THE BROWNS BOARD

Who was the best defensive player on the browns last sunday?

Clevfan4life

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Ummm... no.

Height, 40 time and splits, and standing broad jump were comparable... and TJ actually edged Myles in the 10-yd split (1.59 to 1.64). Everything else is heavily in Myles' favor...

And everything equals: bench (33-21), vertical (41-37) and 3-cone (4.57-4.76). Plus there's weight (272-252) and arm-length (35.25-33.125).

Injury-wise TJ appeared in all of 22 games at Wisconsin and only started his final year. So I have no idea on his injury history... and neither do you. But we know Garrett's... 3-year starter... 34 games... missed one start.

Data's a bitch ain't it?

myles 2016 season was plagued with an ankle injury that limited his production, myles had an unknown injury at the beginning of training camp and another ankle tweak mid preseason and another injury that is making him sit out for the next month. tj has had double knee surgery in his playing career and nothing since.

Myles is injury prone but has the physical skills and talent to overcome that in college, Not so much in the nfl. That is the current perception and is true UNTIL proven otherwise.

As to their physical traits being vastly different i refer to the fact both athletes are top 5 percentile edge rushers in the nfl currently. Myles with a Sparq of 149.3 and TJ with a Sparq of 142.0, Mathmatically a less than 5% difference. I'll also point out that they play different positions Linebacker and DE, Am I suggesting we screwed up by not taking TJ at #1 overall? Hell no! Myles has a ton of potential if he can catch a break and shake the injury bug. Am i suggusting we may have made a mistake not taking him at #27 rather than Njoku? Probably

37 minutes ago, CaineDeSoulis said:

myles 2016 season was plagued with an ankle injury that limited his production, myles had an unknown injury at the beginning of training camp and another ankle tweak mid preseason and another injury that is making him sit out for the next month. tj has had double knee surgery in his playing career and nothing since.

Myles is injury prone but has the physical skills and talent to overcome that in college, Not so much in the nfl. That is the current perception and is true UNTIL proven otherwise.

As to their physical traits being vastly different i refer to the fact both athletes are top 5 percentile edge rushers in the nfl currently. Myles with a Sparq of 149.3 and TJ with a Sparq of 142.0, Mathmatically a less than 5% difference. I'll also point out that they play different positions Linebacker and DE, Am I suggesting we screwed up by not taking TJ at #1 overall? Hell no! Myles has a ton of potential if he can catch a break and shake the injury bug. Am i suggusting we may have made a mistake not taking him at #27 rather than Njoku? Probably

So? Trubisky then?

Probably a better reply than I deserved, but I don't speak "sparq"...

Position-wise... one is a 4-3 DE and the other a 3-4 LB. Watt may have the chops to play in a 4-3, but that's not a given. If I take a LB in place of Njoku, his name would have been Foster.

Again one injury in three years of college ball does not "injury-prone" make... and none in one does not make a player bulletproof. That we'll simply have to disagree upon...

everybody making excuses for why watt had a great game and was named defensive rookie of the week, but if glass garrett had those stats we would be fitting him with a bronze bust in Canton already.

3 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

everybody making excuses for why watt had a great game and was named defensive rookie of the week, but if glass garrett had those stats we would be fitting him with a bronze bust in Canton already.

Not if his sacks came on ben holding the ball as long as kizer did. Some of us have an eye for these things. 

It pisses me off to no end when these teams at the bottom of the draft get these players that are better than what we take at the top of the draft.

I thought that Nassib did very good as he always has. I liked what I saw from Showtime, he's really impressing me this year. I liked him last year but I didn't like him as an outside LB. In the middle though?> Damn he's fire. 

3 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

It pisses me off to no end when these teams at the bottom of the draft get these players that are better than what we take at the top of the draft.

It's only Week 1... better pace yourself.

3 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It's only Week 1... better pace yourself.

My first chance to vent, not sure I'm done yet.

Look i like that watt kid, if we had stayed in the 3-4 i woyldnt have been adverse to taking him. But he's not his brother, not even close. So we need to calm down a bit. JJ in his prime was pretty much one of THE most physically gifted DL the NFL has EVER seen. This panic that the steelers got the next JJ is right now completely unfounded. He's a high motor kid line his brother so he's going to make scrappy plays if some dumbass qb holds the ball too long. He's not tearing through IL like his brother was from day one.

Last sunday nassib was far more in roethlisbergers vicinity than watt was in kizers. But because we have a rookie qb and a struggling OL when watt did get close he was able to make a play. On at least 4-5 plays off the top of my head i know that nassib was a cunt hair from grabbing hold of roethlisberger. Its bens pocket awareness that kept our pressure from sacking him, but he was still getting rid of the ball way earlier than he wanted. 

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

So you're saying TJ held Joe... I'll look for that when I grade our OL.

I'm not sure, maybe unnecessary roughness. He didn't have to flip him.

I was going to post the video, but felt it would get deleted.

But I'll give it a shot.

Also, not sure why this is a freeze frame video.

The lower black screen.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/12/check-out-t-j-watt-with-the-sweet-hip-toss-on-joe-thomas/

4 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Look i like that watt kid, if we had stayed in the 3-4 i woyldnt have been adverse to taking him. But he's not his brother, not even close.

And who the fuck are you to make that call?

According to JJ his little bro is light years ahead of him at this point in his career.

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Probably a better reply than I deserved, but I don't speak "sparq"...

Position-wise... one is a 4-3 DE and the other a 3-4 LB. Watt may have the chops to play in a 4-3, but that's not a given. If I take a LB in place of Njoku, his name would have been Foster.

Again one injury in three years of college ball does not "injury-prone" make... and none in one does not make a player bulletproof. That we'll simply have to disagree upon...

That wasn't Garrett's only injury. They may not have kept him from starting, but he was/is most certainly injury prone. 

3 hours ago, StinkHole said:

I'm not sure, maybe unnecessary roughness. He didn't have to flip him.

I was going to post the video, but felt it would get deleted.

But I'll give it a shot.

Also, not sure why this is a freeze frame video.

The lower black screen.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/12/check-out-t-j-watt-with-the-sweet-hip-toss-on-joe-thomas/

I see a guy that did absolutely nothing to contribute to his team there. Congrats. 

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

I see a guy that did absolutely nothing to contribute to his team there. Congrats. 

So? Not really the point.

If you call that not contributing, then you could find a player who did absolutely nothing to contribute on almost every play.

I said Watt flipped Thomas. He presumed Thomas was held. I posted the video. 

I'm sure that if an all pro Steeler O lineman got taken down Judo style by a browns rookie LB 70 lbs. lighter, your sentiments would be quite different.

You'd make a thread about it.

Tried playing the vid link, but no go for me...

EDIT: Got it on 2nd attempt. Stop motion is just the series of shots taken by photographer with a healthy zoom lens.

lol... well the play was over. TJ got face-planted and did not like it. You can't hip-flip without holding.

On another note I'm not sure where the stated 70# weight differential is coming from. Joe doesn't play at 320+.

7 hours ago, wargograw said:

That wasn't Garrett's only injury. They may not have kept him from starting, but he was/is most certainly injury prone.

As you are well aware, there is a difference between pain and injury. What besides the high-ankle sprain in year 3 affected his play?

Odell Beckham had a high ankle sprain from their preseason game with the Browns....which was a month ago, and he still is not back on the field.  I suspect that Garrett will miss at least the first 4 games....maybe 6. 

So...who was in there to "step up"?  Was that Orchard...or Nassib, a rotation of the two, or Holmes? Or someone else.  Whoever it was....they are likely going to have to go that route well into October.

13 hours ago, StinkHole said:

So? Not really the point.

If you call that not contributing, then you could find a player who did absolutely nothing to contribute on almost every play.

I said Watt flipped Thomas. He presumed Thomas was held. I posted the video. 

I'm sure that if an all pro Steeler O lineman got taken down Judo style by a browns rookie LB 70 lbs. lighter, your sentiments would be quite different.

You'd make a thread about it.

You clearly never wrestled. What he did is not that hard if you position yourself properly, even against someone much bigger. He got beat on the play. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Tried playing the vid link, but no go for me...

EDIT: Got it on 2nd attempt. Stop motion is just the series of shots taken by photographer with a healthy zoom lens.

lol... well the play was over. TJ got face-planted and did not like it. You can't hip-flip without holding.

On another note I'm not sure where the stated 70# weight differential is coming from. Joe doesn't play at 320+.

As you are well aware, there is a difference between pain and injury. What besides the high-ankle sprain in year 3 affected his play?

He had a lull of mediocrity as a junior from some injury. Don't remember what it was and don't feel like digging through the insider posts on Texags to find it. He also tailed off as a freshman IIRC which everyone chalked up to being dinged up. Just trust me on this one. He is injury prone. 

Archived