THE BROWNS BOARD

Final 53....or not...

Mudfly

Ok.....so we are now at 53 and the numbers seem whackadoodle in terms of how many at each position....

I know there is no set # for each position group and these things can evolve, But Im seeing some that I dont think will stick....

Here's what looks "off" to me.....(the short side)

1) 4 corner backs.....ridiculously low.....we need at least 2 more....heck, 3 will be playing A LOT at the same time.....

2) 5 linebackers......see CB....I guess we do have a couple DL types that can slide back, if needed.....(better not cut Orchard)

So....we are seriously lacking numbers(depth) in the CB and LB positions.......which means we have extras in ????

1) The most obvious.....4 QB's.....one will have to go.....

2) 10 O-Linemen.....way too many for the average team.....one(or 2) will have to go......no good ones, so PS is safe and likely for a couple

3) 10 D-linemen.....again...thats a lot....unless they are our bu LB's, as mentioned above.....

Wouldnt surprise me if the Browns are working the phones, trying to work trades to dump a DL or QB.....and get a CB , at least....

Possible trade bait could include....Kessler, Hogan, Orchard, Ogunjobi, Brantley....or maybe a surprise player...who knows?

Can we start the season with 4 CB's?.....kind of reminds me of last year, when we entered the season severely depleted on the OL and LB depth....but didnt address it until it was too late.......will we right that error this season, or just plod ahead with massive holes????

I'm sure we are still working on the latest drops from other team 53s as they have added waived players. Might be one or 2 more gems out there before we reach the "real" 53. Might take a few more days. Meanwhile I have two days to refine my list for my fantasy league. Draft is Wed. @ 6pm central.:D

imo Somewhere it's going to fall between Ogunjobi or Brantley to PS,now with TY McGill (NCSU WOOFpack in d house)in the fold OR Orchard or Meder Out..On--OL Zterup(get Winston from Cinn. in) or Durango to PS OR Dump Vitale OR 1 of Martin or Reiter which to me are the same player.. 

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Ok.....so we are now at 53 and the numbers seem whackadoodle in terms of how many at each position....

I know there is no set # for each position group and these things can evolve, But Im seeing some that I dont think will stick....

Here's what looks "off" to me.....(the short side)

1) 4 corner backs.....ridiculously low.....we need at least 2 more....heck, 3 will be playing A LOT at the same time.....

2) 5 linebackers......see CB....I guess we do have a couple DL types that can slide back, if needed.....(better not cut Orchard)

So....we are seriously lacking numbers(depth) in the CB and LB positions.......which means we have extras in ????

1) The most obvious.....4 QB's.....one will have to go.....

2) 10 O-Linemen.....way too many for the average team.....one(or 2) will have to go......no good ones, so PS is safe and likely for a couple

3) 10 D-linemen.....again...thats a lot....unless they are our bu LB's, as mentioned above.....

Wouldnt surprise me if the Browns are working the phones, trying to work trades to dump a DL or QB.....and get a CB , at least....

Possible trade bait could include....Kessler, Hogan, Orchard, Ogunjobi, Brantley....or maybe a surprise player...who knows?

Can we start the season with 4 CB's?.....kind of reminds me of last year, when we entered the season severely depleted on the OL and LB depth....but didnt address it until it was too late.......will we right that error this season, or just plod ahead with massive holes????

The 4 CB situation makes me wonder why in the hell did they flat out dump Haden. Gonna rummage the scrap heap to find something better? Doubtful. If it was pay commisurate with performance, in this case the Browns just shot themselves in the foot.

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The 4 CB situation makes me wonder why in the hell did they flat out dump Haden. Gonna rummage the scrap heap to find something better? Doubtful. If it was pay commisurate with performance, in this case the Browns just shot themselves in the foot.

Haden was pitiful in the preseason. In the Bucs game, Evans and Jackson didn't play. Haden was getting torched by guys who are likely about to be selling insurance.

28 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah....not crazy about the whole Haden deal.....it's a step back to the crap they did last year, which would really piss me off...

Basically, dumping players w/o a back up plan or any better players to fill the gap.....I get that these guys aren't our future, but if we dont have a replacement it's stupid(and angering) to have them chopping viable players......just a sign that they dont value winning right now......(which pisses me off)....

I see lots of positive steps with this team.....but also too many completely avoidable steps backward....

32 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Yeah....not crazy about the whole Haden deal.....it's a step back to the crap they did last year, which would really piss me off...

Basically, dumping players w/o a back up plan or any better players to fill the gap.....I get that these guys aren't our future, but if we dont have a replacement it's stupid(and angering) to have them chopping viable players......just a sign that they dont value winning right now......(which pisses me off)....

I see lots of positive steps with this team.....but also too many completely avoidable steps backward....

^^^^ This. Sashi "we're happy where we are with the CB situation." You're not going to be happy if one of them gets hurt or concussed. Zero depth there.  :(

We were never going to fix every position this off season.

An issue with the low CB/LB nose count is that is where core ST'mers come from. Barring multiple, single-game injuries to one position, I think more Game Day impacts will come from ST's than the D.

You have to look at the PS as well... and right now it has a LB and a DB. More of each will be added. Some will likely come today from the names in the 2nd wave of waives we unleashed yesterday. They will practice with us and be available the week after any need may arise... same as an Inactive on the 53.

Seems we may actually carry four QBs into the first week... http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Need-to-Know-Browns’-4-quarterback-room-likely-temporary/e9df25ab-407b-4415-99ec-41870bf48125

How much further will we carry four? Probably not much... This quote from the article makes me think the Kess speculation may be warranted.

“I think what is important is how we want to play on offense, in our system and getting to play. This is a new year, so we are starting over a little bit,” Jackson said.

The thing that Kess showed was not new this year was his willingness to throw down the field. And we know that is part of how Hue wants to play...

Both Kizer and Hogan were willing. If Woodrum was/is as well...

28 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Do they still have a DB on the PUP list?

Howard Wilson.....a 4th or 5th round pick.....who I believe is out for the season.....(and, if not, will be coming back from a major injury with zero practice or experience).....

23 minutes ago, Alkid3 said:

We should be alright. 4 QBs is a little weird though 

4 cb's is weirder....I promise....we play 3 consistenly and if one goes down, we have only 1 guy left....and he has no experience and was just cut a few days ago....gonna leave us very exposed.....

I cant think of a year that we didnt have one or 2 go down for a measurable period....and w/o a legit #1 cb, we are gonna be eating some dirt in the defensive backfield fo sho......if our top guy goes, then well have a #3 covering ones.....a 4 covering 2's etc......not good.....

Archived