THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Zomboni on the run

Zombo

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I am a little Englander and naive I'm sure but there are people who choose to live in a place called "Tornado alley", why dont they just move? Baffles me

Tornado alley extends from Texas up through the central part of the US, sometimes also called the breadbasket because of all the wheat that is grown in that same area. Kind of hard to just abandon that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I am a little Englander and naive I'm sure but there are people who choose to live in a place called "Tornado alley", why dont they just move? Baffles me

I live in tornado alley. Never had any issue from it. 

4 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Since it likely looks like it's gonna hit the east coast, I'm coincidentally evacing to Naples. I'm hoping most people going North instead of West and it won't be too bad.

Those places  like the nice hotels you gotta think about have been around a long time. They'll survive, but the myriad of mobile/dilapidated homes in Miami is too many to count. Unless a shift happens? Just pray for those people is all I can say.

They (the beach hotels) have been around for a long time, but have they ever taken a direct hit from a Cat 5? Nope. Let me refresh your memory what Cat 4 Andrew looked like in 1992.

Image result for hurricane andrew devastation pictures

True, about the shacks. But what was\is the structural design of the beach high rises? I'm not about to research the building codes in South Florida. For sure, 140 mph winds will at least blow out all the glass in the side facing the storm. 2" thick bullet proof glass would probably survive- but how do you have that anchored into the walls? 

Cat 5 is exponentially worse that a cat 1 like x250 as bad, we really don't know how bad except it will coast mega billions to fix.....if they even bother!

At least after Andrew Florida had the sense to impose building codes to hurricane standards.

14 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Since it likely looks like it's gonna hit the east coast, I'm coincidentally evacing to Naples.

Then you can water Zombo's plants for him...

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tornado alley extends from Texas up through the central part of the US, sometimes also called the breadbasket because of all the wheat that is grown in that same area.

It's a huge area... hard for folks on "that lil island" to fathom. ;)

Fun Fact: Where hurricanes go they make their own "tornado alley".

14 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

The thing about tornados is that they are so random.  The house across the street from you can be blown away while your house is not touched. You may never in a millenium have a tornado hit you...A Hurricane however is all encompassing.  If you live in Houston, New Orleans, Miami...the Carolinas and any areas along the southern coast it is not if but when a major hurricane hits you. 

Yes, if you live in Oklahoma and Kansas...Tornado Alley....you are more likely to have a tornado come through (and fyi...there is no Land of Oz on the other side)...but again, even for those areas it is random.

You can ask the same question about anyone living on the west coast:  isn't there a threat from an earthquake or a tsunami?  Yes, there is. But again, far more random.

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

You can ask the same question about anyone living on the west coast:  isn't there a threat from an earthquake or a tsunami?  Yes, there is. But again, far more random.

I'll take our earthquake threat every day of the week and twice on Sundays compared to the hurricane and tornado threats that seem to come through every year.   Been years since we have had an earthquake that was even noticeable and even that one lasted about 20 seconds. 

12 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I'll take our earthquake threat every day of the week and twice on Sundays compared to the hurricane and tornado threats that seem to come through every year.   Been years since we have had an earthquake that was even noticeable and even that one lasted about 20 seconds. 

Well.....I will take the tornado threat over the earthquake threat.  I have lived here for 65 years and never had a tornado come close to me. Oh, there may have been a small one that tore up some stuff maybe 15 miles away...and that was like 15 years ago.

On the other hand...if I lived in Xenia..it would be a different story.  Since the 70s they have had a couple of F5s hit.

Xenia has a history of severe storm activity. According to local legend, the Shawnee Indians referred to the area as "the place of the devil wind" or "the land of the crazy winds" (depending upon the translation).[9] Records of storms go back to the early 19th century. Local records show 20 tornadoes in Greene County since 1884.[citation needed]

On April 3, 1974 a tornado[10] rated F5 on the Fujita scale cut a path directly through the middle of Xenia during the 1974 Super Outbreak, the second largest series of tornadoes in recorded history. The disaster killed 34 people (including two Ohio National Guardsmen who died days later in a related fire), injured an additional 1,150, destroyed almost half of the city's buildings, and left 10,000 people homeless. Five schools, including Xenia High School, Central Junior High School, McKinley Elementary, Simon Kenton Elementary, and Saint Brigid Catholic School were destroyed, as were nine churches and 180 businesses.

The city's plight was featured in the national news, including a 1974 NBC television documentary, Tornado!, hosted by Floyd Kalber. President Richard Nixon visited stricken areas of Xenia following the devastation. Comedian Bob Hope organized a benefit for Xenia and, in appreciation, the new Xenia High School Auditorium was named the "Bob Hope Auditorium." In recognition of their coverage of this tornado, the staff of the Xenia Daily Gazette won the Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Reporting in 1975.[11]

Xenia was struck by an F2 tornado on April 25, 1989 and again by an F4 tornado on September 20, 2000. The 1989 tornado caused over $2 million in damage, but no one was killed. The twister of 2000 killed one person, and injured 100 people. This tornado followed a path roughly parallel to the 1974 tornado.[12][13]

Xenia currently has a system of tornado sirens. After the 1974 tornado outbreak, the city purchased a system of Federal Signal Thunderbolt Sirens for warning. During the 2000 tornado strike, the lack of backup power silenced the sirens, so the city purchased Federal Signal 2001-SRN series sirens with battery backup. Most of Xenia's old sirens are still standing, but not operational.[citation needed]

I remember an interview with a guy in Xenia who showed pictures of these two huge oak trees in his front yard before the tornado and nothing left but big holes there that he showed in the interview. His house survived somehow and he talked about how he watched them come up by the roots, twist together and then disappear.

We had a rare F5 hit just north of us in Jarrell, Tx that killed 27 people when it wiped out a housing development.

17 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Here's the difference London. A tornado is a localized event, (rarely more than 1,000' (300 meters) across and the path is usually only 10 miles (16 kilometers) long at most. Also the very top destructive tornadoes (F5) are rare. Irma is the equivalent of an F3 tornado hundreds of kilometers across. 

Gip mentioned the Xenia tornado of 1974. I was in school at the University of Dayton at the time, Xenia is almost a Dayton suburb. Emergency people wouldn't let anyone in the area for weeks afterwards- but when I drove through, the damage was incredible. It looked like they had taken a team of bulldozers and completely leveled a path a mile long and several city blocks wide. It's a miracle more people weren't killed. The interesting thing about tornadoes is what they can do to trees (besides level houses). My bike rides take me across the path of one of those tornadoes. Yes, trees can be uprooted in those storms- But the telltale sign you've dealt with a tornado is the sudden wind burst can snap a tree a meter across in half like a toothpick. BTW, hurricanes frequently spawn tornadoes in their outer storm bands. 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Here's the difference London. A tornado is a localized event, (rarely more than 1,000' (300 meters) across and the path is usually only 10 miles (16 kilometers) long. Also the very top destructive tornadoes (F5) are rare. Irma is the equivalent of an F3 tornado hundreds of kilometers across. 

Gip mentioned the Xenia tornado of 1974. I was in school at the University of Dayton at the time, Xenia is almost a Dayton suburb. Emergency people wouldn't let anyone in the area for weeks afterwards- but when I drove through, the damage was incredible. It looked like they had taken a team of bulldozers and completely leveled a path a mile long and several city blocks wide. It's a miracle more people weren't killed. The interesting thing about tornadoes is what they can do to trees (besides level houses). My bike rides take me across the path of one of those tornadoes. Yes, trees can be uprooted in those storms- But the telltale sign you've dealt with a tornado is the sudden wind burst can snap a tree a meter across in half like a toothpick. BTW, hurricanes frequently spawn tornadoes in their outer storm bands. 

Consider what parts of London and other UK cities looked like after the blitz. Or Dresden.  That was Xenia after the F5 went through.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Probably for the best, Hurricane Jose' will be making landfall to some of the caribbean islands by Saturday.

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

They (the beach hotels) have been around for a long time, but have they ever taken a direct hit from a Cat 5? Nope. Let me refresh your memory what Cat 4 Andrew looked like in 1992.

Image result for hurricane andrew devastation pictures

True, about the shacks. But what was\is the structural design of the beach high rises? I'm not about to research the building codes in South Florida. For sure, 140 mph winds will at least blow out all the glass in the side facing the storm. 2" thick bullet proof glass would probably survive- but how do you have that anchored into the walls? 

Irma will be downgraded to a category 4 before it hits Florida, but if Miami takes it to the teeth then it will be quite devastating nonetheless.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have lived here for 65 years and never had a tornado come close to me. Oh, there may have been a small one that tore up some stuff maybe 15 miles away...and that was like 15 years ago.

When I was still in LaPorte one hit ~500 yards from my front door. I heard the freight train.

I also learned that if I'm ever caught in one near a convenience store to shelter in its walk-in cooler.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Here's the difference London. A tornado is a localized event, (rarely more than 1,000' (300 meters) across and the path is usually only 10 miles (16 kilometers) long at most.

We had a bad Spring this year. One Storm sprouted seven tornadoes. The worst was on the ground for 51 miles...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Tornadoes-Leave-Trail-of-Damage-in-Van-Zandt-County-420827173.html

Hey, all kinds of disasters could happen:

1. Super Volcanos like Yellowstone or Lake Toba  (Indonesia) could erupt

2. Mt. Rainier...Mt. Fuji, Mt. Vesuvius could all wipe out major nearby cities like Tokyo, Seattle/Tacoma, and Naples Italy

3. The Cumbre Viejo Volcano could slide into the sea, and cause a tsunami up to 500 feet tall along the East Coast of the US...among other places

4. A 185 mph hurricane could hit Miami.   (Oh...that may be about to happen)

5. The New Madrid Fault Earthquate could occur....wiping out Memphis...and Ghoolie with it..and maybe even St. Louis.

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The entire US would be fucked if yellowstone erupted (mostly the ash, global cooling, death of agriculture and contamination of water supplies, etc), luckily we would be able to detect such a thing probably years before it happened - so nothing to worry about anytime soon.

Toba would be a similar result.

2. Mt. Rainier...Mt. Fuji, Mt. Vesuvius could all wipe out major nearby cities like Tokyo, Seattle/Tacoma, and Naples Italy

All risky, and near major population centers. The cities would be destroyed, but should be able to evacuate a sizable amount of people ahead of time.

3. The Cumbre Viejo Volcano could slide into the sea, and cause a tsunami up to 500 feet tall along the East Coast of the US...among other places

This one - probably was overblown for TV. Land sides would probably be gradual and not all-at-once to cause a mega tsnunami

The models show not just Miami now, but will possibly hit the entire peninsula.

5. The New Madrid Fault Earthquate could occur....wiping out Memphis...and Ghoolie with it..and maybe even St. Louis.

If it happens like it did 200 years ago, then it will be quite catastrophic

This one - probably was overblown for TV. Land sides would probably be gradual and not all-at-once to cause a mega tsnunami

IF this Volcano blew up the same way that Mt. St. Helens did....with its largest landslide in recorded history I think....then yea, it could easily be a 500 foot tall tsunami...if not bigger:

On 9/7/2017 at 4:42 PM, The Gipper said:

Don't forget the zombie apocalypse!

I just talked to Flugel. He & his wife staying put in Largo, Fla. Their area has not been marked for evacuation & they have nearby shelters if worse comes to worse. He hopes to watch the Browns' game but, of course, communication access may prohibit that. He DID say that, win or lose, we should not over react & remain positive. He will keep me updated as able.

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I just talked to Flugel. He & his wife staying put in Largo, Fla. Their area has not been marked for evacuation & they have nearby shelters if worse comes to worse. He hopes to watch the Browns' game but, of course, communication access may prohibit that. He DID say that, win or lose, we should not over react & remain positive. He will keep me updated as able.

Mike

It may not be marked for evacuation....but it may be marked for destruction.

Grateful to have my daughter and son in law home for the week.....they had preplanned their trip home, but the timing was/is impeccable....still praying for my nephew who is riding the storm out in Bradenton and my kids home, which they boarded and sandbagged before leaving....

3 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Grateful to have my daughter and son in law home for the week.....they had preplanned their trip home, but the timing was/is impeccable....still praying for my nephew who is riding the storm out in Bradenton and my kids home, which they boarded and sandbagged before leaving....

My  pal's son is going to ride it out in Clearwater (he's a doc, so might be needed there) his wife and child just took a flight out of Dodge.  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

My  pal's son is going to ride it out in Clearwater (he's a doc, so might be needed there) his wife and child just took a flight out of Dodge.  

Hopefully relatively high in a reinforced concrete building. Not a good spot to be in if it hits there as Cat 4.

Archived