THE BROWNS BOARD

Four...or Five teams In, Four...or Five teams out

The Gipper

EVERY year since the playoffs were extended to 12 teams in 1990 (that is now 27 years)  at least 4 teams that made the playoffs the previous year failed to make it the following year.   And at least since like the year 2000 except one single year,  that number is 5 teams.  So every year for a generation or more at least 4 or 5 new teams make the NFL playoffs.

So....the question for you all here is:    Which 4 or 5 teams that were in last year will be out this coming year.    And which 4-5 teams that were out last year will be in.  It is almost a guarantee that that will happen.

To refresh your memories, here are the teams from last year that made the playoffs:

AFC:  Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Texans, Chiefs, Raiders

NFC: Cowboys, Giants, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Seahawks.

And if you want to know my guesses for the 5 out and the 5 in:

Out in AFC: Dolphins and Texans.   In will be the Titans and Chargers

Out in NFC: Cowboys...who have a major dropoff,  Lions, and Falcons.   In will be the Eagles, Panthers and Buccaneers.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

AFC:  Patriots, Dolphins, Steelers, Texans, Chiefs, Raiders

NFC: Cowboys, Giants, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Seahawks.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:59 AM, Tour2ma said:

Div Champs: AFC - Steelers, Titans, Pats, Chiefs; NFC - Packers, Falcons, Giants, Seahawks

Wild Cards: AFC - Raiders, Texans; NFC - Cards, Vikes

Therefore...only three this year..

IN: Titans, Cards, Vikes

OUT: Fins, 'Boys, Lions

General Predictions:

AFCE:  Patriots will win...not because they really are all that.  It is the absolute weakness of the AFCE...and actually the AFC overall. Jets will be worst team in football. Bills will be Bills.  And Dolphins could be OK....at best a potential WC.

AFCN: Steeler will win...again...not because the really are all that, but because of the weakness of the AFCN....the Browns may actually be as big a challenger to them as the other two teams...and the Browns will really be no challenge.

AFCS: Titans will win.   Colts without Luck.  Jags could be good but their QB is a basket case. Texans could be good, but they may have to rely on a rookie QB...and I don't see that Watson will be this year's Dak Prescott.

AFCW: Raiders are the oncoming team in this divison/conference/league.  Chargers may finally play up to potential (they have been the most underachieving team in the last 5 years.).  KC will be a tough out.   Denver could challenge..but like Texans....no solid QB play. (Wouldn't it be rich if the Big B.O. has to take over and leads them to a playoff spot?  I do not predict that that will happen...but, it could if the Denver defense plays up to reputation.

NFCW:  Like the AFCW, this will be a competitive division. I think all four teams have a chance...but I do predict that the Cowgirls will falter...and possibly not even make the playoffs. Giants and Eagles I think are solid playoff contenders....and Redskins could be give that Kirk Cousins is playing for his free agency money.

NFCN: Packers the clear favorites.   Bears the clear bottom dweller.  Where will Lions and Vikings end up?  They could each be Top Ten draft teams next year....or they could both make the playoffs.  Stafford a quality QB...but the team around him? Shaky.  And despite some seemingly good numbers...does anyone have any confidence in Sam Bradford as a playoff caliber QB?  I do not.  But team around him could be better than team around Stafford.

NFCS:  Several solid contenders:  Panthers looking to get back to their Super Bowl form from 2 years ago. They have the talent to do it.  Falcons should be reigning NFL Champs.  The guy that cost them the Super Bowl is gone.  Yes, I mean Kyle Shanahan. His play calling decisions cost the Falcons the title.  I do expect a fall back for them. Losing Super Bowl teams ALWAYS  turn bad the next year. At least they have since the Bills made losing the SB an Art Form.  And like DaVinci...no since has quite done it better.   Buccaneers could have a breakout year. New Orleans still dangerous...but still likely with no defense.

NFCW:  Seahawks and Cardinals only playoff contenders.   Rams and 49ers....again both may be Top 5 in picking in the draft. Goff may go the way of the like of Jamarcus Russell. 49ers have a backup...Hoyer, starting for them.  They are just waiting for the Josh Rosen/Sam Darnold sweepstakes. But these two will have to compete with the Jets for that honor.

21 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So...you think things will be different than they have been for the past 27 years at least?   

You mean 16? Because 5 is not 4...

So do I mean different from the past 16? Clearly... or else I'd have had one more different team... at least...

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

You mean 16? Because 5 is not 4...

So do I mean different from the past 16? Clearly... or else I'd have had one more different team... at least...

The report was that it has been a minimum of 4 in 4 out since 1990.  And in like the last 17 years it has been 5 except for one year.

Either way...you said that it would only be 3 in and 3 out.  So, I ask again.....why do you think things will be different this year than they have been the last 27 years?

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The report was that it has been a minimum of 4 in 4 out since 1990.  And in like the last 17 years it has been 5 except for one year.

Either way...you said that it would only be 3 in and 3 out.  So, I ask again.....why do you think things will be different this year than they have been the last 27 years?

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Clearly... or else I'd have had one more different team... at least...

Archived