THE BROWNS BOARD

Short documentary on Josh Gordon

LondonBrown

I figure maybe once and for all, Gordon should get one more chance. He's lost years, millions of bucks, and it's all

his fault. His Baylor coach was scum. But Gordon didn't have any kind of principles/honor about himself. Seems like

only now Gordon realizes what could have been. Seems that it's surprising he didn't use anything as excuses, but just

as facts of his life, and his being al loser was still his fault. Goodhell will probably re-instate him right after the Browns

cut him, and arrange for him to play for the steelers or patriots.

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I figure maybe once and for all, Gordon should get one more chance. He's lost years, millions of bucks, and it's all

his fault. His Baylor coach was scum. But Gordon didn't have any kind of principles/honor about himself. Seems like

only now Gordon realizes what could have been. Seems that it's surprising he didn't use anything as excuses, but just

as facts of his life, and his being al loser was still his fault. Goodhell will probably re-instate him right after the Browns

The Browns still own his rookie contract which still has 2 years remaining...

Addiction rarely leaves room for principles and honor. I say that from experience. I've experienced addiction personally with my own addictions (clean 27 years) , those of many friends and with my first long term live in girlfriend (when I was already sober).  Gordon has sounded serious about this in the past but wasn't. They say sometimes you can tell when an active addict is lying by watching for their mouth to move :)

I heard a different Josh in this clip, a guy who seemed to own up to the long term addiction and personal responsibility. I wish him the best for sure.

as facts of his life, and his being a loser was still his fault. Goodhell will probably re-instate him right after the Browns

I think Gordon finally came to the realization this is absolutely his last chance to play in the NFL. That he did piss away millions of dollars on drugs and having a good time. One more screw up and he can look up Justin Blackmon and smoke weed with him until he dies. Looks like he's broke too. (though it wouldn't surprise me if LeBron is helping him out- $100K is chump change to James) That could be a motivating factor. I hope Goodell will reinstate him without imposing any further penalties, he's been punished plenty enough already. It will take him weeks to get into playing shape and learn the playbook regardless, and that's already over 1\2 the season. 

At least he's still alive and has one final chance to fly right, unlike the laundry list of famous people who ODed. Which shows addiction doesn't care how smart, famous, or rich you are. 

Man give the kid another chance at least. Its not like he murdered or raped someone. He had/has an addiction problem like millions of other people. If he can still play great.

If he lost it cut him. At least give him another shot.

Am I wishing him well?...Yes.

Am I counting on him playing for the Browns?...No.

WILL he play again for the Browns?....We'll see.

Good luck JG.

Mike

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I thought he's only got 6 games left on his contract?   

IDK, if he doesn't get reinstated, it's possible his contract rolls over again. (doesn't count as an accrued year) At worst he's a RFA in 2018. 

Man I just don't know where to go with this video. For starters, it Certainly does contain a lot of Green shrubbery..The End..the rest only Josh can answer his personal family issues by getting them to the finish line or not.(the cleaner the better)... before seeing any field..Good Luck Gordo!!

Hogan to Gordon has a ring to it. 

Flashamaniacs? LOL- I don't know. 

Gordon reinstated. Hogan starting. Getting Coleman back healthy. After the BYE week we could have a completely different team...

... and what if it was good? :o

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Man I just don't know where to go with this video. For starters, it Certainly does contain a lot of Green shrubbery..The End..the rest only Josh can answer his personal family issues by getting them to the finish line or not.(the cleaner the better)... before seeing any field..Good Luck Gordo!!

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Hogan to Gordon has a ring to it. 

Flashamaniacs? LOL- I don't know. 

Gordon reinstated. Hogan starting. Getting Coleman back healthy. After the BYE week we could have a completely different team...

... and what if it was good? :o

PO, look at the above. It's a sign of some maturity. Get your family issues straightened out- then apply for reinstatement. Listening to the video- Goodell has in all likelihood already told Gordon exactly what he needs to do to get the green light to restart his NFL career. If it was all about $$$$, Josh would have been knocking on Goodell's door the second he got out of rehab.  That video makes it plain as mud  where Gordon's head was at. "I've been a Party Animal all my life, just led the NFL in receiving yards, and you got a problem with that?" OMG, if he hadn't been playing in a fog- he could have busted Calvin Johnson's  record for yards in a season. 

BTW, with the current sorry state of the Browns WR group- the FO & Hue would be idiots to not welcome Josh back with open arms. Low risk, astronomical potential reward. 

I'll try to watch this today if I can.  I've made my stance on this issue known, and he's paying a very heavy price for relatively minor infractions (in the scheme of life).  What really hurts is just what he could mean to this team.  Hogan was 16-19 for 194 yards in ONE HALF of football.  Imagine what happens if we actually had a legit NFL WR on the field, and one as talented as Gordon.  

This topic NEEDS to be bumped. If you are a person with one ounce of compassion, you need to watch this show. If you have a family member who struggles with drugs or alcohol, or you yourself struggled with them...watch this. 

What people need to understand is, nobody wakes up one day and says, "I want to be a drug addict." Nobody actually has a moment where they say, "You know what? I WANT to throw my life away. I really want to fail, to hurt, to let everyone down." As I've said multiple times, addicts rarely get sobriety right the first time, or even the second or third. It takes MULTIPLE efforts supported by friends, family, and qualified medical professionals to really provide that affected person with the best chance of success. 

So what's the problem with "not getting it right the first few times"? Because the NFL isn't set up for addicts. You fail once, and you're in the NFL level 1 substance system. This means you're tested much more frequently, and THAT means you're gonna pop positive again, and that's when it really hits the fan. So by your 3rd time, you're facing major suspension, and you're going to miss out on SEASONS, not games. In a matter of two years, a career can be gone, and sobriety almost ALWAYS takes longer than that to achieve. So that's the dilemma. 

Let's get something straight. Addicts are sick people. Their brain chemistry is altered and they literally can't change the way they think overnight. They didn't become addicts overnight, and they sure as heck aren't going to fix their addictive behavior quickly. So here's the kicker...even IF an addict achieves sobriety, there's STILL a high chance of falling off the wagon and making a mistake. So THEN what happens? Chances are that the player is still in the NFL substance abuse protocol, and they'll likely be suspended for another year. It's basically a no-win scenario, and it's structured for addicts to fail. I don't know what the solution is, and I realize there need to be consequences for failed tests, but the system is inherently flawed from a clinical perspective. 

NOW, where does this leave Josh Gordon? Well, it leaves him as very likely to get another chance THIS SEASON. His video was not just a publicity stunt, and he basically said the previous attempts at rehab were a joke. Josh Gordon has been humbled. He's a father now. He KNOWS what's at stake and reality is settling in for him....I really believe it. Whether or not that translates into personal and professional success is to be seen, but I am hopeful. It's going to be soon, and Goodell will make a quick ruling on this, I know it. Of course Josh has to submit the actual application, but it's obvious to me that Josh was waiting for this video to be released, and it's smart. 

Fans have been teased too many times before, but this time is different because Josh has been torn down to the studs, and now needs to be built back up. If the Browns can remain loyal to Gordon and welcome him back, Gordon will reward that loyalty and work harder to maintain his sobriety. Recovering addicts are VERY loyal to the people who support them because addicts know they "can't do it alone". You simply CANNOT beat addiction alone, and it takes a multitude of friends, family, and professionals to make the pieces fit back together. I believe that the pieces CAN be assembled for Gordon, and I want it to happen in Cleveland. Think about this for a second:  Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon, Kenny Britt, Seth Devalve, David Njoku, Duke Johnson....that's not bad AT ALL. And those weapons have a legitimate chance to actually happen. And don't scoff at Kenny Britt either. I'm willing to bet money that Britt will increase his productivity by 100% with Kevin Hogan in the game. I seriously believe Britt couldn't handle the Kizer fast ball, and Hogan throws a gorgeous, soft pillow-ball that receivers don't drop. How many drops do our guys have when Hogan is in? 

Listen guys, we're all frustrated now. We're all angry and over the Josh Gordon situation, but look past all that. Look at the man. Look at the pain he faces, and don't look at how much of it is self-inflicted. He spent NINETY DAYS in rehab. Do you have ANY idea how difficult that is? Every day he has to talk about the pain he caused people that love him. The pain he caused the fans who love him. The daughter he is failing to raise. The potential he is failing to reach. Rehab isn't vacation when done correctly, and let me tell you....90 freaking days is "doing it correctly". 

Josh could've been one of the best to ever play the game. I just hope he gets another chance to remind people of that. 

Whole lot to separate here ..Personally...Roger expects a lifestyle plan..His Dad more than likely sounds like a disappointed straight dad that his kid wasted millions on The Stuff..Gordon has 2 children with mothers that could grow 9 foot high Pot Plants in LR? The Smoke may Clear.we just don't know.Owners meeting coming up this week..What can Haslem do when it's on Josh?     

This is going to sound quite cold.  -  Sure, I'd like Josh to get his life in order (and I'd wish that for everyone throughout the world)...but...I'm a Browns fan...and from that standpoint all I really want is for him to play football for my team.  If he's not going to do that then I don't need to know or hear about him.  

The thing is, you never know when a guy like Josh will "get it".  It might be never, it might be tomorrow...you just don't know.  Now, if it IS right now, and we DON'T keep Josh around (if reinstated, obviously), I can promise you that somebody else will kick the tires.  Josh goes on to have a productive mini-season, and that's another nail in our GM's coffin.  Like I said before, I can't imagine Kevin Hogan throwing the ball to real receivers last week.  Heck, we'd have points coming out of our ears.  Think about what having Josh on the team would do for Corey as well.  I don't consider Corey a "#1 WR" and I never have, BUT...I do consider him to be a potential elite #2...IF we have a legit #1.  That's a huge "if", but whatever.  

The problem is, and Gordon admits it...he didn't care. It's not like he was addicted and WANTED to get past it.

He did ...not....care. and kept failing in smaller ways, etc etc etc etc etc.

THAT is the problem. He frickin threw it all away and didn't care.

Seems quite possible he cares now, so good luck to him. If he gets reinstated one more time, and does great,

good for him. If he only plays a few games, gets stoned, a dui, whatever....par for his course for years.

Archived