THE BROWNS BOARD

Who are the championship contenders?

wargograw

On 9/23/2017 at 9:43 AM, The Gipper said:

Bad idea....until one of those schools pulls off a big upset....then it would be considered one of the greatest thing since sliced  meatloaf.  Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament when a David beats a Goliath.  

Awesome.

So let them actually earn their way in instead of getting an automatic bid over teams that actually deserve it. Your proposal would have some clown Mountain West team in the playoff over Ohio State last year. That's gay.

23 hours ago, wargograw said:

So let them actually earn their way in instead of getting an automatic bid over teams that actually deserve it. Your proposal would have some clown Mountain West team in the playoff over Ohio State last year. That's gay.

Well, again, no worse that the #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. And what about the AAC or ConfUSA.  (only up to a couple of years ago teams like Louisville were part of those conferences)

And it wouldn't be gay...it would be called football.  And what if that clown Mountain West team pulled the big upset over a P5 team? 

I would suggest that each and every year there would be at least one very close contest in one of those games.   I mean, if you really believe what you say....then we should do away with the "FBS"  division in football, and have ONLY the Power 5 teams participate. 

I have no idea what your first sentence means. 

Louisville certainly didn't deserve to be in the natty discussion until they joined the ACC so you haven't really proved anything there. 

So watching an NFL team play a high school team "would be called football"? 

If they pulled the upset, it would just be silliness. Some trash team that got up for one game while the other team was sleepwalking because they had to play such a terrible opponent. There would be zero actual reason to believe that that team was better. 

Yes, I would love to lock the P5. And believe it or not, that is the benevolent thing to do for the non-P5 teams. Allow them to win their own actual championship.

17 minutes ago, wargograw said:

I have no idea what your first sentence means. 

Oops, failed to finish it.  Meant to say, no worse than the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament playing a #16 seed.

Louisville certainly didn't deserve to be in the natty discussion until they joined the ACC so you haven't really proved anything there. 

Point is: they didn't really become a better team JUST because they joined the SEC.  They may have been just as good as a member of the C-USA.

So watching an NFL team play a high school team "would be called football"? 

Yes, but this would be one college Division 1 school against another college Division 1 school (nka FBS).

If they pulled the upset, it would just be silliness. Some trash team that got up for one game while the other team was sleepwalking because they had to play such a terrible opponent. There would be zero actual reason to believe that that team was better. 

Yes, I would love to lock the P5. And believe it or not, that is the benevolent thing to do for the non-P5 teams. Allow them to win their own actual championship.

It would be called the FBS National Championship Playoff Tournament ....same as it is called now. It would just be expanded. I mean, sorry...I am not the one that "made up" what leagues constitute the FBS level leagues.  These other leagues...MAC, MW, AAC, CUSA ARE FBS level leagues. The FBS playoff ARE their playoffs.  

It's not the same. Guys can play basketball until the cows come home. You can only play one football game per week and players will start groaning if they have to play any more than 15. So if we do make them play more, it better be good. 

Louisville is absolutely a better team as a result of being in the ACC (not SEC). Recruits want to play at a P5 school.

Yes, it is their playoff. And they have never, and will never win it. Ergo, let them have their own playoff. I don't really care that they're called FBS, unless you want to concede that power 5 means something too. 

Here, perhaps is what you may prefer  (and I may too):

Take the P5 conferences.....and have each of them have 16 members.   Right now those 5 have only 65 members.    Or expand it to the "P6" conferences....with 16 each and have 96 teams in there.  That would be OK.

Then have this group have its own playoffs.

Then relegate the Sun Belt, MAC etc.  back down to the FCS level where they can compete with teams on that level.  

I really wouldn't really have a problem with that. As a MAC school graduate (Akron), I know that these teams cannot be expected to play at the same level as the now P5 schools. 

So, have your 96 P6 schools.     Your job now is to choose those 96 schools and the conference alignments.

And how about this to make it even more interesting each year:     Institute a "Relegation" process, like they have in English Soccer.  Lets say that each year that say the best 8 "FCS" level schools would "move up"  into the 96 P6 schools, and the bottom 8  of the P6 would have to "move down" to play at the FCS level.

That could add some real excitement, intrigue into not only the top FBS schools playing for the title....but also in the bottom rung of the FBS level and also generate some real interest in the FCS playoffs....to see who makes the Final 8 there to be moving up. 

See my next set of posts.

So how about this lineup for the 96 "P6" Schools.   Start with the current P5:

ACC:   Boston College,  Clemson, Fla St.  L-ville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wake Forest Duke, Ga. Tech, Miami, North Carolina, NC St.  Pitt, Virginia, Virgina Tech.......15

Need1 more to fill 16 spots in the ACC           16.?

Big Ten:  Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Penn St., Rutgers, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin...14

Need 2 more to fill 16 spots in the Big Ten    15.?    16.? 

Big 12: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, OK St., TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, West Virg.....10

Need 6 spots to fill the Big 12:   11.?    12.?  13.?  14.?  15.? 16.?

Pac 12: Arizona, Arizona St. Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Ore St., USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington, Wash. St.....12

Need 4 spots to fill the 16 Pac 12 :  13.?  14.? 15.? 16.? 

SEC:  Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St. Texas A&M...14

Need 2 spots to fill the SEC

HSo we need 15 schools to fill the 16 school quota for each of the above conferences....plus:

The lets call the 6th member the  Conference USA?     We need 16 schools to fill out this conference.

We will look at the candidate for these 31 spots next.

For this purpose I am going to say right now that I would likely take the entire MAC and the entire Sun Belt conf. and "relegate" them to the lower division. You can see those schools here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Belt_Conference

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-American_Conference

That leaves the  39 teams that are currently in the AAC, the ConfUSA and the Mountain West, plus a few Independents to be accepted into the new P6 conferences.

Those schools are:

AAC: Central Fla., Cincinnati,  Connecticut, E. Carolina, Houston, Memphis, S. Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, Wichita St.

CUSA: UAB,  Fla. Atlantic, Fla. International, La. Tech, Marshall, Mid. Tenn St., NC Charlotte, North Texas, Old Dominion, Rice, So. Miss, UTEP, UT San Ant., Western KY

Mountain West:  Air Force, Boise St. Fresno St. Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego St. San Jose St. Utah St. Wyomin

Independents:  Army, BYU, UMass.

So....there are 31 spots but 39 teams......8 must be relegated from these.  And here are my 8:

Army and Air Force.   (Oddly....Navy is not listed as an FBS school...ergo, I am putting these two on the same level as Navy).  Fla Atlantic and Fla International (too many Fla schools already...and these are not ready for prime time schools).  UMass.... Western Ky, UT San Ant. and Old Dominion.  These schools only went FBS in the last few years.  Let them grow up. 

So,now that we are down to the 31 who gets to go where?  Next post

1. Start with the Big Ten.   Here, I move West Va. out of the Big 12 into the Big Ten.....and put Connecticut in as well.

2. For the ACC I move Cincinnati in there to fill in the 16th spot. Cinci has long time rivalries with L-Ville and Pitt..so put them back together

3. For the Pac 12...4 spots...put in the teams that represent the western states that are not yet there:  Wyoming, New Mexico, Boise St. and Nevada

4. For the now 7 slots open in the Big 12....I create an incestuous pot.  I put all the Texas teams back in with the Texas teams already in there....so the Big 12 gets  UTEP, SMU, Houston, North Texas, and Rice, plus it gets the other Kansas and the other Oklahoma schools:  Wichita St. and Tulsa.

5. For the 2 spots open in the SEC I put East Carolina in there.  It may in fact be the best football school in the state of NC...and it gives the SEC a team there.   And just for shits and giggles, I am going to give the state of West Virginia to the SEC as well. Marshall will move in there.  

6. That should leave 16 schools for the remnant Conference USA...which will live up to its name.   Two Division: 

A.  East (of Mississippi):  Central Florida, South Florida, UAB, UNCC, MTSU, So. Miss., Memphis, Temple

B. West of Mississippi:  Fresno St., San Diego St. San Jose St. UNLV, Utah St.  BYU, La. Tech, Tulane.

Maybe my idea of relegating 8 teams may be too much. Maybe only 4?   I suspect also that it would be in this Conf USA that teams would/could come in and out of:    be it an Air Force or UTSA in the west, or one of the Florida teams or W. Ky or Old Dominion, or Army in the East.  If a MAC team or Sun Belt team were to move up....they could fit in the East or west.     Though, I would say that the like of all those teams in Texas in the Big 12 could be on the move as well.

Nice thoughts but I still hate the P14 conferences, in the 10 team conferences now lesser schools can get buried for years or decades now with 14 they can be buried until the next ice age.

18 hours ago, wargograw said:

Dissolve the Big 12. Send Baylor or Iowa State to the FCS. Make Notre Dame join the ACC officially. Then have 4 16 team conferences. 64 teams. 

No, counter productive.  And why Baylor or Iowa St.   ALL of the following P5 schools have worse average attendance than both Baylor and Iowa St.:

In order from least to most:

Kansas

Wake Forest

Duke

Vanderbilt

Washington St.

Boston College

Syracuse

Purdue

Nortwestern

Oregon St.

Maryland