THE BROWNS BOARD

Memorial Day movies

On a lighter note (sort of) what does everyone think the best war movie is for Memorial Day?

I'm going to go with something that isn't a movie, but it's worth watching in its entirety, and that's the Band of Brothers series from HBO. They often run it on the History Channel this time of year as well. I'm sure a lot of you have already seen it, but if you haven't, do yourself a favor. It's really great. The fact that the actors are playing actual people and are recreating the actual events makes it even better.

I'd rather watch the mental videos of old military guys telling me about the friends and guys they

knew, who never made it back.

Maybe some documentaries about the really older vets who lived through Pearl Harbor/WWII, etc.

Maybe post some pics of European cemetaries where thousands and thousands

of American GI's died to save the world.

And Obama thinks they were arrogant?

Liked John Adams too.

I think Kubrick's best war movie is Paths of Glory, not Full Metal Jacket.

I'd say Platoon, for all its faults, is a better Vietnam movie. Apocalyspe Now is great, but I'm not sure I'd say it's about the Vietnam War so much.

And although it's not a typical war movie, the HBO movie "Conspiracy" about the high-level Nazi meeting that decided the fate of 6 million Jews is one of the better films of that decade. Like 12 Angry Men with Nazis. Chilling stuff.

On a lighter note (sort of) what does everyone think the best war movie is for Memorial Day?

I'm going to go with something that isn't a movie, but it's worth watching in its entirety, and that's the Band of Brothers series from HBO. They often run it on the History Channel this time of year as well. I'm sure a lot of you have already seen it, but if you haven't, do yourself a favor. It's really great. The fact that the actors are playing actual people and are recreating the actual events makes it even better.

One of my favorite all-time movies/series. Have the box set and there are some awesome commentaries, and its really cool the way the actors take on the characters (and how you don't find out which "old guy" is which "soldier" until the very end - but they've been talking about each upcoming story throughout). There are annual Band of Brother reunions and actors and soldiers pretty much all attend.

Countless websites with photos of these things, but here's one.

One of my favorite all-time movies/series.

Alright fellas, I'm sold. BOB has been in my Blockbuster queue, sitting in the 30s, for two years now. Time to move it on up...

Guest Aloysius
Here's a preview for

The worst Nazis always have English accents. And the most dangerous ones are already dead.

I'm still shocked someone actually made this thing.

BoB is absolutely fantastic in every way. Sad, funny, inspiring, terrifying. Excellent actors, great production values, obvious care for the subject and especially the men it honors. Just the best ever.

mz the pussy, just go buy it. It's under $50 at Target and elsewhere now. Art this good deserves to be purchased if only to support the artistry.

The "Bastogne" episode is second only to Schindler's List for me in terms of pure gut-wrenching emotion. It's just so incredibly PAINFUL and TERRIFYING; it's as close to being in an artillery barrage as I'd ever like to get.

But it's the claustrophobia of that episode that gets me. The feeling of sheer HELPLESSNESS and despair.

Man. So good.

My daughter has told me on many occasions that the show jericho was a great TV series, I finally went out and bought the first season, Okay I am hooked, i really dont know why they pulled it, it only ran for 2 seasons.

The new mayor in the show is a buffon who was voted in by popular demand, nothing but idiotic moves came afterwards. kind of like what we are faced with now.

But if you want to save some money here is a website that has the episodes for free. Jericho

This show will really make you think what if? Living along the coast and after having to endure hurricanes and loss of basic services for weeks, you really respect this movie and can see how you always need to be prepared during hurricane season. let alone what if?

Archived