THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL ratings?

Westside Steve

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/19/16314082/nfl-ratings-colin-kaepernick-los-angeles-rams-owners-money

Frankly I'm not sure this is really the case. I think the protests have taken their toll but I think what makes the games a little bit less fun is the plethora of penalties. I don't know how often during every game somebody says 'come on ref let them play the game.' Just gets frustrating and makes it hard to watch. I would have to guess that in most organizations most players wanted to be successful regardless of whether or not some other players getting an extra dollar.  And players  are probably not all that far from each other as far as Talent when you get right down to it.

And just like the minister whose job is to keep his parishioners enthusiastic about the Word so is the head coach responsible to keep his guys focused on the prize.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

And just like the minister whose job is to keep his parishioners enthusiastic about the Word so is the head coach responsible to keep his guys focused on the prize.

WSS

Trolling for "Preacher" wargograw are you?!:D

Are penalties up?

I don't buy the article's premise. Owners are probably even more competitive than players or coaches. They all want "the Lombardi". What they don't all share is a clue on how to get it.

Protests? I'm sure it's a factor. Has to be an intersection of "fan" and aggrieved "superpatriot". I doubt it's a big impact.

Other factors (in no particular order):

• the CBA... it's impact on product quality.
  • the college game... it's impact on product quality.
  • demographics... older, hardcore fans were born in a time when they grew up and lived out their lives in one team's geographic region have... well... lived out their lives. Three generations later their young, mobile, potential replacements just aren't there in the same numbers.
  • participation... from budget cuts to HS programs to CTE concerns to competition from futball... HS participation is in decline and youth program participation is declining and while this may not mean interest in the pro game falls, the interest have to be less invested.

Compared to the 60's HS participation is far, far greater than that era. Especially in the south with the addition of black players to all teams at all levels. I went to 8th grade game (s) last night to watch my son coaching both 8th "A" and "B": teams, something almost unheard of back in the 60s. Tons of parents and fans from both middle schools in real stands that are bigger than what HS stands were back in the day. He coaches defense and his defenses for both teams through two games are unscored upon. Those kids have great speed top to bottom. It's a lot of fun to watch the coaches work with the individual kids on the sidelines on how to improve their skills and techniques. I watched my son working with the DBs showing them how to keep a hand on the WR while looking back for the ball so they did not lose track of where the WR was. He did that immediately after a WR had gotten past them and only a fingertip knocked it just enough away.

Take a game in on that level sometime. They really do enjoy the game and the coaches use a lot of positive reinforcement with hands on teaching. Not like the old days of screaming in your face for screwups.

42 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

than what HS stands were back in the day.

Clearly you've never seen Byers Field... ;) ... Home of the Valley Forge Patriots! and three other HS's...

hqdefault.jpg

I've no doubt that south of the Mason-Dixon in the days of separate yet unequal there were underfunded programs and talent that never saw a field.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Clearly you've never seen Byers Field... ;) ... Home of the Valley Forge Patriots! and three other HS's...

hqdefault.jpg

I've no doubt that south of the Mason-Dixon in the days of separate yet unequal there were underfunded programs and talent that never saw a field.

It was Hayden Fry that broke the color barrier with talented speedster Jerry LeVias. Damn if A&M had broken it would could have had Beaumont's Bubba Smith and Temple's Mean Joe Greene. :(

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Are penalties up?

I don't buy the article's premise. Owners are probably even more competitive than players or coaches. They all want "the Lombardi". What they don't all share is a clue on how to get it.

Protests? I'm sure it's a factor. Has to be an intersection of "fan" and aggrieved "superpatriot". I doubt it's a big impact.

Other factors (in no particular order):

• the CBA... it's impact on product quality.
  • the college game... it's impact on product quality.
  • demographics... older, hardcore fans were born in a time when they grew up and lived out their lives in one team's geographic region have... well... lived out their lives. Three generations later their young, mobile, potential replacements just aren't there in the same numbers.
  • participation... from budget cuts to HS programs to CTE concerns to competition from futball... HS participation is in decline and youth program participation is declining and while this may not mean interest in the pro game falls, the interest have to be less invested.

Horseshit.

The "Lombardi" is not the fucking prize for owners. It is icing on the cake, but it isn't the prize. Owners own teams for prestige and money. That's it. There is no such thing as a poor NFL owner, and the owner of the shittiest NFL team, Haslam, pretty much makes the same as the owner of the best franchise, the Steelers.

Winning a SB is a one game event. While it has a cool publicity ride and ego trip for a week or so, once the game is over things go back to normal and all things are reset. On awards days and induction days, the Lombardi again is a talking point. However, the majority of owners aren't greatly motivated by winning the SB.

As far as the NFL financial model using huge advertising contracts to isolate themselves from the ups and down of the fans? Also horseshit. This manner of revenue generation is indeed a short term buffer, but as viewer participation dwindles, those advertisers will look at just how many people their ads reach. Sooner or later, the financial support will notice and follow the fans who are walking away.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Compared to the 60's HS participation is far, far greater than that era. Especially in the south with the addition of black players to all teams at all levels. I went to 8th grade game (s) last night to watch my son coaching both 8th "A" and "B": teams, something almost unheard of back in the 60s. Tons of parents and fans from both middle schools in real stands that are bigger than what HS stands were back in the day. He coaches defense and his defenses for both teams through two games are unscored upon. Those kids have great speed top to bottom. It's a lot of fun to watch the coaches work with the individual kids on the sidelines on how to improve their skills and techniques. I watched my son working with the DBs showing them how to keep a hand on the WR while looking back for the ball so they did not lose track of where the WR was. He did that immediately after a WR had gotten past them and only a fingertip knocked it just enough away.

Take a game in on that level sometime. They really do enjoy the game and the coaches use a lot of positive reinforcement with hands on teaching. Not like the old days of screaming in your face for screwups.

Here we go, another example of a Browns fan making up pretend bullshit.

YOU CAN SEE IT IN THEIR EYES

WILLIAMS WILL HAVE THIS D WHIPPED UP INTO SHAPE

KIZER IS THE STEAL OF THE DRAFT, NOW WE DON'T HAVE TO WASTE A PICK ON A QB..............

On and on it goes, and now THIS plie of shit "analytical post" by a guy who is making his assessment by the crowds at his local pee-pee football game. Here, the truth about dying football.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726124-report-shows-continuing-drop-in-high-school-football-players

Archived