THE BROWNS BOARD

Google Translate

TexasAg1969

I am going to Spain this month so I downloaded and tested out Google Translate for Spanish/English Offline onto my Android Cellphone. I tested it both ways by speaking English into it and then back to speaking Spanish into it. It's truly an amazing program. You speak in either language and it replies by both text and speech in the other language. You can even do both at one time and have a real time conversation with another person with just a small amount of touching on the screen as you speak back and forth. The Spanish sounds like that spoken in Madrid rather than S. America, but when I used some of my Venezuelan Spanish on it, it had no problem picking it up and translating it properly into English. For example I would use the word "depue" which is the Venezuelan way of saying the real word, "despues", because Venezuelans drop the "s"s in a lot of their speech. It immediately translated in text and speech to "after".

It is also very accurate in translating better than the normal past, present and future in complex sentences. It accurately translated a complex sentence like "I would have gone there had I known you would have been there too." 

I give this free offline program, that you can use anywhere you want, my highest 5***** rating. Truly impressive. It will augment my rusty Spanish quite well if I have the occasional "hard drive" brain freeze.

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Sounds great! Just like the ones on Star Trek.

WSS

Almost, but I could not find Vulcan on the list of languages you can download for it. But it does have Marathi which I think may be a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. :P

There is about a 1-2 second delay between speaking and translating so that you can finish a complete sentence before it works it's magic. Next time I go to France I will give it a true test since I can't say more than about 10 words in French.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The universal translator?

universal_translator.jpg

Just about. It is one amazingly good program with a real person speaking in a very flowing sentence structure both for Spanish to English and English to Spanish, not some computer with disjointed words. And you can download just about any major language (and some not so major) in the world to use offline, so it's very portable on your cell phone. It's really hard to impress me when it comes to something like this, but for someone with Spanish as a second language, I can't beat it with my rusty Spanish even though I never have a problem getting along fine without a Spanish/English dictionary. I'm going to use it on people in Spain just for grins occasionally or if I just have a brain fart and can't come up with the proper word.

Pretty sure Elvish is a lost language of Cleveland originally spoken by Brownie. It's a dying language only found occasionally on TheBrownsBoard..com:P

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Klingon?  Dothraki?  Valyrion?  Elvish?

Archived