THE BROWNS BOARD

Who are the championship contenders?

wargograw

I know, Gipper, it's early and all that. 

But the list list only starts with about 8 teams/year anyway and you can get an ok feel for them already. 

Ohio State (too much talent to count them out, though something does seem off)

Penn State

Wisconsin

Michigan (are their weak performances the last two weeks dismissible or indicative?)

Clemson (should be ranked #1)

Bama (unfortunately that's it from the SEC)

USC (Ohio State comments apply though)

Surprising teams that have no shot:

Oklahoma (Big 12 teams can't win the natty anymore)

Oklahoma State (see above)

Washington (not enough talent)

Florida State (not that surprising with Francois out)

Mississippi State (don't have depth enough to make the playoff)

Georgia (too young)

35 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Wait, OU beat OSU ... but OSU is the contender and OU has no shot?

Okies are one bad injury away from Kyler Murray, worst 5***** QB I've ever seen. Sumlin ate that poison pill and now he's gonna pay for it with his job. And it still makes me wonder about Stoops' sudden retirement this summer.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Okies are one bad injury away from Kyler Murray, worst 5***** QB I've ever seen. Sumlin ate that poison pill and now he's gonna pay for it with his job. And it still makes me wonder about Stoops' sudden retirement this summer.

Kyler's going to kill it when he starts again. Just watch. Don't buy Sumlin's talking points on this. 

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

It's college football. You ain't gotta throw that well. Lamar Jackson's not a thrower either. 

But it helps if you aren't throwing up huge arching rainbows which Kyler seems to love most. Now if someone would just put up a basket, he might be more successful. ;)

4 hours ago, wargograw said:

Guarantee you those two teams are out of the NC picture at that point. 

Once upon a time we could not say that with confidence.  Perhaps now, however, yes.  

So....whatever happened to Miami as THE powerhouse in college football?  Cheating scandals etc. all catch up to them? (or...were they 90s steroid freaks?)

On 9/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, The Gipper said:

The usual suspects?

Maybe throw in Va. Tech and Miami?

Outside of the Alabama Invitational there might actually be a new surprise contender this year, who well too early for that on who makes the final four. Image if the D-1A did it right with 8 or 16 teams? Holy smokes! 

Remember too OSU lost to lowly VT and went on to win the first playoff National Championship.  ;)

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Once upon a time we could not say that wU basically confidence.  Perhaps now, however, yes.  

So....whatever happened to Miami as THE powerhouse in college football?  Cheating scandals etc. all catch up to them? (or...were they 90s steroid freaks?)

The U basically got the death penalty ala the once powerful professional cheaters SMU, slightly different atmosphere in the NCAA now.......slightly. 

On 9/20/2017 at 1:39 PM, The Gipper said:

Once upon a time we could not say that with confidence.  Perhaps now, however, yes.  

A program that never should have been up there to begin with. 

17 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Outside of the Alabama Invitational there might actually be a new surprise contender this year, who well too early for that on who makes the final four. Image if the D-1A did it right with 8 or 16 teams? Holy smokes! 

Remember too OSU lost to lowly VT and went on to win the first playoff National Championship.  ;)

I'm for a bigger playoff, but it would actually reduce the chances of a non power program winning it all even further. 

3 hours ago, wargograw said:

I'm for a bigger playoff, but it would actually reduce the chances of a non power program winning it all even further. 

Although a nobody school has a near zero shot at the football final four now, a final 8 or 16 might give them at least a shot to get in....upsets and all,  remember March Madness only no 64 or 68.

In D-1AA football  last year YSU made the final two as a proverbial long shot, seedings gave them a shot.

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Although a nobody school has a near zero shot at the football final four now, a final 8 or 16 might give them at least a shot to get in....upsets and all,  remember March Madness only no 64 or 68.

In D-1AA football  last year YSU made the final two as a proverbial long shot, seedings gave them a shot.

If you were to make it like the NCAA tournament (or...actually just like the FCS and D-II and D--III tournaments), you would take the winners of the 10 FBS conferences:  AAC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Conf.-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Pac-12 and SEC....and put them all in the tournament.  Then add 6 "Wild cards".  That, to me would be ideal.  

But "OH MY GOD"  what would it do to the Bowl games!!   (Answer: who really gives a shit. They can still be played in like an NIT type situation...the only people paying attention are the fans of the schools in it now).

But "OH MY GOD" what about taking the kids away from school...what about their test...their education!! (they do it now with FCS, D-II and D-III....why the fuck is the education of the FBS players more important than those of the lower divisions?  It ain't)

17 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah but this isn't basketball. Basketball's not a physical game. In football you can fluke your way to one upset. But rarely two straight. Never three. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't know about that. When Howard Schnellenberger and Bernie and Vinny there I think it was a good program. Others came in and made it a renegade.

Yes, that's when they started being good. And their fan support before, during, and since that run has been pretty poor. 

What "non-power" program has any sort of a chance now, with only 4 teams in it?  Even the Big 12 has no chance now. Not really.

None really. But they'd have even less than the minuscule shot they currently have, insofar as that's possible. 

If you were to make it like the NCAA tournament (or...actually just like the FCS and D-II and D--III tournaments), you would take the winners of the 10 FBS conferences:  AAC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Conf.-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Pac-12 and SEC....and put them all in the tournament.  Then add 6 "Wild cards".  That, to me would be ideal.  

But "OH MY GOD"  what would it do to the Bowl games!!   (Answer: who really gives a shit. They can still be played in like an NIT type situation...the only people paying attention are the fans of the schools in it now).

But "OH MY GOD" what about taking the kids away from school...what about their test...their education!! (they do it now with FCS, D-II and D-III....why the fuck is the education of the FBS players more important than those of the lower divisions?  It ain't)

No one except you wants 5 loser non-P5 schools in a 16 team playoff. Terrible idea. 

Bowl games can be worked into the playoff games.....and sell out instead of partial or half empty stadiums.   Playoffs work, have for decades EVERY football division has them starting in high school except the Neanderthal D1-A which continues to hang on to the tired bowl system. Some bowls work most are marginal at best playoffs besides being a good idea would help.

On the physicality of football in a 16 team field 8 play one game and go down quickly from there. Oh they also bring in extra money for the schools involved....ask YSU. ;)

10 hours ago, wargograw said:

No one except you wants 5 loser non-P5 schools in a 16 team playoff. Terrible idea. 

Bad idea....until one of those schools pulls off a big upset....then it would be considered one of the greatest thing since sliced  meatloaf.  Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament when a David beats a Goliath.  

Awesome.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Bowl games can be worked into the playoff games.....and sell out instead of partial or half empty stadiums.   Playoffs work, have for decades EVERY football division has them starting in high school except the Neanderthal D1-A which continues to hang on to the tired bowl system. Some bowls work most are marginal at best playoffs besides being a good idea would help.

On the physicality of football in a 16 team field 8 play one game and go down quickly from there. Oh they also bring in extra money for the schools involved....ask YSU. ;)

Agree. Most Bowl games are meaningless.  Incorporated into the tournament however...and that would be grand.

Archived