Sign in to follow this  
Zombo

Hogan Named Starter

Damn, my boy. 

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

wasn't Jared Goff the first guy taken and doesn't he fall short?

He's doing pretty well this year.  And as for Wentz, he's doing well also.  I've made it no secret that I wanted Wentz.  He wasn't from a top school but he had all of the qualities that you want from a QB.   I understand that the last two drafts were not seen as GREAT QB drafts...but again, teams so something in the QB's (including Trubisky) that made them jump up the draft board to grab them.   

As January rolls around we'll see if THIS year's crop is still rated as a high draft selection bunch or not.

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

He's doing pretty well this year.  And as for Wentz, he's doing well also.  I've made it no secret that I wanted Wentz.  He wasn't from a top school but he had all of the qualities that you want from a QB.   I understand that the last two drafts were not seen as GREAT QB drafts...but again, teams so something in the QB's (including Trubisky) that made them jump up the draft board to grab them.   

As January rolls around we'll see if THIS year's crop is still rated as a high draft selection bunch or not.

Yes I liked Wentz better than Goff.

Still I'm concerned the fo will want to go with the budget quarterback like we did with DeShone Kizer. And again I haven't closed the book on him but if we can get a top prospect...

Ps are you Joe?

WSS

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I haven't closed the book on him but if we can get a top prospect...

Yup, can't close the book on a 21 yr old with 4 1/2 games under his belt....but we'll see how the season plays out.  (budget QB... :)  that's a good one)

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yes I liked Wentz better than Goff.

I was a Goff guy, liked the fact that he played against better competition, had about 2.5 times the pass attempts in college than Wentz, and that I actually was able to watch him play a few times didn't hurt. :lol: My preference looked downright stupid last season, I'm glad Goff has come around to make it a fair fight.

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yup, can't close the book on a 21 yr old with 4 1/2 games under his belt....but we'll see how the season plays out.  (budget QB... :)  that's a good one)

But he wasn't the first second or third quarterback taken in a weak draft, so if they get a chance to do better closing the book on him would be a less bitter pill then closing the book on Jared Goff or Carson Wentz if they floundered.

WSS

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Orion said:

Image result for linus in the pumpkin patch

Lmao... was the first "holiday" I thought of when I posted about wanting to spend the holiday's at Po's house...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Lmao... was the first "holiday" I thought of when I posted about wanting to spend the holiday's at Po's house...

God bless ya!  I'm lucky I didn't have any beverage in my mouth. 

That said, I love Po's arguments for Hogan. He'd done great. When you get right down to it - over the last 10-12 years, it hasn't been the QBs we've drafted that have turned out to be our most efficient passers or QBs that win most frequently here. Here's some examples:

1) Charlie Frye (1st pick of rd 3) was supposed to tutor Brady Quinn (1st rd pick in 2007) - Frye started us off 0-1 with a blowout loss to Pittsburgh.  So?  Here comes Derek Anderson for a 10-5 record with 29 TD passes. Even though that Cinderella story had an early midnight - 10-5 football is a lot more fun than looking like an Arena Football Team with an NFL schedule.  DA did more for this team than both those draft picks combined (even if most of that was in 1 year).

2) Then came Brandon Weeden in round 1 to be easily outplayed by journeyman Brian Hoyer prior to injury.  

3) Not to worry though, we drafted Johnny Manziel in round 1 (2014).  But, back then it was popular to say we were supposed to let a 21 year old 1st round QB (with only 2 seasons of college football) sit, watch and learn from the sidelines. Well, Brian Hoyer got us off to a 7-4 start.  Even though we lost our last 5 games in the beginning of our 3-18 regression - Hoyer didn't start all of our last 5 games in 2014.

4) Aside from far more efficient numbers reflecting more YAC than YUCK, all Kevin Hogan has to do is top a winning percentage of 0.  And, hopefully he doesn't keep us topping the league with turnovers from the QB position by a country mile.  Yes, I understand Hogan's arm is only as strong as Andy Dalton's. The last time Hue coached Dalton, Cincy was 12-4.  Have they even looked close to that level since he left?  They were 6-9-1 last year...  FWIW, our absent minded OC/HC looks less absent minded when he's working with the Andy Dalton equivalent arm strength this year...  There's far less panic and despair in his play calling when he has the right QB on the field at least heading into to today...  All of a sudden we have receivers open and catching 16 of Hogan's 19 throws. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I haven't been in it, but I've drove by it a few times. The last time I drove past YSU's stadium was when I was coming back from getting ribs at the Royal Oaks and a B-24 was flying overhead as I drove by the stadium. Pretty awesome!

Not to go too OT but it is football related....    I remember a few years back when the 49ers were going to the East Coast for multiple games they practiced at the YSU WATTS  indoor practice facility and stayed and ate locally rather than jet back to SF, won both games and we're impressed.....plus the local ownership ties had a hand in it.

And ribs at the Oaks, I haven't been there in a long time used to be a dive hangout during college and for sure haven't been there  since the BAR RESCUE  episode but did see it on TV. Some great eating places around Y-town, a lot going on now........

ALSO http://wkbn.com/2017/10/13/popular-social-media-sports-blog-coming-to-youngstown-state/

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Saturday is a big game for YSU — the ‘Guins take on North Dakota State. To help amp people up for the game, Barstool Sports — a sports and pop culture media company with a huge social media presence — is coming to town.

Barstool is popular with the college demographic and social media has been excited about its visit all week.

Behind MVR in Youngstown, the Barstool Tailgate Show Bus is sitting in anticipation for the pre-game activities on Saturday.

“They go across the country to the biggest game of the week, which is awesome that they picked us because that shows how big this game is in general,” Justin Summers said.

Barstool’s El Presidente Dave Portnoy posted a poll on Twitter last week, asking fans to vote if the show should come to YSU or Minnesota. YSU got 36,000 votes but 37,000 people voted for Minnesota.

Still, they decided to come to Youngstown.

“That’s awesome in general because Minneapolis has 5.6 million people and there’s only 56,000 people in Youngstown. So the fact that they got 36,000 votes is amazing and I think Barstool saw that and that’s why they wanted to come here,” Summers said.

A few months ago, Barstool came to a bocce tournament at MVR so when it was looking for a spot to hold Saturday’s tailgate, it turned back to the Casseeses......CONTINUED IN LINK.......

• Like 2

Oh they did a review of Wedgewood Pizza in Austintown  (we go to Boardman right up the street) still our favorite carryout but there's plenty in this area!

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/barstool-pizza-review-wedgewood-pizza-youngstown-oh/

Football and pizza, finished mine yesterday,  ummmm.