THE BROWNS BOARD

Who to Root for? Bengals/Texans..and other Survey questions

The Gipper

OK, here is this weeks survey.  Give your answers or opinions:

1. Who should Browns fans root for tonight:   Bengals...division rival or Texans...whose first round pick the Browns hold?

2.  Which team do you honestly think is the better team:  The Steelers, the Ravens or the Bengals?

3. A. Which NFL team impressed you the most with their play in week one?

B. Which NFL team surprised you the most...positively with their play in week one?

C. Which NFL team surprised you the most...negatively with their play in week one?

4. Which players gave the most surprising performance....positively and negatively in Week One?

5. Per one report....the ratings for NFL games were down by 13% from last year.  Do you think this signifies anything?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tough-start-nfl-season-ratings-13-week-1-145729365.html

6. The Cleveland Indians....how long can they keep this up?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My own answers: 

1. Who should Browns fans root for tonight:   Bengals...division rival or Texans...whose first round pick the Browns hold?

This is a tough one. I think the Texans do win....but that does not mean I want them to.  But...I really can't find myself rooting for the pussies. o way...since they are a division rival and I think they stink.  So, I guess it has to be the Texans...but I am not really happy about it. 

2.  Which team do you honestly think is the better team:  The Steelers, the Ravens or the Bengals?

The Steelers, ever so slightly over the Ravens.  Bengals suck swamp water....Browns will likely have better record than them at the end of the year. 

3. A. Which NFL team impressed you the most with their play in week one?  Gotta be the Chiefs

B. Which NFL team surprised you the most...positively with their play in week one? The Jaguars

C. Which NFL team surprised you the most...negatively with their play in week one? Its a tie with the two teams playing tonight: Texan and Bengals.  (Although..you know, that's not true.  It does not actually surprise me that the Bengals stunk it up) So, go Texans.

4. Which players gave the most surprising performance....positively and negatively in Week One?

Positively:  Kareem Hunt of KC.  Along with his QB Alex Smith.  And Jared Goff of the Rams.

Negative:  Candidates are Dalton of Cincy. Adrian Peterson of Saints. Gronkowski...only 2 catches.

5. Per one report....the ratings for NFL games were down by 13% from last year.  Do you think this signifies anything?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tough-start-nfl-season-ratings-13-week-1-145729365.html

I don't think it means that the NFL will collapse or anything....but the bloom may be off the rose...in that the NFL may have seen its peak rating days behind them.  But it will still get more viewers than anything else on TV.

6. The Cleveland Indians....how long can they keep this up?  All the way to the World Series win!!!  (they won't win every game...and it will be tough, but it will be a major disappointment if they don't take it all this year, fair to say?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

EASY- Bengals, we want the Texans to be as bad as possible , since we hold their first and second round picks. The Bungles will stink plenty after this game. 

Steelers, Bengals will finish in the North Basement

B. Which NFL team surprised you the most...positively with their play in week one?

C. Which NFL team surprised you the most...negatively with their play in week one?

Colts, followed by Texans and Bungles. 

Soccer on the upswing, Z isn't going to like it though.   

I hope long enough to get to 27.   

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Got to go with the kittys- want Houston's failure to be our gain. 0-16 baby!

Ravens

Vikings both sides of the ball.

Same

Houston-looked like a disaster zone

Bradford-looked all-world and NO screwed up by adding too many running backs to an offense that works best when Brees is throwing. Another disaster in the making.

The hurricanes took a lot out of everyone's sails.

No  idea-not a huge baseball fan until the WS.

Oh, yea...good point...that I didn't think of.   I mean, the two Florida teams have still not played.   Most of Florida was without power...and about half of Georgia and a good chunk of South Carolina.  (Plus, sorry...those 10:30 pm West coast start times take eyeballs away from the games as well)

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Oh, yea...good point...that I didn't think of.   I mean, the two Florida teams have still not played.   Most of Florida was without power...and about half of Georgia and a good chunk of South Carolina.  (Plus, sorry...those 10:30 pm West coast start times take eyeballs away from the games as well)

10:30 east coast start time.    The Monday night game was  7:30 west coast start time which is silly...no one is staying up till 1:30 am to watch football on the east coast.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Doesn't matter. Rooting does not affect the outcome and it is what pigs do anyway.

Steelers

KC

Browns

Cheatriots

Only saw Browns vs Steelers, so positive, TJTwatt, negative, Labia Bell.

Maybe some people put off by the concussion issue.

Realistically, a game or so. It just ain't humanly possible to go this long without a pitcher having a bad start or someone making an error in a critical situation to cost a ballgame.

13 minutes ago, Mark O said:

10:30 east coast start time.    The Monday night game was  7:30 west coast start time which is silly...no one is staying up till 1:30 am to watch football on the east coast.

Right, that is what I meant...west coast games that start at 10:30 eastern.  But yes, I think the hurricanes had a huge effect on things. 

Doesn't matter. Rooting does not affect the outcome and it is what pigs do anyway.

So, is it "root", or is it "route"?  As in "root, route, root for the home team".  I guess "root" or Cheer" for any of these teams is going a bit far to ask.  Lets just say "who would you prefer to see win".

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

So, is it "root", or is it "route"?  As in "root, route, root for the home team".  I guess "root" or Cheer" for any of these teams is going a bit far to ask.  Lets just say "who would you prefer to see win".

I could only picture a fat guy in front of the TV jumping up and down maniacally while shoving copious volumes of beer and unhealthy food down his bottomless gullet, all while his wife rolls her eyes.

In that case obviously Bungholes for the win, so Browns get better draft picks via Texans.Brock Ostomywearer trade was brilliant, btw. You supposedly can't buy draft picks but essentially they did.

Bengals obviously...

Steelers... and it is not even close.

3. A. Which NFL team impressed you the most with their play in week one? Has to be KC handing the Pats an opening loss at home in prime time.

B. Which NFL team surprised you the most...positively with their play in week one? Detroit... I always underestimate them

C. Which NFL team surprised you the most...negatively with their play in week one? Seattle... I thought they'd fixed, or at least made significant improvement in, their OL play... but they were awful.

Positive: Sam Bradford... he looked really good.

Negative: Eli Manning... I know OBJ was out and NYG's OL is suspect, but a vet of Eli's caliber should bring something noteworthy.

Probably more on-line viewing...

Keep what up?

GO TRIBE!!!

54 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

I used to work at a State farm in Massachusetts.

One day the project was to clear out all the rocks that the pigs had dug up in the pig pen. We worked all day about 4 of us and completed the job. Looked great. We came back the next day and the pigs had worked through the night rooting up more rocks.

Uhm....the State farm in Massachusetts?   That would be a prison.  So you are saying you were in prison?

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Bengals, they are not the division rival to worry about.

Steelers

KC

Vikings

Texans

I'd say Goff and Dalton, but neither of those were really surprising to me...Didn't pay enough attention to answer

I would say there's more online viewers - but I would think legal online viewers would count towards the ratings. And would also think illegal online viewers don't account for anywhere close to 13%. Hurricane Irma was definitely a part of it, also.

Only a Cleveland team can have the longest winning streak and have controversy around it...

The 1916 NY Giants had a 26 game unbeaten streak. Having a tie somewhere in the middle.

The 2017 Indians have a 21 game winning streak.

I believe they will remove all doubt, sweep the royals and take the first two against the Angels - to set a new indisputable record of 27 games in a row.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Let the speech professor handle this;)..All for you Gip. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/root  I deliver mail on Route 4..I'll get back to this later, I got to release a root(4) (pew)

Ah...well....

37 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Only a Cleveland team can have the longest winning streak and have controversy around it...

The 1916 NY Giants had a 26 game unbeaten streak. Having a tie somewhere in the middle.

The 2017 Indians have a 21 game winning streak.

I believe they will remove all doubt, sweep the royals and take the first two against the Angels - to set a new indisputable record of 27 games in a row.

Ah Well.....it is NOT just the Cleveland baseball team that has a controversy.   There is some in the NFL as well.

Note this:

Most Consecutive Games Without a Defeat - 25 - Canton Bulldogs, 1921-23 (won 22, tied 3)

Also, note this:

21 Games

Win Date Opponent, Score
1 Oct. 5 Tennessee Titans, 38-30
2 Oct. 12 New York Giants, 17-6
3 Oct. 19 at Miami Dolphins, 19-13 (OT)
4 Oct. 26 Cleveland Browns, 9-3
5 Nov. 3 at Denver Broncos, 30-26
6 Nov. 16 Dallas Cowboys, 12-0
7 Nov. 23 at Houston Texans, 23-20 (OT)
8 Nov. 30 at Indianapolis Colts, 38-34
9 Dec. 7 Miami Dolphins, 12-0
10 Dec. 14 Jacksonville Jaguars, 27-13
11 Dec. 20 at New York Jets, 21-16
12 Dec. 27 Buffalo Bills, 31-0
13 Jan. 10 * Tennessee Titans, 17-14
14 Jan. 18 ** Indianapolis Colts, 24-14
15 Feb. 1 ** Carolina Panthers, 32-29
16 Sept. 9 Indianapolis Colts, 27-24
17 Sept. 19 at Arizona Cardinals, 23-12
18 Oct. 3 at Buffalo, 31-17
19 Oct. 10 Miami Dolphins, 24-10
20 Oct. 17 Seattle Seahawks, 30-20
21 Oct. 24 New York Jets, 13-7
Streak Ended Oct. 31 at Pittsburgh Steelers, 20-34

So, here is the deal.....Patriots had a 21 game win streak...Bulldogs had a 25 game unbeaten streak....because of ties.  But note: the Patriots won 2 games during their win streak in OT.   If the Pats had been playing under the same rules as the Bulldogs...then they too would have had games end in ties....and they would not have had a 21 game win streak. Fortuneatly for them they won both OT games.   Bulldogs had no option of playing any OT at the time. So, in comparison...the unbeaten streak of the Bulldogs may be more impressive than the unbeaten streak of the Patriots. 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Let the speech professor handle this;)..All for you Gip. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/root  I deliver mail on Route 4..I'll get back to this later, I got to release a root(4) (pew)

I had no idea the song was this old... NKC... one of the great voices and a very underappreciated jazz pianist...

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

This is the 2nd game of the season, so OBVIOUSLY you have to root for your division rivals to lose.  

I say 'obviously'....unless you can guarantee me that the Browns will not be anywhere near making the playoffs.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

I say 'obviously'....unless you can guarantee me that the Browns will not be anywhere near making the playoffs.

Not sure about guarantee, but I can give you 15:1 odds against...

Archived