THE BROWNS BOARD

2017 QB Watch

Tour2ma

Place to post observations and thoughts as the season rolls along...

Rosen: Got away with a few throws in week 1comeback vs. Ags. Was not good in the first half. Did not see week 2 win.

Darnold: Missed week 1 outing. Looked in on Week 2 vs. Stanford. Nice mechanics on intermediate throws and fairly compact, very over-the-top motion. On long balls cranks up more and lengthens motion. Did not "feel" him...

Mayfield: If you want an emotional leader, look no more. Devastating intermediate game... throws darts. Very strong TOR. Deep ball?

Jackson: Can't overlook the Heisman holder. Kid looks bigger and stronger than 2016, and much more confident.

New Faces...

• Shea Patterson, Nick Fitzgerald MsSU - I may have a new Bulldog to love. Hasn't played anyone yet, but after two "warm-up" games his line is 60/78 for 918 yd 9 TD and 1 INT. The kid puts touch on 60-yd passes. He's a 6'5", 230 lb. Junior.

11 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

This is the thread for which QB a team will take after we trade down with them. 

I don't think we will end up in position to trade down or take QB's. You have to get near 1-15 to do that. Not gonna happen.

Kizer might be a good QB we'll have to see how the season plays out......meanwhile start looking at franchise OL to protect him.

Oh there will also be a need for good QBs in the 2018 draft.

On 9/11/2017 at 9:44 AM, mjp28 said:

Kizer might be a good QB

I plan to watch him, too... ;)

On 9/10/2017 at 4:19 PM, wargograw said:

Patterson's from Ole Miss.

Corrected... Nick's my guy. Another great game vs. LSU. Great size... really nice release... good movement.

Week 2 update...

In the bits I saw, I really liked Darnold's cool and field vision vs. Texas.

Struggling with Rosen... like a lot of his game and saw more touch this week, but seems to lack a measure of control.

As noted above... really liking Nick Fitzgerald's game. Bit of a runner, but seems to like the pocket, too. Not overly eager to pull it down and take off.

MSU Bonus: Holy crap is Simmons a load on their DL... and he is only a Soph.

Did not see Mayfield this week.

Surprised how over matched Jackson looked vs. Clemson. I like Herbie, but when a QB is out of sync with every receiver, I kinda think the QB has something to do with it.

Getting ready to swap to Ole Miss game as soon as USC-tu is over. Figure since I mentioned him in the OP I owe Shea Patterson a look... even if the mention was by mistake.

Well... Shea patterson was the kid I saw last week... or at least one of them. I gotta start taking notes. Anyway he's a talented, young kid with a gun and a very quick release plus elusiveness and touch, but he's a kid with a ways to go. Look froward to seeing him develop.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I plan to watch him, too... ;)

Corrected... Nick's my guy. Another great game vs. LSU. Great size... really nice release... good movement.

Fitzgerald is awesome. The SEC is straight loaded at QB this year. 

Really liked Darnold last night. Ehlinger looked really good too. Kid went to my HS. I was at most of his games. Hope he loses every game now. 

On 9/16/2017 at 11:32 PM, Tour2ma said:

Week 2 update...

In the bits I saw, I really liked Darnold's cool and field vision vs. Texas.

Struggling with Rosen... like a lot of his game and saw more touch this week, but seems to lack a measure of control.

Rosen throws the best ball.  His problems seem to be that he takes risks that you may not want him too. Perhaps he has to try too much...because clearly it seems that he is going to get no help whatsoever from the UCLA defense.  When you put up 45 points you should win. I think his "lack of control" stems from that, and can be either coached out or could be brought under control if he didn't have to try to be Superman.

Archived