Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DieHardBrownsFan

NFL struggles in LA

Recommended Posts

wargograw    220
4 hours ago, miktoxic said:

florida and az are the worse for driver inability. snowbirds who have their left blinker on for 10 miles and then make a right turn doing 2.5 mph.........or it's the old "i thought it was in reverse!" as they slam through the 7 eleven killing 10 kids.

Lol. In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "that's a legal maneuver in Florida, it's called an eventual left."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjp28    156
2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Texans and Floridians are the worst drivers.

Florida drivers will run you off the road. Many are likely from NY which is another state where you take your life in your hands.

Texas has 2 types of drivers - #1 The driver that only drives in the left hand passing lane 5 miles under the speed limit. All they see is open road ahead of them because there is a line of 50 cars cars bottled up behind who are trapped there and cannot cant get around.  Oblivious to the surroundings. # 2 - The driver who has to drive 10 mph faster than the fastest car already on the road. You will know when you see one because he will find you and tailgate 5" from your bumper. If driver # 1 is blocking the left lane then your right lane just became the faster lane by default.

 

I remember my first few trips to Tex-ass in the late 1970s and early 1980s in particular I was told 1. 53% of all drivers had no insurance and 2. there is no zoning.

Both can screw up your day or life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasAg1969    589
9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Did not know it was legal, but they are pretty chill about it... going faster, but not fast. And not weaving... just riding the stripes.

I had a Rocket bike pass me on I-20 driving home from the kiddo's place in August. Must have been doing 150... I never saw him coming. Barely saw him going. Passed me on the right a few car lengths after I'd completed a pass and maybe 10 lengths shy of starting another pass. Had I elected to tuck in, he'd have been in my back seat.

To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boo fagley    137
38 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I remember my first few trips to Tex-ass in the late 1970s and early 1980s in particular I was told 1. 53% of all drivers had no insurance and 2. there is no zoning.

Both can screw up your day or life.

When I was living there, if you bought a used car the plates were already on the car and stayed with the vehicle for life. I dont recall any sticker to affix proving that they were valid and up to date. The police would have to run the tag number to find out if the vehicle was registered.

Today you would get busted in a week because they have those licence plate scanners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,169
5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

And that may in fact be what it was all about. Like someone said: image...and greed. I mean, face it.... IF the Chargers really felt they had to leave SD, they would likely have been better off becoming the San Antonio Chargers. But, Jeremiah Jackass would never want a team to intrude on what he thinks is HIS territory in San Antone (by the way...it is actually split between the Cowgirls and the DATs) 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,169
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

Imagine a guy doing 100+ in traffic.....and also having above a .30  BAC.   I have seen that and worse in matters that have come before me.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark O    431
5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

One of these times the NFL is going get burned on a northern Super Bowl where it really snows causing a mess and where everyone has a terrible experience. The Jerry Jones Super Bowl was a near disaster and it hardly snowed. 1/2" of snow on the ground and Texans abandon their cars on the side of the road and grocery store shelves for milk and bread are bare.

This is like no NFL stadium that I have ever seen. https://la.curbed.com/2015/1/12/10003190/the-high-public-cost-of-the-proposed-inglewood-nfl-stadium

 

LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,169
16 minutes ago, Mark O said:

 

LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  :PB)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark O    431
Just now, The Gipper said:

Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  :PB)

 

Nope...I don't have any clue.   Although depends on your definition of "near".   I'm about 50-60 miles from downtown LA.   So I guess that could be considered near.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tour2ma    1,424
5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

#1 The driver that only drives in the left hand passing lane 5 miles under the speed limit.

Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tour2ma    1,424
1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

When I was living there, if you bought a used car the plates were already on the car and stayed with the vehicle for life. I dont recall any sticker to affix proving that they were valid and up to date. The police would have to run the tag number to find out if the vehicle was registered.

Today you would get busted in a week because they have those licence plate scanners.

Moved here in the mid-70's and there were stickers for the rear plate until they went to the window decal maybe 20 years ago?

But plates used to have to stay with the car. Now seller has the option of keeping (retiring) the plates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,169
16 minutes ago, Mark O said:

 

Nope...I don't have any clue.   Although depends on your definition of "near".   I'm about 50-60 miles from downtown LA.   So I guess that could be considered near.

Just bustin' your chops, chopper! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,169
11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

Well, that is going to be part of my route in October, hopefull.   So...I-10 is now good to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boo fagley    137
2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

I noticed there were Cajuns thick as flies when I was there in 2014. I saw lots of NO Saints bars and restaurants.

True about the right hand lane pounded by the trucks. But 45 south out of Dallas isnt like that and they still own the left lane. In Dallas heading north on 69 its the same thing. The road is virtually brand new and you will see a 55 mph in a 60 mph pace car leading the pack in the left lane. Same with I - 10 off 610 on the west side where it turns into 7 lanes wide where the LLLs get their pick of the litter.

Its a ticket here if you road hog the passing lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boo fagley    137
3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Imagine a guy doing 100+ in traffic.....and also having above a .30  BAC.   I have seen that and worse in matters that have come before me.

I would say that is very common today.

First DUI offense here you get a Breathalyzer machine put on your car at your expense and have to pay a monthly rental. 3 DUIs in a certain period and its off to jail. Ive known people waiting  to plead on 1 DUI and they get another DUI before making it to court. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark O    431

USC outdraws the Chargers and Rams combined this past weekend....

 

For their regular-season home opener at the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, the Chargers attracted 25,381 fans. The Rams, in their Week Two game against Washington, had 56,612 present. That’s a total of 81,993 for a pair of Los Angeles home games played on the same day.

The previous night at the Coliseum, USC drew 84,714 for a game against Texas. Which, obviously, is more than the combined attendance of the two NFL games.

Yes, the Chargers were closer to the stadium maximum than the Rams. But the fact that the Chargers can’t sell 27,000 tickets to an NFL game is alarming, especially since San Diego State drew more than 43,000 to the venue the Chargers abandoned a day earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark O    431
Just now, LondonBrown said:

Apparently half the soccer stadium were Fins fans as well

More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2017 at 10:58 AM, The Gipper said:

Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  :PB)

Must be for the unique weather. You know, floods during a drought followed by fire and then earthquake season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mark O said:

More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

I don't think charging $100 to park helped anything either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gipper    1,169
4 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

I don't think charging $100 to park helped anything either

Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark O    431
10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Canton Dawg    262
32 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

100 bucks to park??? Yeah...that will really bring'em to the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×