THE BROWNS BOARD

It's About Baby Steps

wargograw

17 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Giving up the 6th most points in the NFL, isn't that really the most important thing.  Or have sabremetrics convinced people the Browns don't stink?

Having watched, and remembered watching the games, some don't need sabre-anything to know that short fields have contributed to the points yielded.

But as confirmation we are 8th in total yards allowed, 6th in rushing yards allowed and 16th in passing yards allowed.

For those that need more... we are dead last in net turnovers at -9 with 14 INTs thrown (also dead last) and 2 fumbles lost.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Having watched, and remembered watching the games, some don't need sabre-anything to know that short fields have contributed to the points yielded.

But as confirmation we are 8th in total yards allowed, 6th in rushing yards allowed and 16th in passing yards allowed.

For those that need more... we are dead last in net turnovers at -9 with 14 INTs thrown (also dead last) and 2 fumbles lost.

Call me old fashioned but at the end of the day the team with the most points wins.  If you are giving up points but have a great rationalization for why it's happening you are still giving up points.  Great defenses overcome bad offenses and good ones blame offenses.  

But hey I could talk about being 23rd in the league on 3rd down or 31st in TDs Allowed Per Game or 32nd in First Half Points Allowed.  So on those short fields where they are being placed they aren't holding teams to FGs and early when they aren't tired, they are getting torched.  But hang your hat on not giving up big drives because of teams field position.

I'll grant you they are 11th in Yards Per Play which is top half

14 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Call me old fashioned but at the end of the day the team with the most points wins.  If you are giving up points but have a great rationalization for why it's happening you are still giving up points.  Great defenses overcome bad offenses and good ones blame offenses.  

But hey I could talk about being 23rd in the league on 3rd down or 31st in TDs Allowed Per Game or 32nd in First Half Points Allowed.  So on those short fields where they are being placed they aren't holding teams to FGs and early when they aren't tired, they are getting torched.  But hang your hat on not giving up big drives because of teams field position.

I'll grant you they are 11th in Yards Per Play which is top half

Hey if you want a 65-yo calling you old-fashioned, so be it...

There's a big difference between rationalizing and understanding... just as there is between success and progress... macro and micro.

On October 19, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Tour2ma said:

Hey if you want a 65-yo calling you old-fashioned, so be it...

There's a big difference between rationalizing and understanding... just as there is between success and progress... macro and micro.

We going to have the moral victory argument?

I don't know how you chart the progress of a defense that doesn't play for anything.  They have only been in 2 games at halftime and in their late game comebacks they have been surrendering points all along the way.  For my money until they need to hold a lead we won't really know what we have.

Nope... moral victory is nowhere in my current thoughts, discussions or posts. Looking for and recognizing progress does equate to claiming a moral victory.

A moral victory, and I have claimed them before, come in the form of playing a substantially superior team close. Playing them well above your current demonstrated level of proficiency. If we've had such a "victory" this year, it came Week 1, but in hindsight that possible application of the term faded quickly as the Steelers early season dysfunction became more apparent.

You "chart" the progress of a Defense by looking at pertinent data... actual chart optional. Smart-a$$ answer to an obvious question. As to your suggested test... yes, it is a test. One we last saw vs. the Chargers last season(?). One we will see again someday. But I'm neither inclined to nor factually limited into waiting for that eventuality.

Archived