THE BROWNS BOARD

Which school?

Gunz41

On 10/9/2017 at 9:38 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I have a feeling U of Miami can beat that, let's see...

As a group The U was a pretty prolific group:

• The Hurricanes once had a streak of 149 consecutive regular season weeks where a former Hurricane scored a touchdown in an NFL game; the streak started in Week 15 of the 2002 NFL regular season and ended in Week 11 of the 2011 season. During the streak, 33 different former Hurricanes scored touchdowns and a total of 661 touchdowns were scored.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

As a group The U was a pretty prolific group:

• The Hurricanes once had a streak of 149 consecutive regular season weeks where a former Hurricane scored a touchdown in an NFL game; the streak started in Week 15 of the 2002 NFL regular season and ended in Week 11 of the 2011 season. During the streak, 33 different former Hurricanes scored touchdowns and a total of 661 touchdowns were scored.

Holy crap!

On 10/10/2017 at 3:11 PM, Tour2ma said:

Earl went to Texas...

George and Elliot were Buckeyes... but you can add Howard "Hopalong" Cassidy... :)

I feel dumb, I didn't mean Earl Campbell, meant 2 time heisman winner Archie Griffin.

Wow that was s BIG mistake haha

Definitive answer on RBs

It is close between Syracuse and USC. These are the only 2 schools to produce 2 HOF RBs

Syracuse had Jim Brown, Larry Csonka, and Floyd Little....all HOF RBs

USC had OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, and Frank Gifford. 

The edge goes to Syracuse....because they have Jim Brown.

Other schools to produce 2 HOF RBs...or potential HOF RBs..that could contend in the "who produced the best RB category"

Notre Dame: Paul Hornung and Jerome Bettis

Georgia: Terrell Davis and Charley Trippi

SMU: Eric Dickerson and Doak Walker

Pitt: Tony Dorsett and Curtis Martin

Penn St.: Franco Harris and Lenny Moore

Kansas: John Riggins and Gale Sayers

Oklahoma St. :  Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas

Miami: Edgerrin James and Frank Gore (both potential HOF)

In my opinion the duo of Sanders and Thomas could put OK St. in second place...if you just go by the best two.

Definitive answer  on QB.     The fact is, there may be no definitive answer.     Two schools have produce three HOF QBs...or certain HOF QBs:

Alabama:  Namath, Bart Starr, Ken Stabler

Purdue:  Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Drew Brees

Other schools to produce 2 HOF or certain HOF QBs:

UCLA:  Aikman and Bob Waterfield

Oregon: Dan Fouts and Norm Van Brocklin

Duke: Sonny Jurgenson and Ace Parker

Michigan:  Benny Friedman and Tom Brady

If you just go by who were the best two....you might have to consider Michigan.  No one here can doubt the credentials of Brady...but most may not know the quality of Friedman.  He was simply the best QB of his era....which was mid 20s to mid 30s. 

Someone mentioned Stanford and  Elway and Luck.....well...sorry....not so fast my friend.  Luck has a lot to go before he joins the elite QBs in history class.  This is, I assume a question of who were the actual best QBs based on totality of NFL careers.....not on potential. Luck still has a lot of unfulfilled potential...and the jury is out.

Definitive answer on WRs:

There are really only 4 contenders who have produced as many as 2 HOF actual or potential WRs:

Ohio State:  Cris Carter, Paul Warfield, Dante Lavelli

Miami, Fla:  Michael Irvin, (Reggie Wayne)  (Andre Johnson)

Syracuse: Marvin Harrison, Art Monk

Florida State:  Fred Biletnikoff (Anquon Boldin)

( )  means not in but probable HOF

Very tough choice.  The homer in me wants to pick OSU...and it would be a good pick. So, sure, why not, go with the home choice.  But the others are perfectly legitimately arguable  (If Syracuse were chosen, it would have the top spot in two of these 3 categories!!)

Nice to have our own Judge Roy Bean here for the definitive answers. ;)  Well I guess he's the modern day Ohio version  the original was an eccentric U.S. saloon-keeper and Justice of the Peace in Val Verde County, Texas, who called himself "The Law West of the Pecos". I guess he's "The Law East of the Cuyahoga", or is it West?  (and we kid because we care)

And you almost could have a time cutoff because as time goes on the number of pro teams got larger along with the explosion in number of players. For example the best before/after 1980? The older ones are already in the HOF if they're getting in.      Still a good topic.

Definitive answer on Tight Ends.   Again, there is none.  NO school has produced more than 1 HOF  or likely HOF caliber TE. The ones that have:

Notre Dame:  Casper; Pitt: Ditka; Syracuse: Mackey, Minnesota: Charlie Sanders,  Alabama: Ozzie;,  South Carolina: Shannon Sharpe;  NW Louisiana: Jackie Smith; Missouri,  Kellen Winslow;  Cal:  Tony Gonzales?;, Tennesse: Jason Witten?;   Kent State:  Antonio Gates?

? means not in HOF...but probable or potential.

Miami Fla.  has produced two pretty good ones:   Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey. 

Definitive answers on  Offensive Center.    Again, there really is none.  No school has produced more than one HOF center.

However....Gil Brandt did his list of top 16 centers of all time, and  there is one school on there that has two players:

Wisconsin:   both Mike Webster and Travis Frederick (current Cowboys center.....though...could Brandt..ex Cowboys GM, be a little biased?  He also has Alex Mack on the top 16 ever. 

Definitive Answer on Middle Linebacker:

Whoever said above that it is Illinois with finger Butkus and Ray Nitschke is absolutely right.   This may be as slam dunk as any position on the field.

Edit:  OK now, this auto correct is going to far....when I can't even put in D-I-C-K Butkus's name without it being corrected.

18 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

UNC pass rushers Lawrence Taylor & Julius Peppers

Except, technically "pass rusher" is not a position.  A nose tackle is a pass rusher on pass plays.  Peppers is a DE where TAylor was an OLB.  I get where you are coming from, but if we are trying to specify positions....I guess we need to do that.

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Definitive answers on  Offensive Center.    Again, there really is none.  No school has produced more than one HOF center.

However....Gil Brandt did his list of top 16 centers of all time, and  there is one school on there that has two players:

Wisconsin:   both Mike Webster and Travis Frederick (current Cowboys center.....though...could Brandt..ex Cowboys GM, be a little biased?  He also has Alex Mack on the top 16 ever. 

Wisconsin and their tradition of All American and NFL caliber linemen which contains to today.

Safety.    I won't distinguish  between free and strong....but two schools vie for supremacy here:

Iowa:  Emlen Tunnell and  Paul Krause

USC:  Ronnie Lott and Willie Wood

Very hard for me to choose...from these.   Krause is all time leading interceptor, Lott was a hammer.   But, you know, when you put in Troy Polamalu, a likely HOF safety, it probably swings the vote for USC.

Offensive Tackle.

Only two schools are in competition here:

Ohio State:   Lou Groza, Jim Parker, Orlando Pace, all in HOF

USC: Ron Mix, Anthony Munoz, Ron Yary all in HOF

It is almost too close to call.   Since I gave a homer choice to OSU before, perhaps here I will go against them and go with USC...since Munoz may be considered the best LT of all time

Defensive End:

Either way you look at it, the state of Tennessee takes this cake:

Tennessee.....if you count Reggie White as a DE, he along with Doug Atkins would give the Vols the title here.

....but I don't.

So you have Tennessee State with: Richard Dent and Claude Humphrey  as the choice.

Last position....unless I decide to do kickers and punters, which I may:

Outside Linebacker 

A bit of a dilemma.  Only one school has produced two "pure"  OLBs that have made the HOF:

Penn St.  Jack Ham,  Dave Robinson

But two other schools have produced one pure OLB, and each had another listed at DE/OLB:

Pitt: Ricky Jackson and DE/LB Chris Doleman

North Carolina:  Lawrence Taylor and DE/LB Julius Peppers

So, what does one choose? The school with the two pure OLBs...or one of the schools with the hybrids?  

I think my choice is one with the hybrids....because of the quality of the players involved. The Choice:

North Carolina.

So...here are my "final" results in this poll:

Quarterback:   Michigan  courtesy Tom Brady and Benny Friedman  Runnerup: Alabama  next: Purdue

Running back:  Syracuse courtesy of Jim Brown and Larry Csonka . Runnerup USC/OK St.

Wide Receiver: Ohio State courtesy of Paul Warfield and Cris Carter.  Runnerup, Miami, Fla

Tight End:  No definitive choice

Center: Wisconsin courtesy of Mike Webster and Travis Frederick

Offensive Guard:  no definitive choice

Offensive Tackle:  USC courtesy of Anthony Munoz and Ron Mix/Yale Lary   Runnerup: Ohio State

Middle Linebacker:  Illinois, courtesy of finger Butkus and Ray Nitschke

Outside Linebacker:  North Carolina courtesy of Lawrence and Julius Pepper  Runnersup: Penn State and Pitt

Defensive end:  Tennessee State courtesy of Richard Dent and Claude Humphrey. Runnerup: Tennessee

Defensive Tackle:  Miami Fla. courtesy of Warren Sapp and Cortez Kennedy.  Runnerup: Boston College

Safety:  USC courtesy of Ronnie Lott, Willie Wood and Troy Polamalu.  Runnerup: Iowa

Cornerback:  Southern University courtesy of Mel Blount and Aeneas Williams

Archived