THE BROWNS BOARD

Prediction

Westside Steve

A.

Because if Houston was a 3, Irma is a 5, they -hope- it diminishes to "only" a 4 after rampaging

over some mountainous Caribbean Islands... hope it doesn't hit Florida by some miracle...

Actually Harvey was a 4 when it hit Texas and degraded slowly as it sat and spun there. Irma has the possibility of hitting as a very strong 4 which blows away all mobile homes and similar structures like they aren't even there. And if it hits Miami directly will bring a lot of drowning storm surge. It has potential to be like the Galveston 1900 hurricane, the worst killer storm in US history. Let's just hope it stays east and blows itself out some before coming ashore further north.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, Westside Steve said:

Hurricane Irma will be:

A.  The most devastating storm in decades.

B . Somewhere between Houston and Katrina

C. A disappointment, as hurricanes go.

WSS

On 9/6/2017 at 4:56 PM, Westside Steve said:

My money is on C. Like the SARS virus.

WSS

awkward-meme.jpg

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Always a good idea to wait till the end of the game to make your prediction.;)

WSS

Everybody gets one. Besides, I think we can all agree that we'd rather have had your prediction be right than the current situation on the ground.

8 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Everybody gets one. Besides, I think we can all agree that we'd rather have had your prediction be right than the current situation on the ground.

Yep. Maybe I'm a cynic but it does seem to me that the Press has a tendency to exaggerate things to make them more spectacular. Understandable I guess as they want as many people tuning in as possible.

WSS

My friend in Nokomis who lives a couple of blocks from the inlet just N of Venice had to evacuate mandatorily by this morning. Luckily she has a friend who has a condo built later than her place which is on higher ground and built to withstand higher hurricane speeds. Hopefully it does not come in at a Cat 4 there. I advised her to find another alternative as a backup like a reinforced concrete building that has an inner stairwell she can get in well above storm surge. Another friend in Boca Raton on the E side of Florida is breathing a sigh of relief that it went further west (so far).

16 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Yep. Maybe I'm a cynic but it does seem to me that the Press has a tendency to exaggerate things to make them more spectacular. Understandable I guess as they want as many people tuning in as possible.

WSS

Steve they did not exaggerate Harvey. If anything they have under-reported what it did to all the small communities around Houston and Beaumont.  Having lived through the edge of Audrey, a 1957 smaller Cat 4 that killed over 400 people, I can tell you that they are not exaggerating what this monster can do if it hits as a strong Cat 4. I will never forget the sound of very large pine trees hitting the ground just outside and parallel to our home. Had they fallen toward us rather than next to us I would not be typing today. And we were just on the edge so winds were in the 80s to low 100s, not 140-150.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Steve they did not exaggerate Harvey. If anything they have under-reported what it did to all the small communities around Houston and Beaumont.  Having lived through the edge of Audrey, a 1957 smaller Cat 4 that killed over 400 people, I can tell you that they are not exaggerating what this monster can do if it hits as a strong Cat 4. I will never forget the sound of very large pine trees hitting the ground just outside and parallel to our home. Had they fallen toward us rather than next to us I would not be typing today. And we were just on the edge so winds were in the 80s to low 100s, not 140-150.

My point is that they exaggerate everything for ratings. If by chance one or two of the situations live up to the hype so be it.

WSS

Archived