THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL struggles in LA

DieHardBrownsFan

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Depending on time of day you bet... but I have to say Cali drivers are among the best I've been on the road with.

A year ago tooling around Sacramento over to the Bay Area and up to NAPA when traffic got a little heavy folks just slowed, stayed in their lanes and stayed reasonably spaced... for the most part... there's always a couple ass-hats, but far fewer than in Texas... or the NE, which is off the fuckin'-ass-hole charts... especially Connecticut.

And in Cali it's legal for motorcycles to go between cars lined up in two lanes (or more). Amazing!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And in Cali it's legal for motorcycles to go between cars lined up in two lanes (or more). Amazing!

Did not know it was legal, but they are pretty chill about it... going faster, but not fast. And not weaving... just riding the stripes.

I had a Rocket bike pass me on I-20 driving home from the kiddo's place in August. Must have been doing 150... I never saw him coming. Barely saw him going. Passed me on the right a few car lengths after I'd completed a pass and maybe 10 lengths shy of starting another pass. Had I elected to tuck in, he'd have been in my back seat.

LA has been terrible-horrible-no-good for the Raiders since the beginning of time .. was a Raiders game ever not blacked out at home? .. and now they think it's magically delicious enough for 2 different teams? At least the Raiders were fake bad-ass so LA could half cheer for that.. Can't say the same for Rams and Chargers..

When I lived in Baltimore and DC seemingly once a month I'd be driving somewhere and I'd see a [the?] bike gang riding the outerbelt doing standup rear peg wheelies at 70mph.. Luckily, the hospital always needs more trauma level 1 visits..

I lived in LA for 12 years.  If you're not winning,  they're not watching.  Way too many teams to follow,  and even way more shit to do.  It's sunny every day with anything you could possibly want to do available pretty much 24/7.

And the traffic is just crazy.  You better have a damn good reason for people to get on the 405 out here.  Cleveland traffic in a freak blizzard at rush hour is still lighter than LA at 8pm or 10pm on a weekday.  

florida and az are the worse for driver inability. snowbirds who have their left blinker on for 10 miles and then make a right turn doing 2.5 mph.........or it's the old "i thought it was in reverse!" as they slam through the 7 eleven killing 10 kids.

4 hours ago, miktoxic said:

florida and az are the worse for driver inability. snowbirds who have their left blinker on for 10 miles and then make a right turn doing 2.5 mph.........or it's the old "i thought it was in reverse!" as they slam through the 7 eleven killing 10 kids.

Lol. In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "that's a legal maneuver in Florida, it's called an eventual left."

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Texans and Floridians are the worst drivers.

Florida drivers will run you off the road. Many are likely from NY which is another state where you take your life in your hands.

Texas has 2 types of drivers - #1 The driver that only drives in the left hand passing lane 5 miles under the speed limit. All they see is open road ahead of them because there is a line of 50 cars cars bottled up behind who are trapped there and cannot cant get around.  Oblivious to the surroundings. # 2 - The driver who has to drive 10 mph faster than the fastest car already on the road. You will know when you see one because he will find you and tailgate 5" from your bumper. If driver # 1 is blocking the left lane then your right lane just became the faster lane by default.

I remember my first few trips to Tex-ass in the late 1970s and early 1980s in particular I was told 1. 53% of all drivers had no insurance and 2. there is no zoning.

Both can screw up your day or life.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Did not know it was legal, but they are pretty chill about it... going faster, but not fast. And not weaving... just riding the stripes.

I had a Rocket bike pass me on I-20 driving home from the kiddo's place in August. Must have been doing 150... I never saw him coming. Barely saw him going. Passed me on the right a few car lengths after I'd completed a pass and maybe 10 lengths shy of starting another pass. Had I elected to tuck in, he'd have been in my back seat.

To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

5 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

And that may in fact be what it was all about. Like someone said: image...and greed. I mean, face it.... IF the Chargers really felt they had to leave SD, they would likely have been better off becoming the San Antonio Chargers. But, Jeremiah Jackass would never want a team to intrude on what he thinks is HIS territory in San Antone (by the way...it is actually split between the Cowgirls and the DATs) 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

To do 100 anything in traffic is a suicide waiting to happen. Sooner or later some fool changes lanes without signaling and it's all over but the funeral. My son bought one this summer and I have been doing my very best to teach him defensive driving for motorcylists. Hard to transfer all my experience into usable words, but he seems to be getting it. I've drilled in "invisibility" and "escape routes" until the cows come in.

Imagine a guy doing 100+ in traffic.....and also having above a .30  BAC.   I have seen that and worse in matters that have come before me.

Im willing to wager that LA will get multiple Super Bowls because of the climate.

One of these times the NFL is going get burned on a northern Super Bowl where it really snows causing a mess and where everyone has a terrible experience. The Jerry Jones Super Bowl was a near disaster and it hardly snowed. 1/2" of snow on the ground and Texans abandon their cars on the side of the road and grocery store shelves for milk and bread are bare.

This is like no NFL stadium that I have ever seen. https://la.curbed.com/2015/1/12/10003190/the-high-public-cost-of-the-proposed-inglewood-nfl-stadium

LA already has the super bowl in like 2021 or 2022 and they will probably have one every 4 years or so after that. 

Just now, The Gipper said:

Why on God's Green Earth would anyone ever choose to live anywhere near LA anyway.   Can anyone here explain that?  :PB)

Nope...I don't have any clue.   Although depends on your definition of "near".   I'm about 50-60 miles from downtown LA.   So I guess that could be considered near.

#1 The driver that only drives in the left hand passing lane 5 miles under the speed limit.

Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

When I was living there, if you bought a used car the plates were already on the car and stayed with the vehicle for life. I dont recall any sticker to affix proving that they were valid and up to date. The police would have to run the tag number to find out if the vehicle was registered.

Today you would get busted in a week because they have those licence plate scanners.

Moved here in the mid-70's and there were stickers for the rear plate until they went to the window decal maybe 20 years ago?

But plates used to have to stay with the car. Now seller has the option of keeping (retiring) the plates.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Sounds like the "I-10 experience"... Trust me, any of that in Texas is all "the Cajun factor".

Louisiana was the worst for Left-Lane-Lovers, but for good reason. The right lane on I-10 across Louisiana used to be a fucking washboard. The left lane was much better, so...

Then after Katrina the LLL's came to Texas... but they get better.

Well, that is going to be part of my route in October, hopefull.   So...I-10 is now good to go?

USC outdraws the Chargers and Rams combined this past weekend....

For their regular-season home opener at the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, the Chargers attracted 25,381 fans. The Rams, in their Week Two game against Washington, had 56,612 present. That’s a total of 81,993 for a pair of Los Angeles home games played on the same day.

The previous night at the Coliseum, USC drew 84,714 for a game against Texas. Which, obviously, is more than the combined attendance of the two NFL games.

Yes, the Chargers were closer to the stadium maximum than the Rams. But the fact that the Chargers can’t sell 27,000 tickets to an NFL game is alarming, especially since San Diego State drew more than 43,000 to the venue the Chargers abandoned a day earlier.

Just now, LondonBrown said:

Apparently half the soccer stadium were Fins fans as well

More than half.   Phillip Rivers said after the game the loudest cheers he heard all game was the one when the FG was missed at the end of the game by the Chargers

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Seriously?   Who owned the lots that were charging that kind of money?  Community? Private?  The Stadium? The Chargers?

I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

32 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I don't know but I heard the same thing about $100 to park.    Just crazy....  The organization is a total shit show.

100 bucks to park??? Yeah...that will really bring'em to the stadium.

Archived