THE BROWNS BOARD

A and him put Rosen on Heisman lead

The Gipper

Yep-A&M coaches screwed the pooch by not telling the 18 y.o. QB replacement that he needed to run the clock down every play that whole 4th Q. Sumlin is history. Not even my middle school football coaching son is that boneheaded. We were cussing summy so much my wife was threatening to turn off the TV. Not only that but the two big first half RBs had a total of 3  carries between them the whole second half. Who is that dumb other than maybe Charlie Strong?

A and him? Hmmmm. 

I had an unscheduled impromptu personal tour of all of Aggieland at about 2 am in 1982, a plebe and I got stuck on the LAST standby flight out of DFW on a botched flight on a business trip there and I had a guaranteed rental car at the local airport there.....poor girl was sleeping on the counter waiting for me to get there well after midnight. The plebe's ride had long left him so I drove him to his dorm but he gave me a tour of the whole very empty place back then. I never got the young man's name.....too bad I wonder what ever happened to him and his career? Sure was a BIG place just the cows and us were up at that time....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.

13 hours ago, mjp28 said:

....then I had to drive through Bryan out to beautiful Hearne, TX.

So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.

This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So you went to historic Hearne huh. It has it's own NFL history. There is a dentist there (maybe now retired since he is about 70) who owns the NFL record for longest net punt in the NFL. The record is 98 yards and it can't be broken, only tied. The ball was hiked from the 1 ft. (so it counts as a yard) line and rolled dead on the 1 ft (again a yard) line. If it went in then it's just a net of 79 yards since it comes out to the 20.

This a trivia question for the Gipper. Name that punter/dentist from Hearne, Texas who returned there after his NFL career to establish his practice.

I remember John Randle but not any pro punter.

When I worked for GATX the largest railroad tank car manufacturing facility in the USA was in Masury, OH along with the largest repair shop and a big waste treatment facility all which were shut down in 1984. The plant was about 3 1/2 miles long quite an operation, production went to other non-union shops largely in Texas. Our second largest repair shop was in Hearne, TX which I was visiting  along with 6 other smaller shops in Texas. We also had and still do have the largest fleet of leased tank cars in the USA. I left in 1983.

7 hours ago, wargograw said:

Wouldn't that be 99 yards and 1 foot? Why is it 98?

The ball gets counted officially as on the 1 yard line, even if it's less, on both ends of the punt, so the net gain can only be 98 in the record books. I was watching it on TV from my parents home in Conn. while getting ready to report to Infantry School about two weeks later. So I got to see it from initial placement to the full rolling dead. Amazing punt.

Here's the full story behind his kick and how he became a punter in college and on to the Jets. I was a good friend of his roommate Tommy Maxwell (still am) and we shagged punts for him for a pro scout from Houston Oilers. That ball stayed up so long every time that I finally understood how Maxwell could often arrive for the tackle at the same time the ball arrived to the punt returner. Maxwell later got a Superbowl ring with the Colts as a CB.

This interview says his practice is in Bryan, but I'm fairly certain he started it in his home town of Hearne.

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Don't know:  best guesses:   Horace Gillam?

(Ray Guy seems an obvious answer, but I don't think it is him)

Edit:  Oh, I see you answered it.  Never would have gotten it. Never heard of that Steven O'Neal.   A guy named Steve O'Neill was once the owner of the Cleveland Indians though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_O'Neill_(owner)

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Don't know:  best guesses:   Horace Gillam?

(Ray Guy seems an obvious answer, but I don't think it is him)

Edit:  Oh, I see you answered it.  Never would have gotten it. Never heard of that Steven O'Neal.   A guy named Steve O'Neill was once the owner of the Cleveland Indians though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_O'Neill_(owner)

His records at A&M stood until Shane Lechler showed up about 30 years after O'Neal. Lechler is still punting and currently has the longest average per punt in the NFL for a career. His average is over 5 yds per punt greater than Ray Guy. He should retire today rather than go downhill from 47.5 yds/punt.:lol:

Small world.  Hearne way back was a big rail hub in the southern USA, if you look at a rail map (and why would you) a lot of lines just seems to converge in that area. Hearne itself was just a dot on the map just over 5,000 people well I haven't been there since the early 1980s so I looked it up today:

.....With the construction of a depot in Hearne in 1868, businesses began to open, including a hotel, saloons, churches and a cotton gin. Two rail lines met in Hearne by the 1870s. Hearne's population was 2,129 in 1900 and 3,511 in 1940. Between 1943 and 1946, a prison camp operated near the city limits and held several thousand German prisoners of war. Agricultural and manufacturing businesses came to Hearne by the 1960s. By 1990, over 5,000 people lived in Hearne; the population was 4,690 in 2000.

Wal-Mart closure

On New Years' Eve 1990, the Wal-Mart in Hearne closed. After closure, the store was converted into the current Hearne High School. Merchants in downtown Hearne by that time had already folded their businesses because they were unable to compete with Wal-Mart. The New York Times reported that out of more than 1,500 Wal-Mart stores in the nation, the Hearne store was one of six that had closed.......

That's it.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:08 PM, The Gipper said:

Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago.  May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79

There is an old air strip just outside Hearne where I learned how to be a skydiver and earned my sport jumpmasters license. Also used to take a train from there to Austin to visit my grandparents back in the 50's. I gave my old license to my skydiving daughter after she won a national meet as a member of a 4 person skydiving relative work team in Denver. Twenty different formation in 60 seconds of freefall and they were perfect. I was never that good.

I arrived in Hearne between 2 and 3 am for the first time and saw nothing but barb wire fences and cows out of College Station /Bryan headed west, I didn't know that I was even there until I saw a HEARNE FORD sign on a building. 

Had an 8 am meeting which I postponed and was staying at the Best Western motel, went next door to the Ponderosa diner all dressed in my northern Yankee garb caring an attache case and realized immediately I was the only one there with a jacket and tie, not a bolo.......just the beginning of the differences between Youngstown area and Tex-ass! And the plant, what a mess by our uptight standards........ :o

On 9/5/2017 at 1:08 PM, The Gipper said:

Actually, I see, having looked up its location, that I too have been through Hearne TX....but just drove through. On my way taking my daughter to college 5 years or so ago.  May have stopped for lunch...but otherwise just passed through on the way to SA on Hwy. 79

If you were on 79/190 through Hearne you went right by our GATX repair shop right next to 79 and the tracks that went for miles many with inbound or outbound tank cars.

58 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

If you were on 79/190 through Hearne you went right by our GATX repair shop right next to 79 and the tracks that went for miles many with inbound or outbound tank cars.

I dunno,  I was just looking the yellow and white lines on the road in front of me....or I was looking for some Golden Arches.  I have been to a number of Texas towns and paid quite a bit of attention to what is there...but not Hearne.

And just when I think you can't get any more stupid Sumlin does it again. With  a 7 point lead less than 40 seconds  to go on 3rd down with the other team having no time outs. Do they take a knee and end the game with a win as the clock has to run out before the play clock does. No-they throw an incomplete pass and then risk it all by kicking a field goal against a team that has already blocked one this year. Fortunately it was good, but it didn't even have to be kicked. So stupid even an elementary school coach would have taken a knee and the sure win.:huh:

On 9/3/2017 at 10:31 PM, The Gipper said:

Looks like Texas A&M just gave the lead in the Heisman race to Josh Rosen of UCLA given that he came back from a 34 point deficit

Meh... I watched that game and did not see a Heisman winner. Kid has tools to be sure, but some of the throws he got away with in the comeback were ill-advised... and that's being very kind.

Apparently he threw 5 TDs in today's game, which I did not see.

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Meh... I watched that game and did not see a Heisman winner. Kid has tools to be sure, but some of the throws he got away with in the comeback were ill-advised... and that's being very kind.

Apparently he threw 5 TDs in today's game, which I did not see.

And Darnold & Co ate up Stanford so there's that.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well, some people think that Baker Mayfield may have pushed himself up to near the top of the heap of Heisman Candidates with Saturday's game.  Maybe, maybe not.   But Barrett clearly fell off the heap.

Mayfield at least gets props for best flag plant of the year. And no one in the OSU band would try to stop him.;)

On 9/12/2017 at 9:04 AM, The Gipper said:

What World do you live in Alice?  Where worst is best and best is worst, and up is down and down is up.

Oh come  on Gip. If it wasn't OSU it would have been fun to watch. I saw Baylor beat A&M one night in Waco for the first time in 20 years when they went for the 2 point conversion in overtime. They took down one of the goal posts and marched it around the field before taking it through the exit into downtown Waco. I am surely an A&M fan, but looking at it from their point  of view it was spectacular. :D:D

Oh how short memories can be, Urban Meyer has lost 7 games in 6 years up to today..... 7.

And who can forget 2014:

.....After a 12–2 season the previous year, Ohio State signed a highly ranked recruiting class and entered the season ranked No. 5 in the AP poll and No. 6 in the coaches' preseason poll. In the second game of the season, Ohio State was upset by Virginia Tech, 35–21. Following the loss, Ohio State won five consecutive games, including four against Big Ten opponents. In the ninth game of the season, Ohio State defeated Michigan State in a rematch of the previous year's Big Ten Championship Game. After the 49–37 win over the Spartans, the Buckeyes moved into the top ten in all major polls. After a 42–28 win over bitter rival Michigan, Ohio State completed their third consecutive undefeated Big Ten regular season, and earned their second consecutive berth in the Big Ten Championship Game, where they defeated Wisconsin 59–0. In the first season of the College Football Playoff, Ohio State was selected as the No. 4 team, where they defeated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl 42–35. The win advanced the Buckeyes to the 2015 College Football Playoff National Championship Game, where they defeated Oregon 42–20 to capture the 2014 national championship.

Will something like that happen in 2017 probably not.......but who knows? :o

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh come  on Gip. If it wasn't OSU it would have been fun to watch. I saw Baylor beat A&M one night in Waco for the first time in 20 years when they went for the 2 point conversion in overtime. They took down one of the goal posts and marched it around the field before taking it through the exit into downtown Waco. I am surely an A&M fan, but looking at it from their point  of view it was spectacular. :D:D

You are not getting what I said....you said that was the "best flag plant"......when it was the worst flag plant.  Hello! that was a turf field...not a grass field.  You couldn't plant anything in it.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

Ag, why can't Christian Kirk fair catch a punt? We are losing serious yardage with him letting everything go. 

Also, did you see that pass hit him in the numbers in the endzone and he dropped it? 

I was actually more impressed with our freshman RB from Baton Rouge and that great catch from another freshman toe-tapping the sidelines. Kirk just looked off all day starting with the muffed punt.

I would argue it's not out of the norm lol. 

Kibodi looks like a small Derrick Henry. Upright runner. 

My ideal scenario is we squeak out these next two games. Florida and Bama beat us so bad that we fire Sumlin during the bye week (no I'm not rooting for a loss but since those losses are pretty assumed, I hope they're fire-worthy). Then we have a new lease on life with the interim coach and we win out. 

Archived