THE BROWNS BOARD

Name your favorite movies

For me, the top movie is Casablanca.....action, sex, suspense....there is nothing to not like about that movie IMO. It's perfect. I could watch that movie weekly.

Taxi Driver...the study of a psycho is always a interesting view if done right, and that was done right.

The Wizard of OZ....I know, I know, but it reminds me of sitting on the couch, eating popcorn and drinking Coke with my Mom, so it's on the list! ;)

One Flew Over the Coo Coos Nest..again...about perfect in every way...humorous yet tragic...hard to put those together.

Summer of 42....every kids dream

The Cowboys...I know a John Wayne movie...there is some solid writing in that movie with several scenes that are funny as hell.

Rear Window...the real one...Hitchcock at his best

I will add more if this gets any action.

Hopefully mine are pretty self explanatory, I'm terrible at explaining why I like movies...

GoodFellas - the best movie of all time

Blade Runner - the best sci fi movie of all time.

Slap Shot - the best sports movie of all time.

The Man With No Name - the best trilogy of all time.

Rouding it out is pretty much anything involving Martin Scorsese, Bill Murray or Al Pacino.

I'll give this a bit more thought but rhese are some solid entries to my ten best.

THE GODFATHER

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

WIZARD OF OZ

CASABLANCA

ROCKY

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST

ANNIE HALL

There are some I love that float in and out of the top ten OR don't stand up to that honor as years go by.

IE films I never sought out to see numerous times or did see often but question top ten of all time status after time.

Still great films.

FIELD OF DREAMS

THE ELEPHANT MAN

ROLLERBALL

Branagh's HAMLET

etc.

And it's hard to add a comedy but some examples of comedies I LOVE...

ANIMAL HOUSE

CADDYSHACK

STRIPES

DEFENDING YOUR LIFE

WSS

• 2 weeks later...
ROCKY

Man Rocky is awesome. The story behind it emulates life.

Sylvester Stallone, was an unbankable unknown at the time - an underdog actor/writer in the film industry (with 32 previously-rejected scripts) similar to the boxing 'bum' in the film. Stallone supposedly wrote the script for the sports comeback film over a three-day period.

What the hell happened to Stallone?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scarface..loved everything about it

Boondock Saints..toilet scene is awesome, great action

Major League...still one of the funniest movies

Tears of the Sun..great action and a lil drama so the women will sit through it with ya

The Last Dragon..Sho'nuff

Great list

I would add Cool Hand Luke ......one of the best ever

The Sting

Butch Cassiday and Sundance Kid

and the latest Titanic

all great flicks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maverick. I loved that.

Great scenery is the best.

Like Cast Away. I loved the whole thing.

The most fun movie I have ever seen, was a very old movie

by Disney, called "Legend of the Scarecrow" or something like that.

It was about the leader of Americans in the War of Independence.

He dressed as a scarecrow, as he rode his white horse through

the countryside, Zorro-like.

And, "The Scarlet Pimpernel" is also one of my favorite all time movies.

But just once, I wish they would show the Scarecrow movie again.

Does anybody ever remember seeing it? It just has to be out there, somewhere...

My greatest fear is open water and still get chills watching this move K

Well, I was always an excellent swimmer.

When we were in Hawaii, back in the early years, I let my Wife and friends rest on the beach, and

I swam back out, and saw a giant sea turtle. So, I followed it, it was huge, awesome.

After a little while of watching it about 25' below me in crystal clear water, and taking

in all the beautiful plant life etc....

the bottom of the ocean disppeared into nothing. Empty blue-green space.

So, being very intelligent :rolleyes: , I stopped, the sea turtle went straight down into the nothing,

and I straightened up, looked around and saw no land. Well, it was behind me when I spun around.

But, the little tiny dots way back on shore seemed to be waving their hands...

and I started my swim back. It was only then I noticed the current, and thought of...

the movie Jaws.

So, I did get back, the Greek God surfer/lifeguards quietly said that I had to be some kind of swimmer

to swim directly back, for being from Ohio.

More quietly, they said "but, with all due respect, that was a very stupid thing to do, if you had run into

problems, we couldn't have gotten to you in time. Please don't ever do that again."

And then, my Wife ran up and hugged me, and started fussing at me about being such an idiot when

I try to show off for her.

So, I should have been a good bit more afraid...

And, I got badly sunburned, and I still had her help me put on my shirt, and went on our tourist explorations, the next couple of days.

The third day later, I actually was in no pain after she put a lot of aloe with lidocaine on my back.

It isn't the first time in those early years, that I have regretted showing off for my Wife.

Last year, she was telling our neighbors about this (Hawaii came up), and about another time I was

joking around, about being Tarzan, and picked up this big huge rock in our new front yard with no lawn yet. The neighbors

actually remembered.

Okay, so I got injured when I slipped into the ditch with it. But that's a story best left alone.

Anyways, I learned I didn't have to show off for her anymore. It only took me a year and a half...

I'll go favorite by genre:

1) Comedy - Revenge of the Nerds or Caddyshack

2) Sports - Hoosiers or Major League

3) Drama - The Shawshank Redemption (best 25-minute ending in movie history)

4) Horror - The Exorcist or Jaws

5) Mob Movie - The Godfather Part I/II or GoodFellas

6) Chick Flick - Notting Hill

7) Foreign - Pan's Labyrinth

8) War - Band of Brothers (miniseries) or Saving Private Ryan

9) Oldie but a Goodie - It's A Wonderful Life

10) Western - High Plains Drifter (Eastwood is one bada** m'fer in this one)

11) Spy - Goldfinger

12) Science Fiction - Star Wars 4,5, & 6

13) Adventure - Raiders of the Lost Ark

14) Documentary - Hoop Dreams

I'll give this a bit more thought but rhese are some solid entries to my ten best.

THE GODFATHER

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

WIZARD OF OZ

CASABLANCA

ROCKY

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST

ANNIE HALL

There are some I love that float in and out of the top ten OR don't stand up to that honor as years go by.

IE films I never sought out to see numerous times or did see often but question top ten of all time status after time.

Still great films.

FIELD OF DREAMS

THE ELEPHANT MAN

ROLLERBALL

Branagh's HAMLET

etc.

And it's hard to add a comedy but some examples of comedies I LOVE...

ANIMAL HOUSE

CADDYSHACK

STRIPES

DEFENDING YOUR LIFE

WSS

Love ya Steve, different strokes for different folks. I've probably seen 1\50th of the movies you have. I'm a Si-Fi action adventure guy. Yeah, I get Casablanca & Wizard of Oz, really liked Clockwork Orange & The Godfather. But I'd put Annie Hall (one of the few movies I've ever walked out on) and Last Picture Show in my 10 WORST. Other Oscar nominees of dishonorable mention- The Piano and Howard's End- add in Pulp Fiction and Fight Club to the list. No Comprendo.

In your second tier liked Elephant man, But I'll take Dances With Wolves over Field of Dreams (that I haven't survived in it's entirety yet)- but I've tried to- I just think the whole premise is stupid.

OK, I'm biased- I'm a Tolkien fan so the Lord of the Rings trilogy has to be #1 in my book. Other DVDs that I actually spent money on I would put in consideration are Gladiator and Braveheart. Saving Private Ryan is up there on my list- Tom Hanks got screwed out of another Best Actor award on that one IMHO. Scarface got mentioned- ditto.

[[Now there's plenty of stuff I wouldn't put in "Best Picture" category that I really liked- the Matrix Trilogy, Independence Day, Star Wars, 2001- Kill Bill I&II I could go on- but you get the general picture]]

I have a soft spot for westerns- guess my great-grandmother who couldn't speak (or understand) a word of English and would watch the Lone Ranger & Roy Rodgers all day filtered down to me- give me Silverado and Unforgiven there.

Bad PC incorrect humor- Blazing Saddles.

- give me Silverado and Unforgiven there.

I love Silverado. You're the only other person I know who's ever mentioned it as a favorite. It's definitely on my list.

I love Silverado. You're the only other person I know who's ever mentioned it as a favorite. It's definitely on my list.

:) Great acting, great plot. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. I doubt the star (and about to become stars) power in one flick will ever be repeated. Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, John Cleese, Kevin Costner, Brian Dennehy, Danny Glover, and Jeff Goldblum.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived