticket holders) are darn near giving them away. Stub Hub prices starting at $10 to get in the building for nosebleeds. It's going to depend if you want the Dawg Pound experience, how big your budget is, or great seats. I will tell you this, I'm a season ticket holder Section 111, row 9. I just saw 4 tickets Section 109 Row 18 on Stub Hub (believe me that's El Primo seating) for $100 per + the customary extortionist service fee of around $25. That's probably face value- or less.  :)   

Edit: a word of warning- if you decide to go 100 level, I wouldn't pick anything lower than (my) row 9. The field flattens out to much to give you any perspective. Also the first five rows of the upper deck in between the 20s are nice if you want to be higher up. 

4 minutes ago, cmalone said:

Another question, we are currently scheduled to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn by the airport, would be we better off staying down town?

If you're leaving right after the game, by the airport is probably where I'd stay. There's a Rapid Transit rail line that starts at the airport and can get you downtown for a couple of bucks. 

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

If you're leaving right after the game, by the airport is probably where I'd stay. There's a Rapid Transit rail line that starts at the airport and can get you downtown for a couple of bucks. 

Thanks for the input, knowing there is a transit back and forth helps out a lot. 

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Cavaliers? Check out cavs flash seats.

Browns tickets? LOL, they (us season ticket holders) are darn near giving them away. Stub Hub prices starting at $10 to get in the building for nosebleeds. It's going to depend if you want the Dawg Pound experience, how big your budget is, or great seats. I will tell you this, I'm a season ticket holder Section 111, row 9. I just saw 4 tickets Section 109 Row 18 on Stub Hub (believe me that's El Primo seating) for $100 per + the customary extortionist service fee of around $25. That's probably face value- or less.  :)   

Edit: a word of warning- if you decide to go 100 level, I wouldn't pick anything lower than (my) row 9. The field flattens out to much to give you any perspective. Also the first five rows of the upper deck in between the 20s are nice if you want to be higher up. 

Would you recommend section 508 row 2 or dawg pound section section 122 row 13?

6 minutes ago, cmalone said:

Would you recommend section 508 row 2 or dawg pound section section 122 row 13?

It's just me, but I way prefer sideline to end zone- there's a reason sideline costs more. Row 2 in the 500 level is nice. Especially in 508, you're darn near on the 50. Plus, the 100 level Dawg pound is bench seating, (a carryover from the old stadium)  everything else in the stadium is real seats. 

59 minutes ago, cmalone said:

You are better off downtown if the price of the hotel is right. There are many good ones. You may even be able to Hotwire or Groupon  your way into a really good price. Then you won't have to worry about Uber.  Also, you can take the Rapid Transit direct from the airport to Terminal Tower.  Hell, if you stayed at the Ritz or the Rennaissance, you wouldn't even have to walk outside.  Though, there are less expensive alternatives. And there are plenty of "entertainment opportunities just outside your door...read, bars and restaurants....but also the attractions mentioned before. Warehouse District, W.4th st.  All around the stadiums and arenas.

2 hours ago, cmalone said:

I sent you a personal message with contact info if you'd like to tailgate in a family friendly tailgate.

Definitely want to stay downtown. Little Italy is a cool place to grab dinner, its on the east side, an easy Uber trip from downtown. The museums mentioned by others right by the stadium are cool.

Honestly, I've bought my tickets almost exclusively from guys selling them on E. 9th St. At this point you could probably score tickets cheap.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are better off downtown if the price of the hotel is right. There are many good ones. You may even be able to Hotwire or Groupon  your way into a really good price. Then you won't have to worry about Uber.  Also, you can take the Rapid Transit direct from the airport to Terminal Tower.  Hell, if you stayed at the Ritz or the Rennaissance, you wouldn't even have to walk outside.  Though, there are less expensive alternatives. And there are plenty of "entertainment opportunities just outside your door...read, bars and restaurants....but also the attractions mentioned before. Warehouse District, W.4th st.  All around the stadiums and arenas.

How is the Marriott down town? It's pretty close to the same price as by the airport. Can't wait to see Cleveland an all it has to offer!

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

It's just me, but I way prefer sideline to end zone- there's a reason sideline costs more. Row 2 in the 500 level is nice. Especially in 508, you're darn near on the 50. Plus, the 100 level Dawg pound is bench seating, (a carryover from the old stadium)  everything else in the stadium is real seats. 

Sorry for all the questions, I found some good seats in the upper level I am leaning towards. Is the dawg pound a great experience? I've always wanted to watch a game there and am having a hard time going away from it. I thought about buying 1 in the pound and watching half there and half with my family?

Cmalone Welcome..If your road tripping from Iowa & never experienced the DawgPound you would be missing out imo. I sat in section 120 row 31(dead center goalpost) for years but could get lower as game goes on .Understand your boys are 14 & 12, but their going to hear the fbombs from about any section..DawgPound has limited live action viewing with some of jumbotron looking(straight above you) ..But with the bench sitting, it leaves you/them a little more room to roam with fan reaction. If your seated your viewing maybe easier to access live play but your restricted & if your a stander the seater's may not be..Great Birthday idea-WOOF-And enjoy the game..   

17 hours ago, cmalone said:

I’ve been over twice and you’re definitely better off staying downtown. Everything you’ll need is in walking distance.

As you are mid-late November you may be lucky enough that the Great Lakes Christmas Ale is already on sale at that time, make sure to sample an ice cold bottle of that poured into a glass. It’s a real pleasure!

12 hours ago, cmalone said:

Sorry for all the questions, I found some good seats in the upper level I am leaning towards. Is the dawg pound a great experience? I've always wanted to watch a game there and am having a hard time going away from it. I thought about buying 1 in the pound and watching half there and half with my family?

I wouldn't worry about that you came to the right place for those type of questions -and- welcome to The Browns Board hope to see you again. mjp

14 hours ago, cmalone said:

How is the Marriott down town? It's pretty close to the same price as by the airport. Can't wait to see Cleveland an all it has to offer!

While I have never stayed there, it certainly should be just fine actually.  I have gone through and and it is nice.  And if it is about the same price, I would definitely choose the downtown location for what you want to do.

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I’ve been over twice and you’re definitely better off staying downtown. Everything you’ll need is in walking distance.

As you are mid-late November you may be lucky enough that the Great Lakes Christmas Ale is already on sale at that time, make sure to sample an ice cold bottle of that poured into a glass. It’s a real pleasure!

And if you do stay here, perhaps consider going to see this attraction....which your kids may love:

On 10/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, cmalone said:

Definitely stay downtown and use the rapid as much as you can. The downtown stop is under Terminal Tower on the south side of Public Square.

Downtown there's a party street (I believe E. 4th), but with restaurants as well as bars. An Uber across the bridge over the Cuyahoga River is W 25th St with Great Lakes Brewing's Restaurant. Don't overlook Public Square with the War Memorial.

In addition to the Downtown attractions there's University Circle with a Rapid stop that lands you on the South Side of CWRU campus. Twenty minute walk from the Art Museum with Severance Hall (home of the Cleveland Orchestra) on the walk. Also a few blocks east of the station along Murray Hill Road is CLE's Little Italy. Been a while, but used to be some good eats there...

17 hours ago, cmalone said:

First, I love endzone views with an angle to help depth perception. My one game in Browns stadium was the Buffalo game a few years ago in the age of Wheezy (a/k/a Brandon Weeeeeedone). I sat in the Upper Dog Pound, section 319... maybe 20 rows up. Great view, but really need binocs for action deep towards the far GoalLine. But do know this... you will  not be getting the real "Pound Experience". TBH not sure that experience ever really translated from old Muni... where during college I sat in the pound many times, before it was "The Pound".

Some rowdiness around due to a pack of Bills fans all beered up and looking to do anything except watch the game. That said I sat by some great Bills fans. I can't imagine there will be nearly as many JAX fans road-tripping to CLE for the game.

18 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Cmalone Welcome..If your road tripping from Iowa & never experienced the DawgPound you would be missing out imo. I sat in section 120 row 31(dead center goalpost) for years but could get lower as game goes on .Understand your boys are 14 & 12, but their going to hear the fbombs from about any section..DawgPound has limited live action viewing with some of jumbotron looking(straight above you) ..But with the bench sitting, it leaves you/them a little more room to roam with fan reaction. If your seated your viewing maybe easier to access live play but your restricted & if your a stander the seater's may not be..Great Birthday idea-WOOF-And enjoy the game..   

Regarding low in the Dawg Pound- it depends what you want. First row, you might get lucky and have a player jump up in your lap after a TD. As I alluded to earlier- that low and the field flattens out, no perspective. Plus, once the action moves towards the other side of the field, you're going to be looking at the Jumbotron to see what's going on. Hell, I'm 20 yard line sideline, and I have to use it when the play is on the other side 20. 

& BTW guys- I was sitting in the Dawg Pound and the infamous Red Right 88 happened right in front of me. 

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding low in the Dawg Pound- it depends what you want. First row, you might get lucky and have a player jump up in your lap after a TD. As I alluded to earlier- that low and the field flattens out, no perspective. Plus, once the action moves towards the other side of the field, you're going to be looking at the Jumbotron to see what's going on. Hell, I'm 20 yard line sideline, and I have to use it when the play is on the other side 20. 

& BTW guys- I was sitting in the Dawg Pound and the infamous Red Right 88 happened right in front of me. 

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I chose to go with section 122 row 24. Iowa state installed end zone club seats a couple of years ago with access to beer and mix drinks and we prefer to sit there. Iowa state typically isn't a very good football team so we tend to tailgate and party throughout the game. Being an ISU and Browns fan, my expectations for a win aren't that great so I wanted to try to take in the whole experience and watch the game from the pound.  I'm thinking the price of 4 Browns tickets were less than 1 Calvs ticket, it will be a great trip and we are very much looking forward to it. 

3 minutes ago, cmalone said:

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I chose to go with section 122 row 24. Iowa state installed end zone club seats a couple of years ago with access to beer and mix drinks and we prefer to sit there. Iowa state typically isn't a very good football team so we tend to tailgate and party throughout the game. Being an ISU and Browns fan, my expectations for a win aren't that great so I wanted to try to take in the whole experience and watch the game from the pound.  I'm thinking the price of 4 Browns tickets were less than 1 Calvs ticket, it will be a great trip and we are very much looking forward to it. 

:) Should be fine- they have a nice bar right behind that section. But be warned- beer prices inside the stadium have topped the $10 barrier.  

20 minutes ago, hoorta said:

:) Should be fine- they have a nice bar right behind that section. But be warned- beer prices inside the stadium have topped the $10 barrier.  

Perfect! My wife doesn't drink and my kids are too young so that leaves more for me!

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

First, I love endzone views with an angle to help depth perception. My one game in Browns stadium was the Buffalo game a few years ago in the age of Wheezy (a/k/a Brandon Weeeeeedone). I sat in the Upper Dog Pound, section 319... maybe 20 rows up. Great view,

small world T. 2013 TNF Bills,Hoyer blew knee? started in dawgpound sec.120 ended up 6 rows in corner that Weesy hit Gordon on blinded bomb(in Stride).oh but i was ready to catch it:ph34r:.not a board member at time..dabbit..

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Up freezing my nutz off with Dad in sec.347 row 14..i could not spell internet if we had any?

1 hour ago, cmalone said:

Iowa state typically isn't a very good football team so we tend to tailgate and party throughout the game. Being an ISU and Browns fan,

Enjoy HC Matt Campbell as we did in my hometown Toledo,Oh..as a former player I met Matt many times..As you seen with Oklahoma, Your in good hands with Matt Campbell..

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

small world T. 2013 TNF Bills,Hoyer blew knee? started in dawgpound sec.120 ended up 6 rows in corner that Weesy hit Gordon on blinded bomb(in Stride).oh but i was ready to catch it:ph34r:.not a board member at time..dabbit..

Up freezing my nutz off with Dad in sec.347 row 14..i could not spell internet if we had any?

Enjoy HC Matt Campbell as we did in my hometown Toledo,Oh..as a former player I met Matt many times..As you seen with Oklahoma, Your in good hands with Matt Campbell..

Thanks. Really enjoying Campbell. Not many coaches can take a qb who really hasn't played and beat the #3 team on the road. My wife is a chiefs fan due to kc being a couple hour drive, I've started to follow Hunt this year. I believe Matt recruited him and he's impressive. Hoping to bring that level of talent to Ames. 

Archived