Alkid3

Haden a Steeler

24 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Colt McCoy was the best QB we had on the roster when I called for him to start, as noted by him still being employed and if the team had been built up around him he could have succeeded.

We haven't been able to run the ball like we did when we had Lawrence Vickers at FB. 

Trent Richardson had a better season his rookie year with Weeden at QB than Crowell has had in 3 seasons.  

Tyrann Mathiew is a really good player... who did we take just before he went? McFadden- Does he even play anymore?

Derek Carr IS a Franchise QB.

Kevin Hogan IS this teams best all around QB.

Joe Haden WAS this teams best DB.

Devalue my talent evaluation if you must, but I've been solid IMO.

And you are the only one here that holds yourself in high opinon.  As many have said:  see what PoG says, and advocate the exact opposite.

• Like 1

The guy has been playing on a bad groin for the last two seasons. He wont have to be the number one corner and the steelers wouldnt have paid him 7m if they didnt think he had anything left. I have no expectations but if hes fully healthy the signing is substantial. I dont believe he will be prime joe haden but i think he will be solid and thats all the steelers need. Solid. 

17 minutes ago, Gafreleets said:

Yes, but do you understand that whether it was a new contract or restructuring of a old one....... they were STILL willing to pay him 7mill a year.

That's just not something you do for someone who isn't starter capable or is (as one of your posters said) the 4th or 5th best CB on the team.

Know what every other team in the NFL pays CBs that aren't starter capable or are the 4th or 5th best CB on their team?

Me neither, but I guarantee it isn't 7 million dollars.

So must be something left in the tank if you guys were willing to part with that type of money.

Well, maybe the FO was willing to give him that kind of money for past services rendered and for "good will"  (especially when the Browns were so far under the salary cap that it didn't hurt to give their 4th best CB that kind of bonus contract).  What also seems clear is that this new DC didn't really do any advocacy on his behalf because he felt he was no longer a viable significant contributor.....in his system.  Perhaps Joe will be a viable contributor in the steelers zone system....making it worth it to them to pick him up at that price. But he was not going to fit in here with a DC that had no confidence in him. 

I think the one thing you can say about Williams is that he no sentimentalist.  He doesn't give a shit about a guys past, or his off field status.  He just cares about putting guys in there that can play well for him. He must not have thought that about Joe.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And you are the only one here that holds yourself in high opinon.  As many have said:  see what PoG says, and advocate the exact opposite.

I find that hard to believe. 

I'm a coach so I know what to look for in talent. 

My soccer team went to the championship last year and we are undefeated this season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The guy has been playing on a bad groin for the last two seasons. He wont have to be the number one corner and the steelers wouldnt have paid him 7m if they didnt think he had anything left. I have no expectations but if hes fully healthy the signing is substantial. I dont believe he will be prime joe haden but i think he will be solid and thats all the steelers need. Solid. 

You are the one who said it:  he will be playing in the zone.  At this point in his career, with his skills diminished, that may be helpful for him, and he may become a solid contributor. Time will tell.  One thing we do know: In Williams system, against the Browns below mediocre receiving corps, Haden was not cutting the mustard. So, perhaps it is best for him to go to a new system.  Of course, we here all wish Joe no personal animosity....but if he pulls/tears his groin again.....it will only be his wife and Steeler fans that will be unhappy.  And we can live with that.

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

My soccer team went to the championship last year and we are undefeated this season.

That one word tells us all we need to know:  soccer.     How many of your players keeeck a touchdown?

(and you say that you find it hard to believe that people here don't trust your talent evaluation skills?   Well, why don't you just ask the people here.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

You are the one who said it:  he will be playing in the zone.  At this point in his career, with his skills diminished, that may be helpful for him, and he may become a solid contributor. Time will tell.  One thing we do know: In Williams system, against the Browns below mediocre receiving corps, Haden was not cutting the mustard. So, perhaps it is best for him to go to a new system.  Of course, we here all wish Joe no personal animosity....but if he pulls/tears his groin again.....it will only be his wife and Steeler fans that will be unhappy.  And we can live with that.

Good thing his contract is incentive laden. If he doesnt and hes great we know who will be sad. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I dont believe he will be prime joe haden but i think he will be solid and thats all the steelers need. Solid. 

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Now I know why I had a Solid Shi$ tis morningB)

I have a player on my team that also plays football, he's actually doing both right now. I started coaching him when I was still tying his shoes. He's a playmaker and actually scored twice today. His Older brother was just signed by the Broncos. DyMonte Thomas? Hope he makes the cut. Just took an interception to the house for a pick 6 vs. the Cardinals. 

2 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Good thing his contract is incentive laden. If he doesnt and hes great we know who will be sad. 

Incentive laden?  I thought that the Steelers were giving him a straight 7 million bucks.  Are you saying that if he sucks he won't collect all that?

As for who will be sad....PoG maybe.  Right now it seems that the Browns defense is better off without him...even if he does reasonably well over there.

7 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

This guy can't be real. There's no way someone would actually say this.

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Gipper said:

Incentive laden?  I thought that the Steelers were giving him a straight 7 million bucks.  Are you saying that if he sucks he won't collect all that?

As for who will be sad....PoG maybe.  Right now it seems that the Browns defense is better off without him...even if he does reasonably well over there.

He gets that but the following 2 years he can be cut without a ton of dead money. 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I have a player on my team that also plays football, he's actually doing both right now. I started coaching him when I was still tying his shoes. He's a playmaker and actually scored twice today. His Older brother was just signed by the Broncos. Devante Thomas? Hope he makes the cut.

When you are hired by the Broncos...or any NFL team let us know.  Just because you have a nefarious association with a guy doesn't make you a talent evaluator.  My nephew graduated HS with LeBron James.  Does that mean that the Cavs should hire me as a scout?

Just now, Vagitron said:

He gets that but the following 2 years he can be cut without a ton of dead money. 

OK, right.  Well, that is any NFL contract basically  (except Brock Osweiler's :wacko:

2 hours ago, Gafreleets said:

Yes, but do you understand that whether it was a new contract or restructuring of a old one....... they were STILL willing to pay him 7mill a year.

That's just not something you do for someone who isn't starter capable or is (as one of your posters said) the 4th or 5th best CB on the team.

Know what every other team in the NFL pays CBs that aren't starter capable or are the 4th or 5th best CB on their team?

Me neither, but I guarantee it isn't 7 million dollars.

So must be something left in the tank if you guys were willing to part with that type of money.

Potentially trying to get him to restructure in order to make him more enticing for a trade? No one would trade for a broke down cb commanding 11 million a year. You are saying you guys still wanted to pay him 7 million a year like we were offering him a new contract. He was already under a contract we had him regardless. If the rumor is true we were offering to eat part of his salary in a trade then if we really wanted to keep him at 7 why just cut him outright at 11 million unless we truly didn't want him?

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Make no mistake. 

Joe is 100% again and every bit worth the contract he was given two years ago.

We fucked up. Just admit it. We got cute and disrespected Joe and be burned us for doing so. 

Lol we cut him. It's not like we got cute and offered him a smaller contract as a free agent and he left us for our rivals. We saw him get burnt time and time again by our middling wr core and cut ties cause he can't hack it.

17 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Lol we cut him. It's not like we got cute and offered him a smaller contract as a free agent and he left us for our rivals. We saw him get burnt time and time again by our middling wr core and cut ties cause he can't hack it.

I dont know what to expect from him but you cut him because you didnt want to pay him 11m. The browns offered him 7 which is what the steelers are paying and he declined. So yes you cut him but the browns would have kept him if he accepted the reduced salary. 

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Vintage and a Heathy Joe Haden. Jamar Taylor. Body-Count. Peppers. Kindred. Pryor. I would be perfectly content with that backfield over ANY other in the NFL. 

There you go again...

You've not been without your share of hits, but you have to let go of some of your misses to get credit for the hits.

For example...

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Trent Richardson had a better season his rookie year with Weeden at QB than Crowell has had in 3 seasons.

The most salient fact in your comparison is that Crow has had three seasons with which to compare  TR's pre-bust, one-hit wonder...

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 3:16 PM, Vagitron said:

I dont know what to expect from him but you cut him because you didnt want to pay him 11m. The browns offered him 7 which is what the steelers are paying and he declined. So yes you cut him but the browns would have kept him if he accepted the reduced salary. 

Who is to say they weren't offering that to make him more trade friendly?

6 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Who is to say they weren't offering that to make him more trade friendly?

How does that even make any sense? They asked him to reduce his salary and he said no and he was released. The browns wanting him or not wanting him isnt going to effect how other teams evaluate him. Frankly despite his recent injuries i think the browns with all the cap room made a mistake in cutting him. I guess we will all find out soon enough. 

On 9/2/2017 at 0:04 PM, PoeticG said:

Believe it. 

Soccer has about nothing to do with football. Sure, Richardson had a semi-decent rookie year, and then totally flamed out with 2 different teams. It was more than not having a FB to block for him. He's out of football- probably for good.  I'll grant you Mathieu and Carr, but Derek wasn't exactly rocket science. My opinion was anyone but Manziel. BTW, Tyrann got kicked off of LSU for repeated drug violations, and posted a whopping (harhar) 4 reps at 225. 

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

How does that even make any sense? They asked him to reduce his salary and he said no and he was released. The browns wanting him or not wanting him isnt going to effect how other teams evaluate him. Frankly despite his recent injuries i think the browns with all the cap room made a mistake in cutting him. I guess we will all find out soon enough. 

They knew that other teams would be more likely to trade for him if he didn't have as high of a salary? Maybe they knew no one would trade for a cb who is getting paid lock down corner money at 11 mil/yr when he is no longer a lock down corner. If he is only making 7 maybe a team would be willing to trade for him.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:04 AM, PoeticG said:

Ok I have to admit I laughed. My first thought was that sounds like the guy who knows how things work because he stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night.:lol:

I don't want to take away from that soccer accomplishment, but it's not football, just futbol. Totally different skill sets except for kickers (GB's Crosby converted from the soccer field in HS)

• Like 1

Yeah so can we get to week one already when everyone will bitch and point fingers?

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 11:04 AM, PoeticG said:

This is sarcasm, right? Has to be. Although the following posts make it seem more straight-shooting.

Please tell me this is just great deadpan self-depracating sarcasm.