THE BROWNS BOARD

2018 QB Draft Class

CaineDeSoulis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Okay then you are sold and even if by some chance we are able to draft Sam Darnold (and he does nothing to discourage the enthusiasm before the draft) you would not do it?

As of right now? Based upon what I have seen of Darnold? No... I like at least two other QBs better... but it's early yet. There are two I've not seen at all.

32 minutes ago, CaineDeSoulis said:

I'm always looking ;P. Just so happens to be the browns biggest need... again...

I may not have shared my old stance since you arrived here... It goes like this...

You always have to be looking for your next QB... it is simply a matter of how hard you look.

Clearly we have been in the "look really hard" category... and still may be.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes, where have we heard this before.

A Johnny Manziel who actually cared and didn't have substance abuse issues would've been a Top 15 QB.

Let's do a math problem:

Manziel's talent, fire and competitiveness + a strong work ethic - drugs = Baker Mayfield.

6 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

A Johnny Manziel who actually cared and didn't have substance abuse issues would've been a Top 15 QB.

Let's do a math problem:

Manziel = Baker Mayfield.

What? As they say  FIFY

Even if it wasn't FIFY....Manziel's talent, fire and competitiveness + a strong work ethic - drugs = Baker Mayfield= Brandon Weeden.

There is still something missing:  NFL caliber talent.

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What? As they say  FIFY

Even if it wasn't FIFY....Manziel's talent, fire and competitiveness + a strong work ethic - drugs = Baker Mayfield= Brandon Weeden.

There is still something missing:  NFL caliber talent.

LOL, what fire and competitiveness did Brandon Weeden have? Dude wasn't a warrior, it was easy to tell on and off the field.

And If Baker Mayfield doesn't have NFL caliber talent, then neither did Russell Wilson.

See Below:

IMG_2420.PNG

21 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

LOL, what fire and competitiveness did Brandon Weeden have? Dude wasn't a warrior, it was easy to tell on and off the field.

And If Baker Mayfield doesn't have NFL caliber talent, then neither did Russell Wilson.

See Below:

IMG_2420.PNG

I don't think anyone can equate a college QB with a successful NFL QB.  Tim Tebow lovers thought he would be the rage of the NFL...Manzealots did too....

1. Kellen Moore Boise St.  50-3

1. Colt McCoy, 45-8, 2006-2009, Texas
2. Andy Dalton, 42-7, 2007-2010, TCU
3. David Green, 42-10, 2001-2004, Georgia
4. Peyton Manning, 39-6, 1994-1997, Tennessee
5. Ken Dorsey, 38-2, 2000-2002, Miami
6. Rick Leach, 38-8, 1975-1978, Notre Dame
7. Matt Leinart, 37-2, 2003-2005, USC
8. John Rauch, 36-8, 1945-1948, Georgia
9. Dan Lefevour, 36-15, 2006-2009, Central Michigan
10. Chuck Ealey, 35-0, 1969-1971, Toledo
11. Chad Pennington, 35-4, 1997-1999, Marshall
12. Jay Barker, 35-5, 1991-1994, Alabama
13. Tim Tebow, 35-6, 2006-2009, Florida
14. Eric Crouch, 35-7, 1998-2001, Nebraska
15. Chuck Long, 35-13, 1982-1985, Iowa

You got about 2.5 good NFL QBs from that list.

3 hours ago, Adoug319 said:

Whoever gets Baker Mayfield is going to luck out. Dude is unbelievable.

Been doubted his whole life at every stage, keeps a list of things people say he can't do, and his life revolves around proving people wrong. The most competitive dude I've ever seen.

I really believe Oklahoma will beat Alabama in the national championship this year.

Whoever takes a flyer on him will get a great one

Edit: Doesn't mean I want us to give up on Kizer. Let's give Kizer at least 2 years.

The dude who has RG3 as his avatar made this post, right? 

By the way, this sounds like a miserable way to go through life. Never understood it. 

55 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

Let's do a math problem:

Manziel's talent, fire and competitiveness + a strong work ethic - drugs = Baker Mayfield.

A Johnny Manziel who runs from cops drunk. Should be great. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think anyone can equate a college QB with a successful NFL QB.  Tim Tebow lovers thought he would be the rage of the NFL...Manzealots did too....

1. Kellen Moore Boise St.  50-3

1. Colt McCoy, 45-8, 2006-2009, Texas
2. Andy Dalton, 42-7, 2007-2010, TCU
3. David Green, 42-10, 2001-2004, Georgia
4. Peyton Manning, 39-6, 1994-1997, Tennessee
5. Ken Dorsey, 38-2, 2000-2002, Miami
6. Rick Leach, 38-8, 1975-1978, Notre Dame
7. Matt Leinart, 37-2, 2003-2005, USC
8. John Rauch, 36-8, 1945-1948, Georgia
9. Dan Lefevour, 36-15, 2006-2009, Central Michigan
10. Chuck Ealey, 35-0, 1969-1971, Toledo
11. Chad Pennington, 35-4, 1997-1999, Marshall
12. Jay Barker, 35-5, 1991-1994, Alabama
13. Tim Tebow, 35-6, 2006-2009, Florida
14. Eric Crouch, 35-7, 1998-2001, Nebraska
15. Chuck Long, 35-13, 1982-1985, Iowa

You got about 2.5 good NFL QBs from that list.

Just wait and see my friend

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

The dude who has RG3 as his avatar made this post, right? 

By the way, this sounds like a miserable way to go through life. Never understood it. 

A Johnny Manziel who runs from cops drunk. Should be great. 

You didn't want RG3 to be good when he signed here? I was hoping he'd be good, haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Did anyone else watch the UVA - Boise St. contest last nite?

I caught a few chunks and thought I may have seen a darkhorse candidate... UVA's Kurt Benkert, a 6'4 Sr. Made a few really nice throws including a gem of a 55-yd bomb that dropped into the lap of a streaking WR between two DBs for a TD. Nice poise... was surveying the field... a lot to like.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Did anyone else watch the UVA - Boise St. contest last nite?

I caught a few chunks and thought I may have seen a darkhorse candidate... UVA's Kurt Benkert, a 6'4 Sr. Made a few really nice throws including a gem of a 55-yd bomb that dropped into the lap of a streaking WR between two DBs for a TD. Nice poise... was surveying the field... a lot to like.

No, but I watched the first half of the Wyoming- Hawaii game, got the rest of it on DVR. Have to call it an early night for the trip to Indy.  Could see why there's some buzz about Allen. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Allen  was not very good the first half and I went to bed. I do know he is facing far lessor talent every week than other QBs.

I believe his stats vs the big boys (teams of the top 5 leagues) is pretty 'eh'...

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Feel bad for any top prospect brought into this dumpster fire

That's ok, he'll be written off within three games by the knee-jerk geniuses that make up the overwhelming majority of Browns fans.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's ok, he'll be written off within three games by the knee-jerk geniuses that make up the overwhelming majority of Browns fans.

Knee Jerk now that’s hilarious after enduring the same bullshit year after year.

Newsflash Sunshine Pumpers the Browns have won more than 5 games 1 since 2008.  Gonna be a decade of this shit but yeah those that say the team sucks are the ones quick to overreact, 10 fucking years of proof = overreaction smfh

3 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Knee Jerk now that’s hilarious after enduring the same bullshit year after year.

Newsflash Sunshine Pumpers the Browns have won more than 5 games 1 since 2008.  Gonna be a decade of this shit but yeah those that say the team sucks are the ones quick to overreact, 10 fucking years of proof = overreaction smfh

Saying the Browns are a bad NFL team is not a knee-jerk reaction. That can pretty much be written in stone and placed on Mt. Rushmore, everyone knows this, despite idiots like Ghoolie acting like they are dropping earth-shattering news on us by saying the Browns suck.

What IS a knee-jerk reaction is writing a rookie off three games into his career, especially considering in a perfect world he wouldn't be starting until much later in this season, at the earliest.

If it was all about drops we would be in agreement but Kizer is inaccurate and takes to long to read the field. These were knocks on him in college and typically those things don’t get corrected.  Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Manziel and Colt McCoy all had issues in college but the Browns so desperate to draft the next QB took them and they all had the same flaws as they did in college 

4 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

If it was all about drops we would be in agreement but Kizer is inaccurate and takes to long to read the field. These were knocks on him in college and typically those things don’t get corrected.  Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Manziel and Colt McCoy all had issues in college but the Browns so desperate to draft the next QB took them and they all had the same flaws as they did in college 

The problem is so many college teams use the spread offense, which couldn't be more different than a pro-style offense if it tried. It produces QBs who don't call plays in a huddle, don't make progressions, don't have to fit the ball into tight openings, etc. I absolutely loathe the spread offense, and the #1 reason is that it makes evaluating college QBs a nightmare.

Not only does the spread cause problems regarding QBs at the next level, NFL teams are struggling with OLineman who have shitty run-blocking skills in a pro set, since the spread is such a different animal.

I have been saying the last two years the 2018 qb class is much better than recent years.  We need to build a team around the qb before We pick up a quality rookie.  Last year we built the d stronger and plugged some holes.  Next year we will get a franchise qb.  So enjoy this years ride.

42 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Newsflash Sunshine Pumpers the Browns have won more than 5 games 1 since 2008.

Can I get a decode for the Bold, please? Five opening days? Six or more wins once? Other?

I'd hate to be a Sunshine pumper and not know it...

32 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

These were knocks on him in college and typically those things don’t get corrected.

Actually that's the knock on very nearly every QB coming out of college and some do correct them. But the percentage is not high, which is what makes finding one so difficult and risky.

QBs have always been a crap shoot. The Spread has certainly exasperated things, but so has the ever increasing complexity of passing attacks. Who ever heard of a back-shoulder fade in the 90's?

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Can I get a decode for the Bold, please? Five opening days? Six or more wins once? Other?

I'd hate to be a Sunshine pumper and not know it...

Actually that's the knock on very nearly every QB coming out of college and some do correct them. But the percentage is not high, which is what makes finding one so difficult and risky.

QBs have always been a crap shoot. The Spread has certainly exasperated things, but so has the ever increasing complexity of passing attacks. Who ever heard of a back-shoulder fade in the 90's?

Decoder, only won more than 5 games in a season once since 2008 but sarcasm noted.

And with as many holes as this team has why continue to chase the white whale.  Detroit has had a franchise QB in Stafford since 2009 and they aren’t vastly better than the Browns.

I think even the Hatfields and McCoys will agree that you have to control the line of scrimmage and then make plays.  The Browns have failed to establish an identity for quite some time.  They are mediocre everywhere which is hard to watch.  Each week I’m just holding my breath until one phase of the game collapses.

lol... well it's good to know that good sarcasm did not go to waste...

Yeah, it's hard... but I still see a difference between the path to past failures and what we are doing now. Do the results show that? Nah... not yet, but at least we are not plowing the same field we have for two decades and counting.

As for areas... I feel you. If I said I saw the D collapsing today, I'd be lying. I don't see what Gregg was trying to do today in switching to let WRs run free under five yard cushions. I look forward to his explanation(s).

Here's hoping that STs Game1, Offense Game 2 and Defense game 3 have run us out of options. Hope ain't much of a plan, but it's all we got for now...

8 hours ago, LBC mike said:

I have been saying the last two years the 2018 qb class is much better than recent years.  We need to build a team around the qb before We pick up a quality rookie.  Last year we built the d stronger and plugged some holes.  Next year we will get a franchise qb.  So enjoy this years ride.

Sorry if I'm not enjoying the ride this year. 

Baker Mayfield looks awesome so far. He put his foot straight up the Buckeyes' ass. I haven't seen much NCAAF this season cuz I'm busy on Saturdays, but from the HL's, Rosen and Mayfield seem to be playing the best.

Mayfield seems better at eluding defenses than the cops 

Archived