THE BROWNS BOARD

Hamilton Tiger Cats

The Gipper

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The Mike Florio story said that other reports, such as this one, that the T-Cats were not interested are wrong.  So...you have dueling reporters.

Just as an aside:   What are all y'alls favorite Canadian Football League team.....if you have one? For me, maybe Ottawa or Edmonton.

(FYI  TSN....the Canadian Sports Network, proclaimed Doug Flutie as the greatest player in CFL history. Warren Moon was #5.

Damon Allen....Marcus Allen's younger brother was in Top 50.  Doug Flutie's brother Darren was too. 

Other well known players that did time in CFL:   QBs Dieter, Tom Clements, Joe Kapp, Jeff Garcia.  RB Cookie Gilchrist.  Former Ohio St. star Jim Stillwagon.

I just think that Manziel could be a fit up there....if he keeps his personal life act together.

10 minutes ago, Mark O said:

That's a huge IF....

Yes, I know

Flutie was pretty good up there as I recall.   Haven't watched a game in years.   I guess I liked Toronto when Gretzky was one of the owners.

Flutie won like 5 titles while there, no?

Canadian Football League career[edit]

Flutie played in the Canadian Football League for 8 years. He is considered as one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play Canadian football. In 1990, he signed with the BC Lions for a two-year contract reportedly worth $350,000 a season. At the time he was the highest paid player in the CFL. Flutie struggled in his first season, which would be his only losing season in the CFL. Over the next seven years he would go 99-27 as a starter.[21] In his second season, he threw for a record 6,619 yards on 466 completions. Flutie was rewarded with a reported million-dollar salary with the Calgary Stampeders.

Flutie won his first Grey Cup in 1992 with the Stampeders. He was named the Grey Cup MVP.

During his last years in Calgary, Flutie's backup was Jeff Garcia, who later went on to start for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers. Flutie won two more Grey Cups with the Toronto Argonauts, in 1996 (The Snow Bowl, held in Hamilton, Ontario) and 1997 (held in Edmonton, Alberta), before signing with the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League in 1998. Prior to his final two Grey Cup victories with the Argonauts, Flutie was hampered by the opinion, supported by the media, that he was a quarterback who could not win in cold weather. In both 1993 and 1994, the Stampeders had the best record in the league, but lost the Western Final each year at home in freezing conditions. After first refusing to wear gloves in freezing temperatures, in later years Flutie adapted to throwing with gloves in cold weather.

His career CFL statistics include 41,355 passing yards and 270 touchdowns. He holds the professional football record of 6,619 yards passing in a single season. He led the league in passing five times in only eight seasons. He once held four of the CFL's top five highest single-season completion marks, including a record 466 in 1991 which was surpassed by Ricky Ray in 2005. His 48 touchdown passes in 1994 remains a CFL record. He earned threeGrey Cup MVP awards, and was named the CFL's Most Outstanding Player a record six times (1991–1994, and 1996–1997). He passed for 5,000+ yards six times in his career and remains the only player in pro football history to pass for 6,000+ yards in a season twice in his career.

On November 17, 2006, Flutie was named the greatest Canadian Football League player of all time from a top 50 list of CFL players conducted by TSN.[22] In 2007, he was named to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, the first non-Canadian to be inducted.[23]

1 minute ago, broganreynik said:

Haven't they had enough negative publicity lately? Albeit, Manziel is a step-up from Briles.

To quote PT Barnum: "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

When in hell is the last time anyone around here ever mentioned the words:  Hamilton TigerCats?

Or, to quote Brendan Behan:  "The only bad publicity is your obituary".

Archived