THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Zomboni on the run

Zombo

Hurricane Irma a 5 and headed for my house.

Me and the girl are packing up and heading to Knoxville, TN for a week.

So I won't be on top of moderation, fantasy leagues, Great Zomboni's preseason predictions, etc, but hopefully I can catch up once we are up there and settled in.

Stay safe and dry my Florida friends, and fuck Pittsburgh!

Zombo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to you and find some free wifi, and we all can hate pburg from anywhere in the USA, Canada, Mexico or anywhere else that knows the difference between soccer and real football! 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My daughter was scheduled to take a cruise out of Miami.....on Saturday.  I certainly expect that to be redone somehow.

A nurse I know just took a cruise with the kids this time from Galveston, last we heard she was still in Mexico somewhere.  Hunker down South America, USA. ....or get smart and relocate back to nice and very climate OHIO!

Here is a tracker.....it could nail the Miami area.....or Key West.  Or it could slip into the Gulf between Fla and Cuba....the head into the Gulf, where it could curl into west Fla  where Z is in Naples of above.

Or, it could keep on going and head straight for the warm waters of the Gulf....and be a hazard for anywhere from Fla to South Padre Island TX.  Imagine if it nailed Houston again.

https://www.cyclocane.com/irma-storm-tracker/

Sorry,   but these events just hurt Zombos  real estate business.  I and my wife, for one have decided basically that we will not retire anywhere near the east coast or Gulf coast.    The closest we may get would be if we would retire near my daughter in San Antonio....but that is about it.  We will visit these areas on vacation.....but never move there.

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Take care - I hope Flugels and his Wife are going to be okay... they just moved to Florida from Tennessee some

weeks ago.....

Oh?  I did not know that.  Didn't see where he had posted that.  Flugel hosted me and Hoorta last year at his home for the Browns/Titans game, for which I again thank him.   Bad timing though.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Oh?  I did not know that.  Didn't see where he had posted that.  Flugel hosted me and Hoorta last year at his home for the Browns/Titans game, for which I again thank him.   Bad timing though.

Yes, Tom mentioned he was moving to the St. Pete area. Not only he might get hit by a hurricane, he left Nashville too early and missed the eclipse. :(

Those guys who own boats at the Cove Inn where I stayed in Naples better be ready to move 'em, a Cat 4 will deposit them in downtown Naples.

I have friends who live in Bellaire just south of Clearwater, they wouldn't get washed out into the Gulf, but they have a couple of big trees that are potential house smashers.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

So I won't be on top of moderation, fantasy leagues, Great Zomboni's preseason predictions, etc, but hopefully I can catch up once we are up there and settled in.

Zombo

Hopefully you dodge a bullet with your house. I dont wish that type of loss/damage on anyone. 

Godspeed Z!!! 

I live in Austin, and we got the outer edge of Harvey.  Me & the wife live in a valley, but on the top of a hill, on the 4th (top) floor of our building.  It was like listening to a freight train all weekend.  I can only imagine what it was like in the gulf.

We've lived here 2 years and it's flooded about 3 times.  Can't stand the weather here.  We're either going back to Monterey, maybe SoCal, or preferably Oahu.  LOL

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

Be safe, man!!!

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Sorry,   but these events just hurt Zombos  real estate business.  I and my wife, for one have decided basically that we will not retire anywhere near the east coast or Gulf coast.    The closest we may get would be if we would retire near my daughter in San Antonio....but that is about it.  We will visit these areas on vacation.....but never move there.

If you like golf they have a Sun City up Georgetown way and a high speed (80-85mph limit) toll road (130) to I-10 just E of S.A. What used to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours now takes an hour max. And it comes to the back side of Sun City within a few miles on a no real traffic 4 lane (195).

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6966937,-97.6632115,13z

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If you like golf they have a Sun City up Georgetown way and a high speed (80-85mph limit) toll road (130) to I-10 just E of S.A. What used to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours now takes an hour max. And it comes to the back side of Sun City within a few miles on a no real traffic 4 lane (195).

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6966937,-97.6632115,13z

Not a golfer any more. Can't say that SA area is my choice of a location to retire....but its not bad and there are a lot worse places.  And of course it could be a family matter.  I have no grandkids...yet....but I don't know if I like the idea of having a long distance relationship with grandkids...if/when I do have them.  I do believe that my daughter is decided that she is entrenched in SA.   Her job, boyfriend, everything there now.  Son is in upstate NY...but that is for grad school....and though he will continue to be there a long time  (assuming he passes his "A" level exam....a step toward him getting his PhD from Cornell which he is actually taking as we speak)  that is not likely going to be his permanent location. That is highly up in the air.  Like I said, SATX is a more entrenched location for family....unless I decide "fuck it" I am going where I want.  But then....I do have a wife that has a certain say so.  And if you know wives....they likely have all the say so. Fair to say?

Not big on the traffic in/around SA or Austin.  Its getting awful, no?  Maybe more like Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera? I dunno.  Like I said, not as appealing to me.  I would maybe prefer near Sedona AZ .  (near, not in....as Real estate price in Sedona prohibitive surely). But, like I said, not likely unless the kids are there.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

A nurse I know just took a cruise with the kids this time from Galveston, last we heard she was still in Mexico somewhere.  Hunker down South America, USA. ....or get smart and relocate back to nice and very climate OHIO!

That's just it, Those who love warm weather year round & the ocean or Gulf- well, it's just a matter of time until a Cat 4 or 5 hits the Miami - Fort Lauderdale area. It would really suck to have 2 major population areas wrecked in one year. I'm blaming Willis Carrier (the guy who invented air conditioning) for this stuff. Pretty sure there would be a lot less population on the Florida coasts if there wasn't indoor climate control. 

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

That's just it, Those who love warm weather year round & the ocean or Gulf- well, it's just a matter of time until a Cat 4 or 5 hits the Miami - Fort Lauderdale area. It would really suck to have 2 major population areas wrecked in one year. I'm blaming Willis Carrier (the guy who invented air conditioning) for this stuff. Pretty sure there would be a lot less population on the Florida coasts if there wasn't indoor climate control. 

That's a great point - because there is no way in hell I'd even visit Florida without air conditioning. The humidity there is ungodly.

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's a great point - because there is no way in hell I'd even visit Florida without air conditioning. The humidity there is ungodly.

Well, in the winter it would be nice.....which is what it once was.  A winter destination to get out of the cold.   Now where do you go to get away from the heat and humidity. It seemed like the northwest was a place, Washington/Oregon....but yumping yesus, they are having record highs in the 100s with bad fires. 

And, you know...if you ever have been exposed to the mosquitos and black flies that come out in the summer in Canada....man you don't want to be exposed to that. 

(And think of what kind of malaria breakout could occur in Houston as a result of Harvey.  Maybe malaria is no longer a problem in this country even in that kind of weather...but just think if it were.   Or...how about West Nile Virus.  I had a good friend of mines father die of that a few years back)

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But then....I do have a wife that has a certain say so.  And if you know wives....they likely have all the say so. Fair to say?

Not big on the traffic in/around SA or Austin.  Its getting awful, no?  Maybe more like Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Bandera? I dunno.  Like I said, not as appealing to me.  I would maybe prefer near Sedona AZ .  (near, not in....as Real estate price in Sedona prohibitive surely). But, like I said, not likely unless the kids are there.

Wife's have say so? It's more accurate to say husbands have no say so! LOL! Otherwise I'd be living in Estes Park, Colo. and not near her damn book and bridge clubs. Let 'em set  roots and they never leave even though she loves the cooler weather in Estes Park. We actually looked at homes there for a couple of weeks, but when my brother assured us we could stay in their second master bedroom for months at a time if we wished, that did me it.

We like to go to Fredericksburg for the quaint little shops though I can never get her to eat anywhere else than the Peach Tree Inn.

Speaking of mosquito-borne illnesses.... whatever happened to the Zika virus?

And not to get off on a thing, but there are areas of Houston (and the rest of the Gulf Coast through Florida and up its other side) that should not be rebuilt/repaired in kind.

The Houston area has had six, 100-year storms since 1989. It's had three, 500-year events in the past three years.

9 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

... I can never get her to eat anywhere else than the Peach Tree Inn.

der Lindenbaum here... real deal German cookin'.

Archived