THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue and the offense

LondonBrown

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Brock beat Kizer. So did Hogan. Now Brock may have been trying to get cut and was doing his typical immature shit, but his presnap ability blew Kizer's away. Hogan, politically would be tough to condone at the time. But that is what real adults do.

The "beat out" myth is a myth. They just handed him the job despite playing poorly.

47 minutes ago, Hempman said:

I thought Brock beat Kizer. So did Hogan. Now Brock may have been trying to get cut and was doing his typical immature shit, but his presnap ability blew Kizer's away. Hogan, politically would be tough to condone at the time. But that is what real adults do.

The "beat out" myth is a myth. They just handed him the job despite playing poorly.

Disagree... both Brock and Kess were reluctant to go downfield... Kizer wasn't. Hue values downfield.

Add in the need to check out Kizer as a tie-breaker, and his choice was a no-brainer.

Hogan? Never really got in the mix, did he? Can only assume he never earned that right in TC.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Disagree... both Brock and Kess were reluctant to go downfield... Kizer wasn't. Hue values downfield.

Add in the need to check out Kizer as a tie-breaker, and his choice was a no-brainer.

Hogan? Never really got in the mix, did he? Can only assume he never earned that right in TC.

Hue does not play to the strength of his Players and its been PAINFULLY evident the second half of the season and the beginning of this one.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Different argument... and not one we can have... since I agree.

C'mon, Hue.... move that pocket!

i could argue that since he's shown ineptitude at using his players strengths that his "starter" evaluation is flawed Kizer is throwing what 30% deep ball right now which is just a ridiculous number. and if this is intentional why is a head coach asking a rook qb to throw deep more than tom brady?

Sorta like last year where it was difficult to evaluate defensive talent with Horton's soft scheme.

Ah... well, Hue is a disciple of the vertical game. He's trying to mold a youngster to his game. That game is not in Brock or Kess and Hogan is really not equipped for it.

Hopefully Hue realizes that we don't have the personnel to execute a vertical passing game, and I don't think anyone starting a 21 year-old rookie QB would even TRY it.  

If (and it's obviously a huge if), but IF we are able to keep it close early and not get behind, I truly believe we're going to have a MUCH different offensive look.  I think we're going to see a lot of Kizer under center, a lot of running off-tackle, and probably a lot of punts.  Hue is going to do everything he can to make our 3rd downs WAY more manageable.  Remember, we averaged something ridiculous on 3rd down against the Ravens, and that's a recipe for disaster.  I mean, it was something like an average of 3rd and 9 for the game, wasn't it?  Some of that was due to penalties, some of that was due to losing yards on running plays, and some of that was due to sacks.  It was a combination of atrocious circumstances that really sealed our fate because there was never going to be a time when our offense consistently won on 3rd and a mile.  It just wasn't going to happen.  

The elephant in the room isn't even Deshone Kizer's awful play, rather it's our defensive line being LAST in the entire league at creating QB pressure.  Think about that for a minute.  Out of 32 teams, our players are DEAD LAST.  Yes, we don't have Myles Garrett, but if you think one rookie is going to be the magical difference between last and respectable, I have some bad news for you.  Not only that, Garrett isn't coming back 100% healthy, I don't care HOW long he stays out.  Will he help?  I sure hope so, but Emmanuel Ogbah is having a terrible season, and it's not because he's getting chipped or double-teamed.  He's straight up getting OWNED.  Both he and Nassib are ranked at the bottom of the barrel, and that's just pathetic.  

Back to our offense.  As I've said before, if you have Crowell in fantasy (especially PPR league), I'd definitely start him.  He's going to get a TON of touches, both running and receiving, and if we can keep the score close, or god forbid have a LEAD, I see Crow busting the game open late as the defense tires.  Like I said earlier, I fully expect a bunch of punts, and I'm fine with that AS LONG as our defense holds the Colts to FG's, punts, and two turnovers.  We keep them out of the end zone, we have a chance to win.  We can punt the ball and play field position, I really think so.  That being said, this doesn't mean I don't want to see us take a few calculated shots.  What we need to see is Kizer and our receivers WINNING on those shots, and really capitalizing on those few opportunities that present themselves.  An example from last week that we screwed up (of course) was on around our 21st offensive play, and Kizer got sacked by Mosley.  Both Crow AND Vitale screwed up their pass protection, and BOTH went to block phantom defenders.  If we pick Mosley up, even if Kizer has to shift to the right or left, Coleman was WIDE OPEN down the sidelines for a probable touchdown.  THOSE are the kinds of opportunities that we simply must have, but historically fail to deliver.  

I'm very close to predicting a Browns win, but I'm not quite there yet.  If this game was in Cleveland, I'd already give us the nod (in my distorted mind).  My main concern for not calling a Browns win are the PENALTIES, specifically holding and delay of game.  I worry about how slowly we break the huddle, and this is a typical rookie problem.  That being said, Hue Jackson said a few times this week that they will be working hard on this issue, so I'm somewhat hopeful we can improve, despite playing on the road.  Furthermore, if we're going to run as much as I THINK we're going to, the amount of "drive killing" holding calls terrify me.  

We stay away from turnovers and limit our penalties, and we might have a decent chance.  

IF crow had vision, IF the Browns didn't have so many crushing penalties, IF the Browns didn't keep giving away the ball, IF Hue could actually learn the vertical game is not the only game, IF we had better blockers in the backfield, IF we knew how NOT to drop passes and IF we actually tried a running game.

Yeah this is winnable.:lol:

EDIT: And IF we had a better clock manager/play caller.:P

Yeah, I know Texas...those reasons are mainly why I refuse to give the Browns the nod this week.  I just can't see a team like ours, who went full Retard, pulling a game out.  Does anybody see us sustaining drives?  Punching it in the end zone?  Sacking the QB?  Not turning it over?  Cuz I really don't.  The ONLY way I see us truly winning this game is if we get that "lucky touchdown" early in the game, either on a punt return, fumble-td, pick-6, or something like that.  Something that gives us early momentum.  Everybody here knows how slowly we start off EVERY GAME, so we desperately need something that gives us a giant boost.  

Archived