THE BROWNS BOARD

Haden a Steeler

Alkid3

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

However, if he winds up kicking ass for the Steelers...

It's possible and releasing him could still have been the right move. We won't play much zone; PTG will. Joe used to excel in man... either press or off; now... no.

17 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Gafraleets best post ever above.

Unparalleled economy of words...

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You are adorable.

Dumb as a box of rocks, but adorable nevertheless.

Miktoxic is the man. Tread carefully pilgrim.  You don't want dat dick, boy. 

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You are adorable.

Everyone has to embrace at least one of our curmudgeons... I think it's in our bylaws...

I also chose mik.

I was just lookin out for ya noob. No offense. I'm being serious, tryin to help you out, you don't want dat dick boy. It's a jungle in 'ere.

Keep yo head down and talk football. ;) son

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Everyone has to embrace at least one of our curmudgeons... I think it's in our bylaws...

I also chose mik.

mik's the best damn curmudgeon on this board bar none. Didn't we make him King or something? here's to mik! :P

UntappdCurmudgeonSupplemental.jpg

On 8/31/2017 at 1:38 PM, Gafreleets said:

Again though, if soooo bad that he was a liability and this is actually addition by subtraction for the Clowns.....

Then why were they offering him 7mill to stay?

I understand what we're getting. He won't even be the best on our team, but he's a starting caliber CB in the NFL and the browns, the Steelers, the cowgirls, and at least 3 other teams tried to retain/obtain his services.

Maybe he's not the dumpster fire people here are trying to make him out to be? 

They weren't offering him 7 mil to stay as a new contract they were trying to cut down his current contract to 7 million. He was already under contract they weren't offering him a new one. Can you see the difference?

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

It's possible and releasing him could still have been the right move. We won't play much zone; PTG will. Joe used to excel in man... either press or off; now... no.

Unparalleled economy of words...

Agreed. This is one of those stories that lends itself to sensationalism. If he does well, some will make fun of the Browns for doing a dumb thing. OTH if he blows, Browns can laugh at the Steelers. As you implied, the only thing that matters is was releasing him right for the Browns. Williams defense is aggressive, I am thinking he wants guys who keeps receivers in front of them and who can bang. Haden doesnt' seem to be a Williams type player from what I have seen in preseason.

2 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Agreed. This is one of those stories that lends itself to sensationalism. If he does well, some will make fun of the Browns for doing a dumb thing. OTH if he blows, Browns can laugh at the Steelers. As you implied, the only thing that matters is was releasing him right for the Browns. Williams defense is aggressive, I am thinking he wants guys who keeps receivers in front of them and who can bang. Haden doesnt' seem to be a Williams type player from what I have seen in preseason.

Which is nothing. 

9 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

59aa487939cc7_Screen00002.jpg.2a28f151cc2e3a8feab99bef7a32cf3f.jpgPIT needed help at the position.

Haden will be their #1 CB with Burns as the #2 and suddenly PIT has 2 good CB's.

Hopefully, this will be a positive move for both teams.

See you in CLE on September 10th.

I think it is debatable if Pitt will have 2 good CBs.  Joe was cut because the Browns felt they had 3-4 guys that were definitely better.....and no one around here has acclaimed that the Browns have a great defensive backfield.  

So...if  well below average is your standard of what is good.....more power to you.    As noted, Joe may fit better in a zone D.   No longer in mano a mano.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think it is debatable if Pitt will have 2 good CBs.  Joe was cut because the Browns felt they had 3-4 guys that were definitely better.....and no one around here has acclaimed that the Browns have a great defensive backfield.  

So...if  well below average is your standard of what is good.....more power to you.    As noted, Joe may fit better in a zone D.   No longer in mano a mano.

That's not true Gip. I've am stating that the HAD one of the best backfields out there.

Vintage and a Heathy Joe Haden. Jamar Taylor. Body-Count. Peppers. Kindred. Pryor. I would be perfectly content with that backfield over ANY other in the NFL. 

Make no mistake. 

Joe is 100% again and every bit worth the contract he was given two years ago.

We fucked up. Just admit it. We got cute and disrespected Joe and be burned us for doing so. 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

That's not true Gip. I've am stating that the HAD one of the best backfields out there.

Vintage and a Heathy Joe Haden. Jamar Taylor. Body-Count. Peppers. Kindred. Pryor. I would be perfectly content with that backfield over ANY other in the NFL. 

Well, your reputation for talent evaluation is not very stellar.  I will rely on my own.  Show me one objective resourse  that rates the Browns defensive backfield as "one of the better backfields out there"    I doubt it can be done.  

Colt McCoy was the best QB we had on the roster when I called for him to start, as noted by him still being employed and if the team had been built up around him he could have succeeded.

We haven't been able to run the ball like we did when we had Lawrence Vickers at FB. 

Trent Richardson had a better season his rookie year with Weeden at QB than Crowell has had in 3 seasons.  

Tyrann Mathiew is a really good player... who did we take just before he went? McFadden- Does he even play anymore?

Derek Carr IS a Franchise QB.

Kevin Hogan IS this teams best all around QB.

Joe Haden WAS this teams best DB.

Devalue my talent evaluation if you must, but I've been solid IMO.

On 8/31/2017 at 2:30 PM, LogicIsForSquares said:

14 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

They weren't offering him 7 mil to stay as a new contract they were trying to cut down his current contract to 7 million. He was already under contract they weren't offering him a new one. Can you see the difference?

Yes, but do you understand that whether it was a new contract or restructuring of a old one....... they were STILL willing to pay him 7mill a year.

That's just not something you do for someone who isn't starter capable or is (as one of your posters said) the 4th or 5th best CB on the team.

Know what every other team in the NFL pays CBs that aren't starter capable or are the 4th or 5th best CB on their team?

Me neither, but I guarantee it isn't 7 million dollars.

So must be something left in the tank if you guys were willing to part with that type of money.

24 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Colt McCoy was the best QB we had on the roster when I called for him to start, as noted by him still being employed and if the team had been built up around him he could have succeeded.

We haven't been able to run the ball like we did when we had Lawrence Vickers at FB. 

Trent Richardson had a better season his rookie year with Weeden at QB than Crowell has had in 3 seasons.  

Tyrann Mathiew is a really good player... who did we take just before he went? McFadden- Does he even play anymore?

Derek Carr IS a Franchise QB.

Kevin Hogan IS this teams best all around QB.

Joe Haden WAS this teams best DB.

Devalue my talent evaluation if you must, but I've been solid IMO.

And you are the only one here that holds yourself in high opinon.  As many have said:  see what PoG says, and advocate the exact opposite.

The guy has been playing on a bad groin for the last two seasons. He wont have to be the number one corner and the steelers wouldnt have paid him 7m if they didnt think he had anything left. I have no expectations but if hes fully healthy the signing is substantial. I dont believe he will be prime joe haden but i think he will be solid and thats all the steelers need. Solid. 

17 minutes ago, Gafreleets said:

Yes, but do you understand that whether it was a new contract or restructuring of a old one....... they were STILL willing to pay him 7mill a year.

That's just not something you do for someone who isn't starter capable or is (as one of your posters said) the 4th or 5th best CB on the team.

Know what every other team in the NFL pays CBs that aren't starter capable or are the 4th or 5th best CB on their team?

Me neither, but I guarantee it isn't 7 million dollars.

So must be something left in the tank if you guys were willing to part with that type of money.

Well, maybe the FO was willing to give him that kind of money for past services rendered and for "good will"  (especially when the Browns were so far under the salary cap that it didn't hurt to give their 4th best CB that kind of bonus contract).  What also seems clear is that this new DC didn't really do any advocacy on his behalf because he felt he was no longer a viable significant contributor.....in his system.  Perhaps Joe will be a viable contributor in the steelers zone system....making it worth it to them to pick him up at that price. But he was not going to fit in here with a DC that had no confidence in him. 

I think the one thing you can say about Williams is that he no sentimentalist.  He doesn't give a shit about a guys past, or his off field status.  He just cares about putting guys in there that can play well for him. He must not have thought that about Joe.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And you are the only one here that holds yourself in high opinon.  As many have said:  see what PoG says, and advocate the exact opposite.

I find that hard to believe. 

I'm a coach so I know what to look for in talent. 

My soccer team went to the championship last year and we are undefeated this season.

5 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

The guy has been playing on a bad groin for the last two seasons. He wont have to be the number one corner and the steelers wouldnt have paid him 7m if they didnt think he had anything left. I have no expectations but if hes fully healthy the signing is substantial. I dont believe he will be prime joe haden but i think he will be solid and thats all the steelers need. Solid. 

You are the one who said it:  he will be playing in the zone.  At this point in his career, with his skills diminished, that may be helpful for him, and he may become a solid contributor. Time will tell.  One thing we do know: In Williams system, against the Browns below mediocre receiving corps, Haden was not cutting the mustard. So, perhaps it is best for him to go to a new system.  Of course, we here all wish Joe no personal animosity....but if he pulls/tears his groin again.....it will only be his wife and Steeler fans that will be unhappy.  And we can live with that.

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

My soccer team went to the championship last year and we are undefeated this season.

That one word tells us all we need to know:  soccer.     How many of your players keeeck a touchdown?

(and you say that you find it hard to believe that people here don't trust your talent evaluation skills?   Well, why don't you just ask the people here.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

You are the one who said it:  he will be playing in the zone.  At this point in his career, with his skills diminished, that may be helpful for him, and he may become a solid contributor. Time will tell.  One thing we do know: In Williams system, against the Browns below mediocre receiving corps, Haden was not cutting the mustard. So, perhaps it is best for him to go to a new system.  Of course, we here all wish Joe no personal animosity....but if he pulls/tears his groin again.....it will only be his wife and Steeler fans that will be unhappy.  And we can live with that.

Good thing his contract is incentive laden. If he doesnt and hes great we know who will be sad. 

10 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I dont believe he will be prime joe haden but i think he will be solid and thats all the steelers need. Solid. 

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Now I know why I had a Solid Shi$ tis morningB)

I have a player on my team that also plays football, he's actually doing both right now. I started coaching him when I was still tying his shoes. He's a playmaker and actually scored twice today. His Older brother was just signed by the Broncos. DyMonte Thomas? Hope he makes the cut. Just took an interception to the house for a pick 6 vs. the Cardinals. 

Archived