THE BROWNS BOARD

How Good Was '17 Tribe Pitching Staff?

Dutch Oven

In the ALDS thread, a few of us were remarking about how good this season's pitching staff was. It got me thinking, in comparison the the American League average, how did this season's pitching staff compare to other great Indians pitching staffs? Well here's the top 10 Indians pitching staffs, in comparison to the A.L. average for that season...

1. 2017: Indians ERA 3.30/ A.L. Average ERA 4.37/ -1.07 difference

1. 1948: Indians ERA 3.22/ A.L. Average ERA 4.29/ -1.07 difference

3. 1954: Indians ERA 2.78/ A.L. Average ERA 3.72/ -.94 difference

4. 1995: Indians ERA 3.83/ A.L. Average ERA 4.71/ -.84 difference

4. 1956: Indians ERA 3.32/ A.L. Average ERA 4.16/ --84 difference

4. 1949: Indians ERA 3.36/ A.L. Average ERA 4.20/ -84 difference

7. 1950: Indians ERA 3.75/ A.L. Average ERA 4.58/ -.83 difference

8. 1940: Indians ERA 3.63/ A.L. Average ERA 4.38/ -.75 difference

9. 2005: Indians ERA 3.61/ A.L. Average ERA 4.35/ -74 difference

9. 1951: Indians ERA 3.38/ A.L. Average ERA 4.12/ -.74 difference

Other notables: In the 117 seasons of Indians baseball, the Tribe pitching staff has been better than the A.L. average 62 times (53%). The best stretch was between 1932-1959. In those 28 seasons, the Tribe finished better than average in ERA 25 times. The worst stretch was between 1969-1993. In those 25 seasons, the Tribe finished better than average in ERA only 3 times. You gotta hope that this season's pitching staff tying the '48 Indians hurlers is a harbinger of good things!

I am 70 years old & been a Tribe Fan since the very early '50s. IMHO, this year's Indians' staff is the BEST I've EVER seen (& not just the Tribe). Keep in mind there was no DH way back when Pitchers also hit (they were generally "easy outs"). Power #s are also much higher today.

This staff is amazing...starters, long, middle relief, & late/closer relief. They have it all. Absolutely amazing. I will say that the single most dominating pitcher I ever saw was Sandy Koufax of the LA Dodgers & he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn until he was 28...Talk about "Wild Thing"!

Mike

Yeah but kluber choked on a finger so what does it matter? One bad outing i understand, but not two in the same series. The yankees series was lost in gane 2 despite the win. Game 2 is when the tankees realized they can hit our ace.

Kluber should have been brought out of the pen for the rest of the series after that first start. Something was obviously off and franco a should have benched him. In the playoffs a pitcher gets shelled early for a couple runs the team may not recover. U have no margin for error in october

Yeah but kluber choked on a finger so what does it matter? One bad outing i understand, but not two in the same series. The yankees series was lost in gane 2 despite the win. Game 2 is when the tankees realized they can hit our ace.

Kluber should have been brought out of the pen for the rest of the series after that first start. Something was obviously off and franco a should have benched him. In the playoffs a pitcher gets shelled early for a couple runs the team may not recover. U have no margin for error in october

Kluber after the best season of all AL pitchers and maybe all MLB pitchers especially coming off of a stint on the DL with generally  devistating back issues had trouble with his pitches just not biting correctly, remember they won game two. The Indians real problem was games 3 and 4, true Kluber could have closed it out but such is the nature of baseball and a 5 game series, one slip up and you're not moving on.

On 10/8/2017 at 6:32 PM, Dutch Oven said:

......Other notables: In the 117 seasons of Indians baseball, the Tribe pitching staff has been better than the A.L. average 62 times (53%). The best stretch was between 1932-1959. In those 28 seasons, the Tribe finished better than average in ERA 25 times. The worst stretch was between 1969-1993. In those 25 seasons, the Tribe finished better than average in ERA only 3 times. You gotta hope that this season's pitching staff tying the '48 Indians hurlers is a harbinger of good things!

I thought some of the early 1960s Indians staffs might have made that list during the high mound, low ERA and BA eras, the Tribe had some good pitchers, again no bats. And it depends on the competition in any list of that kind.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The answer to the question posed in the title to the thread is : Not good enough.

Partly plus you can NOT lose a 1-0 game in a 5 game playoff after being up 2-0, I was worried that the Indians team may have peaked.....they did.

They were the best most complete pitching staff in the 2017 season.

Archived