THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns trade for WR Sammie Coates

LondonBrown

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst case scenario a look in their O playbook to compete with Haden giving them our D plays lol. 

Honestly early on I posted that Coates was a likely Steelers cut and a good get for the Browns. He can be really good and really bad. Saunders just needs to get him focused. 

OVERVIEW

Finished his career with a yards-per-reception average of 20.9. In 2014, named second-team All-SEC and was a Senior Bowl invitee. Dominated in loss to Alabama with 5 receptions for 206 yards and 2 touchdowns. In 2013, started 12-of-14 games he played in and averaged 54.1 yards per touchdown reception. Played in 11 games in 2012. Redshirted in 2011 after suffering foot injury that required surgery before season started. Led Leroy High School (Ala.) to Class 2A State Championship, earning MVP honors with 5 catches for 60 yards and 2 touchdowns.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Looks the part. Long legs with well-proportioned frame. Outstanding combination of size and speed. Good acceleration off the snap for a receiver with his length. Can take top off defense and open up the underneath. Will beat bold cornerbacks over the top if they wait to turn and run. Forces cornerbacks onto their heels and gets easy, open looks on dig routes. Makes easy in-cut with maximum separation. Ability to win big plays vertically. Saved best performances for big games. Put 206 yards and two touchdowns on Alabama in 2014.

WEAKNESSES

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3

NFL COMPARISON

Martavis Bryant

BOTTOM LINE

Big, fast and raw. Vertical wide receiver with the ability to hit big plays and have dominant games. Coates must be coached to trust his quarterback and run through his deep routes in order to reach his potential. He has early round traits and late-round receiving skills right now, but the upside will be hard to pass on and could pay off in a big way. He will be tethered to the JUGS machine in rookie camp.

3 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Worst case scenario a look in their O playbook to compete with Haden giving them our D plays lol. 

Ya, a little tit for tat.

We needed WR depth.

And it's the same pick we got for Justin Gilbert. I'll take that trade.

Zombo

6 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Ya, a little tit for tat.

We needed WR depth.

And it's the same pick we got for Justin Gilbert. I'll take that trade.

Zombo

A used condom would be highly offended if it was traded for Gilbert, so getting a player out of him is like striking gold.

So quick question on this, because I am seeing two different things. Some people  are saying that we gave them our 2019 7th rounder and others are saying we got theirs. Wondering who is right. Regardless I don't see the harm, it basically comes down to a straight up player for player trade at the end of the day. He can't be any worse than what we have after Coleman. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Buffalo said:

So quick question on this, because I am seeing two different things. Some people  are saying that we gave them our 2019 7th rounder and others are saying we got theirs. Wondering who is right. Regardless I don't see the harm, it basically comes down to a straight up player for player trade at the end of the day. He can't be any worse than what we have after Coleman. 

We get Coates AND a 2017 7th.

They get 2018 6th.

we get Coats & Pitts 2019 7th rounder...Pitt gets 2018 6th rounder...Just like Ragland deal..If a rook is in rook contract you get nothing till rook' orginial contract ends(is what it looks like)..More hidden agent crap imo.....Welcome Aboard Sammie Coats!! Auburn battle with Louis for #3WR #WarEagle    

I really like coates but with justin hunter playing well he was the odd man out. Hes strong as hell for a receiver with good speed. His hands arent the best and hes broken some fingers pretty badly. His one hand all things considered is pretty mangled for a wr. The browns made a smart move imo and im assuming this saved us from cutting him. I honestly expected him yo make the team but with juju getting drafted that should have been my first sign. 

17 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Small sample size, but 43% catch rate aint gonna cut it. He needs to get up past 60% at least. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr2016

IMO, this is a F with Pittsburgh move.

He literally played with broken fingers. His hands arent great but hes better than 43%

2 hours ago, Zombo said:

Ya, a little tit for tat. We needed WR depth. And it's the same pick we got for Justin Gilbert. I'll take that trade.

Basically Gilbert for Coates and a 7th... if you want to look backwards.

And it you don't want to look backwards, then we swapped a 2019 6th for a 2018 7th, which in the NFL is an equal swap, and they gave us Coates.

I'm good either way...

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Steelers get Haden,  we get Coates.

This is not a third way to look at it.

Pgh is deep in wide receivers, and getting Bryant completely unsuspended 24 hours ago meant someone was likely to go. I thought Droppius Wayward-Boy would go. If Bryant gets caught again Pgh will wish they had Coates back. 

Meanwhile Pgh allegedly is in the hunt for T.J. Ward. They could have a half Browns def backfield that would actually be pretty good - if this was 2014. They seem to be rolling the dice more than usual this year.

1 hour ago, Buck The Frowns said:

They seem to be rolling the dice more than usual this year.

Could be they are not sure when the Rothlesberger window is closing, so making a push now...

and/or

Concerned about signing Bell... his reported "ask" is a cap buster.

56 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Could be they are not sure when the Rothlesberger window is closing, so making a push now...

and/or

Concerned about signing Bell... his reported "ask" is a cap buster.

Makes sense. When Bell does go on the open market, they will have to put extra shifts on at the US Mint to print enough money. OTOH he is not exactly Jim Brown in durability.. He has never completed a full season without injury. But there will be a big payday there unless he gets severely injured this season. Gotta admit though Pgh seems to know when to let a player go.....

2 hours ago, Buck The Frowns said:

Pgh is deep in wide receivers, and getting Bryant completely unsuspended 24 hours ago meant someone was likely to go. I thought Droppius Wayward-Boy would go. If Bryant gets caught again Pgh will wish they had Coates back. 

Meanwhile Pgh allegedly is in the hunt for T.J. Ward. They could have a half Browns def backfield that would actually be pretty good - if this was 2014. They seem to be rolling the dice more than usual this year.

We arent going to miss coates. I like him but he wont be missed. We have Brown, bryant, juju, justin hunter and eli rogers. As far as ward is concerned mitchell is still hurt with no time table, thats the only way i see ward getting signed. 

8 minutes ago, Buck The Frowns said:

Makes sense. When Bell does go on the open market, they will have to put extra shifts on at the US Mint to print enough money. OTOH he is not exactly Jim Brown in durability.. He has never completed a full season without injury. But there will be a big payday there unless he gets severely injured this season. Gotta admit though Pgh seems to know when to let a player go.....

Bell wont hit the open market, he just wants more guaranteed money  and his "i want 17" was a joke with players on the team. 

Archived