THE BROWNS BOARD

Is It Time To Promote Dayes?

TexasAg1969

3 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Not sure l would jump the gun so quickly. First game, new oline playing 4 quarters for the first time, new QB, maybe knocking off some rust. I mean, maybe you're right, but Crow has had some success in the past and l think there are enough variables to let him go at it a bit longer.

Agreed.  Even after the Ravens game, I would not promote Dayes.  Their D will be just as tough or tougher than the Steelers.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/129986/isaiah-crowell-bottled-up-week-1.php

I'm sorry but the crow is not the answer at RB. Dayes at least has vision.

First... fantasypros? lol...

Second, yes, Crow has vision issues... always has and I noted them heavily last year. BUT he is a more complete back than Dayes at present and the difference is blitz pick up and playbook command.

I like Dayes vision. I like his hands. But let Dayes grow a little more... let him ease into more snaps (which seems likely as Duke spends more time split out)... and maybe down the road Dayes takes over, but not now.

One note on "playbook command"... check out his 1st Qtr screen reception. Given the blocking duo of Tretter and Zeitler, who were the only two to release, I think it was meant to be a middle screen. Dayes turned it out and to the left giving T and Z no chance to get involved.

Crow's a decent back, give him time. My only negative on him is he seems to trip on his own feet a lot.

Dates will get plenty of playing time. Ease him in for now. 

Who knows; with moneyb all, it may be Crow's last season in Cle

I want to see Dayes durability running in-between the NFL Tackles not college.Duke did not seem to have it. Crow just seems blind & Clumsy but is more of a physical runner with more durability as a banger with good ball protection. 2 weird thoughts..#1. Zona's RB-David Johnson , broken wrist out till Oct/Nov...If SB does not see things working out Again with Rosenhaus? (i don't) Why not now with Zona, b4 trade deadline? Were not going anywhere.. I would think Zona would value Crow higher at this point now..Yes Johnson will return but have you ever had a broken wrist returning to football? Rent a player that's going FA anyhow? #2. I liked the way Terrance McGee ran during pre-season anywho if Crow Flys. Now that RB-Danny Woodhead is done for season with Ravens I got no clue why Ravens have not stole McGee back from our PS?...SSHhhh..   

10 minutes ago, syd said:

would he be better at picking up a blitz ?

the real question would be...Why is Vitale here if he can't pick-up a blitz:mellow: imo they trust Dayes just as much as Duke in blitz pick-up

41 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

... weird thoughts..#1. Zona's RB-David Johnson , broken wrist out till Oct/Nov...If SB does not see things working out Again with Rosenhaus? (i don't) Why not now with Zona, b4 trade deadline?   

Doesn't AZ run the ZBS? Crow really sucks at that.

We need some QB under Center, I-formation smash-mouth shit... Let Vitale find the hole, hit what's in it and tell Crow to cut off his ass.

K.I.S.S.

29 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Doesn't AZ run the ZBS? Crow really sucks at that.

We need some QB under Center, I-formation smash-mouth shit... Let Vitale find the hole, hit what's in it and tell Crow to cut off his ass.

K.I.S.S.

Follow the fullback, keeps Crow from thinking too much.  

I didn't see too many runs with a leading fullback last game? I think with our Oline and a good run blocking fullback that we could have some success. But we need to impose our will and push the Defense around just a little to get their attention. Smash mouth football a few times a quarter will help to open them up I'd think. :) 

11 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I didn't see too many runs with a leading fullback last game?

... and I can't remember seeing Kizer under Center much...

Remember the saying that RBs are a dime a dozen or always available in the lower rounds of the draft? Might not be true everytime plus the OL has some influence here, keep Crow, promote Dayes is that a short or long term fix? We'll see on all of that I guess.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Remember the saying that RBs are a dime a dozen or always available in the lower rounds of the draft? Might not be true everytime plus the OL has some influence here, keep Crow, promote Dayes is that a short or long term fix? We'll see on all of that I guess.

And remember where we got Crow....wasn't he a UDFA?  Or  a very late round pick.

Archived