Sign in to follow this  
wargograw

Who are the championship contenders?

I know, Gipper, it's early and all that. 

But the list list only starts with about 8 teams/year anyway and you can get an ok feel for them already. 

Ohio State (too much talent to count them out, though something does seem off)

Penn State

Wisconsin

Michigan (are their weak performances the last two weeks dismissible or indicative?)

Clemson (should be ranked #1)

Bama (unfortunately that's it from the SEC)

USC (Ohio State comments apply though)

Surprising teams that have no shot:

Oklahoma (Big 12 teams can't win the natty anymore)

Oklahoma State (see above)

Washington (not enough talent)

Florida State (not that surprising with Francois out)

Mississippi State (don't have depth enough to make the playoff)

Georgia (too young)

36 minutes ago, wargograw said:

No. They suck. 

Both still undefeated.  You never know.

Wait, OU beat OSU ... but OSU is the contender and OU has no shot?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Okies are one bad injury away from Kyler Murray, worst 5***** QB I've ever seen. Sumlin ate that poison pill and now he's gonna pay for it with his job. And it still makes me wonder about Stoops' sudden retirement this summer.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Okies are one bad injury away from Kyler Murray, worst 5***** QB I've ever seen. Sumlin ate that poison pill and now he's gonna pay for it with his job. And it still makes me wonder about Stoops' sudden retirement this summer.

Kyler's going to kill it when he starts again. Just watch. Don't buy Sumlin's talking points on this. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Yes. This was covered already. 

14 hours ago, wargograw said:

So's Vanderbilt. Don't care. 

Lets see how things stand around like Thanksgiving.

Guarantee you those two teams are out of the NC picture at that point. 

56 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Kyler's going to kill it when he starts again. Just watch. Don't buy Sumlin's talking points on this. 

Kyler is a runner not a thrower. He'd make a better slot receiver if he has hands.

It's college football. You ain't gotta throw that well. Lamar Jackson's not a thrower either. 

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

It's college football. You ain't gotta throw that well. Lamar Jackson's not a thrower either. 

But it helps if you aren't throwing up huge arching rainbows which Kyler seems to love most. Now if someone would just put up a basket, he might be more successful. ;)

4 hours ago, wargograw said:

Guarantee you those two teams are out of the NC picture at that point. 

Once upon a time we could not say that with confidence.  Perhaps now, however, yes.  

So....whatever happened to Miami as THE powerhouse in college football?  Cheating scandals etc. all catch up to them? (or...were they 90s steroid freaks?)

7 hours ago, wargograw said:

Yes. This was covered already. 

Oh, right right...

On 9/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, The Gipper said:

The usual suspects?

Maybe throw in Va. Tech and Miami?

Outside of the Alabama Invitational there might actually be a new surprise contender this year, who well too early for that on who makes the final four. Image if the D-1A did it right with 8 or 16 teams? Holy smokes! 

Remember too OSU lost to lowly VT and went on to win the first playoff National Championship.  ;)

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Once upon a time we could not say that wU basically confidence.  Perhaps now, however, yes.  

So....whatever happened to Miami as THE powerhouse in college football?  Cheating scandals etc. all catch up to them? (or...were they 90s steroid freaks?)

The U basically got the death penalty ala the once powerful professional cheaters SMU, slightly different atmosphere in the NCAA now.......slightly. 

On 9/20/2017 at 1:39 PM, The Gipper said:

Once upon a time we could not say that with confidence.  Perhaps now, however, yes.  

A program that never should have been up there to begin with. 

17 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Outside of the Alabama Invitational there might actually be a new surprise contender this year, who well too early for that on who makes the final four. Image if the D-1A did it right with 8 or 16 teams? Holy smokes! 

Remember too OSU lost to lowly VT and went on to win the first playoff National Championship.  ;)

I'm for a bigger playoff, but it would actually reduce the chances of a non power program winning it all even further. 

3 hours ago, wargograw said:

I'm for a bigger playoff, but it would actually reduce the chances of a non power program winning it all even further. 

Although a nobody school has a near zero shot at the football final four now, a final 8 or 16 might give them at least a shot to get in....upsets and all,  remember March Madness only no 64 or 68.

In D-1AA football  last year YSU made the final two as a proverbial long shot, seedings gave them a shot.

12 hours ago, wargograw said:

A program that never should have been up there to begin with. 

I don't know about that. When Howard Schnellenberger and Bernie and Vinny there I think it was a good program. Others came in and made it a renegade.

12 hours ago, wargograw said:

What "non-power" program has any sort of a chance now, with only 4 teams in it?  Even the Big 12 has no chance now. Not really.

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Although a nobody school has a near zero shot at the football final four now, a final 8 or 16 might give them at least a shot to get in....upsets and all,  remember March Madness only no 64 or 68.

In D-1AA football  last year YSU made the final two as a proverbial long shot, seedings gave them a shot.

If you were to make it like the NCAA tournament (or...actually just like the FCS and D-II and D--III tournaments), you would take the winners of the 10 FBS conferences:  AAC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Conf.-USA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Pac-12 and SEC....and put them all in the tournament.  Then add 6 "Wild cards".  That, to me would be ideal.  

But "OH MY GOD"  what would it do to the Bowl games!!   (Answer: who really gives a shit. They can still be played in like an NIT type situation...the only people paying attention are the fans of the schools in it now).

But "OH MY GOD" what about taking the kids away from school...what about their test...their education!! (they do it now with FCS, D-II and D-III....why the fuck is the education of the FBS players more important than those of the lower divisions?  It ain't)