THE BROWNS BOARD

Repair all damage in Texas? Florida? Why?

mjp28

QUESTION: Should the US Government or others be in the business of rebuilding perennial  flood plain, sand dune, barrier island and coastal hurricane damage areas?

Is it just a losing cause and should other plans made for example  just to secure certain highways and utilities and forgo beach front properties? 

It looks like they will need hundreds of billions of dollars just to repair damages in Texas, Louisiana and Florida alone this year.

Your thoughts?

And related to the above questions would also be the massive developments in wildfire areas which can and do frequently burn to the ground. 

New national policies due?

Sunday 3 am, looks like Miami and the populated east coast miss the worst and the beautiful everglades, Marco Island, Naples and Sanibel island are going to be devistated!

Interesting point.   Why should the rest of us pay to replace/repair your property just because you wanted to live somewhere that you think is "nice"....yet is certain to be devastated from time to time by hurricanes etc.  

And this thread coincides with your other one:  tell these people to move to Akron/Dayton/Cleveland where they are not very likely to suffer devastation.   But no...its too cold for them here, eh? 

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

If I could only pick one I'd prefer to help people during a natural disaster than to support deadbeats and illegals.

Of course these people should have insurance whether or not it's expensive.

WSS

If you can only pick one?    Then why do you limit your choices to just those two.  Perhaps you could list every government program there is.

If I could only choose one I would rather have the roads fixed.

If I could only choose one I would rather have them build stealth fighters.

If I could only choose one I would rather have them fix bridges.

If I could only choose one I would rather let people have their social security and medicare

If I could only choose one I would rather give big tax cuts to corporations and the wealthy.

If I could only choose one I would rather have the FBI catch serial killers.

etc. etc. etc. 

Or spend hundreds of millions trying to repair sand dunes in relatively small areas that just get wiped out by the next storm? Rebuilding the same flooded out houses along oceans or rivers time after time? Nice but futile? 

At 18 trillion in debt our "want" choices are getting squeezed.  $18,000,000,000,000, whoa.

Archived