THE BROWNS BOARD

This is what happens in the absence of unions....

Clevfan4life

Unions are certainly flawed because humans run them, but at their base function they prevent this kind of bullshit...

https://theoutline.com/post/2225/evacuate-for-hurricane-lose-your-job?utm_source=TW

i wonder if those supervisors were going to be there or just told their employees they had to show up but they themselves got the fuck out....??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

That's odd, when I was a member of the Steelworkers Union we were told by the company AND the union to report for work during a blizzard.

Now... maybe this is just me.   But I feel like there might be a small difference between a blizzard and what could be called a Category 6 Hurricane?

18 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

That's odd, when I was a member of the Steelworkers Union we were told by the company AND the union to report for work during a blizzard.

A case where ur union bosses were 69'ing with company execs. So a deeply flawed union. A real union would say nope nuh uh, our guys are not driving on roads unlikely to have seen a plow or salt unless the company is willingto foot the bill for any and all dng's incurred and any fees related to calling for tows. 

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I'm well aware of the 'why' for the category system and how 5 is considered total destruction.    That being said,  there are always bound to be several things that survival at certain wind speeds when others don't regardless of the rating top out.     I guess I was just being a smartass about it. 

unions often are as much a vice as they are a virtue...some unions are self-perpetuating - when things are going

great and fair, they ramp up their bickering to have a cause, and to justify their existence as far as union bosses

salaries... like the deep state in our fed gov. Unions have stopped a lot of unfairness - and have also created

havoc where there didn't need to be any at all. Big unions are drunk on political power. The idea that "right to work"

means invalidating unions is nonsense, liberal-style. If you work for a company that is doing all the right things,

why continually pay dues to a union that does nothing to benefit it's members? Let a company start screwing around...

and unions will grow, and any right to work person will start paying dues. But going on strike to get a nickle an hour raise,

means you lose so much money, you would never make it back. But the union bosses get more power, and the management

and workers get more and more alienated.

Now, given that so much of American managment is corrupt/belligerent/greedy, etc...unions have their place. But on my last

consultancy as a corp programmer/analyst/business analyst... my supervisor was an old union guy, who was always staunch

union. But the union became a monster when it wasn't necessary - fighting "windmills" just to have a reason to keep making

their union boss salaries. He got fed up with it.

More times than not Unions drive up the cost of product. It is no wonder Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel went belly up. I worked for the company and saw the work a lot of those guys did. SLEEP while on the job all along bitching that they should be making more money...........Now since I worked at the Admin building I made a set amount And did not belong to the union When I had to go see somebody at a different plant I would see some guys sleeping, Go back thru 3 or 4 hours later and......still sleeping. I am not saying they deserved to lose their jobs but when the cost of US steel was so high because they paid their people such high wages, China did no such thing so their product was not so much. BTW When a Japan company did buy steel from Wheeling-Pitt, the upstanding guys would right "Fat man" or Little boy" on the steel coils.

When I got out of the Army in 1973, it was hard finding a job.  I ended up driving a taxi for awhile with Yellow cab in Cleveland, the old Checker automobiles.  We HAD to join the Teamsters union to be hired.  They took out quite a chunk of change each month, no matter how much you made.  It was a huge scam.  And it didn't benefit the drivers one bit.  

Image result for checker cab pic

When I bought a Chevy in 2011  I contacted a union foreman at the plant that makes the Cruze there in Ohio and told him I was custom ordering it through the local dealer. He went out of his way to inform the line workers and they took pictures of themselves working on it as it went through the assembly line. They then had that made into a book for me which that foreman presented to me on a  trip down here to visit his daughter in San Antonio shortly after the Cruze was delivered to me. We had a long talk about the transformation of the unions and what he was doing personally to be sure they got out "the old guard" to make an operating union that actually had the company and it's customers interests first. If you ever get a chance I'd recommend anyone to  visit that assembly plant in Lordstown. Talk to the union members about that transformation. I think you will be as impressed as I was.

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Some would really like Texas and it's "Right to Work" laws which allow people to work and NOT be a part of a union. In practice it effectively outlaws unions.

Which also in effect, bolsters the right wing agenda.

It's an effective catch-phrase, this RTW. What the goal really is is to cut campaign contributions to the D party. If the Rs would just actually try and show they are not anti-union, anti-blue collar, then it wouldn't be necessary. 

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

It's an effective catch-phrase, this RTW. What the goal really is is to cut campaign contributions to the D party. If the Rs would just actually try and show they are not anti-union, anti-blue collar, then it wouldn't be necessary. 

In other words working people probably wouldn't flood the DNC coffers unless they were forced to buy their unions.

WSS

14 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

In other words working people probably wouldn't flood the DNC coffers unless they were forced to buy their unions.

WSS

Forced isn't the right word.

It's not like their flooding the coffers either. Yes, the great majority of union PACs donate to the DNC/candidates, mainly because (like I wrote earlier), the Rs haven't been friendly. The Ds support collective bargaining, Rs don't- it's that simple. If you are a contracted employee, it only makes sense to back a candidate that supports collective bargaining. 

19 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I would have no problems at all with unions if the company have the option to replace them with people who actually wanted the jobs. Without that there's no equity whatsoever.

WSS

Well heres the problem steve-o, these companies would say any of the employees who didnt want to show to work in 155mph+ winds clearly dont want to work. If u cant spin a fucking pizza with water coming in the door and the roof peeling off, what kind of a lazy fuck are u?

6 hours ago, Bob806 said:

oh, bullhockey. Why should republicans in a union be forced to pay unions dues, only to have the union be

completyely pro-democratic? I support right to work laws. If my union screws around and is worthless, i"m not paying their dues because I just left. IT's a freakin FREE country. But dems always want to force other people to do their bidding...

4 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Forced isn't the right word.

It's not like their flooding the coffers either. Yes, the great majority of union PACs donate to the DNC/candidates, mainly because (like I wrote earlier), the Rs haven't been friendly. The Ds support collective bargaining, Rs don't- it's that simple. If you are a contracted employee, it only makes sense to back a candidate that supports collective bargaining. 

sure sounds like extortion to me. Collective bargaining is fine, but collective "we'll break your company unless you

give in to our unnecessary demands" isn't just collective bargaining. URW retirees had their pension insurance cut

more than a couple of times - the union gave the retirees the finger, to keep their current members status quo.

Oh yeah, retirees don't pay the union dues that go to political PACS. that was garbage. Why should someone be

forced to pay their union dues for all those years, then get the cold shoulder after they retire? That's low.

Right to work laws would keep unions honest in their negotiations for retirees. You screw over the retirees, the

union members see what is going on and stop paying dues. Without right to work, unions aren't held accountable to

it's members and retirees.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

oh, bullhockey. Why should republicans in a union be forced to pay unions dues, only to have the union be

completyely pro-democratic? I support right to work laws. If my union screws around and is worthless, i"m not paying their dues because I just left. IT's a freakin FREE country. But dems always want to force other people to do their bidding...

Then you should have no right to be represented whatsoever.

You belong to a church, you put money in the collection basket. You belong to the Elks Club, you pay. Bowling league, golf league, you pay. 

You belong to your local Republican club, you pay. They bring up issues/candidates to endorse, you vote on them. Majority wins....just like in a union shop.

It's  not really hard to understand.

Archived