THE BROWNS BOARD

Has the Browns inability to win over 2 decades cause you to lose interest?

Soju

The Cleveland Browns have held the title of "laughingstock'' for years. almost two decades (holy sh!T!!!) now.

This pathetic team has ripped the NFL fan out of me and robbed me of the once-greatest sports joy in my life. I loathe the Cleveland Browns. I'm literally angry for what they've done to me as a fan.

It's almost unfathomable and statistically impossible for a team to be this consistently bad for this long.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Soju said:

The Cleveland Browns have held the title of "laughingstock'' for years. almost two decades (holy sh!T!!!) now.

This pathetic team has ripped the NFL fan out of me and robbed me of the once-greatest sports joy in my life. I loathe the Cleveland Browns. I'm literally angry for what they've done to me as a fan.

It's almost unfathomable and statistically impossible for a team to be this consistently bad for this long.

Browns' fans are paying for the sins of past lives. Karma's a bitch!:P

I've had many years to ponder why this team can be so bad for so long. We change the players constantly, the coaches every couple years, and even the owners. The team still looks about the same, no matter what. This defies logic, and has now put me in a state of mind, where I really don't give a crap anymore. I've gone from listening to the 1964 championship game on a 3 transistor radio, with an earphone, to this, in 53 years. I hate Sashi Brown, and Hue Jackson. I hate Paul Brown, because I've now I've become so demented, I'm pretty sure he put a permanent curse on the Browns when he died. This team has turned me into one crabby old bastard. I hope Haslam fires all their asses, and continues with the Groundhog Day process. Has there ever been another NFL coach with a 1 - 19 record to start? All you morons who call me a fair weather fan can go screw yourselves. 

2 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

I've had many years to ponder why this team can be so bad for so long. We change the players constantly, the coaches every couple years, and even the owners. The team still looks about the same, no matter what. This defies logic, and has now put me in a state of mind, where I really don't give a crap anymore. I've gone from listening to the 1964 championship game on a 3 transistor radio, with an earphone, to this, in 53 years. I hate Sashi Brown, and Hue Jackson. I hate Paul Brown, because I've now I've become so demented, I'm pretty sure he put a permanent curse on the Browns when he died. This team has turned me into one crabby old bastard. I hope Haslam fires all their asses, and continues with the Groundhog Day process. Has there ever been another NFL coach with a 1 - 19 record to start? All you morons who call me a fair weather fan can go screw yourselves. 

If the Browns get a new owner I wouldn't be disappointed either. I thought at first the Browns had gotten a good owner in Haslam over the incompetent Randy Lerner but Haslam has been more of the same if not worse. Too bad because I really thought Haslam bought the team committed to winning and turning things around.

18 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

That's the thing that is so baffling, is how this can keep happening over the period of years. We've had new owners. We've had offensive/defensive minded coaches. We've started rookie QB's, we've let them sit. We brought in veteran players, we let the rookies play. We've run scheme after scheme with no luck.

I've thought about it a lot, and I think the crux of the issue is not being able to bring in quality coaches. When you think about, there hasn't been a single HC we've brought in really since Bill B. that has moved on to be good somewhere else. I sincerely think we've drafted talented players, but have never developed them. People say they hate Bill O'Brien, but look what he's doing with Watson right now. He's ADAPTING and playing to the strengths of his QB. What Hue (and Gregg Williams really) are doing is making THEIR system fit as opposed to making the system fit for the players. It drives me bonkers.

But the moral of the story is absolutely it makes me lose interest. I didn't even watch the second half save a few plays for fantasy football purposes. I love football, and watching football on Sundays. But if the Browns are gonna bring that weak Sheet, I'm gonna watch a better game. 

I still have interest, though I may give up my season tickets after this year.  I live 600 miles away and don't have as much interest in driving up for 6 or so games.  I would still come up for 3-4 games a year.

I'm still a fan, just beat down. Yesterday was probably the most pissed off feeling I had in a long long time leaving the,stadium.

I love the fall & football season. I'm not sure if I want to renew my tickets next year.

Yes.  I didn't even watch yesterday, and don't regret it one damn bit!  I'm done wasting my Sunday afternoons watching this train wreck of a franchise, that is making a mockery of a once great football tradition!  While the weather remains nice I will be doing outdoors stuff on Sunday afternoons!  I refuse to let my Sundays be ruined, and will NOT watch this team, until they show me something.  How long has this team been rebuilding?  18 years now?  At some point, the light has to go on, and there needs to be REAL progress!  We as fans at this point should expect NOTHING less!  But here we are, sitting once again at 0-4, losing 3 out of the first 4 games of the season to our division rivals, and an overall record of 1-19 going back to last season.  But hey.... we went undefeated in the preseason!:rolleyes:  I grew up a Browns fan, but this organization masquerading as a professional football franchise has about ruined it for me, and watching the NFL as a whole!  Which BTW I did not watch any games yesterday!  So, those of you who want to give me Sheet and tell me to hop on another bandwagon, save it!!!  I didn't expect them to make the playoffs this year, nor even post a winning record, but I did expect progress!  Meaning not starting off 0-4, and winning games against teams that appeared to be winnable!  I also expected to at least win a couple of division games, but that doesn't look like it's happening either!  My God, even bad teams get good by accident!  Not this team!  We're being duped, and quite frankly I'm just done with it!  Having said that, I will not watch them or any other NFL games until this team actually starts improving and winning games!  18 seasons of crap with only 2 winning records in that time frame is absolutely unacceptable!  Hey Jimmuh!!!!  Either get some real Shmucking football people in here, who can actually evaluate talent, and acquire said talent, or sell the damn team!:angry::angry::angry:  

I still love sports, football, the BROWNS and probably will forever but this makes it a lot harder to do now decade after decade......but it makes the blacked out BROWNS games for steelrz games in the Youngstown area easier to handle, just put on the radio and watch something else.  Sad.

GO TRIBE!

Just now, mjp28 said:

I still love sports, football, the BROWNS and probably will forever but this makes it a lot harder to do now decade after decade......but it makes the blacked out BROWNS games for steelrz games in the Youngstown area easier to handle, just put on the radio and watch something else.  Sad.

GO TRIBE!

When it's blacked out on 27, it's usually pretty easy to get it somewhere. And pretty easy is seeming pretty hard anymore.  But the tribe won 102 Sunday and the Browns keep making wish sandwiches. Why bother....yay blackout...lol

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I still have interest, though I may give up my season tickets after this year.  I live 600 miles away and don't have as much interest in driving up for 6 or so games.  I would still come up for 3-4 games a year.

Good seeing you here again Russ. I'll still keep my tickets, as I only have a 200 mile drive. But man, that was an ugly game Sunday. Had me questioning my sanity shelling out that much money every year. Sitting there waiting for the screw up you knew was coming.

I may get pooped on for this and that's fine, but the reality is that up until the end of the '95 season, I used to not be able to sleep for 2-4 nights after a loss. I was a miserable person to be around during, and even hours after a loss. 

After a win, I floated around the planet like I owned the place........ Hell, I bought the "Browns News" paper magazine and paid something like $80 extra ( late 80s / 90's money ) just for expedited shipping so I would receive it by the Saturday before the next game so the info would still be current. 

Now? I still watch the game - while going back and forth to other real NFL games using my expensive DirecTV package, and when they inevitably look like a bad High School team, I just laugh.... Not a crazy laugh fueled by anger, just a laugh at something funny. After the loss, I don't give it a second thought and am a pleasure to be around..... What can I say? I'm a swell guy! 

If it weren't for this forum I would've been done years ago, and if I'm being totally honest, the Rams coming back to SoCal haven't made staying a fan any easier as I do have one, and maybe even both eyes on them now. 

Just my honest feelings............

2 hours ago, lodilobo said:

The only answer is that maybe we shouldn’t change everything so often.....

This is the wrong place to ask that question. We are die-hards and what happens in here is not reflective of the real world.

The answer you seek however, is available to you; not in discussion, but in real tangible data. That is, if you are willing to face the reality. Here would be my response.

• Someone recently showed the distribution of team specific fans across the US. While expectedly regional, what stood out is that the Browns base is small. Shrinking? We don't know because we didn't have this data 5 or 10 years ago to compare. Also, looking at it in terms of total numbers is misleading because all teams have increased the population of their fans. However, this is a result of NFL growth and not team growth. What does stand out as a marker, is that in past years you would never find Steeler fans in downtown Cleveland. Today, this is the case.
  • The popularity of NFL merchandise sales is another strong indicator. One might argue that fans are fickle and winning spurs sales. Partly, this is true, however, it is also true that there is a fixed component of merchandise sales that represents the overall health and strength of a brand. Here in the South, Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham, Little Rock,, even up to St. Louis, few stores, if any carry Browns merchandise. You can however still find merchandise of other shitty teams pretty easily. It isn't just winning that brings popularity, it is also having iconic stars who fans can relate to. For instance, there are a ton of NY Giants fans down here. Southerners make fun of NYC, but they love the Mannings. The Browns miss on both points, no team excitement, and not even one player who makes the headlines that the fans identify with. Joe Thomas jersey, anyone? 
  • Tradition has an expiration date. People here get mad at me for this, but there is just no market or popularity value in talking about the days of Otto and PB. Nobody outside of this board gives a Sheet, and if we are being honest, the only reason we even talk about that Sheet is because we have nothing else to hold on to.

So yes, the answer to your question is an emphatic yes. Viewership and interest in Browns football is diminished and growing more so. The stadium is emptying out earlier and earlier, it is becoming infested with more opposing fans, and as witnessed by what a ghost town this place is after game day, the force of decreasing Browns fan-ship is inevitable and sadly, perhaps now, unstoppable.

There will be no turnaround with this current group of execs. We are fast approaching the point where someone will have to be sacrificed. Inside the FO it is every man for himself. Hue will be the first head to fall because it give the guys upstairs another 18 months of job security. Fire Hue, name Williams as interim. Then there is no pressure to succeed, because we jst have an interim and the FO will get another chance to find the right guy. Unfortunately, the same jackoffs who have fucked up our draft are going to pick the new HC, so the chances of success with that can't be too good.

If you guys want to be self-smug about Cleveland will never lose the Browns, you go ahead and enjoy your bubble, but I am here to tell you, the unthinkable is not as unrealistic as you think. Haslam is not going to keep going like this. Browns fanship is decreasing, it may be that the only way to get an invigorated fan base is to move and rename the team.  

Is there an NFL brand now that has less value than the Browns?

11 minutes ago, wargograw said:

The only answer is that maybe we shouldn’t change everything so often.....

LMAO, yes, lets keep our Socks in the vise. It feels so good let's just enjoy it.

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

I still love football season and watch the games, enjoy tailgating - and I'll always be a fan and follow them, would never root for any other team.

No idea why anybody still has season tickets, though. 

I agree with you B, if you only have cheap nosebleed seats. Different story where am am though (111 row 9). Those premium sections are still held by PSL holders, and they're yours forever as long as you re up your tickets every year. We've put in for seat improvement for years to get in between the 30s, with no luck. The reasons being. Those seats get handed down in wills, and the people (or corporations) holding them aren't going to just walk away. There's more than a few folks in those sections whose grandparents had season tickets to the Browns from day one. When the Browns came back in '99, you needed 30 or more years of seniority to even ask for tickets 100 level inside the 20s, if that gives you any idea how many long time fans there were at the time. 

So if I dumped my seats- it would cost me at least $20,000 to buy back in when the Browns start playing good again, (money I don't have) or pay three times face value on StubHub for single game tickets. LOL, and if we ever get there- we get our playoff tickets at face value.  :)   

i'm old enough to remember the Kosar days and still hold out hope that the Browns will someday have a winning record.  I still think Kizer is the best rookie QB we've had in a while, not sure what happened between the first game and now but hopefully he shakes off these losses and gets back to form.  I know it's hard to remember but Kizer did have a decent game against the Steelers and looked good during preseason, the potential is there it's just a mix of shitty play calling and shitty receivers that are wrecking his mind.  Hopefully he doesn't go the way so many rookies have in the past, having their careers ruined by the Browns' trademark ineptitude.

i've moved around quite a bit and have attempted rooting for other teams but i always come back to the Browns for some unknown reason. I used to get mad every Sunday but it was too much, now I just accept the fate that this is the Browns and I'm in for some comedy on Sundays.   I was hoping my kids would grow up Browns fans, but now it feels like child abuse to dress them in Browns gear.  The first ever Browns game in my son's life was when the Browns played the Ravens and lost on a kick 6, comedy gold!    I think I"ll start buying them some Bengals gear, I don't want them spending their Sundays like I do; sighing at a TV watching the Browns get worse and worse as the season progresses.  Seriously, I miss having players like Joshua Cribbs who would lay it all out for the Browns and play his guts out every Sunday, too many players on this current team are half-assing it and don't seem to care that they're embarrassing themselves.  

Worth a read...   

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/browns_cant_have_a_process_wit.html#incart_big-photo

"There was enough bad on Sunday to reach across the building in Berea, from the coaching staff to the front office. Scheme, roster construction, everything led to one of the most embarrassing losses this team has suffered in a two-year span that has been full of them.

There has to come a point where progress is no longer an abstract. It's not an unfair expectation to want tangible evidence that this plan will work. No one is demanding a 10-2 run to finish the season and fight for the playoffs. Most reasonable people looked at this team and saw four to five wins at best."

The way we been playing, at this point I would do cart wheels for 5 wins. We looked worse than we did our first game back in 1999. We looked confused, lost and above that we were not even trying. If I could I would fine these guys 1 grand per passes dropped to go to a charity. The ball bounces off you're chest and YOU play in the NFL????? WTF, Who brought this ...... in and gave him an unreal amount of money???? That is the first person on the chopping block.

wow.  I was fully expecting, "screw off, Soju!  This board is for REAL fans!  But, I AM a real fan.  Just down trodden and left in despair.  I'm sort of comforted in a way knowing that even BIGGER Browns fans are feeling like me. 

Just now, Soju said:

wow.  I was fully expecting, "screw off, Soju!  This board is for REAL fans!  But, I AM a real fan.  Just down trodden and left in despair.  I'm sort of comforted in a way knowing that even BIGGER Browns fans are feeling like me. 

LOL, like a couple season ticket holders? Message to Hue, start holding guys responsible for bad play. If Britt is the best we got at WR, God help the Browns. You'd have to be blind to not see in limited action Hogan played better than Kizer. What you waiting for Hue? To get fired?

I recommend this for the next game...   

image.png.3e81e9a83f8255e4dce75abc209f06f3.png

We can bring one guy out of retirement, and suit the other guy up....   

image.thumb.png.23b099eaf5ee5b2aaad2e07401b4a2b9.png

Apathy can creep in, certainly.   

When the city has potential Championship teams in both baseball and basketball....a team like this should rightly lose its support to those other squads.

I will definitely be paying more attention to them than to the Browns.  

Apathy hasn't just creeped in, it has busted down the door and set up camp in my living room.

I've actually fallen asleep during Browns games lately. As someone who grew up on the Kosar Browns, that blows my mind. I've fallen asleep during Browns games.

A year or so ago, I flipped channels during a commercial break of a Browns fans to a movie I've seen (in parts) numerous times. Not a classic, just an entertaining "turn your brain off" flick called Catch Me If You Can with Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio. My internal Browns clock is now broken, because I lingered on the movie for almost an entire Browns possession. It finally dawned on me to turn the game on, I realized I had missed a handful of games and I did not care.

It absolutely blows my mind that there is Browns fans who have only known this 1999 to present day Browns. I'll give them credit, because I often feel I care about the Browns now only out of habit. I keep telling myself it can get better, but it never really does. Thankfully I'm a die-hard Indians and baseball fan, that organization gives me pleasure. The Browns only give me indigestion.

5 hours ago, D Bone said:

I may get pooped on for this and that's fine, but the reality is that up until the end of the '95 season, I used to not be able to sleep for 2-4 nights after a loss. I was a miserable person to be around during, and even hours after a loss. 

After a win, I floated around the planet like I owned the place........ Hell, I bought the "Browns News" paper magazine and paid something like $80 extra ( late 80s / 90's money! ) just for expedited shipping so I would receive it by the Saturday before the next game so the info would still be current. 

Now? I still watch the game - while going back and forth to other real NFL games using my expensive DirecTV package, and when they inevitably look like a bad High School team, I just laugh.... Not a crazy laugh fueled by anger, just a laugh at something funny. After the loss, I don't give it a second thought and am a pleasure to be around..... What can I say? I'm a swell guy! 

If it weren't for this forum I would've been done years ago, and if I'm being totally honest, the Rams coming back to SoCal haven't made staying a fan any easier as I do have one, and maybe even both eyes on them now. 

Just my honest feelings............

I'd say this is sort of me too, except my extreme disagreeableness after a loss extended into the mid-2000s, l never got the expedited shipping on the Browns paper (and yes, some weeks it would show up after the game in southern Ohio), and l've tried and cannot root for any other football team.

it is what it is. Enthusiasm is high during the draft and pre-season, enthusiasm wanes as the losses come during the season, apathy starts showing up right about now, and we're a couple weeks away from Shmuck this Sheet. 

And then the process starts again next year.

25 years of season seats.....40 years as a die hard.....and the last 2 years have pushed me over the edge......I used to subscribe to, read, search for every Browns bit I could find....LIVED for Sundays....etc etc etc....

....anymore?....I barely give a Sheet.....and, in a lot of ways, I am just pissed and feel like the Browns have flipped us the bird......

Clearly.....winning isnt the top priority of this regime.....

Just now, Mudfly said:

25 years of season seats.....40 years as a die hard.....and the last 2 years have pushed me over the edge......I used to subscribe to, read, search for every Browns bit I could find....LIVED for Sundays....etc etc etc....

....anymore?....I barely give a Sheet.....and, in a lot of ways, I am just pissed and feel like the Browns have flipped us the bird......

Clearly.....winning isnt the top priority of this regime.....

Problem is I think Jimmy is running it like a Business, and not like a TEAM that should WIN. He's looking at PROFITS instead of a SUCCESSFUL WINNING TEAM.

Archived