THE BROWNS BOARD

2018 QB Draft Class

CaineDeSoulis

11 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Exactly right.

It sucks that this season might be hard to watch with expectations so high.  But Sashi is a good GM and I believe he has his eye on a 2018 QB. Good things are ahead.

Lol.

Of course if I had his job we would have Mitch trubisky learning from Josh McCown with Malik Hooker and OJ Howard. 

WSS

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Lol.

Of course if I had his job we would have Mitch trubisky learning from Josh McCown with Malik Hooker and OJ Howard. 

WSS

You mentioned this....but I am still not sure how that could have worked out.  I think the Browns could only have gotten two of them. They could have taken MT at #1, then Hooker with like #10 or so....But:  In order to get 3 first round picks the Browns had to trade down in round one to get Peppers, then back up again to get Njoku.  

Don't think it could have worked to get the three you mention. 

16 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Baker Mayfield looks awesome so far. He put his foot straight up the Buckeyes' ass. I haven't seen much NCAAF this season cuz I'm busy on Saturdays, but from the HL's, Rosen and Mayfield seem to be playing the best.

Mayfield seems better at eluding defenses than the cops 

OU is my favorite college team but Mayfield's skill set will not translate to NFL success but darn good college QB

14 hours ago, BaconHound said:

... Mayfield's skill set will not translate to NFL success but darn good college QB

I somewhat feel the same. I see Mayfield and I see a sober, more dedicated, more disciplined JFF. Those three modifiers give him a chance, a better chance, but his odds are not great.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I somewhat feel the same. I see Mayfield and I see a sober, more dedicated, more disciplined JFF. Those three modifiers give him a chance, a better chance, but his odds are not great.

I mean, when JT Barrett stomped all over Oklahoma.....doing basically the same things that Mayfield does, no one touted him to become a good NFL QB.   Barrett has as much skill as Mayfield.  And neither, in my opinion, would make a good NFL QB.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:10 AM, The Gipper said:

You mentioned this....but I am still not sure how that could have worked out.  I think the Browns could only have gotten two of them. They could have taken MT at #1, then Hooker with like #10 or so....But:  In order to get 3 first round picks the Browns had to trade down in round one to get Peppers, then back up again to get Njoku.  

Don't think it could have worked to get the three you mention. 

Possibly. But even in the worst case scenario we would have a starting quarterback capable of winning in the NFL. A much better College Prospect learning from him. A top-flight defensive back in hooker instead of a Gamble with peppers who may or may not be able to play that position in the NFL. N'joku sp?needs to prove he can play tight end in the league and at the very least we could still have Gary Barnidge who has. We would still have plenty of draft picks next season and put the final seasoning on the stew.

Unless we hit on all of Sashi Browns rolls of the dice we are back to square one. Well not really back to, we've just never left Square One.

WSS

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Possibly. But even in the worst case scenario we would have a starting quarterback capable of winning in the NFL. A much better College Prospect learning from him. A top-flight defensive back in hooker instead of a Gamble with peppers who may or may not be able to play that position in the NFL. N'joku sp?needs to prove he can play tight end in the league and at the very least we could still have Gary Barnidge who has. We would still have plenty of draft picks next season and put the final seasoning on the stew.

Unless we hit on all of Sashi Browns rolls of the dice we are back to square one. Well not really back to, we've just never left Square One.

WSS

I am not sure that Barnidge has been picked up  by any team.   Other than the desire to just get rid of our older players, it seems, with all the uncertainty in this receiving corps,who have had drop after drop after drop that a sure handed veteran like him would not have been good for us.

I mean, really...WTF was up with the release of Barnidge  (or is the fact that he was not picked up telling?...or...was he picked up?)

Darnold didn't look good at all. He's allowed to have a bad game, and I don't hold it against him, but that defense he faced wasn't supposed to be elite, was it? Darnold is young and needs another year, but there's no denying his talent. To be honest, I'm not following the QB class because I think we have our guy, and that's the first time I've EVER SAID THAT. Just remember Peyton Manning's rookie year, ok? He had a metric crap-ton of INTs. Like...32 or something (too lazy to look up). So I'm trying as hard as I can to be patient, and I hope everyone else is too. Please note I'm NOT saying Kizer will be Manning...just giving some comparison info. 

And let's be freaking honest here, Kizer wasn't exactly gifted with a premier roster chocked full of weapons, ok? Yes his accuracy is suspect. Yes he holds the ball. Yes there are concerns, but I really believe he will be the guy for 10+ years, and that's exactly what the doctor ordered. 

Next year we'll do everything possible to upgrade our WRs, I just know it. We'll get the available Maclin in free agency, we'll draft a guy early, we'll do whatever possible to help Kizer out because I honestly believe both Hue and the front office know that Kizer can be THE GUY. I don't think we'll need to draft a QB early, or at all. Think about what that means for our 2018 draft. Two 1st rounders AND THREE second rounders we can use to increase the talent level of our squad. Yes, everything depends on Kizer making progress and obviously staying healthy this season, but it feels like it's TIME for us. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Darnold didn't look good at all.

No... he did not... and really hasn't looked good this year. One WaU proviso... must be the noisiest place this side of Seattle. The WaU QB on the other hand looked decent. First I've seen of him. Not a darkhorse candidate (yet), but decent and was getting NFL mentions from the broadcasters.

ASIDE: The "targeting" review system in the NCAA is really working.

Speaking of darkhorses... saw only a little of my latest MsSU crush (not good @ Auburn) and UVA leading contender was in a BYE-week.

Archived