THE BROWNS BOARD

Hogan Named Starter

Zombo

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I heard about Hogan being named the starter this week, and instantly I thought of PoG and a certain episode of South Park... :lol:

Well PoG, you got your wish!

stan dad.jpg

Sir, you're a sick individual. lol

I just want to win. I believe Kevin Hogan can do that. Watch the kid play, he has heart.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's better than Kirk Cousins, he's Kevin Hogan.

We are 3 games out of first, it's your time Hogan, it's your turn to shine. The most legendary stories are born of the most insurmountable odds. If anyone can, Hogan can. No pressure. 

6 hours ago, lodilobo said:

I'm not 100% certain that Kizer was handpicked by Hue, which is the popular belief. Kizer may have been Sashi, the village idiot's pick. I hope Kizer comes around, but there have been plenty of other qb's with a strong arm and slow release that have failed here...Brandon Weeden, to name one. Hogan is the right choice to have any chance of winning a game. That is not to say that he is the franchise qb....but, why not?

I have wondered about this awhile now. Perhaps Kizer has drafted and forced to start by Sashi. They'd want to know what they have to plan next years draft. Perhaps they have seen enough?

Well, good luck to your boy Poetic!

I did not think that he was going to be on the team beyond August........until the Ostrich was released.  And even then I thought they'd bring in another QB.  I didn't think there was any hope for him......except the back of my mind kept telling me, "Ya know, he is the Stanford QB leader in total offensive yards"....and the back of my mind is smarter than I am.

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Hogan is Steve Young. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well PoG, you got your wish!

stan dad.jpg

Dear Hue Jackson,:o

I just want to win. I believe Kevin Hogan can do that. Watch the kid play, he has heart.

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

He's better than Kirk Cousins, he's Kevin Hogan.(damn it) 

Poe'dawg G, you our friend are a amazing passionate browns fan still after all these years..Don't change a thing..Researched some Derek Carr numbers as a gift.Carr came to Clev. his rookie season in 14 & lost 13-23, his stats 34-51=328 w/1TD..In 15 at Clev. Oak.won 27-20 with his stats 20-32=314 2 TD..Also Carr in 2014 &16 faced Houston in Oakland twice. In 14 Carr lost 14-30. Carr's numbers 27-42=263 1TD w/2 picks. In 2016 Carr won 27-20. Carr stats 21-31=295 3 TD 1 pick...What are The Poe G expectation stat line numbers in Houston for the Hulkster Hogan 1st career start? Whats the Coach Poe winning game plan?    

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Poe'dawg G, you our friend are a amazing passionate browns fan still after all these years..Don't change a thing..Researched some Derek Carr numbers as a gift.Carr came to Clev. his rookie season in 14 & lost 13-23, his stats 34-51=328 w/1TD..In 15 at Clev. Oak.won 27-20 with his stats 20-32=314 2 TD..Also Carr in 2014 &16 faced Houston in Oakland twice. In 14 Carr lost 14-30. Carr's numbers 27-42=263 1TD w/2 picks. In 2016 Carr won 27-20. Carr stats 21-31=295 3 TD 1 pick...What are The Poe G expectation stat line numbers in Houston for the Hulkster Hogan 1st career start? Whats the Coach Poe winning game plan?    

The only stat line that matters is the W/L column. A Quarterback has to do whatever it takes to win the game. I think Hogan is that type of QB. If he has to throw it a bunch, he will. 

There are so many variables to what stats he puts up. But, I can tell you that he won't give up until the clock hits triple zeros and we are victorious! 

I know we want to get our running game going. Keeping drives alive and converting on third downs will allow Crow, Duke and Dayes to put up more rushing yards than they have all year.

We have to take what the Defense gives us and make the plays that are there when they come.

We will work the running game and run some options with Hogan, maybe some WildDawg, confuse the Defense a little and when they sell out to stop the run we'll flip it out to Njoku or hit Duke on a screen. I think that the WR's will see more opportunities for catch and runs. We just have to remember that Hogan is just 24 and still young... he is going to make a mistake here or there, that's part of the process. This is his first chance at being in with the starters. When it's all said and done though, he'll give us a shot at winning the game. 

I believe Hogan's preparation will allow him to have a successful first game. I can't help but think how far along we would be if Hogan had gotten the starter reps all through camp and preseason... better late than never I always say. Now's the time. Hogan could cause this F.O. and Coaching Staff to skip burning a first round pick on another QB and that would essentially make Hogan a first round QB, sortof... We could then spend that on another area and get even better.

I don't know, it could be the first time we'll actually get a chance to see Hue Jackson's Playbook.

We have to play smart, limit the penalties and keep the turnovers to a minimum. Ball security and taking the points when they are there will be paramount to getting our first win. 

If I had to guess I'd say Hogan could put up about 100 yards and a TD per quarter. 

So around 360 yards passing and 3 TDs another 45 to 50 yards rushing, maybe a rush TD... It all depends on the success of the running game, if that is flowing then Hogan could throw less but more effectively. We want to avoid passing the ball more that 35-40 times unless the majority of those are screens and quick outs essentially extended runs or sweeps. If we strike the perfect balance of running and passing it could be an offensive explosion. These guys are hungry for a win and if the Defense plays tough, bully football and gets the offense many opportunities, they may have to come up with a mercy rule. Watson better watch out, he's a rookie and Williams is coming to kill him. 

In the end the only thing Hogan cares about is winning the game. 

If Hogan wins this game then he would be 1-0 as a starter... have we had that, ever?

6 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Kizer is dead last in total QBR.

The first red flag I had regarding this FO, was when they said Carson Wentz wasn’t a top 20 QB (he’s sitting at #3).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Of course the #1 is watson.... Cuz it's the Browns.  Another stellar trade down. 

We had each of the  current  top 3 available.... But of course not

happens every year around the same time because the brown's FO didn't do the right thing and go all in on a franchise QB with their first pick (which left a lot of players at the last decade of draft breathing a lot easier as if all of a sudden they didn't have Emphysema anymore). it was the south carolina state fans calling for some bum to come in and replace hoyer. whitehurst was called td jesus. anderson or quinn. kessler might be 'the one'. GTFO. do you see the QBs we've passed on recently and traded down to get another 6th round pick? PFFFFFT.

jesus h. christ on a crutch can you get us our franchise already.....???....cuz you've just made the QB whisperer look like the QB whimperer.

Not to mention we got the worse kicker in the NFL. THE WORSE, and we wasted a draft pick on him.......THE WORSE, He is AWFUL, Cut him, Fire Hue get us a QB and don't forget WR.......................................Maybe we are ok at the TE position and a couple players on D are ok, other than that we will have to fight tooth and nail for any win (If any) that this team mite get. Watching that Packers/Cowboys game last week and watching Aaron take the Pack right down the field (75 yards) in less than 40 seconds and not a single timeout like it was nothing. We could never do that or ever have done that. They have winners, all star wide outs, a great oline a great QB and the Cowboys D is not that bad at all, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I WANT US TO WIN and stop being the joke of the NFL.

38 minutes ago, medicineman said:

Not to mention we got the worse kicker in the NFL. THE WORSE, and we wasted a draft pick on him.......THE WORSE, He is AWFUL, Cut him, Fire Hue get us a QB and don't forget WR.......................................Maybe we are ok at the TE position and a couple players on D are ok, other than that we will have to fight tooth and nail for any win (If any) that this team mite get. Watching that Packers/Cowboys game last week and watching Aaron take the Pack right down the field (75 yards) in less than 40 seconds and not a single timeout like it was nothing. We could never do that or ever have done that. They have winners, all star wide outs, a great oline a great QB and the Cowboys D is not that bad at all, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I WANT US TO WIN and stop being the joke of the NFL.

Smells like the analytics idiots to me.

WSS

We all know what they say about hindsight, but it appears we started Hogan a game too late.  It's tough to imagine Hogan not scoring any points in the first half, considering how effectively he moved the ball in the second half.  Hogan's grand prize for winning the starting gig is playing at Houston, and that doesn't sound too fun to me.  Even without Watt, Houston is a tough, physical defense, and those are exactly the kind that give us so much trouble, and have for years.  Making matters even worse, Houston has a legitimate #1 WR, and again, we all know what THEY do to us as well.  Oh, and Jamar Taylor didn't practice yesterday, and his status for Sunday is up in the air.  

I'm not saying Hogan is guaranteed to struggle, but I will say the odds are against him continuing his rather amazing numbers.  Teams now have some film on the guy, and they will spend the week preparing for him.  Kenny Britt will be back, and many on this board will say that's probably a BAD thing, but I would disagree.  This might not matter, but to my eyes, Hogan throws a very "catch-able" ball, and more often than not, the ball is thrown to a good spot where the receiver doesn't have to adjust all that much.  Additionally, Hogan doesn't throw it a million miles per hour, and while I wouldn't call his arm "strong", the ball still seems to get there fast enough without making life difficult on his receivers.  For example, Njoku basically has two amazing catches for TD's, both from Hogan (Yes I know Njoku caught a TD from Kizer, but that was from the 2 yard line and a different scenario).  There's no way to know this, but I seriously doubt Njoku makes those amazing receptions if Kizer is throwing the ball.  Hogan hasn't played anywhere NEAR as much as Kizer, but in his short time, how many drops have there been?

If our defense comes to play again, we can keep the score close and MAYBE win this game, but I'm certainly not predicting it.  I made my one and only prediction last week, and I should've been right.  Virtually everything I thought was going to happen...HAPPENED.  Everything except for our FG kicker missing everything, and our rookie QB tinkling down his leg EVERY SINGLE TIME we were about to score.  This week, I'm predicting a ten point loss.  27-17, Texans.  We lose to yet another QB we should've drafted, and you won't STOP hearing about how we didn't draft Watson, and how we'll regret it, and blah blah blah.  I want to be wrong, I really do.  

On 10/11/2017 at 8:56 AM, Westside Steve said:

I've heard some of the naysayers around here exclaiming that Hogan isn't going to be the future of this team!

We "Never Hogan" guys are the naysayers? lmao...

On 10/11/2017 at 12:45 PM, stillmotion said:

Kizer definitely wasn't ready to start. No shame in him sitting. He doesn't have to get his butt kicked every game to eventually evolve into a great qb.

Kizer was ready to the extent of getting in and out of the huddle, command of the Offense, working under Center, etc. All the basic hurdles common to the QB Class of '17. The rest is really OJT stuff.

What I will say is Hue did not help him the way every other rookie we've seen has been helped by their OCs... ditto for the '16 starters, Wentz in particular who is still playing with training wheels on...

On 10/11/2017 at 2:29 PM, D Bone said:

I'm hoping next year Cousins is the Browns starter, and then we use that 1-3 pick on an offensive play maker...... Like maybe Saquon Barkley. 

Don't hold you breath... Cousins is going to have his choice of shatshows... and he ain't picking ours.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:02 PM, policeman said:

Hogan will be the next Brian Sipe, book it.

Do you really think he will be that good?

Man... there is going to be some serious reality checking Sunday afternoon...

On 10/11/2017 at 4:48 PM, Orion said:

I wonder if any of this has to do with The Matchup. The QB that they GAVE to Houston against the QB that they picked.

As in avoiding that matchup??? Not a factor...

I think it's part nod to the fans... and part saving Kizer from a very rough stretch. One that I will admit Hogan is at present better equipped to compete in...

Texans --- Titans --- Vikes (in London)... Bye Week... Lions --- Jags... that's the max I can see Hogan going.

• Texans are bent, but not broken on D... and have found an Offense.
  • Titans' D is seriously underperforming so far, but O is getting MM back.
  • Vikes'... strong D, weak O... and London does weird things to teams
  • Lions... prolly the most balanced team in the stretch.
  • Jags... prolly the most unbalanced team in the stretch... and yet they are winning. They are the team many of us thought we'd be.

Leaves six games to complete the Kizer evaluation... and stop wasting time on Hogan...

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Leaves six games to complete the Kizer evaluation... and stop wasting time on Hogan...

Let's hold off on the 'wasting time' thought until we've seen the guy in action.  (My God, I'm sounding like Poetic.  What's happened to me??!)

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Man... there is going to be some serious reality checking Sunday afternoon...

As in avoiding that matchup??? Not a factor...

I think it's part nod to the fans... and part saving Kizer from a very rough stretch. One that I will admit Hogan is at present better equipped to compete in...

Texans --- Titans --- Vikes (in London)... Bye Week... Lions --- Jags... that's the max I can see Hogan going.

• Texans are bent, but not broken on D... and have found an Offense.
  • Titans' D is seriously underperforming so far, but O is getting MM back.
  • Vikes'... strong D, weak O... and London does weird things to teams
  • Lions... prolly the most balanced team in the stretch.
  • Jags... prolly the most unbalanced team in the stretch... and yet they are winning. They are the team many of us thought we'd be.

What happens if we go 3-2 in those? Hell even 2-3

You are not going to be seeing the 0-5 Browns team this weekend. You are going to see that 4-0 Preseason team that was looking outstanding. Hogan changes this team, the QB is the Trigger Man. He's a PG (point guard) on the Gridiron. We seen Kizer go 0-5 and Hogan kept it close a couple games. He also saved us from getting skunked. What happens is Hogan goes 3-0 going into the BYE week? What happens then? Better yet, what happens when Hollywood Hogan goes 5-0 over that stretch, will you still be clamoring for Kizer? 

What I like about Hogan is his perseverance. He's done it the right way. NOTHING has been given to him, he's worked his way up from Practice Squad to Face of the Franchise. There would not be a better story in all of Pro Football if Hogan is who I think he is. 

52 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

What I like about Hogan is his perseverance. He's done it the right way. NOTHING has been given to him, he's worked his way up from Practice Squad to Face of the Franchise. There would not be a better story in all of Pro Football if Hogan is who I think he is. 

Laying it on nice and thick, aren't we?

You want me to lie and say, "I don't think that Hogan's going to light the world on fire". 

I think that he's going to make some mistakes but he's going to blossom in front of our eyes. Hope is a beautiful thing! I have hope.

Hue Jackson said, "Kevin Hogan just keeps getting better and better". That implies to me that he hasn't even come close to his ceiling yet. Who made a rule that there HAS TO BE a ceiling at all? What if he doesn't have one? 

Let's rally to him and show him that Dawgpound love. Believeland.

Here is an analytic breakdown for Hogan. It's an interesting take.

His jump from Highschool to College was huge.

His college production says he could have a projected rating much higher than an NFL ProBowl QB but his HS stats show him not even registering for a job as a starting NFL QB. This video says it all though- that there really hasn't ever been a QB like Kevin Hogan in the NFL.

He's the great anomaly. 

Archived